Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Do you like DoomRL? Do you want to play DoomRL in your browser, watch recorded games, and find new, exciting bugs in my software?

If so, you're in luck, because the ancilla DoomRL server is back up and running. For the most part it should behave the same as it did before I shut it down for some "quick" upgrades nearly a year ago; the main user-visible changes are that the browser client should automatically size itself to fit your browser window (when first opened; it doesn't cope with resizes well) and that there are some improvements to the spectator/replay viewer (including the ability to press '?' at any time to get a help screen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kanos posted:

I picked up Dungeonmans and I'm super mixed on it. I like the writing and the meta-progression feels insanely strong(it took roughly 5 minutes for my second character to overpower my first one at his time of death), but the skill trees feel really weird and disjointed and I'm not really sure how I should be building a character. It also makes me feel a little bit like a newbie playing ToME for the first time because I lost my first character in an area where I was trivially one shotting all of the trash with no effort and then the area champion did 125% of my life with his first attack. :psyduck:

Every skill point is consequential in Dungeonmans. Many of the skills are about positioning, buffing, etc. which just takes a little bit of practice to see the uses of.

If you want my advice, start out as a Dungeonmans, and get Applied Wizardry, The Terrible Basics of Necromancy, and Raise a Mostly. On first level up, grab Volatile Liquidity. This is a very straightforward starting build: foom bolt down basic enemies, against champions or unusually tough things, raise a mostly and infect the strong thing with Volatile Liquidity, and any of its buddies too. This basically mulches 95% of the early game without much further investment, so you can feel free to grab other stuff or continue down the trees you started with. Southern Gentlemans skills and Bannermans skills both go well with a necromancer lifestyle (or any, really), so you can branch into those too. Make sure you grab an armor skill (any is fine, mages can wear Real Armor just fine and I usually do).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I find Light "Armor" to be the most reliable for casters, a) as it basically gives you extra HP on top of your normal pool, and b) since you typically don't use stamina powers often, you'll always be ready to recast it when it runs out. Real Armor does give you much better defenses though.

The wizardmans spells are almost all useful, so long as your mana holds out. They have great escape spells (decoy is basically a "get out of fight free" spell for the early/mid-game, and they have a targeted teleport), a variety of elements to hurt things with, some cool buffs and niche attack spells, and some pretty great burst/AoE damage with Foom From The Skies. The big gotcha with wizardmans is that mana doesn't regenerate over time (without specific equipment), so for every enemy you unleash your full pyrotechnic fury on, there's gonna be one or two or three that you have to take down with ordinary foombolts. But Bolt of Foom is basically a bow in staff form, so that's no big deal either.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

MidBoss is back in action after some time spent recharging from the launch chaos with Part 1 of at least 2 rounds of far reaching QoL improvements and myriad miscellaneous bits:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/561740/announcements/detail/1438190618784767240

Between it and Possession landing in November, good times for RL mechanics exploration by the end of 2017~ http://store.steampowered.com/app/629340/Possession/

Probably my favorite thing about Roguelikes is how you can have two games within the same genre with extremely similar core mechanics, and yet they still look and feel way different

Possession looks cool

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Cryptark trip report: The starting suit, the gunhead, might be the best on account of starting with a silent lethal melee weapon, allowing you to prevent cascades of skeleton robots dropping by to see what all the fuss is about.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

vorebane posted:

Cryptark trip report: The starting suit, the gunhead, might be the best on account of starting with a silent lethal melee weapon, allowing you to prevent cascades of skeleton robots dropping by to see what all the fuss is about.

The Intruder, Rook, and PDX-40 all have strong claims to the title as well:

- Rook has at-will invulnerability; you can't move or shoot but you can keep it running as long as you like. This massively increases surviveability with careful use (although it may also train bad habits like never dodging).
- Intruder can teleport and starts with a ranged, high-accuracy, high-damage silent weapon (the Hush Puppy)
- PDX-40 has bullet time and starts with a thermal javelin launcher, which is a ranged, high accuracy, high damage, infinite ammo silent weapon and one of my favourite weapons full stop.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Hm I may be a fool for taking the weevil, then, though it's been fun and tough. Don't you have to go and get the javelins you shoot back though? At least that's how it worked when my friend and I doing coop tried the javelin out. And only the first player could pick the thing up too.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

vorebane posted:

If anyone actually gets stealth to work on the cryptark itself, let me know. It's usually a guns-blazing affair for me

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Yah so far hoping for a laser has not availed me when I get to the cryptark. Next time it's a high explosives affair I think.

e: ok dumb thing I am about to find out - if the no grenades objective means I can't use rockets either.

confirmed! rocket propelled grenades: not grenades.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 6, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh, while I'm on the topic of DoomRL -- I don't remember if I posted this when I first wrote it, but anyone who wished Juggler actually worked for all weapons (and/or that you could hotkey weapon categories) should check out controls.lua and quickkeys.lua from the doomrl-server configs. You don't need the server to use these; they should work with any DoomRL install. With QuickKeysUseCategories = true, quickkeys.lua will bind each hotkey to an entire category of weapons and pressing it repeatedly will cycle through them (instantly, if you have Juggler).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
In Dungeonmans does skill add damage to fool bolts?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm probably a big stupid baby for missing it, but how do I hotkey abilities in Tangledeep ? I'm pressing the number keys and the F row but that doesn't work.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

In Dungeonmans does skill add damage to fool bolts?

