Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
You had an appointment during PT hours!?!? What a poo poo bag....

I've been lucky with all my immediate superiors but they haven't been able to insulate us from the absurd amount of poo poo that comes down on us from higher. 14 hour days are pretty normal right now...

My new PSG turned out to be really good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

Also the Army is werid:

I showed up for a dental checkup and was asked by a couple people why I was in civilians. Apparently the answer that "this is the only thing I'm doing for work today" was considered weird. People put on their uniform just to get a dental checkup, then go back home at 8 AM?!?!

when i was in the WTB i would go to formation at 7:30am and be out of uniform by 8am every single day. every appointment i went to was in civilian clothes. i never got questioned about it but i got some funny looks.

i got more poo poo for my hair being out of regs than i did for being out of uniform every day.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

You had an appointment during PT hours!?!? What a poo poo bag....

I've been lucky with all my immediate superiors but they haven't been able to insulate us from the absurd amount of poo poo that comes down on us from higher. 14 hour days are pretty normal right now...

My new PSG turned out to be really good too

I'm sure my life is about to get dumb soon, but my workday consited of calling one agency for 5 minutes, then driving into town to get a part to fix my computer and playing computer games.

Then again, I'm still waiting on household goods wtfffffffffff............

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

The people that are like "no appointments during PT hours" are loving idiots. You do realize that I'm not gonna wait a month or whatever for a slot after 9AM.

Same with haircuts. Army says I have to do it, so I'm gonna do it on their time.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Soulex posted:

The people that are like "no appointments during PT hours" are loving idiots. You do realize that I'm not gonna wait a month or whatever for a slot after 9AM.

Same with haircuts. Army says I have to do it, so I'm gonna do it on their time.

"You're a soldier 24/7!"

"Go gently caress yourself."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

I'm sure my life is about to get dumb soon

Did you just join the Army or something?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

hahaha

haha

:smith:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

"You're a soldier 24/7!"

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Soulex posted:

Really glad I was in a batallion that never gave a flying gently caress about any of this. My section would go get haircuts at the same time during duty hours, no one gave a poo poo. And appointments were almost always during PT hours. And every four day pass I ever requested was approved. And I still hated the Army. Can't imagine what it would be like to be in a stupider unit.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My company at Campbell preferred you do your appointments during PT or as early as possible so you can get back by 9am for whatever stupid poo poo had to be done that day.

If absolutely nothing had to be done that day, get back by 9am anyway to stand around until we come up with something.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

milk milk lemonade posted:

Really glad I was in a batallion that never gave a flying gently caress about any of this. My section would go get haircuts at the same time during duty hours, no one gave a poo poo. And appointments were almost always during PT hours. And every four day pass I ever requested was approved. And I still hated the Army. Can't imagine what it would be like to be in a stupider unit.

We had, at most, 6 people in formation for PT, did it by the book, and had that goddamn rule.

There is a reason I am hosed up.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
But if I'm in civilians people won't know they have to salute me

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It bugs me whenever I get called sir now. Just...don't.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Martin Shkreli convicted.

Good. gently caress 'im. gently caress 'im in the prison.

edit: wooing thread, sorry. But gently caress him anyways.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

tastefully arranged labia posted:

It bugs me whenever I get called sir now. Just...don't.

Yes, sir o7

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bell_ posted:

Martin Shkreli convicted.

Good. gently caress 'im. gently caress 'im in the prison.

edit: wooing thread, sorry. But gently caress him anyways.

Good.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Not only are we probably working through the weekend, we're working through what happens to be a 4 day for every other unit on post

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Pretty soon he's gonna be talking about the "good ol days"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I met two types of soldier last weekend. Those who were stuck at a family day post-AT and a post suicide emotional support rally.

I kinda belong to both units and we're just not fully integrated. How the gently caress did no one replan this whole loving thing?

I was there off the clock and in civvies and had my hajji beard going, had I think only one dickhead ask if AR 670-1 applies on and off duty. I wish I was clever enough to say something smart to that but drat if I didn't just laugh it off and walk away. That said:

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

"You're a soldier 24/7!"

Also gently caress suicide. gently caress the armys completely regressive and reactive strategy for mitigating the leading cause of death in soldiers.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Wasabi the J posted:

Also gently caress suicide. gently caress the armys completely regressive and reactive strategy for mitigating the leading cause of death in soldiers.

Soldier attempts suicide. Unit reaches out to higher headquarters for support and guidance. Higher responds "has the soldier completed suicide awareness?"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

McNally posted:

Soldier attempts suicide. Unit reaches out to higher headquarters for support and guidance. Higher responds "has the soldier completed suicide awareness?"

Yup.

I'm sorry man it's not a contest I wasn't even close to the guy, but watching some of these knuckle draggers pretend they gave a poo poo while spouting hypocritical bullshit about taking care of each other is infuriating. Some of them, I'm sure, are so completely at a loss to even comprehend something like empathy, though.

I am sorry. We could all stand to learn from your experience.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

No, I watched as my old CSM still mispronounced my buddies name despite being his goddamn driver for the entirety of Iraq.

