Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

TheKennedys posted:

I know we say this a lot because goons, etc, but honestly there is something very, very wrong with that man's brain and it's only a matter of time before he has either a total narcissistic meltdown or ends up shooting squirrels out the window with a high-powered rifle because he thinks they're ISIS insurgents

how did you find out my cunning highly trained gay squirrel plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Admiral Zukunft, Commandant of the Coast Guard posted:

I reached out personally to Lt. Taylor Miller, who was featured on the cover of The Washington Post last week. If you read that story, Taylor's family has disowned her. Her family is the United States Coast Guard. And I told Taylor, 'I will not turn my back. We have made an investment in you, and you have made an investment in the Coast Guard, and I will not break faith.
:3: :patriot:
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/08/01/commandant-i-will-not-break-faith-transgender-coast-guardsmen.html?variant=mobile.amp

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The coast guard is pretty good folks. I spent a summer a couple of years back working for their historian's office in DC and it was very rewarding work. And the attractive dudes in dress pants that really showed off their butts did not hurt.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

TheKennedys posted:

I know we say this a lot because goons, etc, but honestly there is something very, very wrong with that man's brain and it's only a matter of time before he has either a total narcissistic meltdown or ends up shooting squirrels out the window with a high-powered rifle because he thinks they're ISIS insurgents

Reading articles about Trump from decades ago it seems like he's always been this messed up, or at least since the mid 80s or so.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

AlexJade posted:

I can't imagine the head of the joint chiefs of staff is very happy right now considering his pro-LGBT views.

I expect that's part of why the Joint Chiefs' official opinion on the matter is "gently caress You, a Tweet is not a legal order."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Liquid Communism posted:

I expect that's part of why the Joint Chiefs' official opinion on the matter is "gently caress You, a Tweet is not a legal order."

Also helps that Trump lied about talking to anyone at the Pentagon about banning transgender people from the military (he hadn't) and apparently has not actually made any moves towards actually trying to force the military to ban transgender people.

Trump having the attention spam of a gnat is for once working out in the LGBT community's favor.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

His attention span is only slightly smaller than his hands, or slightly larger than his endowment.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Well poo poo :(

Trump’s Trans Military Ban Now Policy

quote:

President Donald Trump may be on a 17- day vacation but his White House has been scrambling to hand him a “win” by the time he returns. Trump’s tweets last week announcing a ban on transgender individuals serving openly in the U.S. military was turned into a “guidance” policy for implementation that passed muster with the White House Counsel’s office Friday night. Approved by Trump, the new policy is expected to be now delivered into the hands of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, who has been quiet on the issue with approximately 15,000 trans servicemembers under his command.

After his review, Mattis is expected to order a deliberate implementation by the Pentagon, which could take a period of time.

Though the policy—called “A Guidance Policy for Open Transgender Service Phase Out”—has not yet been made public, sources familiar with the planning said it would encourage early retirement, usher out any enlisted personnel after their contract is up, and would fire trans officers up for promotion. Basically, said a source, “the administration want to get rid of transgender servicemembers as fast as they can.”

No one yet knows what will happen to the servicemembers currently fighting in combat. The new policy does allow trans servicemembers to continue serving but apparently does not offer any protection from harassment or other efforts to get them to quit.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

loving garbage

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
In this case, as in so many before, it's going to prove harder to roll back protections and remove rights than I think the administration fully understands. (I'd say "than Trump understands" but he's basically a senile racist grandpa randomly firing lovely neurons at this point.) Once people serve alongside out trans people, they build ties of empathy and understanding that aren't so easy to sever. I think if the administration wants to hurt trans people they're more than capable of doing it, but their regressive fifties status quo has already taken some damage.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Which laws handle lgbt protections in the US right now?

ENDA never passed and Barney Frank took his ball home when HRC finally gave up on being the only LGBT org to support the transphobic version of it so employment and housing is still an issue. Gay marriage, sodomy laws and the Matt Shepard act is afaik the only stuff that really exists, and fair weather allies are probably not going to care overly much after a few months. A lot of existing protections come from federal government directives that don't have a law backing them still.

It will be a lot of noise at first but I expect things to squeak the same way the travel ban happened.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Quorum posted:

In this case, as in so many before, it's going to prove harder to roll back protections and remove rights than I think the administration fully understands. (I'd say "than Trump understands" but he's basically a senile racist grandpa randomly firing lovely neurons at this point.) Once people serve alongside out trans people, they build ties of empathy and understanding that aren't so easy to sever. I think if the administration wants to hurt trans people they're more than capable of doing it, but their regressive fifties status quo has already taken some damage.

