Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

Sickening posted:

system administrator in the DFW area and aren't happy with your job
This is me. I'm currently looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We're finally actually looking at replacing our fax with a virtual fax. We're looking to ideally do it pretty cheap as our fax volume is fairly low and mostly single pages. Anyone used MetroFax? We don't need anything more than send and receive fax and it be reasonably easy for a user.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

All this DFW talk got me wondering. How likely would it be for me as a European to get a company that'd relocate me and my family and make sure I get a visa on top of it?

I'm willing to wear a #MAGA cap to my interview if necessary.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

All this DFW talk got me wondering. How likely would it be for me as a European to get a company that'd relocate me and my family and make sure I get a visa on top of it?

I think if you're not "Mexican or Muslim" you're fine? But don't quote me on that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

LochNessMonster posted:

How do you feel about Dr Pepper? :clint:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Dick Trauma posted:

How do you feel about Dr Pepper? :clint:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

pixaal posted:

We're finally actually looking at replacing our fax with a virtual fax. We're looking to ideally do it pretty cheap as our fax volume is fairly low and mostly single pages. Anyone used MetroFax? We don't need anything more than send and receive fax and it be reasonably easy for a user.

Windows Fax Server + USB to phone adapter = dirt cheap option

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pixaal posted:

If you fancy a bit of a project, then look at https://www.twilio.com/fax/pricing

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm pretty happy with GFI Faxmaker Online. I see no reason not to put that poo poo in the cloud these days. It's not exactly expensive.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

DFW Chat

I'm flying down to DFW about once a month for my job and if all goes well I'll be moving down there in a few. I'd say Dallas is underrated and Texas gets a bad rap from not so good parts of Conservative Politics but the cities themselves Austin, Dallas, San Antonio are pretty much liberal bastions.

The only drawback is traffic, oppressive heat and lack of mountains. And it ain't as cheap as it used to be.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

DFW Chat

I'm flying down to DFW about once a month for my job and if all goes well I'll be moving down there in a few. I'd say Dallas is underrated and Texas gets a bad rap from not so good parts of Conservative Politics but the cities themselves Austin, Dallas, San Antonio are pretty much liberal bastions.

The only drawback is traffic, oppressive heat and lack of mountains. And it ain't as cheap as it used to be.

On a scale of 1-5 how Oklahoma is Texas?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

pixaal posted:

Just looking at the screenshots it looks pretty much the same as eFax which is relatively simple to use assuming you aren't a troglodyte. I forget if you register your domain or something but all you need to do for sending is E-mail the fax number and send address and it makes its way across (or you can use the web interface), with receiving for receiving you just register which E-mail addresses you want faxes to come to.

It's pretty handy with MFPs that have scan to E-mail since you can do there and then.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wish MFP vendors recognised that email-to-fax services existed and had a way to configure the UI appropriately

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ask me about my adventures in getting a RightFax server from 2001 working in a Windows Server 2012 environment.

Spoiler: It didn't work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Methanar posted:

I got a pretty ridiculous raise

So did the picture of the C-Level who gave the raise have a dead hooker or a live animal in it? :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So did the picture of the C-Level who gave the raise have a dead hooker or a live animal in it? :v:

Why not both? :allears:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dick Trauma posted:

In the rural areas? Probably pretty much the same. Okc is comparable to Dfw, just smaller.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dallas and Raleigh are the two cities I usually have in my relocation options for job searches. I had trouble finding other parts of the country where there was tech work and the salary/housing cost ratio was any better than Los Angeles. So sure, in some regions a house might cost $150k but the tech jobs are paying so much less than L.A. that it's a wash.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Raleigh is cool but the housing market is absurd. Pretty much my only complaint with the area aside from the humidity.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Sheep posted:

Raleigh is cool but the housing market is absurd. Pretty much my only complaint with the area aside from the humidity.

