Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

da beeper king BABY posted:

You have a dim view of friendship

sorry I forgot friendship meant defending your buddy no matter what even if he's clearly a serial sexual harasser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I mean, this is just what people have publicly shared. Who knows what Chris Grant/Ben/Kessler have seen that caused their reactions.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Nick's Friends Immediately Severed All Ties is a weird fiction people keep repeating in this thread.

Neither Justin, Griffin, Ben, or Matt has actually said anything specifically about Nick other than being shocked, angry, or sad about the situation and reiterating their regret if they contributed to an environment where people feel they can't come forward with these things.

actually, yeah, in fact:

https://twitter.com/PackBenPack/status/893573721222389760

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also, yes the stuff we seen so far isn't the grossest and most gently caress up poo poo ever (its still weird and creepy) but that doesn't make this all suddenly ok

the problem here is this is a pattern of behavior that Nick has apparently done to a ton of women in the industry and that is own position let him be this creep. like what is the exact line for you people to be like "yeah this is creepy"

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 5, 2017

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Sorry, can you highlight the part of this tweet where he publicly denounces Nick or Cut All Ties?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Even if this is the worst of it I wouldn't really want to be friends with someone who does this and certainly not professionally associated wiith them lol

When podcasts / Youtube content is as personality driven as it is, would you really want the personality you're attached to be The Thirsfty Guy

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/alolanmeowth/status/893887369434116096

nick putting a lot of effort into being a weirdo lmao

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Sorry, can you highlight the part of this tweet where he publicly denounces Nick or Cut All Ties?

no I was saying I was slightly wrong/agreeing with you and showing that at least Ben's left forgiveness as an option

sorry should have been clearer

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

no I was saying I was slightly wrong/agreeing with you and showing that at least Ben's left forgiveness as an option

sorry should have been clearer

My bad

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
May I remind you guys that send nudes literally became a meme lol

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Send nudes via magic eye is kinda funny let's be real.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think we need an age check in the thread. Lots of olds in here it seems

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Thirfstylonian

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The REAL Goobusters posted:

it's definitely a meme that's made the front page of reddit several times

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It was almost certainly just taken directly from Reddit. Elaborate gifs and poo poo that end in SEND NUDES is a dumb and common meme. Not that he wasn't very deliberately "kidding on the square"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I did forget about Ben and Kessler. That was pretty damning. Still, saying that all of Nick's friends have disowned him is a definite exaggeration, and I'm not so sure that his career is over. This is always going to be hanging over him for sure, but most people seem to be waiting to see what the people who are really in the know have to say.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Bogart posted:

Send nudes via magic eye is kinda funny let's be real.

In context it's not really
https://twitter.com/AlolanMeowth/status/893921380927799296

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

as i cut my victim's throat i whispered "cake is a lie" and they knew i was ironic

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

I currently have an oil pastel portrait of Nick Robinson I got my mom to draw as a Christmas present for my friend as a joke and now I don't know what to do with it.

Just paint

thrifty
thrifsty
thirfsty
thirsty

over it in red.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

His job is one where he's publicly engaging an audience on behalf of a larger group, he's not some behind the scenes tech guy, he's a public figure. It's something our generation struggles with because a lot of positions that weren't under constant public scrutiny and amassing large audiences suddenly are (nobody was hounding the Rocko's Modern Life storyboard team like they do with cartoons now). You kinda forfeit the right to send horny texts, like it or not

That's without getting into leveraging said internet fame / position over women

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The context doesn't really matter in this case since he just sent a dumb send nudes meme.

Also I'm the bearded guy asking for context lmaooooo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

nerdbot posted:

His job is one where he's publicly engaging an audience on behalf of a larger group, he's not some behind the scenes tech guy, he's a public figure. It's something our generation struggles with because a lot of positions that weren't under constant public scrutiny and amassing large audiences suddenly are (nobody was hounding the Rocko's Modern Life storyboard team like they do with cartoons now). You kinda forfeit the right to send horny texts, like it or not

That's without getting into leveraging said internet fame / position over women

Wait what lol

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Blockhouse posted:

sorry I forgot friendship meant defending your buddy no matter what even if he's clearly a serial sexual harasser

by what definition is anything that's surfaced thus far sexual harassment?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think it's less that Nick sent some weird awkward flirting like a loving goober, but that this is apparently a pattern of behaviour for him.

It's not a crime to misread signals or to be bad at flirting, but if this is your standard way to treat women when speaking to them in private, that's indicative of some troubling views.

I don't have any proof he treats all or most women like this, but that was definitely the impression of the earlier tweets that it was an open secret among women in the industry.

I don't think any of this is beyond redemption, for Nick as a person or even for him in his current career (although I do think Polygon is going to make an example out of him to protect their brand), but he has to throw himself on the mercy of the internet and commit to not being a dumb idiot anymore.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Ending podburglers, a podcast that no one cares about and no one would notice if it never updated again, definitely seems like cutting personal ties and salting the earth to me considering that it probably won't come back even if he apologizes. Even Kessler, whose job isn't public facing and doesn't have any professional relationship with Nick, denounced him

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Believe it or not, you can be Mad At Your Friend for Doing Bad Things and still be friends on the other side of the finish line.

