Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Ahhhh poo poo the guys in the 1998 draft are my age. Now I feel old as balls. :corsair:

Also I guess this means my hockey dreams are probably over huh.

Once I started looking up guys for the SAS Fantasy Draft and looking at their birthdays that were the same year as mine and instantly going "gently caress he's too old" I felt permanently and hopelessly Old. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

chychrun had knee surgery and the coyotes aren't saying anything about it. i dunno

Albino Squirrel posted:

Ahhhh poo poo the guys in the 1998 draft are my age. Now I feel old as balls. :corsair:

You can probably play in the olympics though

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It was worse when Jason Giambi retired, he was the last active Big Four player to be drafted in the 80s

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Albino Squirrel posted:

you can only go play in Europe now, sorry

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I dunno, I don't have too much trouble reading those charts/graphs. I like having the info visualized like that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The true end of an era will come when the last player caricatured in a "mutant league" game retires.

(I'm pretty sure its Jagr)

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/ArashMadani/status/893251406676852740

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Chelios is going to be on the US Olympic team coaching staff.

I joke, but I can't help but like the idea of putting the band back together since NHLers won't be going. Grizzled vets coming out of retirement and playing with young bucks has a certain dramatic appeal.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The olympics is going to be a poo poo show and Bettman is going to be smug as gently caress about it, blissfully ignoring it would rate better if the league went.

Granted the olympics do nothing for the NHL so he's not wrong to do this.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://www.facebook.com/nyrangers/videos/10155060253089858/

Zucc is the goddamn best :3:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

Granted the olympics do nothing for the NHL
Bullshit

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They provide plenty of intangibles.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Schremp Howard posted:

Granted the olympics do nothing for the NHL so he's not wrong to do this.

Yeah, uh, USA v Canada a few years ago was insane and got a lot of people I know into hockey. At the very least, they watch the playoffs now.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

There are zero metrics that support the Olympics benefitting the NHL. Attendance doesn't go up. Ratings don't go up. Merch sales don't go up. It's not even a correlation, let alone causation.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

There are zero metrics that support the Olympics benefitting the NHL. Attendance doesn't go up. Ratings don't go up. Merch sales don't go up. It's not even a correlation, let alone causation.

Depends if you ask the NHL then

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=4316&cHash=2ef3232e7ee863027c963b45b503b997

or now. They sure said it did in 2010.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, imma jump on the anecdote train and say I know multiple people that got into hockey because of the Olympics; specifically Canada USA matchups.

Also, the Stars signed that brother of that cool Olympian chick to a year and some money.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah, imma jump on the anecdote train and say I know multiple people that got into hockey because of the Olympics; specifically Canada USA matchups.

Also, the Stars signed that brother of that cool Olympian chick to a year and some money.

As stated elsewhere:

https://twitter.com/doomocrat/status/893549376970174464

Not again, god DAMMIT.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

hifi posted:

chychrun had knee surgery and the coyotes aren't saying anything about it. i dunno

https://twitter.com/j_chychrun7/sta...p%3Ft%3D2377023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JoelJoel posted:

Then tell those freeloaders to buy stuff.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I'll cheer for whichever player that gives Bettman the finger and goes to Pyeongchang anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They already talked about bullying the IIHF into banning teams from selecting anyone with an NHL deal.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

What would they threaten them with? Pulling out of the World Championships?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The IIHF is also in charge of Olympic hockey.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

The IIHF is also in charge of Olympic hockey.

Yeah, but the question is what will the NHL do to bully them?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

If the players wanted to go so badly they would have taken the NHL's offer to suspend the regular season for it again.

No one is being a rebel and going.

No one is being the cool owner and saying it's OK for my guys to skip out anyway.

No one who doesn't already love hockey a real lot is going to tune in at 7 am and get hooked on the sport.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The real test will be if Ovechkin decides to go and tells the NHL to gently caress off

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

If the players wanted to go so badly they would have taken the NHL's offer to suspend the regular season for it again.

Also possible the NHLPA didn't represent everyone's opinions when it made the decision to screw the Olympics and push for a better deal overall.

ElwoodCuse posted:

No one is being a rebel and going.

