Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Thanks Ilor, Dr. Gargunza, berzerkmonkey, and Zaphod42. When I get back to painting again I will try zenithal and semi-translucent paints. I have all the necessary tools and supplies, I just need to practice I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Cat Face Joe posted:

Really? I've never had any issues with Game Plus stuff. How old are they? All of mine are from the last year.

Mine are from last year as well, but the one that carries my riptide and devilfish are mostly hollow and the walls aren't strong enough. I suppose I should have stacked them differently, and plucked them differently, but they were real cheap so I wasn't too worried about it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Indolent Bastard posted:

I think the thing I need to do is figure out exactly how zenithal priming works. I've seen described a bunch of times I've even seen some videos but for some reason I just don't understand it. I see what supposed to happen but every time I try it it just absolutely gets covered the very first time I apply paint anything the priming just vanishes. :(

I wrote a thing that covers this a while back:
http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=199
- Beaten by a day by berzerkmonkey :shobon:

Like Signal is saying, make sure the paint is pretty thin. You must have transparent layers otherwise the effect is wasted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If you're going to do Zenithal priming I would prime in the color you would basecoat in, and simply don't even paint the major areas of that color. Skip basecoating entirely and go from prime to wash and then detail. I know I've heard people say they do this before.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm going to try Zenithal Priming on my Ironjawz. I've never done it before, but I think I understand the method enough to accomplish it. I don't want to spend $60 at GW though, so does anyone have recommendations for primer I can pick up from Home Depot?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Duplicolor primer from auto parts stores is my favorite.

Unleash the spray paint suggestions!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Update on the jacked up :airquote:demon prince:airquote: I was gifted:

I still have some detail work to do, and I was toying with the idea of making its toenails bright red, or maybe pink.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Update on the jacked up :airquote:demon prince:airquote: I was gifted:

I still have some detail work to do, and I was toying with the idea of making its toenails bright red, or maybe pink.

You turned a disaster into daisies. Well done.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Finished my dread for Konor games tomorrow

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

I think I'm going to try Zenithal Priming on my Ironjawz. I've never done it before, but I think I understand the method enough to accomplish it. I don't want to spend $60 at GW though, so does anyone have recommendations for primer I can pick up from Home Depot?

Krylon Flat Black/White/Gray is fine. You can get the normal stuff - no need to get any special formulations.

BULBASAUR posted:

I wrote a thing that covers this a while back:
http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=199
- Beaten by a day by berzerkmonkey :shobon:
Sorry man - I knew it was done by a Goon, I just couldn't remember who. I have gone back and given you proper attribution!

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

Does anyone have any recommendations for painting blue Necron warscythes? I've never done anything in that vein of weapon before, and all the guides I've seen are the standard green.

I could just slap a highlight on there and call it a day, but as an HQ I'd prefer to get a bit fancier with ol' Anrakyr.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Merton Blask posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for painting blue Necron warscythes? I've never done anything in that vein of weapon before, and all the guides I've seen are the standard green.

I could just slap a highlight on there and call it a day, but as an HQ I'd prefer to get a bit fancier with ol' Anrakyr.

TELL US HOW YOU DID THAT FIRST. :stwoon:

(Seriously, though, Saint Duncan has you covered. Just switch out the colors for bluer shades.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clWZUwAN_zc

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Dr. Gargunza posted:

TELL US HOW YOU DID THAT FIRST. :stwoon:

Hand drill, some 0402 smd blue LEDs, a 2032 button cell battery, and maybe a tiny spdt 1p2t switch mounted in the base. Possibly a resistor as well. I'm not an electrician, so I couldn't tell you which kind you would need.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Ancient finished, figured I'd use him as a candidate for some armour scribbling as the black everywhere was a bit bland.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Hand drill, some 0402 smd blue LEDs, a 2032 button cell battery, and maybe a tiny spdt 1p2t switch mounted in the base. Possibly a resistor as well. I'm not an electrician, so I couldn't tell you which kind you would need.

