Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Kotaku did their retrospective on FF7:

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii-retrospective-the-weirdest-rpg-ever-1797547869

I personally like the observation that 6 is a game with goofy characters put into a serious situation, 7 is a game with serious characters put into goofy situations. I never realized how silly it was to run into Hojo on the beach and tells you he won't fight cause he's too busy getting a tan. And fighting Jenova Life after Aeris dying while her theme continues to play is still one of the spookiest things I've seen in an FF game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
THAT was the point? Not the cross-dressing or implied sex-slave-rape?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

If they don't keep the part where Aerith threatens to rip Don Corneo's balls off the entire remake is dead to me

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
If they call Aeris Aerith the remake is dead to me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
same but if they call aerith aeris

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I heard his real name is Leno.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Well you see Aerith's name was actually mistyped by a lazy programmer and her real name has been Aero all along

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Finally we get Claude and Alice

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

OneDeadman posted:

Well you see Aerith's name was actually mistyped by a lazy programmer and her real name has been Aero all along

well if she's aero 1 then who's aero 2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

well if she's aero 1 then who's aero 2

auron

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ya know, I never finished FFIV DS on Steam but I really enjoyed the thought bubbles you get for the characters. It's a nice touch to try and compromise for the lack of dialogue. It keeps you invested in the characters, even if there isn't a lot of cutscenes or banter or whatever.

Oddly, FFXII could have used this. It had the technology to have our heroes speak more but they just...didn't so thought bubbles be nice. The lack of dialogue is rather noticeable given XII is sandwiched between X and XIII, both games with a very actively vocal party.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Ya know, I never finished FFIV DS on Steam but I really enjoyed the thought bubbles you get for the characters. It's a nice touch to try and compromise for the lack of dialogue. It keeps you invested in the characters, even if there isn't a lot of cutscenes or banter or whatever.

Yeah, this is neat. If you ever get around to trying Dragon Quest (since I remember you talking about trying it), DQ does this x 10000. If you talk to any person in any town, every character in your party will have an updated thought about it. Same for every time you go to a new area, a new floor of any area even. Thought you might be interested if you like this.

XII could have used something. It felt like just a random group of guys that you don't even know if they liked being with other or what they thought about each other. This is another place where XV is superior. The cast of XV had great chemistry and was always interacting. It made doing anything in the game more fun.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Oddly, FFXII could have used this. It had the technology to have our heroes speak more but they just...didn't so thought bubbles be nice. The lack of dialogue is rather noticeable given XII is sandwiched between X and XIII, both games with a very actively vocal party.

thought bubbles work better for a lo fidelity 3ds game then a more realistic HD game for reasons i really really hope are obvious

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Notcis: .oO(I'm hungry. And sleepy. And boy do I hate Mondays.)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Where does Noctis fall on the FF protag tier list

I would rate him a solid Cecil out of Squall

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

thought bubbles work better for a lo fidelity 3ds game then a more realistic HD game for reasons i really really hope are obvious

Of course but it's a handy tool for communicating the characters to the player without actual dialogue. I just got done playing FFVI and Shadow's dream sequences being the source of his backstory was pretty intriguing. Thought bubbles or maybe a journal or something to that effect can be how they help us get in the head of the characters even when those characters don't open up to the other people around them.

Alternatively, I was just connecting a random thought (praise for IV DS) with another random thought(how to improve XII's party).

some guy on the bus posted:

Yeah, this is neat. If you ever get around to trying Dragon Quest (since I remember you talking about trying it), DQ does this x 10000. If you talk to any person in any town, every character in your party will have an updated thought about it. Same for every time you go to a new area, a new floor of any area even. Thought you might be interested if you like this.

That is pretty cool and I'm in a retro mood as of right now. Been thinking about playing FF1 NES in celebration of the 30th anniversary of FF, a series I love so dearly yet have never once played the thing that started it all.

