Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Sprenk posted:

That's not even wrong though. I have one of those and it has a handy hole right there for getting the bridge pins out, just like demonstrated in the photo.

Pull the bridge pins out while the string is under tension and report back your findings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

On dumb adverts how about this blast from the past? UK ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t2hRo4pAdI

I could only make it for about 10 seconds.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Do dumb advertisements go in this thread? Cuz i saw this and it's friggin magical.

You're going to have to explain this for us non-guitar people.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Sucrose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE07h53Im10

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sucrose posted:

I could only make it for about 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LaNfBNv5k0
The bridge pins hold one end of the strings in. The picture is demonstrating how one would pull out the bridge pins, but the guitar in the photo has the strings under tension, so you'd never actually pull out the pins under tension like that without breaking stuff.
edit:
yeah, that too. The secondary function is as a bridge pin tool. It's like if the promo photo for a 40 function swiss army knife had a photo of only the corkscrew attachment visible, and making it look like the user was about to drill right into the top of a metal capped beer bottle

canyoneer has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Aug 4, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

stop hiring the weak and the sick

More like oldheartless. :(

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

But using it on strings that aren't loose is wrong again...so

anly if yuo'er a pussye

e: apalogise for anny typoies, i recwntly lost an eye

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh, I just thought you were Welsh.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Trig Discipline posted:

anly if yuo'er a pussye

e: apalogise for anny typoies, i recwntly lost an eye

How's your fingat though?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Haven't had any complaints.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Someone at Walmart might be getting a talking to.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/walmart-apologizes-for-back-to-school-gun-display-urging-students-to-own-the-year-like-a-hero/

Having a rifle display urging students to 'own the school year like a hero' might be a mad marketing move.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Having a rifle display urging students to 'own the school year like a hero' might be a mad marketing move.

It might also be some joker stealing the sign from a display of superhero-themed backpacks.

Not that I'm desperate to defend Walmart, but it's pretty obvious that sign wasn't made for that display case, and the fact that Walmart sells hunting rifles in its sporting goods section is very old news.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Qylvaran posted:

It might also be some joker stealing the sign from a display of superhero-themed backpacks.

Not that I'm desperate to defend Walmart, but it's pretty obvious that sign wasn't made for that display case, and the fact that Walmart sells hunting rifles in its sporting goods section is very old news.

That's a good point and if correct my suspicion would be the person who took the photo is the culprit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

That's a good point and if correct my suspicion would be the person who took the photo is the culprit.

Suspicions could be confirmed if we verify whether said person has also posted photos of church marquees rearranged into inappropriate phrases.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Qylvaran posted:

Could also be some poor, overworked employee of Walmart, unable to concentrate as the local food bank was empty and they haven't eaten for 2 days.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe Walmart just hates children?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sunswipe posted:

Maybe Walmart just hates children?

Children are among Walmart's best workers!

GrandpaPants posted:

Lol

Somebody has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Aug 10, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

That's the genius of this promotion: sell guns to children so children stay away from school and have to work at Walmart. Walla!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sunswipe posted:

That's the genius of this promotion: sell guns to children so children stay away from school and have to work at Walmart. Walla!

Literally triggered

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Cross posting from E/N, of all places, because :psyduck:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Cross posting from E/N, of all places, because :psyduck:

If you go to their twitter page it's a fake women's magazine. All of their stuff is onion-Esque stuff like this

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Welp, look at me being dumb about moves in marketing. Live and learn.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Isn't that the purple that was called Statutory Grape at one point?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

XYZ posted:

Isn't that the purple that was called Statutory Grape at one point?

That's the story, anyway. They wanted that as the name for the color but some higher-up(s) put the kibosh on that and had it changed to Plum Crazy.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's not a "Good Marketing Moves" Thread that I'm aware of but I wanted to share this.

Chiquita Bananas are now advertising that they're putting a giant banana in the sky on August 21st, 2017.

https://www.thebananasun.com/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Joey Freshwater posted:

There's not a "Good Marketing Moves" Thread that I'm aware of but I wanted to share this.

Chiquita Bananas are now advertising that they're putting a giant banana in the sky on August 21st, 2017.

https://www.thebananasun.com/

quote:

For two glorious moments before and after the total(-ly overrated) solar
eclipse, Chiquita will temporarily turn the sun into a giant banana.

Them’s fighting words.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeesh I missed the totally overrated part.

Looks like I had the right thread after all!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

How would we determine the accurate rating of a solar eclipse?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I could do it. I used to look at the sun as a small child because I like seeing the weird colours so I'm probably immune now???

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

WrenP-Complete posted:

How would we determine the accurate rating of a solar eclipse?

The answer is always five. Figuring out the units is the hard part.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm hearing radio commercials lately (Netherlands) for I think a cable provider that repeatedly references the toughness and manliness of Chuck Norris. Every time I'm so embarassed for them referencing a 10-15 year old internet meme that I can't remember what they're actually advertizing.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I dunno if this is a dumb marketing move so much as an incredibly ill-timed one. I got this marketing email in my inbox this morning, before today's events in Spain.

(part of the narrative with those attacks is that this is the height of tourist season, and the attack occurred in a very tourist-heavy area)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Isn't that potentially giving some background on why the attack happened, and on growing anti-tourist sentiment in the city? CNN had a similar story as part of its coverage.

Now, if the story included an ad for cheap holidays in Barcelona...

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I feel like Belgian advertisements could stand to be a little more self-aware when it comes to cocoa and "hands off" jokes

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

I feel like Belgian advertisements could stand to be a little more self-aware when it comes to cocoa and "hands off" jokes

This took me far longer than it should have.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Fishstick posted:

The atrocities were not associated with cocoa plants.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh dear.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fishstick posted:

I don't see what you're seeing; could someone explain it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I don't see what you're seeing; could someone explain it?

Belgium had a very hands-on approach to chopping off hands in Congo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrocities_in_the_Congo_Free_State#Mutilation_and_brutality