Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

How is this not here

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/05/chinese-tourists-arrested-for-making-hitler-salutes-outside-reichstag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hakimashou posted:

You seem to have left out both missouri and most of the deep south there chief.

nope

Ohio is that bad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ohio is unbelievably miserable and it haunts me that I like their terrible food like goetta.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Barudak posted:

Ohio is unbelievably miserable and it haunts me that I like their terrible food like goetta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7SuBBpLX-A

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Great Autismo! posted:

as stringent just said a bit ago, "ohio is texas except cold and no mexican food".

Ohio has almost zero national parks. it has no hills. it is full of truck drivers driving across the empty void that is ohio. the best city in ohio, cleveland, is so bad their own son left it because it is so terrible. he only came back because of how pathetic it has been for like the past 50 years.

take a look at the best parts in each of the states you originally mentioned.

new jersey, carolinas, hawaii all have beaches, instantly making it better than ohio.
delaware gets a pass for being the first state of the united states
arkansas is better but it is a bit smaller to drive across, so it is a bit better than ohio. has the ozarks
missouri has the ozarks
the dakotas have the black hills and gave us the movie fargo, far better than anything ohio has given us
texas is bad but austin is better than anything ohio has to offer
michigan is my least favorite state in the US and i still think it is better than ohio, go to like the UP, its gorgeous (and i hate michigan)
indiana is bad but it is still a little better than ohio because it has purdue university
west virginia is bad but gorgeous, so it gets the nod over ohio
arizona has flagstaff, tucson and tempe, as well as cool poo poo like tombstone
alaska absolutely owns
hawaii is cool i'm guessing, its one of the two states ive never been to
idaho actually has some gorgeous places to visit. ohio doesn't
iowa gave us field of dreams, better than anything ohio has ever done
kansas is v bad but at least there's like one cool basketball university in it
oklahoma is bad but a little better than ohio
kentucky has all kinds of cool poo poo like the derby and bourbon

ohio is just a cold desolate place that if you go there and never leave, it is terrible. theres literally no good places to go, and nothing good to do. ohio is like if you tried to live in a walmart

alabama and mississippi are like living in the dollar store, they are v bad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My family from ohio celebrated our marriage by buying us amish furniture and a nativity scene to bolt into the wall over our bed.

The population of Ohio is 80%+ time displaced ultra catholic german peasants from the 10th century ad.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ohio is literally a place for people to masterbate at the library

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GniNLLNBRM4

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ohio is so bad it is literally worse than China

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ohio really is poo poo. I got 2 tickets in one day, once when entering and once right before I left. Both times going 5-7 over the limit

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Ohio is so bad it is literally worse than China

There's nothing wrong with Ohio except the snow and the rain. I really like Drew Carey, and I'd love to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

Ohio really is poo poo. I got 2 tickets in one day, once when entering and once right before I left. Both times going 5-7 over the limit

Over is over, you'd thought you'd have learnt after the first one. I don't mean to sound like a dick but not speeding is super easy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

simplefish posted:

There's nothing wrong with Ohio except the snow and the rain. I really like Drew Carey, and I'd love to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

That's a reason to visit. Maybe.

Hey friend, what do you want to do today? Visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
Oh yes. I bet it'll be even better than last week.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Our hybrid is due in 5 days, and my wife has already read the riot act to my mother in law.

"No sugar water"
"Don't overdress him"
"Never medicate him"

We're not really that worried about the first and last ones, but the second one is likely to be an issue since she points to toddlers in 27 degree weather and remarks that they are not wearing enough. My mother in law helped me put away firewood for approx 4 hours today. She and my father in law (in China right now) might not actually be Chinese given that they have no wish to sit in an apartment all day and rot. Last time they were over they would walk into the bush for hours, collect fiddleheads and generally enjoy nature.

Got to say that I really lucked out in the inlaws dept.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

simplefish posted:

Over is over, you'd thought you'd have learnt after the first one. I don't mean to sound like a dick but not speeding is super easy.

You're right. You do sound like a dick.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'unno, cruise control helps.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

simplefish posted:

The snow and the rain are fine, it's he fact that they are in Ohio that make them so god awful terrible

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Are you telling me that you insufferable nerds don't go 5 - 10 over the speed limit?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

simplefish posted:

also aren't we supposed to find out what race or ethnicity he is before we make a comment like this or are we safe in gbs

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

also aren't we supposed to find out what race or ethnicity he is before we make a comment like this or are we safe in gbs

Huh? I don't get it

Do you mean like how he might be black and just getting pulled over because Ohio cops are like temporarily embarrassed klansmen?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's in February, which my wife says is one of the more pleasant times of the year to be there. I guess I'll check what the AQI's looking like before we fly out and see if I need to buy masks.
I would say December-March are the worst of the worst because it gets cold at night and people burn garbage to keep warm. Like, they will literally burn a pile of trash and stand over it. The AQI at that time is going to be super bad, but Delhi's AQI generally always super bad. The summer is the worst time to go for heat, but the AQI is only like 150-200 in the day, so it's probably the best time for air quality as Delhi can give.
Delhi is hell to me. The sprawl is so bad you can't even go there for a day trip if you lived outside of it. It's just a big disgusting dump and I hate it. LOL. As a tourist, you'll probably just be like "Wow, what the gently caress?" in an amused mood.

quote:

Yes, I've been completely forbidden from buying my own food while there :v: We'll probably be eating from relative-recommended places in Delhi and Lucknow, and in Kerala I guess I'll just trust to the biwi's intuition on what places are safe.

