Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I bought a Rift bundle on July 12th off Amazon. Got the headset last week, and it was kind of neat. I wasn't blown away. Then today the Touch controllers arrived, and it's a night-and-day difference. So far I've played Robo Recall, Superhot, Virtual Rickality and Accounting, and they've all been amazing experiences. It's crazy how much a difference being able to interact with your environment makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

homeless snail posted:

I disagree, VR games don't have to necessarily be first person. Being an omnipotent observer works fantastically with Lucky's Tale storybook conceit and it still draws you into his world far more than if you were just playing Mario with 3D glasses or something.

My only problem with it is that its just not a very good platformer outside of the novelty of being a cute VR game. Luckily you can just load up Dolphin and play Mario in VR though.

Totally. 3rd person VR is great. It creates a really cool sense of playing with living toys.

The problem is the almost complete lack of good 3rd person VR games, not the perspective.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Holy poo poo. I just got around to buying Project Cars since, I dunno, reasons, busy with other games. I had Asseto Corsa already but the VR experience really frustrated the poo poo out of me, the quality of life is just, unworkable. Got Dirt Rally since it was on sale awhile ago and found myself pretty entranced with it, practicing stages over and over and really loving the realism.

So since I'm having fun VR racing all of a sudden, (and kinda wanna do something other than rally cars; as fun as Dirty Rally is the track selection is so limited) I figure I should get another VR racing game. Fast forward to me playing the last 4 hours of Project Cars non-stop.

Really should have done this a long time ago. I have a great force-feedback wheel and an h-shifter and pedals and a racing seat and everything, so that really pushes it to the next level of VR. (I got them years ago for racing on a flat panel and kinda got tired of it) As fun as War Thunder and Elite Dangerous are, those games are complicated man. There's so much going on. Not that racing isn't complicated, but at least you're focused on just racing your car and using the natural inputs of the wheel and pedals.

I hesitated because people said Project Cars was poo poo, and I get that the AI isn't great (Project Cars 2 is almost out and is supposed to improve on that) but for my money its the perfect VR racing game. iRacing is too hardcore for me and I hate subscription models, Asseto Corsa can suck a dick like I said, and most other good racing games don't support VR. Dirt Rally is probably slightly superior to Project Cars, the physics and control are just *perfect*, but its limited in that you're only doing Rally and Rallycross. Bad AI isn't an issue when AI only has to generate stage time numbers and you can't ever see them drive!

Really though the VR quality of life in Project Cars is fantastic, I can easily navigate all the menus and set up one race after another. And the additional option to manually nudge your position in VR in the car is huge and something that even Dirt Rally is missing. (You can reset your position in dirt rally and shift around to try to game it, but its not ideal) That said Dirt Rally also does a good job of making the menus work in VR comfortably.

F1 cars are so much fun, and sooooo fast in VR (the sense of speed is so real) its like pod racing.

poo poo now I want a VR pod racing game

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 5, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

VR road rash...

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
With Touch controls so you can paste people with a bat or swing the chain around like it's GORN :fap:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Ultrawings is great, the simplified flight model makes it easy to pick up but you still gotta pull levers and push buttons and that's way more fun in VR. It's a pretty chill experience too, like something you'd get on a Nintendo console.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

alphabettitouretti posted:

Ultrawings is great, the simplified flight model makes it easy to pick up but you still gotta pull levers and push buttons and that's way more fun in VR. It's a pretty chill experience too, like something you'd get on a Nintendo console.

Someone made a VTOL VR, I'm gonna check it out later today, but it looks like a DCS equivalent to Ultrawings.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/667970/VTOL_VR/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EbolaIvory posted:

Exactly. Being able to "walk" around a level and peak around corners and stuff is really cool. Lucky's Tale isnt the best game but I'm having a hoot with it, and it makes me hope for more games like it.

Good news. Lucky's Tale 2 is coming out on xbonx without the VR.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Someone made a VTOL VR, I'm gonna check it out later today, but it looks like a DCS equivalent to Ultrawings.

I'd pay good money for a sim that sits between Ultrawings and DCS in complexity. Something like TFX.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

Good news. Lucky's Tale 2 is coming out on xbonx without the VR.

Uninterested in non VR though :(

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Taintrunner posted:

I came here to ask about these two. Definitely post up your thoughts because I kinda want them both.

