Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

MilesK posted:

Can you only have 12-15 players on 1 moon the size of Texas, or is that the limit for the whole solar system?

no they mean all of the PU.

lol but anyone whose played the pu knew this already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
24 player hard limit per server in your MMO

that shits itself if it gets more than twelve players on it and god forbid more than six people show up to a ship fight

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

XK posted:

This is such a great thread for so many of us to intoxicated post in.

I'm not intoxicated posting

YOU'RE intoxicated posting

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

XK posted:

This is such a great thread for so many of us to intoxicated post in.

I enjoy the fact that I just received the monthly report from RSI. And in the footer:

You're receiving this email as a supporter of the Star Citizen game project.

After I got a refund. Oops.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Planets?

What?

Good luck with that.
Yeah, the Delamar planet is 100% in, there's already a slew of bugfixes for it.

So I guess we're not just getting 3 moons, but 3 moons and a planet! and there's NPCs on the planet that do...something

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

TheAgent posted:

its been floating around since mid last year that the planetside stuff was just going to be accessed via the main menu and plop! you're on the moon

you can't actually leave and go anywhere, but hey! you're on the ground and can drive a nox around at 1960s motorcycle speeds

if they don't have orbits and rotating bodies yet that's a huge, huge amount of work

it's easier to say "hey here's a button to try out the moon base stuff, we promise all the other cool stuff is coming really soon!"

Please note that Lazrin has big boy plans to ride his magical dragonfly on the waning crobbert moon.

Star Citizen: Sandi is waxing while 3.0 is waning

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm just baffled by the 24 player limit. Twenty years ago I played MUDs over a dialup connection and they hosted more simultaneous connections than that.

Chris, release Star Marine as a MUD. Reinvent the text parser.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm just baffled by the 24 player limit. Twenty years ago I played MUDs over a dialup connection and they hosted more simultaneous connections than that.

Chris, release Star Marine as a MUD. Reinvent the text parser.

It begins to rain...

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
They can't get an Idris working because it will crash the server. They can't get players to stop clipping through walls. They can't get gravity working between players and their chariots.

Planets are basically nothing more than giant chariots, literally tens of thousands of Idrises large, on which player chariots will have to contend with gravity (don't forget the extra physics an atmosphere will add!) along with the commando in his chariot, interacting with what, in space, was the chariot's gravity, but now, on the planet's surface, is planetary gravity assuming the ship's artificial gravity field has been taken into account, along with a million other factors. I can't wait to ram a planet with an Aurora and have it spinning off into its star, along with every city, ship, player, and sandworm on it, everything clipping through everything else. In Star Citizen, you control the commando who controls the ship who rams the planet which hits the star which crashes the server.

...but I'm sure this has been thought out at every level by Chris, the man who, to this day, does not understand that you can't "swim" through a zero-g vacuum by moving your body a certain way. No, it's us who just don't get what he's trying to explain to us. If we could just eject Chris into a zero-g vacuum he'd show us how that's done.

I'd donate to that stretch goal.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Colostomy Bag posted:

I enjoy the fact that I just received the monthly report from RSI. And in the footer:

You're receiving this email as a supporter of the Star Citizen game project.

After I got a refund. Oops.

If you really think about it, aren't we all supporting it?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
How realistic is the planets? Can I dig into them and find an underground layer of water or massive network of subterranean caves?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

yeah, orbiting, landing poo poo is hard enough to do in a single player setting

but see, if a moon is orbiting in an MMO setting and you don't take into account a bunch of server realities and have decent prediction and synchronization your planets will "skip" across their trajectories

that means everything on them skips as well, which means that your 1,000km moon is now effectively a jittery space jpg with huge collision issues, clipping and god knows what else

it's probably the first thing they should have built in-engine, since so many features now revolve (pun intended) around it

There is a commando, on his buggy, on the cargo elevator of a ship, that is being towed, on a planet that circles around its star. Then the commando accelerates and jumps off his buggy while another commando is watching. Can you imagine the cascade of calculations that the game will have to do in order to calculate the trajectory properly? Ahahaha.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

toanoradian posted:

How realistic is the planets? Can I dig into them and find an underground layer of water or massive network of subterranean caves?