There's ways of handling friends with bad behavior other than severing.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

da beeper king BABY posted:

Ending podburglers, a podcast that no one cares about and no one would notice if it never updated again, definitely seems like cutting personal ties and salting the earth to me considering that it probably won't come back even if he apologizes. Even Kessler, whose job isn't public facing and doesn't have any professional relationship with Nick, denounced him

What do you think the word "denounce" means?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Using memes like that to have a veneer of plausible deniability is actually somewhat more insidious, so you can back it and say "Oh I was just kidding! Just a joke!" if it doesn't go well for you

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Pretty funny that his friends severed over this poo poo lol

Yeah mother fucker we all saw when you made this post the first 100 times

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh you mean the racers who got turned into a tree and Kravitz being imperiled in the darkness?

I never got the impression Kravitz was dead, does one couple being merged into a tree-being count as a trope?

It's kind of a frustrating cliche/trope as a writer because it means you can't really have a storyline wherein a character who is gay has their loved one die or something similar without being accused of doing this for the sake of doing it.

On the other hand, it's extra kind of bullshit when most of the time there's a gay couple in a series at least one of them gets offed to make it extra sad and dramatic.

It's something I'd say usually would weigh in more on the quality of the story and the writer before accusations of using poo poo stereotypes and tropes are leveled at someone but having been on the internet for so long I know that would never actually happen.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Using memes like that to have a veneer of plausible deniability is actually somewhat more insidious, so you can back it and say "Oh I was just kidding! Just a joke!" if it doesn't go well for you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flirting

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

yeah actually they will posted:

Yeah mother fucker we all saw when you made this post the first 100 times

Yeah and guess what

Gonna make it again!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i can't believe my friends were not cool with the fact that I repeatedly asked women in the same industry we work for nudes in ways that made them feel very uncomfortable

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

where is the section for misspelling thirsty in this article

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Someone more committed to the joke than me please edit that in

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

To put this in sports broadcasting terms, this looks more like a Steve Phillips situation than a Marv Albert situation. This is, of course, assuming that what's been released is indicative of the worst of Nick's actions.

It's still not acceptable to attempt sexual relationships with people you could only contact because of your work, especially when those people have an implicit need to not burn bridges with you and your employer in order for their business to survive. Professional relationships need to remain professional. That's why they're called that. When you proposition a work contact for sexual material or activities, you have immediately placed them in a position where they can either cut you off completely (which opens them up to reprisal), attempt to laugh it off (which means unwanted sexual advances will continue), or accept (which then makes reprisal when things go badly even worse, or creates a professional conflict of interest if things somehow don't go badly). None of these options is good for either party, but it's especially bad for the person receiving the proposition.

I'm relieved that it currently appears that Nick doesn't appear to have sexually assaulted anyone, but he has sexually harassed several people who he shouldn't have harassed, it's apparently gone on for years, and that needs to have consequences. It's not okay, no matter how young and awkward he is, or how many other nerds think they'd do the same. He made unwanted sexual advances on many colleagues and business contacts. This is a problem that his employers now need to address with those colleagues and business contacts in order to mend their professional relationships. This is not the biggest thing, but it's not a small thing, and treating it like it is just clears the playing field for more people to abuse their power and harass others.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Snooze Cruise posted:

where is the section for misspelling thirsty in this article

It's right under the section titled "gullible"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Moatman posted:

It's right under the section titled "gullible"

oh, poo poo really? let me-waitaminute

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Why wouldn't he just try to gently caress people on tindr or bumble or whatever the hot gently caress app is this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tricky Ed posted:

To put this in sports broadcasting terms, this looks more like a Steve Phillips situation than a Marv Albert situation. This is, of course, assuming that what's been released is indicative of the worst of Nick's actions.

It's still not acceptable to attempt sexual relationships with people you could only contact because of your work, especially when those people have an implicit need to not burn bridges with you and your employer in order for their business to survive. Professional relationships need to remain professional. That's why they're called that. When you proposition a work contact for sexual material or activities, you have immediately placed them in a position where they can either cut you off completely (which opens them up to reprisal), attempt to laugh it off (which means unwanted sexual advances will continue), or accept (which then makes reprisal when things go badly even worse, or creates a professional conflict of interest if things somehow don't go badly). None of these options is good for either party, but it's especially bad for the person receiving the proposition.

I'm relieved that it currently appears that Nick doesn't appear to have sexually assaulted anyone, but he has sexually harassed several people who he shouldn't have harassed, it's apparently gone on for years, and that needs to have consequences. It's not okay, no matter how young and awkward he is, or how many other nerds think they'd do the same. He made unwanted sexual advances on many colleagues and business contacts. This is a problem that his employers now need to address with those colleagues and business contacts in order to mend their professional relationships. This is not the biggest thing, but it's not a small thing, and treating it like it is just clears the playing field for more people to abuse their power and harass others.

Dad is that you