No American or Canadian will go, but that's because the NHL has them on choke-chains and you know they can't. Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic? These guys know this is literally their best chance to win Olympic Gold.
I could 100% see someone from those countries saying "gently caress it, I'll take the [couple game suspension/fine/combination of both]".

ElwoodCuse posted:

No one is being the cool owner and saying it's OK for my guys to skip out anyway.

I could see some of the Owners looking for ways to make it happen and minimise the potential fall-out should it happen. For example: if I'm Ted Leonsis and Brian MacLellan I'm talking to Ovie and I'm just taking a quick take of how bad he wants to go and how bad it's gonna be if he goes. If it's less than a 5 game suspension and he's willing to pay any financial penalty, I'm probably going to let him go rather than deal with a mopey, pissed off Ovie.

ElwoodCuse posted:

No one who doesn't already love hockey a real lot is going to tune in at 7 am and get hooked on the sport.

Yeah because Korea and China are definitely places the NHL doesn't want to have like the sport.
Quick question: when Manchester United plays games in Shanghai, you think they're doing it out of the goodness of their heart to grow the game?

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 5, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I would bank that Ovie is gonna miss games either because he goes and plays somehow or as a protest. He's said so forever and Leonsis has backed him, though the league would probably step in to stop/punish owners doing that.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I predict Ovie is injured in the week leading up to the Olympics and thus dodges the situation entirely.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
yeah and never before seen player Alexander Velikiy will carry team russia to olympic gold

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Schlesische posted:

Yeah because Korea and China are definitely places the NHL doesn't want to have like the sport.
Quick question: when Manchester United plays games in Shanghai, you think they're doing it out of the goodness of their heart to grow the game?

There's a difference between playing one or two games as part of an already international league tournament and shutting down your league for three weeks in the middle of its season to let star players represent their country. The NHL would be totally fine with playing two games in Pyeongchang or another place they want to grow the game (as they have done in the past) if they had more control over the marketing/advertising/anything after the games are done.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I watched FIN/SWE at 7 AM in a University of Chicago house common room with a cantonese exchange student. Game growing through the olympics, hey all right.

The "We'll let you go if you give up" stuff is classic lockout era push-pull stuff. There is no reason not to be a player's first guy in 2017 unless you're greedy or thick headed.

The NHL is more than willing to go IT'S GREAT LOOK HOW THIS HELPS when they go. Don't be a dope.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah, uh, USA v Canada a few years ago was insane and got a lot of people I know into hockey. At the very least, they watch the playoffs now.

I saw Facebook statuses about the USA/Russia game where Oshie scored like 5 shootout goals from people who had little or no interest in hockey.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Let's be completely real here: the NHL owners are barring the players from participating as a potential bargaining chip come next CBA. Nothing more, nothing less.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 5, 2017

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013
The location where the games are held doesn't really matter all that much. People around the globe watch whether it's in their country or not.

It's a negotiating tactic and nothing more. I very much agree with that.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Everything we see here though is anecdotal or snapshot moments of people watching a singular event. There's no telling if the people who watched Oshie score or watched a random game go on to be NHL fans, and the league doesn't have the evidence to suggest that they do. The fact that they can't capitalize on those moments may be the league's own fault, but it's hard to argue with their standpoint of not wanting to shut down the league for three weeks and not get any monetary benefit from it.

I'd love it if the players went because it's a tournament with most of the best players all caring about the outcome and playing intense hockey. The NHL is insane if they think they can get players to care about a World Cup to replace the olympics. But when looking at it from ownerships perspective and not the lens of a fan, passing on the olympics makes plenty of sense.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well the logic is pretty simple: if you put NHL players in the olympics you may get new hockey fans, may not. If you keep them out of the olympics you 100% won't get new fans.

This is a fundamental concept of marketing, if you're not out there showing off your product you're not gonna sell anything.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Hey, the league doesn't have evidence head hits lead to CTE so we might as well not worry about it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Hey, the league doesn't have evidence head hits lead to CTE so we might as well not worry about it

They don't have any evidence that heads hitting the boards can cause a concussion either. Only the ice, elbows, and shoulders can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

:lol:

• Locked thread