Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Is charge range effectively 2d6 or 2d6+1?

The rules note that you've got to an inch from a unit to have charged successfully, but I've read a lot of tyranid players basing calculations on deep strikes off of needing to roll an 8 to get in, when if 2d6+1 is correct an adrenal gland unit would get +1 from glands, +1 from effective charge range and need only a 7 to be able to strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Is charge range effectively 2d6 or 2d6+1?

The rules note that you've got to an inch from a unit to have charged successfully, but I've read a lot of tyranid players basing calculations on deep strikes off of needing to roll an 8 to get in, when if 2d6+1 is correct an adrenal gland unit would get +1 from glands, +1 from effective charge range and need only a 7 to be able to strike.

You have to be more than 9" away on deep strike, which means you have to cover more than 8" of distance to get within 1". Since you can't roll fractions on dice, it takes a 9" charge for most units and an 8" charge for units with adrenal glands.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

JoshTheStampede posted:

poo poo make Steel Rain a 2cp strat to let a drop pod ignore the 9 inch rule.

For what amounts to dropping a big piece of cover and deep striking units otherwise based around not deep striking? Not too bad. Although the Raven Guard tactic eats this ability's lunch majorly, it sure as heck isn't bad.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everyone needs a dose of xenos in their life.

Irate Tree posted:

I dids a thing!

I feel like i'm getting better at trying to do non-metallic gold, though, i could be wrong.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Bee posted:

For what amounts to dropping a big piece of cover and deep striking units otherwise based around not deep striking? Not too bad. Although the Raven Guard tactic eats this ability's lunch majorly, it sure as heck isn't bad.

Units don't block line of sight or provide cover. It does literally nothing in that regard. It can fit up to 10 non-Primaris models that don't already jump, and aren't Terminators or Dreadnoughts. That list is limited to: Scouts, Command Squaads and characters, Tac Squads, and Sternguard Veteran squads. There might be one or two I'm missing, but there's no loving way that's worth 103 points.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Strobe posted:

Units don't block line of sight or provide cover. It does literally nothing in that regard. It can fit up to 10 non-Primaris models that don't already jump, and aren't Terminators or Dreadnoughts. That list is limited to: Scouts, Command Squaads and characters, Tac Squads, and Sternguard Veteran squads. There might be one or two I'm missing, but there's no loving way that's worth 103 points.

I thought it said your own models in the same unit don't block line of sight or provide cover?

The only rules I see under shooting phase are "a model must be visible to the shooting model" and "a model can see through other models in its own unit." Enemy drop pods are neither of those.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Strobe posted:

Units aren't a big block of cover anymore, but a big block of plastic is still a big block of plastic for true LOS.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JoshTheStampede posted:

Units aren't a big block of cover anymore, but a big block of plastic is still a big block of plastic for true LOS.

Drop Pods don't stay big chunks of plastic, though. The flaps deploy, and it's really difficult to cram 10 models behind a 2" wedge of plastic to block LOS.

They're overcosted, badly.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeast posted:

What are you using for your bases?

I'm about to start an army and that's exactly what I'm after.

The base is:

- Slather on Armageddon Dunes, wait for it to set.
- Drybrush Hexos Palesun
- Drybrush Tyrant Skull
- Wash with Cassandora Yellow, wait to dry
- Drybrush Hexos Palesun
- Drybrush Tyrant Skull

I got the recipe out of a White Dwarf, whichever one had the 20-30 recipes for texturing paints.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

GreenMarine posted:

The base is:

- Drybrush Hexos Palesun
- Drybrush Tyrant Skull
- Drybrush Hexos Palesun
- Drybrush Tyrant Skull

I got the recipe out of a White Dwarf, whichever one had the 20-30 recipes for texturing paints.

That's perfect, thank you!

I'm experimenting with Vallejo and AK desert sands as well, but I love the density of yours

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Strobe posted:

Drop Pods don't stay big chunks of plastic, though. The flaps deploy, and it's really difficult to cram 10 models behind a 2" wedge of plastic to block LOS.

Droppods that can't break the 9" rule are garbage. They should be like 20 points.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Strobe posted:

poo poo, you're right. Wasn't sure if the door flaps were a modeling choice or a necessity. So now the Drop Pod once again loses to other transport, this time in terms of actually providing cover. What a disappointment.