Yup houses are insane here. 370k median price in my area

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Considering that in my neighborhood a crapbox sixties apartment building got turned into drab condos that went for $750k-$1M that number sounds fine as long as salaries stay aligned. :shepspends:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

alg posted:

As someone who lives in Seattle, 370k is pretty cheap for a house. The city itself is double that, and the suburbs are in the 400k-500k range.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Peachfart posted:

As someone who lives in Seattle, 370k is pretty cheap for a house. The city itself is double that, and the suburbs are in the 400k-500k range.
Yeah, I paid a bit more than that an hour and a half outside NYC for a 3-bedroom high ranch

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If DFW is hot I imagine Houston will be ripe for my return as well. Now to just finish this last month of the AT.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Vulture Culture posted:

Yeah, I paid a bit more than that an hour and a half outside NYC for a 3-bedroom high ranch

In a nice area here on long island that high ranch would be 650k+ with 13k a year taxes.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Peachfart posted:

I'm on the border between Raleigh and Durham where Wake County houses start around 400k, though realistically you're looking at 450 minimum for something in good repair. Everything in my neighborhood is low fives for single family homes.

You can save a few tens of thousands by buying in Durham if you don't have or plan to have kids.

Median price inside Raleigh proper fluctuates between 400 and 600 depending on where you're looking, it seems.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 5, 2017

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

In a nice area here on long island that high ranch would be 650k+ with 13k a year taxes.
i live like 20 minutes from you probably (and right about the taxes)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yes there are more expensive places to live in the US. Raleigh doesn't have light rail or a subway or anything other big cities have and it's still ridiculously expensive. Houses sell super fast to foreign investors. Raleigh is only a little bigger than Pittsburgh but the housing prices are much much higher.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

It's like DFW with zero nightlife or any enjoyable extra circular activities. I guess if all you do is work and go home it's a fine place to live. Aside from the earthquakes from fracking :heh:

Personally, I want to live in a city and if 600sqft is $300k well so be it. Walkability is awesome.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Vulture Culture posted:

i live like 20 minutes from you probably (and right about the taxes)

Don't dox me bro

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm struggling to understand how traditional IT Security functions in the first place and how it's changing with things like the Cloud, DevOps, etc.

Or - I'm working with a client that has a team they want responsible for "Cloud" Security but I don't see how even a small group of people are going to scale across Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, OneDrive and even Azure which is essentially it's own product line.

If I were in charge I wouldn't have a security team but just add security as a additional responsibility to whomever was administrating those products in the first place as they know how they function in the first place but I'm not sure if that's correct either.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Seperation of those duties is essential for 'good' security. Don't want the foxes guarding the henhouse.

What they actually do with Cloud infrastructure is certainly a bit different, but there's still plenty there.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I'm struggling to understand how traditional IT Security functions in the first place and how it's changing with things like the Cloud, DevOps, etc.

Or - I'm working with a client that has a team they want responsible for "Cloud" Security but I don't see how even a small group of people are going to scale across Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, OneDrive and even Azure which is essentially it's own product line.

If I were in charge I wouldn't have a security team but just add security as a additional responsibility to whomever was administrating those products in the first place as they know how they function in the first place but I'm not sure if that's correct either.

This is how things end up working where I am. We have a massive security team but none of them are particularly technical so we end up hardening our systems just so we don't end up on the news. Security, according to regs, is supposed to have someone reviewing logs on every server every week, lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

alg posted:

Lmao median is over $1m here

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao median is over $1m here

You're in Vancouver last I recall? Didn't the Canadian Govt. pass some sort of foreign investor tax that seems to have at least stopped the use of residential property as an investment?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

milk milk lemonade posted:

Seperation of those duties is essential for 'good' security. Don't want the foxes guarding the henhouse.

What they actually do with Cloud infrastructure is certainly a bit different, but there's still plenty there.

Well, I'm being asked by a "security person" how do I secure SharePoint?

My immediate answer is by understanding how SharePoint works in the first place and if you don't know... well...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

You're in Vancouver last I recall? Didn't the Canadian Govt. pass some sort of foreign investor tax that seems to have at least stopped the use of residential property as an investment?

Yup, Vancouver. BC passed that tax, but it only had a temporary market cooling effect. It's still absolutely insane. 1 bedroom condos in my neighbouring city, not even Vancouver actual (I'm in New Westminster if you want to google it) are 350-450k.

It's an enormous problem actually, beyond the obvious unaffordability reasons, because salaries (especially tech) have not gone up relative to the housing prices. So it's create this horrible unaffordable mess where most people are either struggling to get by, unable to advance/move up, or people simply leave.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

How's that free healthcare working out?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

How's that free healthcare working out?

Nothing in life is free, motherfucker.

e: except your mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nothing in life is free, motherfucker.

e: except your mom

I'm in a 2300 sqft house with no state income tax.

What my mom does in her free time is her own business. Last I heard she was screwing Linkpark48xxx.