Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

Sorry to say, but I gave up on Magi ever since they did the weird time travel plot hole story. Sinbad looks promising but so it goes.

Blue Exorcist's latest chapter summary looks decent but then the manga-ka goes on hiatus until October so I heard.

Which story are you talking about? Do you mean the flashback thing with Solomon, etc? I actually liked that part.

Blue Exorcist is thoroughly...competent. I don't think it's anything amazing, but I still find it solidly entertaining.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Which story are you talking about? Do you mean the flashback thing with Solomon, etc? I actually liked that bad.

Blue Exorcist is thoroughly...competent. I don't think it's anything amazing, but I still find it solidly entertaining.

Yes, that was the point where I lost interest and then Sinbad got his new brainwashing powers.

What did you say about my anime BF Yukio?! <:mad:>

I like how the manga-ka handled Shura's arc, who often wearing extremely revealing clothing, and we finally found out why in the last volume. The weird love triangle still makes no sense and I wish Shemi actually did something other than feel bad for the brothers. The pacing could move faster too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shura's arc was great, as is the aftermath. there's a bunch of interesting stuff going on now, but none of it is directly related to the okumura brothers so they have been spinning their wheels for quite some time.

as for the anime, the impure king arc was kinda lame from start to finish, with only the adorable proposal scene at the very end being particularly entertaining.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

I like how the manga-ka handled Shura's arc, who often wearing extremely revealing clothing, and we finally found out why in the last volume. The weird love triangle still makes no sense and I wish Shemi actually did something other than feel bad for the brothers. The pacing could move faster too.

I like the thick eyebrow girl more than Shiemi, though obviously Shiemi is the intended main love interest (it looks like eyebrows girl is getting set up with the spy guy).

edit: I kinda wish they'd cut to the chase with all this "Yukio is obviously gonna do some sort of betrayal at some point" stuff. They've had this subplot just sorta simmering in the background for most of the series.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I like how all the "bad" people end up not being that bad. It's a little unrealistic, but I still prefer it to the more typical "MC is a nerd and delinquents are all evil irredeemable scum" stuff. It's a bit closer to the truth of "all of these characters are people and not just cliches", even if their problems are solved really easily.

edit: I think this short hair girl who dresses up as a guy (Raino, I think) is my favorite of the characters to show up so far.

Amanojaku and the Onishima Boss are some real assholes so far

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I like the thick eyebrow girl more than Shiemi, though obviously Shiemi is the intended main love interest (it looks like eyebrows girl is getting set up with the spy guy).

edit: I kinda wish they'd cut to the chase with all this "Yukio is obviously gonna do some sort of betrayal at some point" stuff. They've had this subplot just sorta simmering in the background for most of the series.

Izumi is nice along w/her personal arc but I get a feeling no one is going to date the spy guy since he has too much personal baggage. Also, I have no idea where the manga-ka is going w/Bon and his eccentric mentor other than human experiments are bad which is a huge theme in practically all shonen :sigh:

I'm calling it now the final show down won't be Satan vs Rin but Rin and his friends vs Yukio who has moved to the demon side. It would be much more dramatic this way and closer to S2 of the anime (which I disliked a lot except for the OST).

I'm ambivalent towards Shiemi since her intro and I thought we'd get to find out her exact reasons this month but nope. Her basic personality is fine but very bland? I want to have friends is an OK motivation but then what? It's been quite a long time since she made new friends and all.

I mean, you can say YukioxShura has a stronger basis on their past exp but age gap.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I like how all the "bad" people end up not being that bad. It's a little unrealistic, but I still prefer it to the more typical "MC is a nerd and delinquents are all evil irredeemable scum" stuff. It's a bit closer to the truth of "all of these characters are people and not just cliches", even if their problems are solved really easily.

edit: I think this short hair girl who dresses up as a guy (Raino, I think) is my favorite of the characters to show up so far.

It's almost criminal how cute Raino is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

Izumi is nice along w/her personal arc but I get a feeling no one is going to date the spy guy since he has too much personal baggage. Also, I have no idea where the manga-ka is going w/Bon and his eccentric mentor other than human experiments are bad which is a huge theme in practically all shonen :sigh:

I'm calling it now the final show down won't be Satan vs Rin but Rin and his friends vs Yukio who has moved to the demon side. It would be much more dramatic this way and closer to S2 of the anime (which I disliked a lot except for the OST).

