Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
How long until these mass sinkings reach mainland papers in america?

Edit: update on prior page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Good to see the Kido Butai getting Jills, as well. Maybe you can prioritize production for them, so the next port rotation can fill out the other squadrons? I'd imagine the range increase is significant.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grey Hunter posted:

We drive off another sub. Our subs are firing above the enemy depth.

Can you invite some American congressmen to come tour the front somehow?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
War in the West is now out on Steam.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mycroft Holmes posted:

War in the West is now out on Steam.

Time to start my MEGA LP and combine WitW and WitP :getin:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Donkringel posted:

How long until these mass sinkings reach mainland papers in america?

Edit: update on prior page.

By now, political cartoons depict the entire Pacific Ocean as a gigantic gaping maw swallowing American conscripts.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
WitE + WitW + WiNA = The ultimate GH LP

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

4 August 1943

Italian torpedo-boat Lince, stranded in the Gulf of Taranto and torpedoed by British submarine Urge (on the 28th) before salvage could begin.
Italian torpedo-boat Pallade, fatally damaged at Naples by USAAF air raid.

5 August 1943

Italian corvette Gazzella, sank rapidly after striking a mine off Sardinia.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The Rangoon airfield is hit once more. We are powerless to stop them annoyingly. Maybe when we have a few more planes.

Bad weather limits this strike.

Could this be our carrier friend again? I'll move the Kido Butai south to have a look.

And down she goes!

Lets see if we can kill a carrier!

A tanker makes for a okay day, if down on yesterday.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 5, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
good god in heaven

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Hey Grey, you are missing 4th of August.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This is right outside Rabaul. They are going to suicide more ships again.

We continue our fruitless search for the Sealion.

Ow! That loving hurts! 11,000 casualties and we don't even crack a layer of forts?

Welp, thats the end of any chance to take Nameou!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
reposting my "dear god in heaven" in response to Noumea now that the posts have been rearranged

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Jesus Christ, Grey

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Ow! That loving hurts! 11,000 casualties and we don't even crack a layer of forts?

Welp, thats the end of any chance to take Nameou!

No, it isn't. You have an opportunity to take Noumea.

SHELL THE PLACE FOR WEEKS GRAY HUNTER THIS IS WHAT BOMBARDMENT IS FOR IT GIVES THEM A DISRUPTION PENALTY

like how is it I've never owned or played this game and I understand this while you don't

not tryna be rude just... come on, man

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
This is what happens when you don't shock attack!

blueshifting
Sep 27, 2015
College Slice

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

This is what happens when you don't shock attack!

Shock attack wouldn't have worked, Grey only had 700 some adjusted AV, while the allies had over 2,000. Shock attacking doubles the attacker's adjusted AV, so Grey would still have not had 1:1 odds in the attack.

As others have said, the way for Grey to take Noumea is to disrupt and weaken the defenders, which will lower their effective AV.

He can do that through constant naval bombardment and bombing. In this stage of the war, Grey should be able to field hundreds of Betties and Sallys for this bombing campaign. For naval bombardment, you can have a constant rotation of 2-3 battleship groups going on bombardment missions that leave from the nearest level 7 port (probably Rabaul).

As others have pointed out, for someone who has played this game more than 95% people in this thread, Grey is really, really bad at it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Zeroisanumber posted:

WitE + WitW + WiNA = The ultimate GH LP

Man I wanna see a Grey WitW LP, but I wouldn't wish that game's loving awful air system on anyone.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I think we should keep flooding infantry units onto a small worthless island in hopes of gaining absolutely nothing.

:cripes:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
J rations back on the menu, boys.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Also, since it's the last base at the end of an island, trash the place with naval bombardment and bombs so the allies have to use their supplies fixing it, and don't let any more supply inn by blockading the port as best you can. Likely by turning Koumac into the world's largest unsinkable carrier.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

The Rangoon airfield is hit once more. We are powerless to stop them annoyingly. Maybe when we have a few more planes.

Bad weather limits this strike.

Could this be our carrier friend again? I'll move the Kido Butai south to have a look.

And down she goes!

Lets see if we can kill a carrier!

A tanker makes for a okay day, if down on yesterday.

Please give me the tanker l p st Clair as lucky ship number 4.

I have a good feeling about this one! 🙃🙃🙃

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

No, it isn't. You have an opportunity to take Noumea.

SHELL THE PLACE FOR WEEKS GRAY HUNTER THIS IS WHAT BOMBARDMENT IS FOR IT GIVES THEM A DISRUPTION PENALTY

like how is it I've never owned or played this game and I understand this while you don't

not tryna be rude just... come on, man

This would be a good plan if only GH had air superiority unfortunately he doesn't and any battleships sent to bombard would face a very likely possibility of being sunk and GH can't afford to lose those battleships.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

New plan: save Noumea for last, even after San Francisco.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
If Grey had followed the bold plan advocated by myself and other posters after the end of major China operations, which was a surprise attack on the Soviet Union, we wouldn't be in this mess!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

blueshifting posted:

).