When I make chai, I just use ginger, cardamom seeds, and fennel, plus of course milk and tea leaves. Is that what they serve on the street or is it literally just tea, milk, and sugar?
Chai in India = Black CTC tea (crush, teared, curled tiny balls of tea for maximum caffeine and flavor dispersal) boiled in full cream cow or buffalo milk, and then with a truck bed's worth of sugar. If you ask for a chai, that's what you'll get. The stuff with spices is masala chai, and North Americans were victims of marketing schemes because Indians really don't drink that stuff much, if ever. The only people I knew who wanted spiced tea would drink it without milk, and using it for sore throat.

quote:

I'm actually hoping to try gutka paan once. The last wedding we went to, here in the States, had a pile of paan but it had that sweet semi-sticky rolled dough kind of wrapper instead of just a betel leaf; I prefer the leaf-wrapped kind. I can get the betel leaf wrapped stuff here in my city but it's like $1.50 each which sucks.
I'd pay that for some paan outside India, just for the novelty. "Supari" is the areca nut that turns your mouth red, makes you spit, and is a little similar to caffeine. It's hard and it wears down the teeth if you chew it. Gutka is just a packet of chewing tobacco added on top, since most poor Indians are addicted to it and smoking unfiltered biris. Unless you want to be sucking on a can of Skole, supari is the stuff you're looking for for the true paan experience.
I remember a long time ago I was with my dad and said I wanted a paan after dinner. I wasn't paying attention and the paan guy loaded it up with gutka, and at the time I had never had any experience with tobacco. I don't really care about spiting regular paan, so I stupidly swallowed the tobacco juice. I got so dizzy and sick that my dad had to help me walk back to the hotel, while laughing at me and calling me an idiot. I laid in bed for about an hour on the verge of puking.

LingcodKilla posted:

Wiping with water is exactly what it sounds like right?
Fill up the butt wash cup and wipe your butt with water. It's cleaner and better than toilet paper, but you have no way to dry off so the back of your pants tends to get wet when you pull them up again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Are you telling me that you insufferable nerds don't go 5 - 10 over the speed limit?

Anywhere else. Ohio highway patrol is famed for their enforcement. My dad used to be a truck driver and it's a well known bit of lore among truckers in the region that you just don't speed on Ohio highways.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I went to a full on 2-day Indian wedding thing in NYC once of some wealthy family friends and it was a riot, a lot of fun.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Haier posted:

I would say December-March are the worst of the worst because it gets cold at night and people burn garbage to keep warm. Like, they will literally burn a pile of trash and stand over it. The AQI at that time is going to be super bad, but Delhi's AQI generally always super bad. The summer is the worst time to go for heat, but the AQI is only like 150-200 in the day, so it's probably the best time for air quality as Delhi can give.
Delhi is hell to me. The sprawl is so bad you can't even go there for a day trip if you lived outside of it. It's just a big disgusting dump and I hate it. LOL. As a tourist, you'll probably just be like "Wow, what the gently caress?" in an amused mood.

Chai in India = Black CTC tea (crush, teared, curled tiny balls of tea for maximum caffeine and flavor dispersal) boiled in full cream cow or buffalo milk, and then with a truck bed's worth of sugar. If you ask for a chai, that's what you'll get. The stuff with spices is masala chai, and North Americans were victims of marketing schemes because Indians really don't drink that stuff much, if ever. The only people I knew who wanted spiced tea would drink it without milk, and using it for sore throat.

I'd pay that for some paan outside India, just for the novelty. "Supari" is the areca nut that turns your mouth red, makes you spit, and is a little similar to caffeine. It's hard and it wears down the teeth if you chew it. Gutka is just a packet of chewing tobacco added on top, since most poor Indians are addicted to it and smoking unfiltered biris. Unless you want to be sucking on a can of Skole, supari is the stuff you're looking for for the true paan experience.
I remember a long time ago I was with my dad and said I wanted a paan after dinner. I wasn't paying attention and the paan guy loaded it up with gutka, and at the time I had never had any experience with tobacco. I don't really care about spiting regular paan, so I stupidly swallowed the tobacco juice. I got so dizzy and sick that my dad had to help me walk back to the hotel, while laughing at me and calling me an idiot. I laid in bed for about an hour on the verge of puking.

Fill up the butt wash cup and wipe your butt with water. It's cleaner and better than toilet paper, but you have no way to dry off so the back of your pants tends to get wet when you pull them up again.

Just tried this at home.

I'm not pleased with the results.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Bum gun or bust.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hakimashou posted:

I went to a full on 2-day Indian wedding thing in NYC once of some wealthy family friends and it was a riot, a lot of fun.