Thanks! I've been looking into LED lighting for larger stuff, and having some actual item numbers helps make it feel a bit less daunting. (Of course, I'm trying to jump from "has never done LED lighting before" through "plain white backlighting on Lo Pan's Noodle Hut" to "multiple strands of sound-reactive LEDs/fiberoptics rigged up to a raspberry pi tucked inside a Necron Monolith so I can have dubstep Necrons :awesomelon:." I have problems.)

As far as blue-blade color recommendations, I've been using a lot of Privateer Press paints lately. My go-to high contrast blue schemes involve P3 Coal Black and Exile Blue, GW Enchanted Blue (or whatever the modern equivalent is, I think Army Painter Magic Blue?), and P3 Frostbite for edge highlights. Reaper also makes LED Blue, funny enough, as a nice medium-light blue shade. Those and some glaze medium should let you replicate Duncan's green blades in blue very nicely, and you can go up to a tiny amount of pure white on the tips if you want a colder/more glint-y effect.

e: goddammit richyp that's incredible!

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Dr. Gargunza posted:

"multiple strands of sound-reactive LEDs/fiberoptics rigged up to a raspberry pi tucked inside a Necron Monolith so I can have dubstep Necrons :awesomelon:."

Subscribing to newsletter.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

richyp posted:

:words: incoming. By the time I post this I'll probably have been badly beaten.
Snip

TLDR;

It looks like a lot but really: A Primer, Black, White, Grey, Red, Green, Brown, Blue, Yellow, Silver, Gold and 2 different colour washes will do 90% of all tasks.
Thanks for this. I was really hoping there would be some idiot proof starter set to help people get into this, but I can just buy them as I need them. Hopefully I'll be posting my bad little spacemen in a couple weeks.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Thanks, really pleased with the banner.

Beast Pussy posted:

Thanks for this. I was really hoping there would be some idiot proof starter set to help people get into this, but I can just buy them as I need them. Hopefully I'll be posting my bad little spacemen in a couple weeks.

No problem. To be honest, there may well be a decent starter set but I've found in the past that I ended up using only a fraction of the colours that came with a set and buying other pots individually anyway. If you have an idea of what you want to paint and how I'd grab the basic colours mentioned and any specific variants that you will use consistently, rather than mixing each time which is especially important if you're doing a squad/army in a uniform manner.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

You just need a resistor so you don't blow the LED with too much juice. So it depends upon the battery and the LED you're using, but small cheap resistors are fine.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Thanks! I've been looking into LED lighting for larger stuff, and having some actual item numbers helps make it feel a bit less daunting. (Of course, I'm trying to jump from "has never done LED lighting before" through "plain white backlighting on Lo Pan's Noodle Hut" to "multiple strands of sound-reactive LEDs/fiberoptics rigged up to a raspberry pi tucked inside a Necron Monolith so I can have dubstep Necrons :awesomelon:." I have problems.)

As far as blue-blade color recommendations, I've been using a lot of Privateer Press paints lately. My go-to high contrast blue schemes involve P3 Coal Black and Exile Blue, GW Enchanted Blue (or whatever the modern equivalent is, I think Army Painter Magic Blue?), and P3 Frostbite for edge highlights. Reaper also makes LED Blue, funny enough, as a nice medium-light blue shade. Those and some glaze medium should let you replicate Duncan's green blades in blue very nicely, and you can go up to a tiny amount of pure white on the tips if you want a colder/more glint-y effect.

I haven't done any crazy stuff with lighting actual models yet because I'd be scared about destroying it, but my cousin and I are building terrain using 3D printing and basic electronics. Right now we're working on crystal formations that have multi-color RGB LEDs controlled by a dial in the base, so you can flip a switch and have green, yellow, red, blue or whatever shade of glowing crystal you want :)

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I just got in to painting small space barbies about a month ago and have been playing around with not being terrible at everything with it. I'm pretty pleased with my ork waagh so I thought I'd share and get some feedback! (I know a lot of it is going to be "oh my good lord thin your paint!!!")