Dragon Quest would go nicely with my old school kick.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Play trails in the sky instead if you want every npc with updated text after every single tiny event

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Ahh, classic Kytes.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

That is pretty cool and I'm in a retro mood as of right now. Been thinking about playing FF1 NES in celebration of the 30th anniversary of FF, a series I love so dearly yet have never once played the thing that started it all.

Dragon Quest would go nicely with my old school kick.

This getting the thoughts of your party members is only in DQs after DQ3 though. And it's only in DQ4 for iOS. (I recommend this version. For the 3DS version of 4, party talk just lazily didn't get transferred over) In DQ 1-3, your characters don't talk or think just like in Final Fantasy 1.

Tae posted:

Play trails in the sky instead if you want every npc with updated text after every single tiny event

Yet there's very little interaction between the characters and NPCs, from what I've seen with 20 hours of FC. I was disappointed. I had heard comparisons to Lunar. In Lunar, your characters responded and had banter with everyone.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

And it's only in DQ4 for iOS.

And Android, which is identical.

the 3DS version of 4

DS

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Where does Noctis fall on the FF protag tier list

I would rate him a solid Cecil out of Squall

He's no Cloud, but he's way better than Lightning at least.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I just wrapped up Pharos, and I actually thought it was kind of fun? Definitely not the slog I was expecting. And holy wasn't too bad to get to!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

He's no Cloud, but he's way better than Lightning at least.

Claire "I Love Steak" Lightning is pretty amazing in her final game but otherwise is p bland, yeah.

FFXV has a great cast who are wasted on a terrible plot. I even love the ridiculous antagonist whose plan literally is just to make Noctis real mad and beat him up. Dude doesn't want to rule the world or anything, he's just a huge dick who likes to have fun and wear fedoras

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I played the FFXV MP beta and it might have some potential! Magic spells can be used even if you have four weapons equipped, and the Monster Hunter - lite gameplay can be fun with other players. The character creation tool has some nice detailed options, like stomach size. It have me flashbacks to Dragon's Dogma. And had some honest-to-god professional-looking tats.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
To be fair, he has the most reason out of anybody in the cast to be a dick.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

corn in the bible posted:

FFXV has a great cast who are wasted on a terrible plot. I even love the ridiculous antagonist whose plan literally is just to make Noctis real mad and beat him up. Dude doesn't want to rule the world or anything, he's just a huge dick who likes to have fun and wear fedoras

He's one of the best characters in the series on voice acting alone.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Renoistic posted:

I played the FFXV MP beta and it might have some potential! Magic spells can be used even if you have four weapons equipped, and the Monster Hunter - lite gameplay can be fun with other players. The character creation tool has some nice detailed options, like stomach size. It have me flashbacks to Dragon's Dogma. And had some honest-to-god professional-looking tats.

I enjoyed it and think the combat tweaks are an improvement over the base game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Lightning owns because she punched Snow. Twice. Hard. And gently caress Snow. Worst FF character ever.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
But he's one fourth of the best ending in FFXIII-2: Lightning Does Not Return In This One.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I don't think I'll ever play 13-2 or LR. I legit liked 13 and had high hopes for 13-2 but then I played the demo for an hour and it was loving awful. Then I read the plot synopses for 13-2 and LR and I was haha naw.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've gone back-and-forth on which is technically a better game between XIII and XIII-2 but when it comes right down it, I only actually had fun playing XIII-2. Whatever flaws it might have in terms of story structure or character development, I'd still simply just rather play that goofy game that lets me do things besides fight monsters Also it has Caius and no Lightning, which is a definite plus for me.

If the game had more Snow, it be absolutely my favorite.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I'd like to play XIII-2 and LR but ever since I installed the Windows Creators update none of the games in the XIII trilogy will work. :mad:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Noctone posted:

I'd like to play XIII-2 and LR but ever since I installed the Windows Creators update none of the games in the XIII trilogy will work. :mad:

:pcgaming:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Farming for Nihopalao is worth it on every playthrough. I wonder if this monster has a particular weakness? Oh well, let's try weaponized small pox just to be safe

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm playing Final Fantasy II, US FFII that is. Actually a romhack of the game called The Darkness Within. It's pretty fun so far but I'm mainly posting to comment on comparing this to FFVI in terms of technical performance. It really is night and day and I can't believe thee two things wer eon the same console. FFVI felt like it pushed the limits while this feels...I dunno, maybe one step removed from a NES game? Then again, I intend to play FF1NES after this so perhaps I'll wind up looking at this with admiration for its feats of technological innovation.

