Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Slime posted:

tbf even if they didn't consider cats sacred it would have been an effective tactic, having a cat thrown at your face is gonna make it hard to fight

When I saw the painting I was thinking "what about herding a bunch of cat onto a catapult and then throwing them over the wall"

I guess it wouldn't be easy or effective but just the imagine being inside the walls waiting for the attack & hearing that *chunk* reeeaaMrwooMEAAROWOWOO and looking up into a cloud of cats descending upon you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

When I saw the painting I was thinking "what about herding a bunch of cat onto a catapult and then throwing them over the wall"

I guess it wouldn't be easy or effective but just the imagine being inside the walls waiting for the attack & hearing that *chunk* reeeaaMrwooMEAAROWOWOO and looking up into a cloud of cats descending upon you.

"A thousand nations of the Persian empire will descend upon you. Our cats will blot out the sun!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

"A thousand nations of the Persian empire will descend upon you. Our cats will blot out the sun!"

Then we shall fight in the litterbox :shepface:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

IIRC the Persians thought cats were dog-shaped snakes and all good animals were some form of dog.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

FreudianSlippers posted:

IIRC the Persians thought cats were dog-shaped snakes and all good animals were some form of dog.

they weren't wrong

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

snakes are alright: check
cats are alright: check
dogs are pretty poo poo but theyre similary shaped: check

checks out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Twain, in Innocents Abroad posted:

I shall only say that the fuel they use for the locomotive is composed of mummies three thousand years old, purchased by the ton or by the graveyard for that purpose, and that sometimes one hears the profane engineer call out pettishly, “drat these plebeians, they don't burn worth a cent—pass out a King”

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

In 1842, US Navy Commodore Thomas Catesby Jones accidentally conquered California. He had thought that the US was already at with Mexico (they weren't), and that Britain would try to take over California in the mean time (they didn't).

So he sailed a bunch of ships into Monterey Bay, which was the nearest harbor and demanded they surrender at 9 AM the next day.

Which they did.

And it turned out that Monterey was the capital of Alta California, that Alta California had kinda-sorta declared independence from Mexico in 1836, and that because Mexico gave exactly zero shits about Alta California, they just let California do their own thing. So they explain this all to him and that the US and Mexico weren't at war and so he says "whoops my bad" and leaves.

Don't end the story halfway. Where did he head next?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He sailed into a timewarp and took command of the USS William D. Porter.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

eats says whoops my bad and leaves

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They also thought ants were literally demons and while I don't agree with their rather unfavorable view of cats I think they might have a point on the ant front.

look what I found:
http://www.zoroastriankids.com/

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Aug 5, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

They also thought ants were literally demons and while I don't agree with their rather unfavorable view of cats I think they might have a point on the ant front.

look what I found:
http://www.zoroastriankids.com/

I wasn't expecting Zoroastrian kids to all look lilly white tbh

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hey I mean "Land of the Aryans"

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

What am I expected to sacrifice to this vehicle

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

premium gasoline, none of that basic unleaded poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

trick is to sacrifice the mazda to itself

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aesop Poprock posted:

Anoint it daily with oil.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

i'm just kind of imagining a different world where Sol Invictus or the Mithra cult won

Check out the new MMDCCLXXI Tetragrammatron Jesus! Optional all-wheel drive, stow and go seating, and front and rear climate control available on selected vehicles.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

steinrokkan posted:

Not just Persians. Ever heard of black cats and bad luck?
Aren't black cats good luck in England?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Prize Winner posted:

i'm just kind of imagining a different world where Sol Invictus or the Mithra cult won

Check out the new MMDCCLXXI Tetragrammatron Jesus! Optional all-wheel drive, stow and go seating, and front and rear climate control available on selected vehicles.

prepares thursday roast beef

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

England hates orange cats for whatever weird rear end reason

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Say “Jesus, take the wheel” to activate autopilot.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Nessus posted:

Nah Sunderland have been poo poo for years

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nessus posted:

supposedly if youre an old wise danish woman & you feed the cat with like 50/50 milk & viper venom, i think cats are supposed to be good luck

e: but also if you wanna mess with newly weds, put cat hair under their pillows on their wedding night. thatll kill that marriage straight up.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I personally find that nothing spices up the ol' matrimonial act so much as toxoplasmosis.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

They keep eating all the lasagne I assume

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

You'd think it would be the Irish that hate the orange cats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Something about gingers.