My wedding spanned 4 days but 2 of them were pretty much for immediate family only. It was fun but extremely tiring.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Anywhere else. Ohio highway patrol is famed for their enforcement. My dad used to be a truck driver and it's a well known bit of lore among truckers in the region that you just don't speed on Ohio highways.

lmao Ohio is so bad it actively interferes with your attempts to leave it

https://youtu.be/e7SuBBpLX-A

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Haier posted:

Chai in India = Black CTC tea (crush, teared, curled tiny balls of tea for maximum caffeine and flavor dispersal) boiled in full cream cow or buffalo milk, and then with a truck bed's worth of sugar. If you ask for a chai, that's what you'll get. The stuff with spices is masala chai, and North Americans were victims of marketing schemes because Indians really don't drink that stuff much, if ever. The only people I knew who wanted spiced tea would drink it without milk, and using it for sore throat

Hah, we actually use CTC tea at home too. I didn't know that's what it was, but it's pretty good. I slice ginger into 2 cups water as it comes to boil, then add a three good tablespoons of tea and some lightly crushed saunf and elaichi. After 30 sec or so, I add 2 cups milk and bring it back to a boil. When it foams up, take it off the heat and stir it down, then put it back on and repeat that a few times. Comes out pretty good with a spoonful of sugar in each cup.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't bitch about it being the cops fault for catching me if i do. Also i dont get a ticket in the morning the go right out and do it again the same afternoon, like wtf is that avout?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hah, we actually use CTC tea at home too. I didn't know that's what it was, but it's pretty good. I slice ginger into 2 cups water as it comes to boil, then add a three good tablespoons of tea and some lightly crushed saunf and elaichi. After 30 sec or so, I add 2 cups milk and bring it back to a boil. When it foams up, take it off the heat and stir it down, then put it back on and repeat that a few times. Comes out pretty good with a spoonful of sugar in each cup.
How CTC is made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6yiKKXRs2o

The smell in there must be heavenly.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
It's just Face Culture 101. It's obviously the policeman's fault for making you lose face.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Haier posted:

How CTC is made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6yiKKXRs2o

The smell in there must be heavenly.

India seems cool and good, but seriously Haier, which parts of India are the best to visit as a tourist? I'm assuming that becoming a tea plantation owner is not easy.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

The south Indian communist state. Not the naxalites. The other one.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Or up in the Himalayan foothills chilling with Sikhs and having a good Muslim steak

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Haier posted:

I'd pay that for some paan outside India, just for the novelty. "Supari" is the areca nut that turns your mouth red, makes you spit, and is a little similar to caffeine. It's hard and it wears down the teeth if you chew it. Gutka is just a packet of chewing tobacco added on top, since most poor Indians are addicted to it and smoking unfiltered biris.

God i'd completely forgotten about biris, those things are loving rough as guts. I went through about three months smoking them because i thoought it made me look cool.

I forgot to take a couple out of the bottom of my bag on my way back into Australia, got pulled aside by customs and had to explain over and over again that no it's just tobacco....

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
I was going to say the exact same as BCR. Kerala and west bengal are great.

Rajasthan good as a tourist for like one week (unless youre a blonde girl), then you want to kill everyone.

Kashmir and sikkim are nice as well.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Fojar trigger warning: Brits fellating Shanghai's math test scores.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/05/world/asia/china-textbooks-britain.html

quote:

BEIJING — Educators around the world were stunned when students in Shanghai came first in their international standardized testing debut, in 2010, besting their counterparts in dozens of countries in what some called a Sputnik-like moment.

Now, some British schools will try to replicate that success by using translated textbooks that are otherwise all but identical to those in public elementary schools around Shanghai.

Starting in January, teachers in England will have the option of using “Real Shanghai Mathematics,” a series of 36 textbooks translated directly from Chinese into English. The only difference? The renminbi symbols will be replaced by British pound signs.

:lol:, chabuduo.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Known Lecher posted:

The education is so good that parents are sending their kids away to avoid the Gaokao.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Known Lecher posted:

I just assume that for these tests the students are handpicked and only select schools are allowed to participate whereas in the west, especially in the states, you have to include every school and every student, even second language learners and special needs.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm actually hoping to try gutka paan once. The last wedding we went to, here in the States, had a pile of paan but it had that sweet semi-sticky rolled dough kind of wrapper instead of just a betel leaf; I prefer the leaf-wrapped kind. I can get the betel leaf wrapped stuff here in my city but it's like $1.50 each which sucks.
Yum Yum!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

simplefish posted:

I don't bitch about it being the cops fault for catching me if i do. Also i dont get a ticket in the morning the go right out and do it again the same afternoon, like wtf is that avout?

Lol you just keep doubling down

Also in the US the incredible patchwork of different police departments and local cultural differences makes it really hard for people to know how fast they're actually supposed to go. Like a southern speed trap town or a rich Maryland suburb might have cops that pull you over for going 5 over whereas NJ state troopers regularly pull people out of he left lanes on the highway for *only* going 10 over the speed limit like some kind of pussy.

That's not even getting into actual speed trap towns where they're just trying to justify citing you for revenue purposes.

• Locked thread