I'm starting to not even want Primaris drop pods.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I could see them being 40 based entirely on having a bunch of wounds that can still technically take an objective and also physically prevents enough enemy models from contesting it, but that's basically the only situation I can see them being genuinely worth anything.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
But friends, drop pods lost 10 points. Surely in GW's infinite wisdom that means they're at the right cost now.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chutche2 posted:

But friends, drop pods lost 10 points. Surely in GW's infinite wisdom that means they're at the right cost now.

The tyrannocyte is basically the same points base, which is kind of sad when you compare them.

EDIT: gently caress is the Repulser hard to point out. Like, 3-4 storm bolters, plus the hull and main weapons, plus the krak launchers, plus an extra heavy stubber cause why not. Unless you keep the icarus weapons or trade the storm bolters for frag launchers or...

It will make it a hell of a lot easier for people to cheap, that's for sure.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 6, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

LordAba posted:

The tyrannocyte is basically the same points base, which is kind of sad when you compare them.

Wait, isn't the Drop Pod 5 power and the Tyrannocyte 7 power? If that discrepancy doesn't carry into points, I am both shocked and disappointed.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
It's weird the Repulser has a stubber. That never felt like a marine weapon.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Drop pod: 95 (98 with deathwind) points, 5 PL

Tyrannocyte: 138 (143 or 173 depending on guns), 7 PL

Tyrannocyte and drop pod are about the same points before weapons but a tyrannocyte has 40+ points of guns.

GreenMarine posted:

Yeah but this is a Primaris Marine Ironhail DeathKill Heavy Stubber with -1 AP, so it's fine.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

chutche2 posted:

Yeah but this is a Primaris Marine Ironhail DeathKill Heavy Stubber with -1 AP, so it's fine.

You forgot the Venerable !!!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GreenMarine posted:

I actively avoid having them in my Primaris army for that very reason. It's a loving stubber. It belongs in the hands of gangers in the underhive.

Did GW ever clarify if the second stubber could be upgraded to a punisher gatling?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

goose willis posted:

You forgot the Venerable !!!

Icarus, too.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"

GreenMarine posted:

The base is:

- Drybrush Hexos Palesun
- Drybrush Tyrant Skull
- Drybrush Hexos Palesun
- Drybrush Tyrant Skull

Hot drat, I'm only doing the Armageddon -> agrax -> Tyrant Skull. I am going to have to try that.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chutche2 posted:

Drop pod: 95 (98 with deathwind) points, 5 PL

Tyrannocyte: 138 (143 or 173 depending on guns), 7 PL

Tyrannocyte and drop pod are about the same points before weapons but a tyrannocyte has 40+ points of guns.

For 7 times the shots with a better set of guns (even with the less chance to hit), more transport capability, 4 more wounds, and the ability to no get totally shut down by a single model in combat? I'll pay those extra points.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

LordAba posted:

For 7 times the shots with a better set of guns (even with the less chance to hit), more transport capability, 4 more wounds, and the ability to no get totally shut down by a single model in combat? I'll pay those extra points.

I mean, it does have Instinctual Behavior still, and it can only transport a single unit, but if you either IB it into a priority target or drop it near a Synapse unit you can mitigate that downside easily.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Also it can, you know, move.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JoshTheStampede posted:

The first 8th ed battle report I saw involved a tyrannocyte charging a thunderfire cannon and it was hilairous

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

JoshTheStampede posted:

. . . Somehow I completely missed this.

I love you, giant sack of pus and teeth.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

Speaking of which, I've got a campaign game coming up tomorrow that called for a third rhino, so I painted up a third one for my Black Legion:

Owns bones the pair of you. Some fantastic work.

AdMech guys, what should I be putting on the Dunecrawlers? They have so many options. How easy are they to magnetise?

