Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The Loyalists, the Ulema, even the Merchants, what's the difference? Each are stained by incompetence and treachery! Only the Taifas have stood firm for Al-Andalus again and again! Only the Taifas have what it takes to stand with our new Sultan to drag this nation out of the grave you pack of fools have dug for it!

I mean, we're still hella incompetent, you can't forget that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

catlord posted:

I mean, we're still hella incompetent, you can't forget that.

But certainly the least incompetent. :colbert:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

But certainly the least incompetent. :colbert:

Indeed, and least in all other areas too.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

To be fair, it was revealed that he was absolutely mad a couple days after we all lined up behind him.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Hashim, at the end of the next update, can you give us a good look at our country? All the ideas we've chosen, our income and it's sources, maps, any modifiers we have, stuff like that.

edit Sweet vv

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 5, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Hashim, at the end of the next update, can you give us a good look at our country? All the ideas we've chosen, our income and it's sources, maps, any modifiers we have, stuff like that.

One more update, then I'll do another State of the World chapter (so around 1700), and include as much as possible in it.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Personally I figured significant resistance from the Majlis to the Sultan would have just resulted in a civil war anyway. That's why I joined the loyalists.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
I joined the loyalists at the very beginning because i'm a big ol' reactionary who hates voting. For a single session before the big influx I was the only voting loyalist (although another guy voted after the deadline), and although the dream is dead in Al-Andalus, you can just imagine I set sail after the Sultan in Palermo to agititate for absolutism there.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

the JJ posted:

I've been loyal forever, highness!

If it wasn't clear, this was meant to be a vote for accepting. I wanted to join that branch of the family waaaaaay back when they were first chased out. I've been a crypto-Tariqi the whole time!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

NewMars posted:

We could have a republican/constitutionalism faction? More autonomy! Devolution! Power to the people! Statutes of limitations!

Edit: actually, if we end up with a parliament it could work well.

I don't think that calling for the abolition of the monarchy immediately after appointing a new monarch is really believable. A Constitutionalist faction arguing for Majlis supremacy would make more sense. It probably wouldn't argue for power to the people, either; more "power to the nobility and clergy."

Limit the power of the monarch to prevent the nobles from enclosing the fields and kicking peasants off of what was once public land. Limit the monarch's power to interfere with noble abuse of their tenants. That sort of thing.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I don't think that calling for the abolition of the monarchy immediately after appointing a new monarch is really believable. A Constitutionalist faction arguing for Majlis supremacy would make more sense. It probably wouldn't argue for power to the people, either; more "power to the nobility and clergy."

Limit the power of the monarch to prevent the nobles from enclosing the fields and kicking peasants off of what was once public land. Limit the monarch's power to interfere with noble abuse of their tenants. That sort of thing.

He said power to the people, not power to the peasants

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Tax exemption! Tragedy of the commons! Estates-general! More wigs, More whigs!

NewMars fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 5, 2017

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

unwantedplatypus posted:

He said power to the people, not power to the peasants

Power to the merchants more like.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

WilliamAnderson posted:

Power to the merchants more like.

:capitalism:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

It works like this, see: first you get the land, then you get the power, then you get the money, then you lose everything to the glorious communist revolution.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

NewMars posted:

It works like this, see: first you get the land, then you get the power, then you get the money, then you lose everything to the glorious communist revolution.

You can't have a revolution of the proletariat if you don't first ensure the dominance of the bourgeoisie!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I would be very disappointed with how things are turning out, except I already died for the true Sultan Utman.

Can we start a Ghost Faction? :ghost:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
This is actually best case scenario for me, especially so if we become Shia. Ever since Sunni changed to having fav ratio instead of true faith, Shia has been the clear better choice. Though our religious unity would be total garbage, even with humanism.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ralepozozaxe posted:

This is actually best case scenario for me, especially so if we become Shia. Ever since Sunni changed to having fav ratio instead of true faith, Shia has been the clear better choice. Though our religious unity would be total garbage, even with humanism.

Plus then our sultan could declare himself the Shia Caliph in opposition to the Vakhtani Sunni Caliph, which would be a perfect bit of dualism particularly given our (admittedly embattled) state dedication to humanism and tolerance.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Talas posted:

Now that I think about it, Hashim should get a new avatar. Suggesting the Jizrunid Scream by Ralepozozaxe, in honor of the latest update.

Especially with this new one. :gonk:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Alright people, place your bets: Will Utman lose his member?

I put money on Yes

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Alright people, place your bets: Will Utman lose his member?

I'm gonna go out on a wild-card and say he gains one!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So uh

I must've accidentally closed the unread posts notification :v:
E:
The problem with any kind of internal development faction is that it's never going to get top billing without war powers. People will always vote for activity. And you can't just let them do whatever at rank 2 because then you have poo poo like rank 1 selecting Humanism and 2 pushing conversions anyway.

Relatedly, I think any sort of neo-Ulema faction that can push conversion should be out, at least for awhile. A zealot sultan led a plurality of the clergy into triggering a decade long civil ear against our Tolerance By Policy for decades government, and our new sultan is himself a religious minority. The clergy's power should be rock fuckin bottom right now.