Military leadership is also highly likely to resist this move. The White House and the Pentagon do not want the same things, and it'll be interesting to see if the Pentagon throws its weight into dragging its heels.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

Military leadership is also highly likely to resist this move. The White House and the Pentagon do not want the same things, and it'll be interesting to see if the Pentagon throws its weight into dragging its heels.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the pentagon's gonna do exactly that. They don't want this and have made it clear they don't want this, and are making an active effort to stay as clear as possible of Trump's mess.

Doesn't mean some lower level asshats won't try to start trouble now that Trump is encouraging them (which will suck for anyone that runs into it), but I suspect they'll find a good chunk of the higher brass is incredibly non-sympathetic if for no other reason than because they HATE Trump and hate doing anything he wants them to do.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the pentagon's gonna do exactly that. They don't want this and have made it clear they don't want this, and are making an active effort to stay as clear as possible of Trump's mess.

Doesn't mean some lower level asshats won't try to start trouble now that Trump is encouraging them (which will suck for anyone that runs into it), but I suspect they'll find a good chunk of the higher brass is incredibly non-sympathetic if for no other reason than because they HATE Trump and hate doing anything he wants them to do.

No one wanted this. The republicans wanted an EO to stop money going to gender reassignment surgery for the military so they had better cover negotiating a budget with the house freedom caucus. Still a super lovely thing to do, but not even the same ballpark as this. Trump just went full ahead with a blanket ban.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Couldn't the military just say " Yep, we're gonna go do this but we need to figure out the right way and that's going to take at minimum 7 years"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hollismason posted:

Couldn't the military just say " Yep, we're gonna go do this but we need to figure out the right way and that's going to take at minimum 7 years"

If and when the brass decides to stone wall they'll be subtler about it but with a similar result.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If and when the brass decides to stone wall they'll be subtler about it but with a similar result.

And they'll say that after a couple of years of sending the paperwork back to the White House and insisting they fill it out properly.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I honestly doubt the pentagon would stonewall that much if it became official, full fledged policy. There were shortages of arabic and persian translators throughout the war on Terra and they never seemed to try particularly hard to retain people with the skills who happened to be in some way undesirable.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The issue is more a matter of them being obligated to do it by someone most of them detest; the brass is more than happy to discriminate against people they don't like, but they're never happy when the civilian authority tries to micromanage them. What would be more telling is how hard they try to fight the inevitable discrimination lawsuits, or if they make the white house do it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
There's also the logistical nightmare of trying to discharge thousands of soldiers in the field (some in command positions) during the middle of an on going war.

Its definitely not altruism but sometimes anger and resentment can be better motivators. Like everything else Trump has done so far he probably didn't think this plan through and left it wide open for a counter attack.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Agnosticnixie posted:

I honestly doubt the pentagon would stonewall that much if it became official, full fledged policy. There were shortages of arabic and persian translators throughout the war on Terra and they never seemed to try particularly hard to retain people with the skills who happened to be in some way undesirable.

Didn't the top brass testify to Congress on the repeal of DADT on the basis that enough of the linguists were gay that them getting randomly booted out was hurting readiness? I get it was self-serving, but the brass did stand up to Congress and got concessions for LGB service members from them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

rkajdi posted:

Didn't the top brass testify to Congress on the repeal of DADT on the basis that enough of the linguists were gay that them getting randomly booted out was hurting readiness? I get it was self-serving, but the brass did stand up to Congress and got concessions for LGB service members from them.

They did. From what I've heard from serving family members, our military leadership intensely dislikes Trump to begin with for being erratic, volatile, and having no clear foreign policy or vision for the future. The military likes it when they have a clear understanding of what to expect from the president and what the president expects from them. Trump is... not that.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

They probably are little annoyed at the president for just blurting our state secrets to foreign leaders for no apparent reason

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
From what I understand the Military had quite the brain drain because of DADT and were not very happy about it.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

It's looking more likely that Australia is having a vote on marriage equality. It is meaningless and merely gives hate groups a national stage to spread anti-gay propaganda.

quote:

A planned postal vote on equal marriage in Australia will not be subject to rules that prohibit malicious or misleading campaign materials.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has vowed to push ahead with plans to put equal marriage to a public vote this week, despite the Senate blocking plans for a formal plebiscite.

In a bid to circumvent Parliament, Mr Turnbull has given the green light to an informal ‘postal vote’ of Australians, which will be advisory and non-binding in nature.

As the postal vote is set to go ahead without Parliamentary approval, it will not be subject to the laws that govern elections – including those that restrict misleading campaign materials.

The vote will be carried out by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, which means it will not be regulated under Commonwealth Electoral Act rules..
LGBT campaigners have warned that this means that the anti-gay marriage campaign will be essentially free to peddle outright mistruths and homophobic smears with little recourse when the vote goes ahead.