Also are Skitarii special weapons going to be annoying as I think they are since you get 1 per box and they can take up to 3 the same?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Dunecrawlers are easy enough to magnetize. However, mine have the Icarus array on them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So here's a question. If you're playing a successor Marine chapter, you definitely get the Chapter Tactics of your progenitor chapter, but does that also apply to the Chapter Warlord Traits and Strategems as well?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I played a 2000 point game earlier today as Deathwing versus a mother fuckin' Grotzkrieg. That army is the most adorable shitshow ever. Grot mega tanks can even mutiny. :3: Sadly, it was a bit of a mismatch and once my terminators got into melee it was pretty much over. Poor grots.
:smith:

On the bright side, it was my first time playing terminators in the new edition and they did much better than I thought they would. My 2+ saves were as lovely as ever, but as soon as modifiers start flying, my usual 3+ saves kick in. :getin: Deathwing Knights are scary as hell too, especially when they've got a Deathwing Ancient (+1 attack aura) and Belial buffing them.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 6, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Finished painting my Plague Marines out of the DI box today. Those are some awesome models, it'll be interesting to see what the multi-parts look like in comparison.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jng2058 posted:

So here's a question. If you're playing a successor Marine chapter, you definitely get the Chapter Tactics of your progenitor chapter, but does that also apply to the Chapter Warlord Traits and Strategems as well?

I would say no, as they already have their own.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

jng2058 posted:

If I am playing my Howling Griffons, i can just play them as Ultramarines. No problem.

If they release Rogal Dorn they will have to come up with better wording. Crimson Fists and Black Templars are no longer Imperial Fists. You can't take Pedro Cantor and Lysander and say "Well, my army benefit from both bonuses because Crimson Fists are Imperial Fists successors."

Is that what you mean to do?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Owns bones the pair of you. Some fantastic work.

AdMech guys, what should I be putting on the Dunecrawlers? They have so many options. How easy are they to magnetise?

Also are Skitarii special weapons going to be annoying as I think they are since you get 1 per box and they can take up to 3 the same?

I've been having a ton of fun with Neutron Lasers. Stick Cawl next to them and watch the magic happen. (Seriously. You can destroy a Monolith in a single round of shooting). Icarus Array's also pour out a ton of fire.

But yes, definitely magnetize then. I didn't and I regret it.

I think you only get 1 Arquebus per box, if I remember correctly. But I ended up with 4 boxes of Skitarii, so I might be wrong.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

I've been having a ton of fun with Neutron Lasers. Stick Cawl next to them and watch the magic happen. (Seriously. You can destroy a Monolith in a single round of shooting). Icarus Array's also pour out a ton of fire.

I think you only get 1 Arquebus per box, if I remember correctly. But I ended up with 4 boxes of Skitarii, so I might be wrong.

Yeah the Neutron Lasers looked awesome and are my first choice. Icarus Array makes sense for taking down fliers (and if I understand right you can shoot all 3 profiles?)

Magnets it is then. I haven't magnetised anything in years and I think I hacked it together at the time, better get a proper set of tools sorted.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm trying to hold off fielding Abaddon to make Black Legion work, but god-drat, he's like Guillman is to the Ultramarines. He's just an objective upgrade for the whole army.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zuul the Cat posted:

I have a feeling the Neutron Laser will go up in points. It is way too easy to put 7+wounds on something, especially when you sit a character next to them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Yeah the Neutron Lasers looked awesome and are my first choice. Icarus Array makes sense for taking down fliers (and if I understand right you can shoot all 3 profiles?)

Magnets it is then. I haven't magnetised anything in years and I think I hacked it together at the time, better get a proper set of tools sorted.

Yep. It's a weapons array, so you get to fire all of it. Best part is that the Dunecrawlers have the Crawler special rule, letting them move and fire everything with no negative modifiers.

LordAba posted:

I have a feeling the Neutron Laser will go up in points. It is way too easy to put 7+wounds on something, especially when you sit a character next to them.

It probably will, but in not so sure it needs it. Maybe for tournaments, yeah. It feels exactly how it's supposed to - a glass cannon.

Dunecrawlers are pretty cheap, even with the Neutron Lasers. But I play power level anyway, so I have no horse in this race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I actively avoid having them in my Primaris army for that very reason. It's a loving stubber. It belongs in the hands of gangers in the underhive.

Counterpoint: the Repulsor has been built by Belisarius Cawl. Admech vehicles are festooned with stubbers. He's just using what he's used to.