I dunno, I would bet a small amount of money that Izumi is going to end up with spy guy (or at least have some sort of romantic subplot progress, even if it doesn't end with them together); recently there's been a little more focus on their interactions that seems to point in that direction. Earlier in the series she seemed to show some potentially-romantic interest in Rin, but that subplot seems to have completely disappeared in the latter parts of the series (or what's been released so far, that is).

While I think there's a good chance you're right about Yukio being a final (or close to final) boss, I'm actually not sure how I feel about it since it would be a little cliche. I'm okay with him flipping to the enemy side, but don't know how I feel about him being a climactic end battle.

Regarding Bon and Lightning, Lightning seems to be a pretty bad (as opposed to merely morally ambiguous) guy. He effectively murdered that one guy by interrogating him (since presumably he would have been able to live a full life if he never revealed that info).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lightning is a complete bastard but he is also the only one looking into all this super-important shady poo poo.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

While I think there's a good chance you're right about Yukio being a final (or close to final) boss, I'm actually not sure how I feel about it since it would be a little cliche. I'm okay with him flipping to the enemy side, but don't know how I feel about him being a climactic end battle.

Regarding Bon and Lightning, Lightning seems to be a pretty bad (as opposed to merely morally ambiguous) guy. He effectively murdered that one guy by interrogating him (since presumably he would have been able to live a full life if he never revealed that info).

True, Yukio will probably be the 2nd to last final boss but I wonder if the manga-ka is determined enough to kill him off or not. I'm leaning towards no since that would be fairly depressing for a shonen series. I going to assume he'll be out of commission so we can follow Rin to do ... something. I find Rin to be the most interesting when he's arguing w/his twin vs just killing monsters/making friends/getting into trouble.

Lightning is a loose cannon and I'm glad Bon realized this sooner than later but I can't help but feel like the main plot is splintering into too many different directions at once.

1. Spy's mini-arc w/his goal
2. Yukio's angst over his lack of demonic ability and his distance from Rin
3. Rin wants to fight Satan and control his powers better
4. Shiemi's reason for leaving the program and the fallout
5. Bon and Lightning's adventures in vigilantism
6. Secret cloning facility and Shiro's dark past

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I like about Yukio is how petty and trivial the source of his angst is. The dude is literally just frustrated/angry his brother is stronger, and he doesn't even have any justifiable reason for this (like having someone he really needs to protect but can't due to lacking Rin's power).

It's definitely an understandable thing to have some angst about (it'd suck if your brother had superpowers and you didn't), but the level of Yukio's anger towards the situation definitely isn't normal and paints him in a bad light. To be honest, I hope he doesn't turn out to have some more legitimate motive for wanting power, because it's actually more interesting for his motive to just be pure jealousy.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I like about Yukio is how petty and trivial the source of his angst is. The dude is literally just frustrated/angry his brother is stronger, and he doesn't even have any justifiable reason for this (like having someone he really needs to protect but can't due to lacking Rin's power).

It's definitely an understandable thing to have some angst about (it'd suck if your brother had superpowers and you didn't), but the level of Yukio's anger towards the situation definitely isn't normal and paints him in a bad light. To be honest, I hope he doesn't turn out to have some more legitimate motive for wanting power, because it's actually more interesting for his motive to just be pure jealousy.

:same:

Although I do adore Yukio I'm tired of him just going on and on about his lack of abilities compared to his brother for the last few vol. IIRC it started around the Kyoto arc all the way up to the latest chapter and I thought Yukio wanted to be stronger so he could protect his brother from himself? TBH, he's the world's most mature 15 year old ever in shonen manga basically he's going on to 30s despite being much younger due to his stressful life. Oh well.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
it seems to me that yukio is mad because he no longer gets to be the cool guy

before rin was the delinquent tough guy protecting his brother but yukio was secretly a badass exorcist fighting demons
now rin is a badass exorcist too and he has stronger powers and yukio is threatened by it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elfgames posted:

it seems to me that yukio is mad because he no longer gets to be the cool guy

before rin was the delinquent tough guy protecting his brother but yukio was secretly a badass exorcist fighting demons
now rin is a badass exorcist too and he has stronger powers and yukio is threatened by it.