Campaign materials from the anti-LGBT Australian Marriage Forum already describes equal marriage as “stealing children” from straight people.

Public opinion in Australia strongly favors marriage equality.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Need some good news?

The Texas House of Representatives has ended its special session without passing an anti-transgender “bathroom bill.”

The Human Rights Campaign tweeted early this evening that the session is over and the legislation is dead.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

https://twitter.com/AynRandPaulRyan/status/900518445141315584

The Wall Street Journal posted:

The White House memo also directs the Pentagon to deny admittance to transgender individuals and to stop spending on medical treatment regimens for those currently serving, according to U.S. officials familiar with the document.

:tif:

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Its a few days ago, but looks like Mattis is stalling the transgender nonsense for now, and leaving current policy in place. So there is that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mattis-transgender-troops-can-stay-until-study-complete_us_59a6aa8ee4b00795c2a2e45c

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

GhostBoy posted:

Its a few days ago, but looks like Mattis is stalling the transgender nonsense for now, and leaving current policy in place. So there is that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mattis-transgender-troops-can-stay-until-study-complete_us_59a6aa8ee4b00795c2a2e45c

uh, not really? he's following orders as directed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ZackFord/status...ame_sex_couples

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

I assume other posters have already heard about the circus-go-round with Manning?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/15/551151607/harvard-withdraws-fellowship-invitation-to-chelsea-manning

Honestly, what a joke of an institution.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mike Pompeo is a piece of poo poo, but he does make some salient points. Chelsea betrayed the very oath she took when she enlisted. Granted she had a rough patchy time and had a lot of trouble with the Army and her leadership, that doesn't justify the actions she took nor did she do anything heroic by dumping hundreds of thousands of state department cables etc.

I do think she has important things to say about the lovely hand that trans people and especially trans-servicemembers experience. Harvard inviting her to speak with regards to these topics is valid and well justified and I'm glad they're having her speak, but she should not be glorified for her actions that led to her conviction.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

This WashPo op-ed sums it up for me:

quote:

When offering future invitations, sure. Harvard has a bad habit of inviting buzzy figures to be IOP fellows not because of their sterling commitment to the values the school holds dear but because of prestige or publicity. Establishing an explicit set of principles — one that distinguishes between the Mannings and Spicers of the world — to determine whether someone deserves the designation of fellow is not a bad idea. Neither is laying out exactly what statement Harvard makes when it invites someone to spend time at the Institute of Politics.

But Harvard didn’t do, and still has not done, any of that. And the IOP’s leaders didn’t express any ambivalence up front about Manning’s actions, just as they didn’t about Lewandowski, Spicer or any other undesirable. The biggest difference between Manning and the controversial figures who will remain fellows this fall is that important people objected to Manning’s presence. That seems to prove plenty of other things people say about Harvard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah that's a pretty good article. I also think it was chickenshit of harvard to offer and then yank a title, but i'm glad she's getting to speak still regardless.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Leaking war crimes evidence is extremely good and should be encouraged.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shukaro posted:

Leaking war crimes evidence is extremely good and should be encouraged.

I agree, but the fact that video got published as a part of the dump is more an outlier compared to the voluminous amount of other poo poo she dumped as well. If she had only dumped stuff like the collateral murder video, I'd preach right along with you. The fact that there was one or two good things exposed does not remotely make up for the sheer amount of damage done otherwise.

Leaking one or two pertinent things makes you a whistleblower. Indiscriminately dumping uncurated gigs of classified data that happens to have a few whistleblowing items in it does not.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 15, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

yeah, like, i think it reflects pretty badly on your organization to make a fellowship offer to a prominent political figure only to immediately reverse it when some bigwig objects and pretend like you didn't understand exactly what you were doing by offering it in the first place

i don't really care about whether manning 'deserves' the honor. harvard iop has made it pretty clear by this exchange that it really isn't one regardless, imo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AriadneThread posted:

yeah, like, i think it reflects pretty badly on your organization to make a fellowship offer to a prominent political figure only to immediately reverse it when some bigwig objects and pretend like you didn't understand exactly what you were doing by offering it in the first place

i don't really care about whether manning 'deserves' the honor. harvard iop has made it pretty clear by this exchange that it really isn't one regardless, imo

Exactly, if they didn't want such a thing they shouldn't have even made the offer. There was no point to that whole fellowship offer/fellowship retraction thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Sessions has rescinded protections for Trans individuals from Workplace Discrimination

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...+Discrimination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Sessions has rescinded protections for Trans individuals from Workplace Discrimination

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...+Discrimination

gently caress you you evil keebler elf

• Locked thread