Only VR plane stuff I've tried is Warthunder w/ a PS3 controller, which is surprisingly good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So is that a fully motion control sim? You don't use a joystick? If so, I'm interested in seeing how it works.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So when you guys say that non VR games with a headset on aren't great do you mean that in a "this game looks terrible when I'm playing it with my rift" or is it more a matter of principle, that you'd rather be playing actual VR games with your 800 dollar VR headset? I'm asking this because I am a fence sitter with regards to the rift at it's current pricing, and playing games like overwatch or whatever in Big Picture Mode would give it more legs once I use up the current crop of VR specific titles.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 5, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Don't buy vr to play non-vr games that's hella dumb dogg

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So when you guys say that non VR games with a headset on aren't great do you mean that in a "this game looks terrible when I'm playing it with my rift" or is it more a matter of principle, that you'd rather be playing actual VR games with your 800 dollar VR headset? I'm asking this because I am a fence sitter with regards to the rift at it's current pricing, and playing games like overwatch or whatever in Big Picture Mode would give it more legs once I use up the current crop of VR specific titles.
It looks awful, the resolution is super low

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ammanas posted:

Don't buy vr to play non-vr games that's hella dumb dogg

I thought it might be, but I paid my 10 bucks to SA so I can ask stupid questions in threads like this one!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Big picture mode would be like playing it on a 2-3 story tall SDTV. It would be huge but it would look blurry as poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The bigger deal with VR is not stereo 3d, but full immersive motion control.

You can't just bolt that onto an existing game unless you have the source code.

Fully non-VR games with a headset is basically like staring at a really low resolution TV, you CAN play it that way but you won't want to. Playing retrofit VR games in VR is better, but still lacking. Its really fully-VR from the ground up games like Job Sim or Superhot that really blow people's minds.

VR isn't the kind of thing you want to do 24/7 anyways. Its tiring. It makes you use your body in ways that you don't when you're couch gaming, and it does cause some very slight eye strain. Your face also gets sweaty. Rather than looking for more non-VR games to maximize your HMD time, you would be way way better off just putting more hours into the few really compelling VR games there are.

Non-VR games are best on a monitor, and even owning 4 HMDs I still play games on a monitor very frequently. They're just fundamentally different types of games and different gaming experiences. On a monitor I can chill and watch netflix while I play and chat to people. In VR I'm completely plugged in.

Non VR games in VR are just watching a movie theater screen.

VR games in VR are actually being IN THE GAME and able to walk around and touch stuff. Its a completely different reality.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 5, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Every minute I played overwatch was in BigScreen. Games that don't have a lot of text or fine detail are fine

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemming posted:

Every minute I played overwatch was in BigScreen. Games that don't have a lot of text or fine detail are fine

Of course you did, because overwatch doesn't support VR.

But its still just watching yourself play in 2D on a giant, lovely low rez TV. Like, cool man, but whatever. That's not VR really.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
He was asking for opinions and I gave mine

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Your opinion is wrong :colbert:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PerrineClostermann posted:

Your opinion is wrong :colbert:

Unless you're using big screen with friends then it's fine tho?

:smug:

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

I generally agree - don't get be headset to play normal games on a big screen, it looks rubbish.

But games like Thumper, Dirt Rally, Eve Valkyrie absolutely gain something from playing with a headset, even if you could play them without one.

Though a further but is that the real "difference" is going to be from playing full on vr only games like robo recall.

(Yes I know eve is vr only but there's no real need for it to be)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EbolaIvory posted:

Unless you're using big screen with friends then it's fine tho?

:smug:

That would require goons to have friends :smug:

:negative:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PerrineClostermann posted:

That would require goons to have friends :smug:

:negative:

True. Most of mine are too poor or not interested.

So how do you let someone interact with your screens in big screen? I figured it would be "possible" somehow to play local coop poo poo but I'm starting to think that's a no go?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm still interested in seeing how that one emulator program comes out. It's the one that has a fake CRT in a bedroom with simulated day/night cycles. Might be fun to play some old SNES games with the nostalgia factor of being in your old bedroom. The low-res nature wouldn't matter as much considering the resolution of these old games.