Yeah, I feel like Yukio was able to cope with his brother having powers as long as he was still generally more capable (either in terms of pure fighting strength or in terms of being able to help keep Rin under control), but now Rin has pretty stable control over more power than him, so he doesn't really have any way to rationalize himself as being stronger/better. Not to mention other things, like Rin getting along better with his classmates and attracting the attention of Shiemi (who I don't think Yukio romantically likes, but I think he still enjoyed the feeling of her looking up to him).

Either way, I like the idea of a character becoming bad due to genuine personality flaws, rather than some sympathetic reason.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they aren't yukio's classmates, they are his students. shiemi is the only one of them he is really friends with.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they aren't yukio's classmates, they are his students. shiemi is the only one of them he is really friends with.

Yeah, the "his" referred to Rin there, but they're still pretty much his entire social group near his age.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
It's so fun to catch up on the thread when I just finished reading the latest Blue Exorcist chapter. Which is a cool and good series and deserves the praise it receives.

Spoiler for the latest chapter: Yukio's power finally showed itself at the end of the chapter. And it looks like it has more of a separate personality that Rin's does.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Latest Astra : :supaburn:. That is all.

I would also like to add

:tviv:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was looking around and noticed a series called Kenrantaru Grande Scène. It's about a young girl that wants to do ballet. I was surprised this series is shounen.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

I would also like to add

:tviv:

Astra is really good! Good find.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It being free on Viz helps.]

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I feel like Yukio was able to cope with his brother having powers as long as he was still generally more capable (either in terms of pure fighting strength or in terms of being able to help keep Rin under control), but now Rin has pretty stable control over more power than him, so he doesn't really have any way to rationalize himself as being stronger/better. Not to mention other things, like Rin getting along better with his classmates and attracting the attention of Shiemi (who I don't think Yukio romantically likes, but I think he still enjoyed the feeling of her looking up to him).

Either way, I like the idea of a character becoming bad due to genuine personality flaws, rather than some sympathetic reason.

I would read this chapter since it would be different from other manga. Also, I hope the love triangle never shows up because they're bad and writers who rely on them should feel bad. I often feel like Yukio is acting overly mature for good age.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
This week in Robot X Laserbeam:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh that can NOT be a real thing that happened. I'd buy that kind of trick shot in pool but not on the putting green.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think he meant to do that. Aren't hole-in-ones mostly luck even for pros?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hole in ones are purely luck. You can aim to get as close as possible to the pin, but you simply can't account for all possible factors that influence the ball; the tiniest deviation in wind, shot power and angle, green grain and slope, etc., means the difference between a hit and a miss.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rangpur posted:

Oh that can NOT be a real thing that happened. I'd buy that kind of trick shot in pool but not on the putting green.

yeah it happened, and it's probably a direct reference to it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0JalMOoP30

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'll be goddamned

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The instant hug from his caddie is great

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hungry Marie seems to be headed for an early cancellation, judging from the chapters.

Or maybe I'm just letting its ranking get to me.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I caught up on To You, The Immortal recently. I fuckin love that series

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

Hungry Marie seems to be headed for an early cancellation, judging from the chapters.

What has its ranking been like?

edit: Nevermind, I found some rankings. Yeah, they're pretty bad. If it's cancelled I hope the author manages to get something published again, because I really like his sense of humor.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How many chapters have been released so far?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The soccer series by the Straighten Up mangaka isn't doing well either.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

I loved Beelzebub, but fell out of this a couple chapters in (with the plan of reading and catching up to it later of course)
guess it's not doing that well

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it took too long to set up the premise.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mraagvpeine posted:

How many chapters have been released so far?

Korean scans are up to chapter 27 but the releases for it are so inconsistent (comes out like a week later on Monday, as opposed to other Shounen Jump scans coming out on Thursday) that I don't know if it's still behind.

It's consistently lowest in rankings.

I actually like the author's sense of humor so I've been having fun with it, but I guess most SJ readers don't feel the same way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

Korean scans are up to chapter 27 but the releases for it are so inconsistent (comes out like a week later on Monday, as opposed to other Shounen Jump scans coming out on Thursday) that I don't know if it's still behind.

It's consistently lowest in rankings.

I actually like the author's sense of humor so I've been having fun with it, but I guess most SJ readers don't feel the same way.

I'm actually kinda surprised it's been around for 27 chapters with such low rankings. Don't things usually get cancelled within like <20 chapters? I guess they might have allowed it to hang around longer due to the reputation of its author or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He should do something in another magazine imo