Nope. Get a better staff if you want more damage.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Serephina posted:

If anyone actually gets stealth to work on the cryptark itself, let me know. It's usually a guns-blazing affair for me

The way I play "stealth" ships, especially on the cryptark, is not "slow and silent", but "light and fast".
Get in, quickly destroy as many systems as possible, and get out before poo poo hits the fan (with invisibility/teleport/slow time) then do the same thing elsewhere.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Dungeonmans has consumed my entire day, holy poo poo. I'm having a blast using Wizardmans and Necromanser skills. I'm wondering about the skill Battlemage, that lets me use a staff and a 1H sword in my offhand. Do I need to pickup the 1H weapon skill, Fundamentals of Monster Crushing in the Adventurw 101 skill tab, to take advantage of Battlemage? I imagine having two weapons with enchantments could get really wicked.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Pretty sure it lets you equip one handed weapons when you pick up battlemage.

Also iirc the two weapon skill tree also works with staff+sword, which can let you do silly melee wizard builds.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't played this game in over a year and on a whim fired it up this morning and six hours later here we are. I feel like a alot has changed since I last touched the game. This is a solid game. Only down side to it is getting in my way of finishing Baldurs Gate today!

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda

Bug Squash posted:

I'm probably a big stupid baby for missing it, but how do I hotkey abilities in Tangledeep ? I'm pressing the number keys and the F row but that doesn't work.

Hover over the ability in the skill screen and press a number 1-8, that should work. You can also drag and drop the skills into the hotbar.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm on my first successful character ever after playing for 8 hours today. It's a level 10 wizard using light armor, fire magics, and necromancy. Basically I use magic armors, summons Mostlies, and burn things with fire.

I'm looking at the skill that lets me use a 1H weapon with a staff and I have two questions. One, if I put a point into it I don't also needs a point in 1H weapons do i? Two, if a sword in my offhand has, for example, 1d4 fire damage, is that applied to my foombolts I'm firing out of my staff? If offhand weapon skills are applied to the main weapon attack I'm probably going to invest a point in that skill.

At the end of my bender today I cleared a Mountain fort that ended with me bearing a real big, 4,000 HP, Viking guy. I had no idea I was in for a boss like that! Now I need to shop around for more combat blink scrolls and other consumables. I think I used at least 10 potions between hp, mp, armor, and damage, and all four of my blink scrolls.

I can't wait to have time again to dig deeper and hopefully put off death for as long as possible.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm looking at the skill that lets me use a 1H weapon with a staff and I have two questions. One, if I put a point into it I don't also needs a point in 1H weapons do i? Two, if a sword in my offhand has, for example, 1d4 fire damage, is that applied to my foombolts I'm firing out of my staff? If offhand weapon skills are applied to the main weapon attack I'm probably going to invest a point in that skill.

The swordstaff skill grants you equip-swords and dual-wielding so long as what you're wielding are a staff and a sword. So no, you don't need anything else. You might consider the dervish skills once you have that skill; the combat dash ability can come in handy.

I'm pretty sure that the only thing that affects Bolt of Foom (and other attack spell) damage is your spellpower, which in turn is determined by your staff and (possibly) gloves.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The swordstaff skill grants you equip-swords and dual-wielding so long as what you're wielding are a staff and a sword. So no, you don't need anything else. You might consider the dervish skills once you have that skill; the combat dash ability can come in handy.

I'm pretty sure that the only thing that affects Bolt of Foom (and other attack spell) damage is your spellpower, which in turn is determined by your staff and (possibly) gloves.

Hey, thanks for the advice! I thought I posted this in the Dungeonmans thread and was very confused this morning when I didn't see my post.

This game has its hooks in me hard, I laid in bed for an hour unable to fall asleep last night because I was thinking about playing Dmans. Fuuuck.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, now I get to find out if I can clear the bottom ~80 levels of Angel of 100 Max Carnage with a suit of gothic armour permanently bonded to my skin.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is that just because you found it and want to use it on a lark? Surely Cerberus is ideal on max carnage if you can wrangle it

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

Is that just because you found it and want to use it on a lark? Surely Cerberus is ideal on max carnage if you can wrangle it

It's one of the last two assemblies I haven't discovered, and I had all the parts for it and no other armour. I figure this way I'm one step closer to the diamond assembly badge even if this ultimately gets me killed.

Since building it I've invested heavily in Hellrunner and agi packs and I'm now back down below 1 second/move. My biggest concern is that 25% resistance + 6 DR doesn't go very far against Arachnotrons and Barons.

I've also got Cerberus +A boots, so I can get a lot more casual about setting off lava barrels now.