Yeah, Chris is actually implementing similar tech to Dwarf Fortress, but with high fidelity graphics and an equally deep but fully intuitive UI.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

TheAgent posted:

how do you not have orbiting planets

how do you not have this in your space game after 5 years

how do you take $155 million from people and give them this

how do I have so many questions

well, basically *frantically waves hands, looping in and out of eachother, above head and finalizing at a bird's flapping sequence while mumbling and err'ing and ahh'ing*

*uploads to youtube labeled "10 for the chairman"*

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Scruffpuff posted:

They can't get an Idris working because it will crash the server. They can't get players to stop clipping through walls. They can't get gravity working between players and their chariots.

Planets are basically nothing more than giant chariots, literally tens of thousands of Idrises large, on which player chariots will have to contend with gravity (don't forget the extra physics an atmosphere will add!) along with the commando in his chariot, interacting with what, in space, was the chariot's gravity, but now, on the planet's surface, is planetary gravity assuming the ship's artificial gravity field has been taken into account, along with a million other factors. I can't wait to ram a planet with an Aurora and have it spinning off into its star, along with every city, ship, player, and sandworm on it, everything clipping through everything else. In Star Citizen, you control the commando who controls the ship who rams the planet which hits the star which crashes the server.

...but I'm sure this has been thought out at every level by Chris, the man who, to this day, does not understand that you can't "swim" through a zero-g vacuum by moving your body a certain way. No, it's us who just don't get what he's trying to explain to us. If we could just eject Chris into a zero-g vacuum he'd show us how that's done.

I'd donate to that stretch goal.

Dude, what?

You land on the planet and drive your jeep around.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

toanoradian posted:

Yes you can! This is fact because they showed giant worms in one of their demos, and the giant worm had to create tunnels in order to move. This is exactly how it was explained to me by some dudes at reddit.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

toanoradian posted:

Yes.

gently caress off with these stupid questions. Take a cyanide pill.

Literally yes, though. It's all there.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

Yes you can! This is fact because they showed giant worms in one of their demos, and the giant worm had to create tunnels in order to move. This is exactly how it was explained to me by some dudes at reddit.

This would be impossible for me to believe if I hadn't read the exact same posts. Chris is obviously not the only guy with his particular disability it seems.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i feel like the schedule report distracted away from derek simultaneously trolling and puppetmastering himself

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

First Loiosh re-appears, then this happens. Coincidence? I think not!

I'm pretty easy to find on reddit :)
https://www.reddit.com/user/LoioshDwaggie/

Recently, hanging out on r/anime

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Space Crabs posted:

i feel like the schedule report distracted away from derek simultaneously trolling and puppetmastering himself

It was so embarrassing we're all just trying to ignore it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Loiosh posted:

Nice try you fuddy-buddy, but that's obviously another loiosh, the dwaggie one. It's like me and trucutuDwayne.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

Nice try you fuddy-buddy, but that's obviously another loiosh, the dwaggie one. It's like me and trucutuDwayne.

My secret is out! (Also, he seems to have a fascination with magical girls .... )

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Space Crabs posted:

He should change his name to Derek Dumb :smug:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"LEAVERS" is my new favorite insult of all time.

This guy is going to have his dreams crushed and fall into coding hospital backends or whatever.

ModernSociety posted:

So on recommendation of this thread and after further investigation, i have bought X3...

• X3
  • Three day weekend.
  • Large bottle of whiskey

Wish me luck.

Get Albion Prelude and look up the Star Wars Mod on Moddb. It's real broken and real dumb but giant capital ship battles with a bunch of fighters buzzing around is real awesome.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Loiosh posted:

Shut up, Loiosh.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I know. But I was running an inverse-reverse troll and was hoping to milk it all the way to GamesCom. Here is one of his other gems where, after I hadn't posted any of the crap, he wanted to make it clear that it was OK.

lmao this is the ring leader of this gay rear end subforum

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Taintrunner posted:

"LEAVERS" is my new favorite insult of all time.
There is a leaver in every believer. (far from original, but I'm ok with it).