Mostly it's items and equipment that is blowing my mind. Can only buy items in 1's or 10's ad if I only want to buy 3 Tents they fill up 3 inventory slots. Limited inventory is another crazy thing for me in an FF game. I played FFIV Advance and I remember Fat Chocobo but I don't remember ever storing items with him. Also the equipment has no real descriptions or whatever in game. Dunno if that's a product of the hack (which comes with a chart detailing equipment stats and effects) or not. I seem to recall the whole "arrows showing you how purchased equipment relates to current equipment" was an innovation at some point and maybe wasn't present in these older games?

The text limit is also so strange to me. They can't call it Gold Armor, just "Gold" and have an armor icon next to it.

It's all very retro and archaic and a decent novelty for someone who started with FFVII and has only played rereleases of the older games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

The text limit is also so strange to me. They can't call it Gold Armor, just "Gold" and have an armor icon next to it.

where ff6 pushed the limits of what you could fit on a cart, ff4 pushed the limits of what squaresoft had the knowledge to be capable of producing at that time. plus, afaik carts with less memory were cheaper both for the dev and the consumer. you know about phantasy star iv right? big game, pushed the limits of the genesis, had this problem where the physical production costs were so high that it was like 150% the price of most other sega games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

where ff6 pushed the limits of what you could fit on a cart, ff4 pushed the limits of what squaresoft had the knowledge to be capable of producing at that time. plus, afaik carts with less memory were cheaper both for the dev and the consumer. you know about phantasy star iv right? big game, pushed the limits of the genesis, had this problem where the physical production costs were so high that it was like 150% the price of most other sega games

I swear I just read something recently where Sega of America found a work around and Sega Japan demanded they charge more and use the more expensive cart, possibly in a bid to shut up Sega of America which was pushing for more RPGs.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Lord help me I think I'm going to try and get a platinum for FFXII. I'm so close, I might as well just beat trial mode and also fully explore the worldmap. Completing the bestiary is what's gonna be awful because you need to hunt down each and every rare game, but I already got 30 of them so I could get the zodiac spear.

I'm going to try and farm the ultimate katana for Ashe and ultimate pole for Penelo but man farming these mats is a pain. Getting the Hell flames or whatever from cerberuses sucks rear end. And I wish I didn't sell all my mats that I had before.

I'm probably not going to bother with the Tournesol because I managed to steal a Wyrmhero's blade in trial mode, plus actually getting all the materials to craft it looks like a giant loving nightmare.

Also hilariously \ disturbingly when you do google searches for the zodiac age, you wind up with a lot of pages about the zodiac killer lol

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Even worse is trying to find specific info that's not necessarily well documented and changes depending which version you are playing: the original, IZJS or n

Also ever since I found berserker gloves for Basch he's been nothing more than uncontrollable killbot

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
FF Protagonist tier list:

S-tier:
Cloud - successfully "fakes it till he makes it", will do anything to get the job done including crossdressing
Zidane - he will be your friend
Tidus/Yuna - goes all in to kill sin knowing it'll end his life, and Yuna changes careers to save him, good crew

A tier:
Lightning - idk she seems cool
Cecil - literally expels his demons, but dark Knight was kind of cool

B tier:
Terra - she just wants to know what love is, guys
Bartz - the right guy for the job
Firion - bad game mechanics aside, he was the first protagonist to successfully punch God in the face, he's also the original Noct and is good with all weapons
Noct - good with weapons, and the guy just wants to chill and fish

C tier:
Onion Knight - cute, but ultimately worthless unless you break the game
Warrior of Light - he's not even a real character, SE had to make him up to fill out the dissidia roster
Squall - ...whatever...
Vaan - is he even the protagonist of 12?