Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Have they said anything about a 2-player mode in Sonic Mania? How sick would it be if there was an online 2-player mode... :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i liked swinging around as the werehog but the combat was not very good and it took a long time to kill enemies, especially in the later levels

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

Have they said anything about a 2-player mode in Sonic Mania? How sick would it be if there was an online 2-player mode... :swoon:

could swear i heard something about being able to control tails as in 3&k could be hallucinating things because of my MANIA

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What sonic games are you guys playing this weekend?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I really hope Sega goes full synergy and Studiopolis ends up as a zone in Forces, as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The werehog levels go by much faster and are far more fun once you've levelled up a lot and can smash through the hordes in no time. If it took ten times less effort to get fully levelled then they'd be so much better, and coincidentally one of the DLC packs lets you do just that.

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm replaying a Sonic 1 mod called Sonic Erazor, which is absolutely nuts but pretty solidly done and worth a go. I mostly remember the run up to the final boss having awesome music, and skipping an entire level in a way the maker clearly didn't realise could be done and barely made sense to me while I was doing it.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 6, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

beep by grandpa posted:

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

I just picked up Crash N-Sane Trilogy and it's really enforcing that Sonic is the one true 90s mascot character.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
crash 2 is a fantastic platformer

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

I think the official name of the Chaotix one is Metal Sonic Kai.

That's actually not official. It's a fan name that started with the Japanese fandom. The only official name for him is the name of the level he appears in.

Archie dubbed it "Titan Metal Sonic" though, but that's Archie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
We must always keep what is and isn't a fan nickname in mind, lest we forget Nazo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's actually not official. It's a fan name that started with the Japanese fandom. The only official name for him is the name of the level he appears in.

Archie dubbed it "Titan Metal Sonic" though, but that's Archie.

the word titan in the context of sonic only brings back memories of a hilarious buff Tails fighting some loving elephant or something

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

We must always keep what is and isn't a fan nickname in mind, lest we forget Nazo

lol those were good rear end retarded times

btw, wechnia

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Buff Titan Tails is still my favorite part of sonic comics history.

he defeats the villain with his rear end.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Big Scary Owl posted:

Offline coop and competition mode I believe
It's on the steam page

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

he defeats the villain with his rear end.

why would you do this to me

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... Yeah, that's a huge stretch guys. They picked the name because the robot is big. C'mon.

CJacobs posted:

The thing is, that wasn't pulled completely out of thin air. When the first trailer for Sonic X came out, there was no indication who or what that thing was, and both official screenshots and internal production stuff referred to it as "Nazo", which is Japanese for mystery. Of course, since that trailer never ended up having anything to do with the show. what their plans for him or who he was never came to light and were scapped,

"Nazo" both is and isn't what his "name" is; that's all he's ever been referred to officially, but it's also not a name, it's just a description of this character we know nothing about, and never will.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CJacobs posted:

Titan Tails as portrayed by Sonic Mania artist, Tyson Hesse:

http://tysonhesse.tumblr.com/post/146680691770/some-sonic-sketches-ive-put-up-on-twitter-over

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Please do not post big tails.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Please do not post big tails.

im begging you all

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TFRazorsaw posted:

... Yeah, that's a huge stretch guys. They picked the name because the robot is big. C'mon.

The thing is, that wasn't pulled completely out of thin air. When the first trailer for Sonic X came out, there was no indication who or what that thing was, and both official screenshots and internal production stuff referred to it as "Nazo", which is Japanese for mystery. Of course, since that trailer never ended up having anything to do with the show. what their plans for him or who he was never came to light and were scapped,

"Nazo" both is and isn't what his "name" is; that's all he's ever been referred to officially, but it's also not a name, it's just a description of this character we know nothing about, and never will.

Wait that isn't just some MSpaint edit.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Don't stop I'm so close.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TFRazorsaw posted:

The name, adopted by fans, comes from a single promo screenshot where the filename was nazo.jpg, it's just an alt super sonic

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
...say, has anyone seen Rouge and Infinite in the same room?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Discendo Vox posted:

...say, has anyone seen Rouge and Infinite in the same room?