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

BobHoward posted:

Shut up, Loiosh.

http://www.cafepress.com/dragaera.203696745 D:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

toanoradian posted:

Congratulations on another PNG well done, G0RF. How do you make these, anyway? They look so slick and professional.

Thanks! They're done in Illustrator. This one had some stock elements, the basic color wheel being extensively modified from it.

The execution part went faster than the conceptual part and the germ of the idea was ancient, rooted in annoyance with blanket indiscriminate labels people throw around to dismiss all critics and criticism. Ben, Sandi, streamers, Blobers -- "Trolls" and "Haters" have always been a shorthand method to reject the lot of us. It was never so simple. But trying to model it out sensibly "who are the main voices and how do they differ?" was a tricky conceptual problem for me. That took a lot of notepad jotting over a long span, a few minutes here if inspired, a few minutes there if provoked.

It's not a perfect model but more representative than most of the simpler taxonomies people seem to use. Once that taxonomy was fixed the rest came more easily. "Zealots are another name for White Knights, I'll use a sword... so what would be the Hater equivalent?" Solving that stuff upfront makes the design execution part easier, at least for me.

The 3.0 thing prior was just free-form, in part adapting aspects from last year's simpler 2.6 progress chart graphics. It was a much bigger graphic but much simpler problem, with Chris's words and actions dictating much of it.

thatguy posted:

RSI has the worst moderation of any forum or community I've ever been to.

You know what they say, man... "It filters from the top!"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

XK posted:

Here's millions of dollars, Chris. Just make a game where the space ships fly around. Everyone will love it!

Chris: "Hold my beer."

Hey Chris, when was this thing's expiration date?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

This is another one of those classic CIG comments. It's just a couple of sentences, and nothing seems overtly out of place. But when you think of what all this implies it goes off the rails almost immediately. Examples of things the previous quote indicates:

- Stanton system does not have orbital mechanics in place today - it's a static map
- Conversion of planets/suns/moons/etc. from static to introducing orbiting and planetary rotation means creating, implementing, and bug-fixing completely new code
- The sun and planet will need to become proper spheres with no fakery
- The concept of a day/night cycle as we think of it on Earth does not exist as a constant in space (another thing Chris doesn't understand, along with everything else.) Planets could have a 6 minute or 6 year day/night cycle, and even seasons, based on tilt, speed of rotation, speed of revolution, and rotation/revolution relativity. Are they planning on working that out for EVERY planet and star?
- What happens when you land your chariot on a rotating sphere that is in turn revolving around the sun? Will their stunning netcode be able to track all these objects that are suddenly no longer static points on the map?
- ROFL
- My personal favorite: that the resulting organic day/night cycles will, and let this sink in, open up further gameplay possibilities
Night time opens up all kinds of new gameplay possibilities, Scruff.

Need I even mention ("ahem", loosens collar) female player characters will be in the game any day now?

Female player characters + end of the day cycle = Night Moves, the original gameplay possibility.

:sotw:

ewe2 posted:

Technically I should be a Troll and a Hater but I don't actively sow discord or really do enough to criticize it. I wrote some funny songs and post on a forum thread. *sad kazoo noise*

The songs are comedy gold, it's meta, it's high trolling (Satire, more accurately) but gently done. No sad kazoo needed!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 5, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

According to Cig' schedule, Female Locomotion isn't coming until 3.1.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

Well crap there goes the Operation: "Night Moves" then! :cripes:

That so totally sucks.

Oh well, maybe after it gets dark a text prompt can alert you, "You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Suspense. Tension. The countdown begins. The suffocating terror knowing you next move might very well be your last.

(It worked before it can work again.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 5, 2017

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

SelenicMartian posted:

Chris Roberts invented the feminist movement

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Octopode assemble yourself

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

SelenicMartian posted:

Doesn't matter. They'll still raise a couple millions in pre-sales before FailureCon.