I need to get a better camera & learn some techniques to not suck so I apologize that these are not the best photos.

Here is my Waaagh warband in all of it's might (minus the dudes not in the shot and sitting on Star Wars Imperial Assault tiles, don't judge)

A closeup of one of my dudes. I went with the typical blue hair. The basing is done with some tufts of grass and a whole lot of boxed pebbledirt.

I decided as I was going through these guys that with this many blades & chainsaws it made no sense for them to be squeaky clean like the gunshooty men, so about half my minis are covered in blood. I managed to get the blood splatter on the blade to look nice for this one. Sorry he's pointing his gun directly at you.

This guy is aight but I like the way his base came out a lot. My technique does leave a lot of the basing falling off as you can see from crumbs in my other photos, need to figure that out.

Some little dudes. The guy on the left is an early static grass attempt, I got a little better at it.

The single Space Marine I've finished. He may be in trouble!

So this entire set is from the ASSAULT ON BLACK REACH set that I bought like, 7 years ago and never put together because I was terrible at painting back then (maybe I still am). In assembling the models, one of the orks was missing an arm. I'm pretty pleased with how this hack came out & I look forward to painting him soon!!

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 3, 2017

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

gay for sex... with me?

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Nailed it. The switch is on the back, hard to see behind the Warscythe. I don't generally use resistors in my infantry models, being as a 2032 or a 1620 put out 3v and the SMDs can handle that easily. I stress tested a few of the LEDs I'm using with a continuous current for over three days with no issues, so I'm not too worried about it. I do use resistors, but generally only in larger models where I've had to up the battery size to accommodate more lights. (Doomsday Ark has 26 or so, that's a 9v)

Only other component worth mentioning is a quick recast of the ribcage and face in a blue-tinted clear resin.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I have had a vague plan to line the inside of my Glaive turret with WS2812B and write some firing/idle animations. I'm not sure if I'll ever do it.

mastergeebo
Sep 26, 2004

Via con Dios, el Dingo

Quidthulhu posted:

I just got in to painting small space barbies about a month ago and have been playing around with not being terrible at everything with it. I'm pretty pleased with my ork waagh so I thought I'd share and get some feedback! (I know a lot of it is going to be "oh my good lord thin your paint!!!")

I need to get a better camera & learn some techniques to not suck so I apologize that these are not the best photos.

Here is my Waaagh warband in all of it's might (minus the dudes not in the shot and sitting on Star Wars Imperial Assault tiles, don't judge)

A closeup of one of my dudes. I went with the typical blue hair. The basing is done with some tufts of grass and a whole lot of boxed pebbledirt.

I decided as I was going through these guys that with this many blades & chainsaws it made no sense for them to be squeaky clean like the gunshooty men, so about half my minis are covered in blood. I managed to get the blood splatter on the blade to look nice for this one. Sorry he's pointing his gun directly at you.

This guy is aight but I like the way his base came out a lot. My technique does leave a lot of the basing falling off as you can see from crumbs in my other photos, need to figure that out.

Some little dudes. The guy on the left is an early static grass attempt, I got a little better at it.

The single Space Marine I've finished. He may be in trouble!

So this entire set is from the ASSAULT ON BLACK REACH set that I bought like, 7 years ago and never put together because I was terrible at painting back then (maybe I still am). In assembling the models, one of the orks was missing an arm. I'm pretty pleased with how this hack came out & I look forward to painting him soon!!

Looking pretty good so far.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So I've been working on some PoM warmachines over the past two weeks and I'm starting to get slightly less awful at it. Paint order went something like Jacks > Rhoven & Honor Guard & Severius > Choir > Errant UA + Seneschal. Took a few pieces to settle on a coherent scheme (Severius and Rhoven both need hilarious repainting and the Choir need cleaned up, Blessing needs more work), but I like the kitup I have for the Exemplars.

https://imgur.com/a/p6Gjj

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Finally finished my Naffatun box:

These were fun to paint, but god drat do they have a ton of detail.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Merton Blask posted:

More clear recasting and more LEDs.

