Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I killed entirely too many red knights before I caught on to what was going on :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
At first I thought it was weird that the Ravens showed up in Kloe's section, but then I replayed the first game and remembered they debuted in her chapter. Oops.

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
It took me a depressingly long time to figure the puzzle.

That cannabilism chest is one of my favourites just for how bizarre it is. Good thing it wasn't part of Trails in the Chest.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its a quote from xseed published corpse party

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, the cannibalism quote is from Corpse Party, another title XSeed published where, surprise surprise, your characters are trapped in a haunted school building that existed in its own dimension. So it's kind of fitting. Aside from the main characters, a lot of other people were drawn into the haunted school, but most of them died in particularly gruesome ways. (including the author of the notes, who presumably starved eventually after slowly going insane) In case you're curious, here's the full text:

Victim's Memoir 1/5 posted:

I ate my friend today. What else was I supposed to do? I was starving. We both were. And there's no food here. So we decided, together, that one of us should try to live just a little bit longer. If I ever get home, I'm supposed to tell all the people waiting for us what happened. We left it all up to a game of paper-scissors-rock. Loser eats winner. And I lost. I felt her blood going down my throat, quenching my thirst. And her meat was supple and satisfying. But that blood and that meat was once my friend. Up until just a few hours before, I'd been talking with her. As I feasted, I just kept thinking, this food used to be a person. Before I tore it apart, it all worked together to sustain a life. And every time I thought about that, I just started crying...and I couldn't stop. I wanted some part of her to be with me even after she died, so I decided to keep one of her eyeballs. And I thought maybe I should write all of this down, to help preserve some small portion of my sanity.

Victim's Memoir 2/5 posted:

I hold, in the palm of my hand... ...a piece of a person's body. A piece of a person who was living and breathing only a short while ago. This body part used to be attached to her head. And now, I'm walking around the school with it. I had no idea eyeballs were so heavy. And I just keep squishing it in the palm of my hand, as if I'm testing its firmness. Squeeze, and release... Squeeze, and release...

Victim's Memoir 3/5 posted:

I've been searching every last corner of this school building, trying to find a way of escaping with her. But it's not happening. No matter how much we struggle, only further misery awaits us. I'm so unbearably thirsty...so hungry that it feels like my stomach is eating itself... And every moment, it gets worse. It's like a big, black mass in front of me that's slowly closing in. I can't keep ignoring it. I've started talking to the eyeball in my hand, to help stay focused and maintain my sanity. Stop looking at me like that! I swear, I'll find us a way out of here! I have to make sure I tell your family what you did for me...

Victim's Memoir 4/5 posted:

I am writing these memoris wit hsticky hansd but its not me that is stiky but somethng else I hope you re not mad about this maybe you will think im a horribl e person but i got hungry again really hungry like i was about to DIE so i I did something I shouldn't have done. I promised myself I would stay sane, and promised myself I wouldn't do what I did, and I am so, so sorry, really, really sorry, really sorry but there is no excuse for what I did. With my bloody hands, I took the thing that I've been squishing, and I put it in my mouth, and I swallowed it. Iateit.

Victim's Memoir 5/5 posted:

if you are reading this allow me to forewarn you there is no hope of rescue there is nothing to be gained endless wandering and endless torture is the nature of this place i succumbed to my hunger and thirst began nibbling on that corpse again there is no flavor, no sensation just meat and fluid to sate my empty belly i promised i would not desecrate your body any more but i broke that promise please forgive me

Oh, and if that's not enough, the notes themselves are cursed and if your character reads all 5 of them, he becomes possessed and ends up eating his fellow party member. :stonklol:

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
I was wrong. That totally should've been Trails in the Chest. :allears:

It also means that I should get around to playing Corpse Party at some point. If only Cold Steel on PC wasn't coming out today.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

...yep, that sure is a video game that I'll never play for as long as I live, all right. :stare:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So if anyone wishes to see what Star Door 8 was hinting towards and hasn't yet played Cold Steel, it's on PC, GOG and Humble now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You can also check out my LP and watch me and my two buddies stumble our way through the game.

The LP's briefly on hiatus, but we should be back on track towards the end of the month.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

STARING CONTEST

GO

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
I'll be honest, this was one of the more meh doors. Maybe it's because I don't really care for Maybelle and Lila. At least the money's good.

Of course, five games from now, it'll turn it had massive foreshadowing that Lila was Grandmaster all along.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Dunno why you'd have to trade in a bunch of Sepith for that door considering that you get 40k mira just from chests around the schoolhouse.

Unless funds are that tight in this game that you won't have 10k kicking around from getting this far.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh wow, I totally forgot that this was that door. I agree, it wasn't a great door, except that Anelace owns and she and Maybelle played off each other beautifully.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Pretty sure the fee to get in the door is just for thematic reasons, what with that town having a really big market.

Anyways for the next boss, I can't decide between Julia with Renne, or Julia with Richard

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That was amusing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like when there are enough dialogue portraits to start clowning around with them.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
And so the Lila-Maybelle ship is officially launched with the official Anelace-seal of approval. (the same seal of approval that's totally okay with 25-year old guys dating 13-year old girls :rolleyes: ) To be honest, while playing through FC I did kinda wonder whether Falcom was trying to imply something more than mere friendship between the two, what with Lila's devotion to Maybelle, her being at her side all the time even when there was no need for her own maid and Lila suspiciously checking out the compatibility tester at the Jenis school festival.