E2: alternatively after poo poo's stabilized we could have a Constitutional draft session :suicide:

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 6, 2017

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The main reason to make an internal development faction is to keeping voting for internal stuff for a specific faction, and not something the Merchants or Nobles decide to do on the side, Dhimmi and whatnot would be firmly in the internal parties control. The merchants and Nobles could then focus on the things they are supposed to, making money and war respectively. Also, the Ulama are not going anywhere or losing any power, Hashim has said so. If you don't want them to convert, just make sure they aren't in first or second power place.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I only want to see conversions because I want to see an LP about an unapologetically Muslim great power at least until the modern era, not about another halfhearted Islamic power more concerned with tolerance for minorities than commitment to the faith from start to finish. Wiz's Azerbaijan LP already did that. I was hoping to see something new.

But it's all whatever since we're hitting the age of revolutions soon. Plenty of exciting, crazy poo poo are bound to happen.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Dhimmi and whatnot would be firmly in the internal parties control.

The Dhimmi, without exception, sided with the Mad Sultan. We can no longer tolerate this viper at our breast, at all, not for one moment longer.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

AJ_Impy posted:

The Dhimmi, without exception, sided with the Mad Sultan. We can no longer tolerate this viper at our breast, at all, not for one moment longer.

No, some Dhimmi who have consistently antagonised by the forcibly conversions devised by you and your ilk, unfortunately revolted of their own accord. Do you really think they would have sided with him, you utter imbecile? They have risen against us because of fools like you who have been interfering in their lives, against the guidance of the Prophet himself!

We must now at last accept the Dhimmi and encourage them to see themselves as Andalusians, not as a minority that is despised by their rulers.

Never forget that a plurality of your faction joined with the Mad Sultan. By your own rhetoric, we should no longer tolerate you as a viper at our breast. On this, we are in agreement.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Yvonmukluk posted:

No, some Dhimmi who have consistently antagonised by the forcibly conversions devised by you and your ilk, unfortunately revolted of their own accord. Do you really think they would have sided with him, you utter imbecile?

Enough lies when the truth is clear.

Every single Dhimmi region rebelled against us. All of them. No exceptions. Look here upon the map:

That was not of their own accord for religious freedom, they joined with the Mad Sultan. They wilfully chose to try and destroy Al-Andalus under our guiding hand. they rebelled against us, against you, yet still you attack your allies in the fight. Your political manoeuvring disgusts me. We are on the same side. They rose up against us. Why do you insist on trying to twist this to match your hateful worldview?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Yvonmukluk posted:

No, some Dhimmi who have consistently antagonised by the forcibly conversions devised by you and your ilk, unfortunately revolted of their own accord

You forget the conversions were because they massacred our people. They had their chance and blew it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Dhimmi did rebel, yes, so did pretty much everyone else.

Conversions have been a pretty bad way of stopping rebellions, really.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Rodyle posted:

Conversions have been a pretty bad way of stopping rebellions, really.

Yeah but giving the French someone to fund for rebellions also doesn't help.

Also shouldn't have chosen Humanism of all things.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I want the Islamic power to lead the Enlightenment. And then either face steady reform as it becomes an increasingly constitutional monarchy or collapse utterly into bloody revolution.

It's Fun(TM)!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Nah. Mechanically Humanism is a great pick for our situation. We've simply been hosed by disasters and comical amounts of national unrest/instability.

Humanism is strong as hell but the house being literally on fire is not something it can fix.

Edit: Have we reached Humanist Tolerance in Humanism yet? I'm unclear on the exacts of our Idea Group progress.

If not, Humanist Tolerance will do us a world of good.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 6, 2017

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Oh snap, I didn't know we had Zikri in one province. Must of been one of those Humanism random province conversion events.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Oh snap, I didn't know we had Zikri in one province. Must of been one of those Humanism random province conversion events.

All the more reason to enforce religious unity.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Yeah, there's no way in hell our Al Andalus is as tolerant as Azerbaijan was. We're probably not even as tolerant as the RL Ottoman Empire was, or even our predecessors, the Umayyad Caliphate. Our Ulema have managed to get close to dominating the Majlis a couple times, and they took full advantage of that, converting vast swathes of Leonese and Aragonese territory. Iberia used to be split 50-50 between the Muslims and Christians, but now Christianity is firmly a minority on the peninsula.

And to add to that, we now have a Shia sultan, so tensions between the Sunni majority and Shia minority are going to skyrocket. These two sects don't exactly have a dazzling history of peaceful co-existence, and I doubt the Sunni masses are going to enjoy being ruled by a heretic.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Yep, and a couple provinces also flipped to Yazidi not long after that.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Hashim posted:

Yep, and a couple provinces also flipped to Yazidi not long after that.

Wait, Yazidi? That's utterly bizarre.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

We're just collecting one of every religion, no big deal. Ibearia's gonna be like a big museum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

AJ_Impy posted:

All the more reason to enforce religious unity.

While I'm all for dealing with christians in our realm, the various versions of Islam must be allowed to prosper and flourish. For where do you think the various workers people of the Muslim world will flock to when true communism deliverance comes. Lets get some Druze and Yazidi in this motherland!