I'm pretty sure Infinite is one of these dudes

Speaking of which, according to the sonic wiki they showed back up after like 20 years of absence from the comics and were locked in a battle with the alien enemies from Shadow the Hedgehog. So that's how the tentacle brains are occupying their time these days I guess.

Shadow the Hedgehog is canon btw. There's no ignoring its existence. It's here to stay.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Got ahold of a VHS copy of the Sonic OVA in preparation for Mania.

Never knew it started with an ad for Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArfJason posted:

why would you do this to me

welcome to the Sonic thread

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

CJacobs posted:

The name, adopted by fans, comes from a single promo screenshot where the filename was nazo.jpg, it's just an alt super sonic

You know, if I were Iizuka and had to put up with that poo poo I would absolutely want to gently caress those fans over. We deserved Shadow.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Friends, 10 more days till Mania

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I get happy every time I think about Sonic Mania. It's been a great year

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Mikedawson posted:

Got ahold of a VHS copy of the Sonic OVA in preparation for Mania.

Never knew it started with an ad for Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water.

I have this and I remember that ad being super loud whenever I started it...it's a white vhs tape

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Friends, 10 more days till Mania

I started doing a Sonic 12 days of Christmas on Twitter in anticipation. Inspired by Void Burger after she said she was too lazy to do one herself.

https://twitter.com/Nixferatu_NH/status/893339990322696192

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My Sonic mania shirt has shipped...I'm ready for the big day.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I'd never seen this before. Did someone really just have a chat session with Iizuka? I'm also surprised his English is that good.

That still begs the question of why Super Sonic looks so different and why they labeled a screenshot of him a "mystery", but production be weird I guess.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'd never seen this before. Did someone really just have a chat session with Iizuka? I'm also surprised his English is that good.

That still begs the question of why Super Sonic looks so different and why they labeled a screenshot of him a "mystery", but production be weird I guess.

Yeah, he's got a Facebook and apparently accepts friend requests from fans. Same with Oshima (and maybe Naka? I don't remember.)
As far as his English skills go, he has lived in America for more than half a decade total. I can say from experience that his English isn't terrible. Heavy accent though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's not uncommon for Japanese stuff to label blatantly obvious poo poo as 'mystery' or 'unknown' for some reason. You see it a lot in like mecha stuff where they'll show the silhouette of a super-obvious unit upgrade and go 'what could THIS mysterious unit be?!"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I was just at Sonic Boom a few years ago and I could have sworn he needed a translator. Maybe I'm misremembering.

I wonder if he's put off by American fans being so familiar with him. Isn't it really rude to use someone you barely know's given name like that?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

It's not uncommon for Japanese stuff to label blatantly obvious poo poo as 'mystery' or 'unknown' for some reason. You see it a lot in like mecha stuff where they'll show the silhouette of a super-obvious unit upgrade and go 'what could THIS mysterious unit be?!"

Okay yeah, point taken.

He still looks super weird, though.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

I was just at Sonic Boom a few years ago and I could have sworn he needed a translator. Maybe I'm misremembering.

I wonder if he's put off by American fans being so familiar with him. Isn't it really rude to use someone you barely know's given name like that?

Yeah, he needed one for stuff that was more than conversational. I guess my language standards have fallen a lot. Not terrible in my mind is "can have a basic conversation"

As for the second pet, I doubt it. It's common knowledge in Japan that westerners use their first names when talking to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

You know what always bugged me as a kid? Bosses like robotnik in Hill Top Zone and Lava Reef zone act 2 where he attacks from a ship coming out from lava. You do damage to the mad doctor and disable the machine, presumably compromising its hull and what happens? He sinks right back into the lava. If the machine was at full power wouldn't he fly out of it to safety? That always rubbed me the wrong way as a kid. How does he escape? What if he...