Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's not weird to think free speech is important, and that advocating punching "fascists" will immediately be used against the left, by actual Fascists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

who cares just punch

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Concerned Citizen posted:

wasn't really a high road thing. kerry was really mad and wanted to hit back, but his consultants and staff thought that pushing back would just amplify the attack and make it worse.

Kerry/Gore 2020

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's not weird to think free speech is important, and that advocating punching "fascists" will immediately be used against the left, by actual Fascists.

Both actual Fascists and "fascists" don't need an excuse to do anything to the left. Not fighting out of fear that the other side will fight back is an inexcusable form of cowardice, especially when that other side has, does, and is promising to commit acts of violence.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Squizzle posted:

who cares just punch

http://nypost.com/2016/05/15/wendell-pierce-arrested-for-allegedly-hitting-bernie-sanders-supporter/

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its ok to punch actual nazis. like people who unironically think heling hitler is cool.

most other people well then theres a lot more nuance

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsxwhRiiWtc

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Punching anyone regardless of political ideology is completely fine, because physical violence is one of the only ways people can truly express themselves in this modern hellhole of a world. The beast within hungers, and it is preferable to sate its appetite with mere punching before it begins to require more extreme and disturbing forms of violence to satisfy its appetite.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ytlaya posted:

Punching anyone regardless of political ideology is completely fine, because physical violence is one of the only ways people can truly express themselves in this modern hellhole of a world. The beast within hungers, and it is preferable to sate its appetite with mere punching before it begins to require more extreme and disturbing forms of violence to satisfy its appetite.

This guy gets it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's been proven with the modern crop of fascists that you really only need to punch them once and they run away crying forever, so there's obviously some merit in careful application of it.

Still say they should be pied in the face.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Squizzle posted:

who cares just punch

always circular against a nazi's jaw, total k.o.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I see the problem with this then. The issue is that if a politician keeps a bunch of relatively un-challenging and uncontroversial promises, they'll still count as having kept most of their promises. So this data doesn't necessarily validate the idea that politicians can be relied upon to keep any particular promise, since they generally make a bunch of other promises that are relatively easy to keep.

My interpretation, which I think largely agrees with yours, is that the article's thesis amounts to 'the public is too cynical about whether politicians keep their promises.' And while they're right to be cynical because of how often 'good faith attempts ' at compromise falter in a polarized polity, or what the actual policies' implementations ultimately look like, etc. ...the divergence between the public's perception and the number 538 came up with is enough to suggest that people should be more optimistic, in general.

Now, does that article serve as good evidence that Hillary will keep her promises that matter to people who might be skeptical about her? I don't think there's a defensible way to interpret it in that way. From what I understand, you don't either -- though maybe we disagree on exactly why.

Whether we agree or not, it seems to fall under something you've been posting about, where centrists who see themselves as educated, with 'evidenced based answers, either mis- or re-interpret data to match their narrative.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MizPiz posted:

Both actual Fascists and "fascists" don't need an excuse to do anything to the left. Not fighting out of fear that the other side will fight back is an inexcusable form of cowardice, especially when that other side has, does, and is promising to commit acts of violence.

Sure. That's why I believe in the 2nd amendment in the right to self-defense. They commit violence against you, they get shot. You've now solved two problems.

Punching is for pussy's.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

anime was right posted:

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/875049282600017920

this is pretty recent but you can kinda get an idea. he's super loving weird about free speech. had some similarly weird opinions when it came to milo and that no one should say bad things about him bc that gives him attention.

Meanwhile in practice, cops protect the KKK while the Feds try to infiltrate leftist orgs

free speech has never existed

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/893616470839533568

black dems are puppets of (((the establishment))) - extremely left wing 4 real guy

Obama didn't help black people

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Punch is speech

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Obama didn't help black people

literally watched the finance fuckers wipe half of black wealth in america and said "lol, let's fix this by giving a bunch of taxpayer dollars to

...the finance fuckers!!!" and yet liberals actually emotionally invested themselves in defending his "legacy"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

navyjack posted:

Fire all consultants into the sun

Why not just put them in labor camps?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

:COINTELPROsay:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

literally watched the finance fuckers wipe half of black wealth in america and said "lol, let's fix this by giving a bunch of taxpayer dollars to

...the finance fuckers!!!" and yet liberals actually emotionally invested themselves in defending his "legacy"

Don't forget doing lame crying Obama speeches after a race riot but not doing anything to address things like the prison industrial complex & police brutality against minorities.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

i'm gonna let you in on a secret

if not opposed, fascists intend far worse than 'punching' for leftists

e:

etalian posted:

Don't forget doing lame crying Obama speeches after a race riot but not doing anything to address things like the prison industrial complex & police brutality against minorities.

my favorite obama crying moment was when he shed a single cinematic tear for the newtown shooting victims

1994 Toyota Celica has issued a correction as of 14:52 on Aug 5, 2017

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Sure. That's why I believe in the 2nd amendment in the right to self-defense. They commit violence against you, they get shot. You've now solved two problems.

Punching is for pussy's.
Buddy, if you don't have a militia of Druids at your disposal you don't really support the 2nd amendment to bear arms and here's why [1/33]

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The self-suck zone

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

those drat clinton bros sure hate women

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

Sure glad harry reid pulled the dorgan amendment from the aca that would have allowed drug importation because it "only" had 59 votes in favor.
or that a bunch of bad dems voted down the drug reimportation amendment in the senate that came up for a vote ityool 2017 when a dozen republicans voted for it

or that a drug reimportation bill band-aid was conspicuously missing in schumer's "better deal" in his list of non-policies to mitigate america having the highest drug and medical prices in the entire world

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

Martin Shkreli is only doing time because he ripped off rich people, right? I can't figure out any other reason why he got charged to begin with.
meanwhile epipen, a drug first brought to market in the 1980s almost 40 years ago, is still sold for outrageous prices compared to the rest of the entire world

the trick it turns out is to just be banally evil and not obnoxious frat boy comic book evil who also screws over rich people

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/893809826589003776

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

has anyone provided an explanation for yglesias' heel -> face turn

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

comedyblissoption posted:

has anyone provided an explanation for yglesias' heel -> face turn

There are plenty of lanyards like me who recognize that the democratic party has failed and needs a massive overhaul. The dude regularly listens to chapo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Meanwhile in practice, cops protect the KKK while the Feds try to infiltrate leftist orgs

free speech has never existed

https://twitter.com/sltrib/status/893541431133995008

Love the replies where Pierce starts blocking people

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

What's the deal with Confederate I don't know anything about it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lost Cause is back baby

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

What's the deal with Confederate I don't know anything about it

It's a show by the Game of Thrones dudes about a Confederate States of America that continued to exist up to the present day and also still has slavery

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Punch is speech

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Sounds awful. So is it getting poo poo canned before it airs?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I remember back in high school my history teacher would teach that the white people in the 1950s and 1960s who were protesting school integration weren't really racist because they weren't mad that black people were going to schools, but that the government was "taking their rights away" ("they" being the white people). I'm mad I never responded to that and always thought what would be the best thing to say.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"The Birth of a Nation: the TV series".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hollywood is giving the alt right heros not out of Walking Dead for a change.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I remember back in high school my history teacher would teach that the white people in the 1950s and 1960s who were protesting school integration weren't really racist because they weren't mad that black people were going to schools, but that the government was "taking their rights away" ("they" being the white people). I'm mad I never responded to that and always thought what would be the best thing to say.
there are still wokes ityool 2017 who will unironically argue with you that the US civil war was not about slavery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

But like C.S.A. did it first and frankly this comedy is going to have handled it better than HBO will.

• Locked thread