Edit: do you have a link to the clear resin? I'm planning something similar.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 4, 2017

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

gay for sex... with me?

HardCoil posted:

Edit: do you have a link to the clear resin? I'm planning something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Environmenta...castin%27+craft
https://www.amazon.com/Environmenta...TJMTTR1V4SE05RB

The molds were made with Smooth-On. I measure my liquids by weight; that level of tint is 1 drop per 2g of resin.
I did look into making the blades out of lit resin! Unfortunately, even with a strand of fiberoptic running through them they're a bit floppy and don't light as evenly as I would have liked.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Spent far too long painting this... and then hosed it up by frosting it when I tried to varnish it.

Crossing my fingers that the frosting is gone by the time I go home, otherwise I've got to try the gloss->matte route and pray it works.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

glitchkrieg posted:

Spent far too long painting this... and then hosed it up by frosting it when I tried to varnish it.

Crossing my fingers that the frosting is gone by the time I go home, otherwise I've got to try the gloss->matte route and pray it works.

Ah man, that old pit fighter is an awesome mini and you've done a really great job on it. Fingers crossed for the varnish.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

glitchkrieg posted:

Seconds on the good luck. That's a really expressive, fun paint job you have on that guy.

Regarding zenithal priming: I'm half convinced that Mantic employees read our forums, just from the timing on their blog. (This isn't as personal or fun as the Powerfisted journal, but it's about the same amount of info.)
https://manticblog.com/2017/08/04/eckter-zenithal/

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

glitchkrieg posted:

Ah man, what a bummer! The black eye on that guy is a nice touch. This is why i'm too nervous to seal mine.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Zuul the Cat posted:

Ah man, what a bummer! The black eye on that guy is a nice touch. This is why i'm too nervous to seal mine.

Don't use aerosol sealers (or primers for that matter) and you will avoid a bunch of headaches, as well as never worrying about waiting for fair weather to work in.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Been a long time since I've primed anything white. Did I overspray this? Or does white primer tend to settle in recesses like that normally? I used dupli-color, if that matters.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
As long as its a smooth coat, and the detail isnt filled... you should be good to go.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Finally got around to basing my infantry, here's a sample of a few of thew bases since there's like 20 of them.

Decided to try some new techniques to both weather my BMPs and highlight them to make them/the details pop rather than just basecoat + wash. I need some crit on the following BMP pics:

So how'd I do? I'm thinking the dust on the armor skirts on the left/right should be thicker? Overall the hatches and such have proven too small to drybrush the edges with steel color. Any way to get in there to weather those edges? Maybe just user a smaller flat brush overall for the drybrushing?

Also how to take better pictures

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 5, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

glitchkrieg posted:

It absolutely does work.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What color basing should I use for this guy? His base has some tombstones and zombie hands coming up out of the ground.

My choices are either Agrellan Badlands (which is a tan) or Astrogranite dry brushed with Longbeard Grey.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Purple-black with green glow from zombie hands? Model + description sound like a world of Warcraft palette.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

glitchkrieg posted:

Total novice checking in, how does something like that happen? I picked up a can of GW's varnish literally today with the intent of sealing some of the mini's I've painted that have turned out well and would like to avoid a pitfall if I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

NeurosisHead posted:

Total novice checking in, how does something like that happen? I picked up a can of GW's varnish literally today with the intent of sealing some of the mini's I've painted that have turned out well and would like to avoid a pitfall if I could.

Any can of spray can frost if the humidity is poo poo, the can's not shaken properly, it's too far from the model and dries in the air, etc.

If you absolutely have to use a rattle can, I'd highly suggest putting the can in a container of hot water for 5mins before use, shake well, and don't spray too far away from the model.