On the minus side, a Hyperblaster +P turns out to be a really bad idea, because that extra point of damage (plus two points of Son of a Bitch for Cateye) means it now knocks back, which means it tends to knock enemies out of vision range and then the rest of the shots miss.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 7, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

vorebane posted:

Yah so far hoping for a laser has not availed me when I get to the cryptark. Next time it's a high explosives affair I think.

e: ok dumb thing I am about to find out - if the no grenades objective means I can't use rockets either.

confirmed! rocket propelled grenades: not grenades.

Don't bother bringing energy weapons to the Cryptark, there will be enough ammo pods around, bring as much dakka as you can possibly afford to and don't hesitate to refill on ammo and health during the mission, it's the time to spend all your savings. Also, if it's your last chance, don't hesitate to go into the negatives, you can still use the refill pods from there.

My idea of stealth for the Cryptark is throwing explosives inside every room with a component and running away. If I lucked into nuclear grenades, then all the merrier.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

zirconmusic posted:

Hover over the ability in the skill screen and press a number 1-8, that should work. You can also drag and drop the skills into the hotbar.

I was pressing the keys when the abilities were on cooldown :downs:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dead on level 60 to a giant swarm of Archviles, Mancubi, Nightmare Arachnotrons, and Bruiser Brothers that I spawned in the middle of.

60 levels and not a single goddamn BFG. :psyduck:

E: New version of doomrl-server released and live. Changes:

• Added missing closed caption data for a lot of enemies, including the Agony Elemental, Shambler, Lava Elemental, and all Nightmare and Elite enemy variants.
  • Added new setting, NightmareClosedCaptionsMode, which can be used to turn off CC for Nightmare enemies or make them sound like their non-Nightmare variants.
  • Fixed a bug in postmortem processing where anyone dying to a Nightmare Archvile, Nightmare Arachnotron, or Elite Commando would break the scoreboard for the entire server.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 8, 2017

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Wildtortilla posted:

I laid in bed for an hour unable to fall asleep last night because I was thinking about playing Dmans. Fuuuck.

Sometimes I can't sleep because I'm thinking about how not enough people are playing Dmans. I've ruined both our lives!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

Sometimes I can't sleep because I'm thinking about how not enough people are playing Dmans. I've ruined both our lives!

Curse you, madjackmcmad, for making a fun game!

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Since the Steam launch I have played over 60 hours of Tangledeep. I think this might be an issue...

Buy Tangledeep.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Not gonna lie, if you haven't bought Tangledeep you are a horrible person

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not sure if this is the right thread, but is there anywhere that has a good roguelike coding tutorial that is a bit simpler than the python + libtcod one on roguebasin? Because I get a few steps into that and get completely lost.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

V for Vegas posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but is there anywhere that has a good roguelike coding tutorial that is a bit simpler than the python + libtcod one on roguebasin? Because I get a few steps into that and get completely lost.

You might want to look in here as it's an active community of people who want to help you make a roguelike.

I mean this is also the right thread, but I heard that reddit did a summer of making roguelikes and they have a bunch of threads on that, so!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Converted another bunch of sprites for Dungeonmans, this time from Elminage. Genders assigned at random. :v:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7FVrpffUN40RlJKaHRraDJOQ0E

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh my. I was wondering yesterday if custom sprites for Dmans were a thing. How does one install custom sprites? Is there a website that collected/organizes them?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Extract the file I linked to C:\Users\YOUR NAME HERE\AppData\Roaming\Dungeonmans\modcontent AND GO!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

V for Vegas posted:

StrixNebulosa posted:

You might want to look in here as it's an active community of people who want to help you make a roguelike.

I mean this is also the right thread, but I heard that reddit did a summer of making roguelikes and they have a bunch of threads on that, so!

Last winter there was an event right here in this thread where some folks went off to learn how to roguelike. Some of them are still at it, and we have a discord for talkin' 'bout roguelike making:

https://discord.gg/ny4mdw

It's not hyper super active but it is totally live. Also, yesterday on Twitch I used the first 90 minutes or so to help someone in there understand step 4 of the Unity roguelike tutorial.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/2d-roguelike-tutorial

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is the unity roguelike tutorial a good starting point? I've read some criticisms of it.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

madjackmcmad posted:

Last winter there was an event right here in this thread where some folks went off to learn how to roguelike. Some of them are still at it, and we have a discord for talkin' 'bout roguelike making:

https://discord.gg/ny4mdw

It's not hyper super active but it is totally live. Also, yesterday on Twitch I used the first 90 minutes or so to help someone in there understand step 4 of the Unity roguelike tutorial.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/2d-roguelike-tutorial

I'm that someone, and madjack is an awesome dude. I've also gotten some help from Unormal on other stuff. Goondevs best devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Is the unity roguelike tutorial a good starting point? I've read some criticisms of it.

It does seem to totally ignore/bypass one of the most important rules of proc-gen: ensuring there's always a possible path to the exit. It gets around this by literally not bothering to generate walls around a large radius outside of the level, so if you get stuck with a bad draw you can always walk around the drat level. :P it's quite possibly the laziest solution I've ever seen. Other than that, it's pretty good at teaching the basics of turn based roguelike mechanics.