As others have pointed out, for someone who has played this game more than 95% people in this thread, Grey is really, really bad at it.

That's the fun part of reading the thread!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

koolkevz666 posted:

This would be a good plan if only GH had air superiority unfortunately he doesn't and any battleships sent to bombard would face a very likely possibility of being sunk and GH can't afford to lose those battleships.

The army can shell Noumea like he did for 2 days except do it for 2 months instead. Air/naval bombardment would be better, but he's got a huge pile of troops there and after all the effort and fuel spent putting them it's just a gigantic waste to just plow them in after a mere two days of mortar work.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ron Jeremy posted:

That's the fun part of reading the thread!

After years of watching Grey Hunter make really basic mistakes in a game he's been playing forever it kinda of gets old, though.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

RZApublican posted:

After years of watching Grey Hunter make really basic mistakes in a game he's been playing forever it kinda of gets old, though.

Having an 18knot cruiser attached to a 30knot carrier group will never stop being entertaining.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

whitewhale posted:

Having an 18knot cruiser attached to a 30knot carrier group will never stop being entertaining.

That was for transit only! I never sent them out into combat like that!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I have to sally my battleships to get that invasion force, but it's worth it.

The remaining ships slip past our forces and begin landing troops! This is ballsy!

Another plane lost.

Our carriers continue their work. We get our second troop convoy of the day.

Then a third! This is going to be a lot of letters home today.

These are just cargo ships by the look of things.

We return to bombardments, but we lost 1,000 AV yesterday, and barely scratched them.

We had a good day, but no carrier!

I deem this acceptable.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Grey Hunter posted:

The remaining ships slip past our forces and begin landing troops! This is ballsy!

"We have a scheduled and we're keeping to it dammit!"

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

The army can shell Noumea like he did for 2 days except do it for 2 months instead. Air/naval bombardment would be better, but he's got a huge pile of troops there and after all the effort and fuel spent putting them it's just a gigantic waste to just plow them in after a mere two days of mortar work.

I could be wrong but looking at grey's last update he has 99 guns firing in bombardment while the allies have over 900 doesn't this mean in about 2 months of bombardment grey would have done negligible disruption and damage whilst having most if not all of his guns destroyed/disabled.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So the Allies have Rabaul while the Japanese have Noumea as their quagmires. At least the Japanese have troops in their quagmire so they're doing better?

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

koolkevz666 posted:

I could be wrong but looking at grey's last update he has 99 guns firing in bombardment while the allies have over 900 doesn't this mean in about 2 months of bombardment grey would have done negligible disruption and damage whilst having most if not all of his guns destroyed/disabled.

If you compare the 6th to the 5th August, seems to me that Grey has many more guns, but for some reason he has only committed 1/10 of his troops into the bombardment.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Probably something to do with level 5 forts, or something. Anyway my impression is that infantry guns will replenish if the troops are in supply, since I don't think they're really individually tracked by the game? So like, the type of unit determines how many guns it has normally, and supply allows the unit to replenish used ammo etc., as well as recover disabled squads.

Also since Grey has a buffer, it looks like he had already decided to return to ground combat bombardment before I started yelling like a jerk! Hopefully he sticks with it for a while. It's annoying that the combat report doesn't give any indication of whether/how much the enemy is being disrupted, but disruption is the most important effect and I've seen in other WitP LPs, other players use it far more than Grey does.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

Probably something to do with level 5 forts, or something. Anyway my impression is that infantry guns will replenish if the troops are in supply, since I don't think they're really individually tracked by the game? So like, the type of unit determines how many guns it has normally, and supply allows the unit to replenish used ammo etc., as well as recover disabled squads.

Also since Grey has a buffer, it looks like he had already decided to return to ground combat bombardment before I started yelling like a jerk! Hopefully he sticks with it for a while. It's annoying that the combat report doesn't give any indication of whether/how much the enemy is being disrupted, but disruption is the most important effect and I've seen in other WitP LPs, other players use it far more than Grey does.

Yes, they are tracked. No, there's no ammo tracking.

blueshifting
Sep 27, 2015
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

Hopefully he sticks with it for a while. It's annoying that the combat report doesn't give any indication of whether/how much the enemy is being disrupted, but disruption is the most important effect and I've seen in other WitP LPs, other players use it far more than Grey does.

High enemy disruption will show up as a negative effect on the combat report, but it has to get pretty high before it does so.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

6 August 1943

Japanese destroyers Arashi, Hagikaze, and Kawakaze, torpedoed by US destroyers just east of Vella Lavella shortly before midnight, sinking by about 0010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yes, they are tracked. No, there's no ammo tracking.

They're listed there, but you don't have to build them in your industry, assign them to divisions, load them onto ships, etc. right? It just adds them to units as appropriate, takes them out during combat, and then you get more when your unit is in supply?

Otherwise how do you replenish lost guns?