Ah, called EmuVR:
http://www.emuvr.net/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

New Retro Arcade is kinda interesting for similar reasons, especially now that they've added light gun support

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

homeless snail posted:

New Retro Arcade is kinda interesting for similar reasons, especially now that they've added light gun support

New Retro Arcade is really neat and atmospheric, its just missing what would be the killer feature: proper multiplayer. They need a way to do the multiplayer in that that keeps the games functional. It would be an absolute blast to hang out in an arcade with people, watch a couple play streetfighter, team up for some 4 player turtles, etc. I don't know what on earth they'd have to do to make that work, but without it it feels empty and lacking.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Zaphod42 posted:

F1 cars are so much fun, and sooooo fast in VR (the sense of speed is so real) its like pod racing.

Sounds like Vector 36. I haven't played it myself, but it looks neat, though there's no multiplayer yet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ralith posted:

Sounds like Vector 36. I haven't played it myself, but it looks neat, though there's no multiplayer yet.

It's quite a bit slower than pod racing IIRC. More "simmy" less "arcadey" or some bullshit.

Not that that means it's bad, it's probably really good, but I want something that's blazing fast.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Truga posted:

It's quite a bit slower than pod racing IIRC. More "simmy" less "arcadey" or some bullshit.

Not that that means it's bad, it's probably really good, but I want something that's blazing fast.

Yeah. There is VR support in some of those wipeout-like games but I haven't checked them out since the old rift DK2 days. Should see if they got better...

Not really itching to buy more games at the moment though, gonna play more of what I already have.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I don't drive much in VR, but when I do I usually do rover driving in elite. I give myself a goal waypoint and try to reach it as quickly as possible by rover. It's good mindless fun, and it's easy to allot time because the rover covers about ~150km per hour at max effort. More on extremely low G worlds. It's great fun, the terrain is always unique, driving very fast feels a lot like a rally game, and there's things that spawn to do every now and then if you're not in a hurry.

Or I drive the turbocharged kart thing in LFS. That thing is a goddamn monster, and the only thing that will still get me queezy at times in VR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Vector 36 was kind of bad when I played it. It was kind of confusing. The overall concept was to win the race, but I had no idea what anything else in the game meant. I think Redout has a VR mode and that seemed kind of cool.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Just got my Rift Touch + plus a 3rd sensor yesterday and since I coincidentally just got a new laptop with a 1060 for traveling decided I'd use it instead of moving my desktop to my play space. At first I wasn't sure if this was going to work because the while the laptop has the 4 USB ports needed one of them is a type-C and I don't have an adapter or even a powered hub but I decided to give it a try with an unpowered hub anyways.

My first attempt sharing the hub between a front USB 3.0 sensor and the rear sensor(using the active USB 2.0 cable it came with) worked initially but eventually home lost the USB 3.0 sensor and refused to pick it up again. After futzing with that and deciding I really didn't like only having 2 front sensors I tried moving the headset itself and the USB 2.0 sensor to the hub and so far, it's working great! From what I could find online the headset doesn't really pass a whole lot of data and apparently isn't as picky as the sensors.

So if anyone else is in the same boat and wondering if they can do 3 sensors with 3 USB ports the answer is yes!(probably)

I did run into one other problem. At this point I don't want to permanently mount a sensor to my walls so placement for the rear sensor especially is limited to surfaces on existing furniture. Unfortunately no matter how I rearranged everything the sensor setup kept absolutely insisting I place the rear sensor floating in mid air where I had no way to mount it. I got really really frustrated with this and almost abandoned the rear sensor for now before I discovered I could just hit next and it'd give me a disclaimer but let me continue. Now that I've got the sensors talking okay it seems to be working fine with the placement I have, no idea why the setup was being so rigid with its recommendation.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Because there are only certain configurations they want to explicitly support and troubleshoot.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
I recently got my Rift in and I was wondering what supposedly Vive exclusives work with Oculus?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
H3 only has the Vive logo on its page, but supports Oculus and has Touch models.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

massecurr posted:

I recently got my Rift in and I was wondering what supposedly Vive exclusives work with Oculus?
Basically all of them.

There might be the occasional quirk, particularly with older stuff that hasn't been updated since the Touch controllers came out, but if you find something that flat doesn't work, it probably wasn't worth playing to begin with. The vast majority of stuff just works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
excellent, also anyone know why SteamVR doesnt want to work with Rift?