I kinda ended up shelving that theory when Lila's backstory was revealed in SC and I learned that Lila and Maybelle are essentially foster siblings. I feel kinda dumb for not realizing at the time that them being adopted siblings meant Falcom was MORE rather than LESS likely to end up shipping them because of their relationship. :twisted:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

your staring contest winner for the twelfth year running:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That chest knew what's what.

Phillip did Rend Renne almost to her End.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My favorite trend of the Trails series in general is that no matter how special and super awesome the teenagers and young adults we play as are, the actual adults and seasoned veterans are even moreso. :allears:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The moment I saw Phillip was the boss here, I knew what was coming later this chapter. And I got ridiculously excited.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 3, 2017

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017

Super Jay Mann posted:

My favorite trend of the Trails series in general is that no matter how special and super awesome the teenagers and young adults we play as are, the actual adults and seasoned veterans are even moreso. :allears:

Well, the party as they are fast approaching these levels of badass. No more 'I was actually holding back all along and now need to be stopped by a convenient helper'. We can actually beat these guys.

Thinking about it, it was a missed opportunity to have Phillip not do anything during the attack on Grancel castle in FC. Oh well, at least he has offscreen moment of resistance against the Enforcers.

BTW Am I right in thinking this is the first time we see Phillip's full name?

NotASmartMan fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 3, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Renne's kitty impersonation is all matter of adorable.

NotASmartMan posted:

Well, the party as they are fast approaching these levels of badass. No more 'I was actually holding back all along and now need to be stopped by a convenient helper'. We can actually beat these guys.

Thinking about it, it was a missed opportunity to have Phillip not do anything during the attack on Grancel castle in FC. Oh well, at least he has offscreen moment of resistance against the Enforcers.

I imagine the reason they didn't show it was so this particular fight had greater impact. And no, during the scene in SC where he confronted the enforcers, he already revealed his full name.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss is an extremely good track in a game full of good tracks.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NotASmartMan posted:

It's the first time you hear his old titles.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Dunno why you'd have to trade in a bunch of Sepith for that door considering that you get 40k mira just from chests around the schoolhouse.

Unless funds are that tight in this game that you won't have 10k kicking around from getting this far.

I might have just not spent my money wisely in my first playthrough, but I was always flat broke.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Still waiting on the fight against Niall and Dorothy where it turns out they're the strongest enemies in the game.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ultrafilter posted:

Still waiting on the fight against Niall and Dorothy where it turns out they're the strongest enemies in the game.

Niall flicks a cigarette at you. OHKO.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

ultrafilter posted:

Dorothy is the Grandmaster.

Edit: gently caress yes:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So if anyone wishes to see what Star Door 8 was hinting towards and hasn't yet played Cold Steel, it's on PC, GOG and Humble now.

I know what I'll be doing with my weekend.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't know how soon I can knock out the next update, but in the meantime I've actually managed to complete Trails in the Chest

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I wonder if Part II will be in the Crossbell games.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Some Numbers posted:

I wonder if Part II will be in the Crossbell games.

Somehow it ends up in Cold Steel 3 instead. Also kinda sad that there's no chest messages in Cold Steel 1.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

And now that I've finally finished reading the previous update:

Phillip is the best fight. Not the hardest, but he's such an awesome badass. :allears:

... and now to go back to work and read the next update. :v:

Really Pants posted:

Ein ever would have guessed.

Also, you are so fired.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Today I finally finished my 100% playthrough of Sky SC. Got all the achievements too. Tomorrow I'll be starting this game and trying to catch up to the LP, although I probably won't finish my playthrough before the LP finishes.

EDIT: Started the Third and finished the prologue... to the prologue. Love the new normal battle music, I like it better than the normal battle music for the previous two games.

Does anyone know which .OGG file goes with which song? Is there a list matching ED6*** to the name of a song? I can make one myself, but it would save me a little time if one already exists.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 5, 2017

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

havenwaters posted:

Somehow it ends up in Cold Steel 3 instead. Also kinda sad that there's no chest messages in Cold Steel 1.

Well, at least if we ever do get the crossbell games, they would be able to support chest messages.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Phillip is the best fight. Not the hardest, but he's such an awesome badass. :allears:

This chapter is crammed full of awesome fights, and what is probably the best track in the game, too!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just finished the first door (Orbal Gear Project 1). Hooolllllyyy crap, the cutscenes are so looooonnnngggggg.

As for Erika... she should learn that there's a fine line really thick line between "overprotective" and "psychotic".

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 6, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I just finished the first door (Orbal Gear Project 1). Hooolllllyyy crap, the cutscenes are so looooonnnngggggg.

Moon Doors are ridiculously long. The Star Doors are much shorter.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Moon Door 1 part 1 and Moon Door 4 are the only ones that are one long cutscene. The others give you control so you can save your game in the middle of the door.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay, just reached the start of Chapter 2. I wouldn't have known to look for the Carnelia series back at the start if not for the LP. (I did find the one on the airship.)
Kevin somehow missed the third possibility: It was not Grancel at all and you're just in another part of Phantasma. That's my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, how would you even put that story together without a screenshot tool?

• Locked thread