Also apparently ginger people are more likely to own ginger cats.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I personally find that nothing spices up the ol' matrimonial act so much as toxoplasmosis.

another pro tip: travel to the indies (east or west, depending who tells the story), find a wise man & declare that youre in love with some lady. then look into a pot of water until you see her before your eyes & then spit in the pot. when you come home from those indies, shes in love with you and you will live together happily ever after

until you tell her how she fell in love and then she hates you forever

oh and also, there will be a number in the pot, thats the age of your death.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Pff you Protestant/Anglican heathens with your silly superstitions

Everybody knows that for a young man or woman to know who they'll marry they simply have to peel an apple during the night of the feast day of St Thomas and throw the pieces over their shoulder. They'll spell the name of their future spouse on the floor, it's just science!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean Garfield is a bad comic strip, but getting bent out of shape over it seems like a bit much.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Aesop Poprock posted:

Nothing it's a mazda.

It'll sacrifice itself to oxizidation in a tenth of the time of other cars

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

Apex seals

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Twain, in Innocents Abroad posted:
I shall only say that the fuel they use for the locomotive is composed of mummies three thousand years old, purchased by the ton or by the graveyard for that purpose, and that sometimes one hears the profane engineer call out pettishly, “drat these plebeians, they don't burn worth a cent—pass out a King”

This just reminded me that powdered human mummies were used as medicine at various times in history.

'Mummia'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummia

Or, for something a little more horrifying, you can try some Mellified Man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellified_man

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

stab posted:

Nothing it's a mazda.

It'll sacrifice itself to oxizidation in a tenth of the time of other cars

I actually drive a Mazda 3 is this a real thing :smith:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Twain related another pleasant story about cats in that same travelogue.

quote:

Spain chastised the Moors five or six years ago, about a disputed piece of property opposite Gibraltar, and captured the city of Tetouan. She compromised on an augmentation of her territory, twenty million dollars' indemnity in money, and peace. And then she gave up the city. But she never gave it up until the Spanish soldiers had eaten up all the cats. They would not compromise as long as the cats held out. Spaniards are very fond of cats. On the contrary, the Moors reverence cats as something sacred. So the Spaniards touched them on a tender point that time. Their unfeline conduct in eating up all the Tetouan cats aroused a hatred toward them in the breasts of the Moors, to which even the driving them out of Spain was tame and passionless. Moors and Spaniards are foes forever now. France had a minister here once who embittered the nation against him in the most innocent way. He killed a couple of battalions of cats (Tangier is full of them) and made a parlor carpet out of their hides. He made his carpet in circles--first a circle of old gray tomcats, with their tails all pointing toward the center; then a circle of yellow cats; next a circle of black cats and a circle of white ones; then a circle of all sorts of cats; and, finally, a centerpiece of assorted kittens. It was very beautiful, but the Moors curse his memory to this day.

https://twain.thefreelibrary.com/The-Innocents-Abroad/10-1

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

I actually drive a Mazda 3 is this a real thing :smith:

The first gen 3 is notorious for premature body panel rust, especially above the rear wheel wells. Not sure about frame rust.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

The first gen 3 is notorious for premature body panel rust, especially above the rear wheel wells. Not sure about frame rust.

oh well mine is not that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Been reading stuff on World War 1 and watching The Great War youtube channel. The Battle of Messines in 1917 is rather insane when you think about it. For years the Germans held the ridge, so the British response was to simply remove the Ridge with giant fuckoff mines,