It's nuts. If you'd order any other product, it would be like paying again and again. While being told that your order will arrive in just 2 weeks. And those guys are still paying again and again. Meanwhile the arrival is always creeping away from them. Week by week.
The heartbreaking truth of Game development: It's like tempting a thirsty person in a desert with a bottle of cooled water. Only it's the worst kind of bacteria ridden sludge.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen feels as though a contractor was hired to build a small and perfectly reasonable addition to the existing kitchen in your house for X amount of money, then they asked some random guy walking past on the street if they could expand the project.
Now, they are trying to add a parking garage in the backyard (which is inaccessible from the street), three new bedrooms above the existing attic and renovating your entire bathroom, all the while they have cut a bunch of holes through your load bearing beams (compromising the structure of the existing house) and are now asking for more money so they can keep going and install a sink in your bedroom. They never got permits for anything, so there is no oversight, and your backyard now looks like a warzone, but they will "come back to fix this later".

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bofast posted:

Star Citizen feels as though a contractor was hired to build a small and perfectly reasonable addition to the existing kitchen in your house for X amount of money, then they asked some random guy walking past on the street if they could expand the project.
Now, they are trying to add a parking garage in the backyard (which is inaccessible from the street), three new bedrooms above the existing attic and renovating your entire bathroom, all the while they have cut a bunch of holes through your load bearing beams (compromising the structure of the existing house) and are now asking for more money so they can keep going and install a sink in your bedroom. They never got permits for anything, so there is no oversight, and your backyard now looks like a warzone, but they will "come back to fix this later".
The house now electrocutes you when you pee, the bed tickles, and random people are using your living room as a movie set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

This is another one of those classic CIG comments. It's just a couple of sentences, and nothing seems overtly out of place. But when you think of what all this implies it goes off the rails almost immediately. Examples of things the previous quote indicates:

- Stanton system does not have orbital mechanics in place today - it's a static map
- Conversion of planets/suns/moons/etc. from static to introducing orbiting and planetary rotation means creating, implementing, and bug-fixing completely new code
- The sun and planet will need to become proper spheres with no fakery
- The concept of a day/night cycle as we think of it on Earth does not exist as a constant in space (another thing Chris doesn't understand, along with everything else.) Planets could have a 6 minute or 6 year day/night cycle, and even seasons, based on tilt, speed of rotation, speed of revolution, and rotation/revolution relativity. Are they planning on working that out for EVERY planet and star?
- What happens when you land your chariot on a rotating sphere that is in turn revolving around the sun? Will their stunning netcode be able to track all these objects that are suddenly no longer static points on the map?
- ROFL
- My personal favorite: that the resulting organic day/night cycles will, and let this sink in, open up further gameplay possibilities

For that last one to be true, there need to be more differences between day and night than just how much light there is. What are these "further gameplay possibilities"? Note they were very particular to say that the gameplay possibiltiies are opened up by the day/night cycle itself, implying that the potential for all these further gameplay possibilities is already coded and just waiting for day/night to enable it. Do AI guards take different patrol routes? Do NPCs walk around the cities turning on the space lamps? Do the nocturnal predators come out and increase the peril of walking through the space jungle? Is it harder to see someone hiding inside crates? Are there space females hiding in the alleys falling prey to the inevitable consequence of piracy?

Hard to say, since there are no animals, there are no NPCs, there are no cities, there are no planets, and there is no game.

This is a good post.

Tokamak posted:

Remember when 3.0 was scheduled to release in June

Remember when 3.0 was going to be out in 2016?

Mr Fronts posted:

This is amazing. I read, "Rotating and Orbiting Planets", added as some extra little thing they decided to add now.

"Oh, you know, Chris was playing Elite last night, and said , "Hey, we should do these rotating orbiting planet things too. Guys, drop everything and make 3.0 have real planets"... and we said, sure Chris, we're on it.!"

Do you mean the original Elite? I'm asking, 'cause I don't think Chris has played a game released after the 90s