People don't know how to react to suicide besides a checklist.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

McNally, far be it from me to get angry about this, because you and all the others in her life who loved her or even had a vague care for her have more skin in the game than me, but this poo poo still makes me furious, because it is SO loving EASY to respond in a way that's even remotely reasonable and empathetic and helpful, even if kind of grasping in the dark because suicide attempts or ideations are sometimes rather different.

I've been lucky, of late, to have immediate and even far removed senior leaders who didn't poke and prod in stupid ways, but helpful ways. I won't detail all of these cases because, first of all, I don't want to just inflame how pissed off it must make you that they were a bunch of excel block-check retards, and secondly if some internet detective dickhole wants to doxx me that's one thing, but I don't want to share specific stories that can lead to non-goons getting their personal/medical issues revealed. Suffice to say, I've been in units years ago that were really stupid about suicide cases, but lately I've been in units where they don't instantly turn to block-check blame-game mode, and SHOCKER, they didn't have any loving suicides or suicide attempts! Most of our most severe cases were people reaching out for help when on the cliff and then getting help and becoming stable.

I was also in a unit with multiple suicides back to loving back, and the response was.... not great, at best.

I dunno, I've had some unique positions to deal with both brand new soldiers and people nearing retirement who had issues with suicidal thoughts or attempts or the like, and it's pretty profound just how much treating people like a loving human (without also just saying "You're good, right? ok laters, beer o'clock, I'm headed home!") can lead to people actively seeking you out to talk about issues and to get help. Or simply telling you "I'm going to be missing work from x hour to x hour so many times a week, just so you know" and that's all I loving need. If the doc thinks the commander or superior NEEDS to know, they call.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Being the UMO sucks

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Being the UMO sucks

Roll of the dice. We always assigned UMO to the guy we hated the most.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

Roll of the dice. We always assigned UMO to the guy we hated the most.

:thunk:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

spacetoaster posted:

Spacetoaster I have some MP specific questions and you do not appear to have PM's available. It has to do with looking up an old MPR.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

My BDE is so anal about leaving before PT hours that until 8 o clock, there's a NCO at the exit of every parking lot in the BDE AO, taking names/units of every soldier trying to leave early for the BDE CSM. It's to the point where if we have an appointment prior to 9:30, that we just tell the soldier not to show up to first formation.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
...what.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Welcome to the Army you dumbass haha

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

Kaliber posted:

My BDE is so anal about leaving before PT hours that until 8 o clock, there's a NCO at the exit of every parking lot in the BDE AO, taking names/units of every soldier trying to leave early for the BDE CSM. It's to the point where if we have an appointment prior to 9:30, that we just tell the soldier not to show up to first formation.

One of my happiest moments in the Army was some butter bar stopping me while I was driving out of the parking lot during PT hours. I was with my platoon sergeant and we had just zonked our platoon (with my commander's permission) because we were the only unit who finished some dumb maintenance tasks on time. This loving dork had the audacity to walk in front of my car and hold his arm out like a crossing guard then walk around to the driver's side. He asked for my unit info and name, and after going back and forth a few times my overtired brain just snapped and I yelled "suck my dick human being" and sped off while my PSG was cracking up in the passenger seat welp that's my PT story thanks.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

TheAlphaChaser posted:

One of my happiest moments in the Army was some butter bar stopping me while I was driving out of the parking lot during PT hours. I was with my platoon sergeant and we had just zonked our platoon (with my commander's permission) because we were the only unit who finished some dumb maintenance tasks on time. This loving dork had the audacity to walk in front of my car and hold his arm out like a crossing guard then walk around to the driver's side. He asked for my unit info and name, and after going back and forth a few times my overtired brain just snapped and I yelled "suck my dick human being" and sped off while my PSG was cracking up in the passenger seat welp that's my PT story thanks.

:patriot:

I mean that with zero sarcasm.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
If you never poo poo on a butterbars soul as an enlisted You hosed Up

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

It's summadat grunt poo poo you want to do. Eat poo poo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We were doing a team life fire and our fresh butter bar LT asked me why I, the team leader, was walking on the road to scan for mock IEDs while the other three three guys were wedged on both sides of the road and I said "because the road is elevated [like five feet] and I wouldn't be able to see anything if I wasn't." He told me how dumb it was because "that's not how they taught it in ranger school."

I told him to gently caress off.

My PSG didn't like me telling my LT to gently caress off.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Kaliber posted:

QFT, also owned

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kaliber posted:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

we had one cool butterbar

we called him lt money bc he was money

he gave less of a poo poo than anyone else bc he understood that this was national guard

he also would buy us shots when we ran into him at the bar outside fort devens. either deepthroats or buttery nipples.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I had a butterbar get super upset after I pointed out we have trucks in Afghanistan and we won't be running everywhere when he tried to motivate us to keep running during PT by saying poo poo like, "When we're in Afghanistan and have to go an extra mile we won't be able to just quit!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I don't know why a butter bar would give a single poo poo about anything anyone else is doing. Even now if I saw some random dude running around butt naked screaming about how much he hates the army I would just be like "well, that's odd" and continue walking to my office. The CSM and 1SG's can worry about that poo poo.

Whether they're NCO's or officers, the tryhard pieces of poo poo are the worst people in the army. The guys that are afraid of so much as a mild slap on the wrist because oh my god, what if it effects my OER/NCOER?!?!?! Unless someone is killed or maimed, you will be forgiven.