Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I blame people like amazon for not always offering the option to specify delivery directions. I live in a house that has the main house and two so-called "inlaw apartments" that are still part of the house but have their own independent entrances. My door has the unfortunate situation of being in the back yard. Even when I can specify that my door is in the back yard, they will ALWAYS go to the front door first. If the landlord is there, he will tell them to go to the back, but he's usually not there so I always end up with a failed delivery notification. If the name on the box doesn't match what it says, maybe check the other entrances. It is not unheard of here and they should be aware of the possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I blame people like amazon for not always offering the option to specify delivery directions. I live in a house that has the main house and two so-called "inlaw apartments" that are still part of the house but have their own independent entrances. My door has the unfortunate situation of being in the back yard. Even when I can specify that my door is in the back yard, they will ALWAYS go to the front door first. If the landlord is there, he will tell them to go to the back, but he's usually not there so I always end up with a failed delivery notification. If the name on the box doesn't match what it says, maybe check the other entrances. It is not unheard of here and they should be aware of the possibility.

My pet peeve is "failed delivery." Unless I specifically ask otherwise please just leave it at the door. I live in a loving apartment and you can't get in without a code, there is a camera, no one is stealing my poo poo.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I get everything that isn't too big to physically transport by bus (or by cab in a pinch) delivered to work. It's just easier.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

I get everything that isn't too big to physically transport by bus (or by cab in a pinch) delivered to work. It's just easier.

That reminds me of another thing. I have a desk coming, delivery window "8am-5pm"... ok I'll just take off work to sit around the house for 8 hours.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Five words is like, the MAXIMUM "saying something to you while walking away" length.

Stop it with the long, meandering sentences while you're going up the stairs/down the hall.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That reminds me of another thing. I have a desk coming, delivery window "8am-5pm"... ok I'll just take off work to sit around the house for 8 hours.

It's no bliss on the delivery end either. Of course I always need a signature, and I work close to normal business hours so that means almost everybody is at work.

Fuuuuuuck I just want to empty my van and deliver this poo poo!

Seriously have stuff delivered to your work. 9 times outta 10, receiving or the secretary will sign for it and you'll get it pretty quickly. Just please be sure to put the business name and Suite number on it, because an amazing amount of security guards won't let me deliver a large box going to Jay Smith when it's to a 30 floor office building.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's no bliss on the delivery end either. Of course I always need a signature, and I work close to normal business hours so that means almost everybody is at work.

Fuuuuuuck I just want to empty my van and deliver this poo poo!

Seriously have stuff delivered to your work. 9 times outta 10, receiving or the secretary will sign for it and you'll get it pretty quickly. Just please be sure to put the business name and Suite number on it, because an amazing amount of security guards won't let me deliver a large box going to Jay Smith when it's to a 30 floor office building.

What would be the terminology for this? "John Smith c/o Business Inc."?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Then when you do stay at home you're waiting all day and holding in your poo poo and it hurts so bad but they're going to be here any minute! Then when you can wait no longer and sit down, THEN they arrive; and, since you can get up, you get the wonderful sticky on your door.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Doesn't work if you work weird hours (night shift for example), only a few hours a day, no one is allowed to sign for it other than the recipient (had an issue with this recently). Like the other dude said you really need to be able to leave instructions.

Then there's the driver I mentioned before that just auto went up to the door with the "couldn't deliver" notepad.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Five words is like, the MAXIMUM "saying something to you while walking away" length.

Stop it with the long, meandering sentences while you're going up the stairs/down the hall.

YES. People who do this need to have their lips stapled to the doorway of the person they're talking to. That wouldn't solved anything, but it'd make me feel better.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Brawnfire posted:

But if those five words are a question... :ssj:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The worst is if it's a boss/supervisor asking you if you can do something. It's always something you definitely do not want to do, but they are out the door/down the stairs before you can answer so there's nothing you can do (besides try and pawn it off to someone else I suppose).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The worst is if it's a boss/supervisor asking you if you can do something. It's always something you definitely do not want to do, but they are out the door/down the stairs before you can answer so there's nothing you can do (besides try and pawn it off to someone else I suppose).

Phrasing non-optional things as a question really annoys me, especially in a boss-employee setting.

"Hey, do you wanna stay late?"

"No, but I obviously will if you're ordering me to."

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

"Hey, you're listening to Every Classic Rock Station! This is Every Classic Rock DJ bringing you all the best music for your drive home. Coming up next, Warren Zevon, who was an extremely talented musician with many great songs such as 'Excitable Boy,' 'Lawyers, Guns, and Money,' and 'Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner.' Right here on Every Classic Rock Station!"
*Plays Werewolves of London for the millionth time*

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Intoluene posted:

What would be the terminology for this? "John Smith c/o Business Inc."?

Yes.

Or just

ABC gently caress All Inc
Pablo Evans
1235 W This Street
Suite 56

I wish there was a nice space for instructions, trust me.

Peeve: my pickup window is between 8am and 10am. Delivery has to be there by 11am. So I arrive at 8, and nothing is ready. I reschedule for later, which pushes the due time back, and come back at 10am. Still no one has the order ready. I reschedule as a final gently caress You for the last window, 3pm to 5pm, delivery by 6pm.

Customer is in a panic because they neeeeeded the order by noon and now it's 2pm and no one has it! BECAUSE NO ONE AT THE SENDING ADDRESS HAD IT READY FOR ME, FUCKER.

Being told "I should have waited!" when I have literally a dozen more 2 hour deliveries to make just makes me smile.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

yo rear end is grass posted:

"Hey, you're listening to Every Classic Rock Station! This is Every Classic Rock DJ bringing you all the best music for your drive home. Coming up next, Warren Zevon, who was an extremely talented musician with many great songs such as 'Excitable Boy,' 'Lawyers, Guns, and Money,' and 'Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner.' Right here on Every Classic Rock Station!"

There was a period not long ago where I would hear Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" at a bare minimum of five times a day. Didn't matter where I was, what device or radio station it was on, or who was listening to it, I would walk by and that piano intro would start up like clockwork.

I loving haaate Journey now.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

You Are A Elf posted:

There was a period not long ago where I would hear Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" at a bare minimum of five times a day. Didn't matter where I was, what device or radio station it was on, or who was listening to it, I would walk by and that piano intro would start up like clockwork.

I loving haaate Journey now.

This is me with "Free bird."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sweet home Alabama

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This "Grandpa getting a blowjob" picture that's used on every old person scamming ad on the internet bugs the crap out of me.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Phrasing non-optional things as a question really annoys me, especially in a boss-employee setting.

Ugh, this. Even if it is technically an optional thing, like family asking "Hey, want to pick up _____ on your way home?" when it's some non-essential thing that's out of the way.

I really don't want to because I'm tired and just want to get home, but it obviously makes more sense for me to do it while I'm out than for someone at home to leave, so "Sure! No problem!"

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

yo rear end is grass posted:

They tell the same story about the band too. Like, "Pink Floyd was formed in England and [some obvious fact that everyone knows]". Or just a simple, "That was Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd." Yes everyone knows it's loving Comfortably Numb. And I used to love that song but now I hate it and switch the station when it comes on.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I haven't actively listened to the radio in years for these exact reasons - the only good radio is locally programmed, and I thank god every day I don't work in a business that plays mass market radio.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is a pretty good Zizek video on this subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dNbWGaaxWM

Dreddout has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Aug 8, 2017

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Brawnfire posted:

This, but people trying to talk to me while I'm trying to walk away. Especially at work, when I'm clearly in the middle of something! I have a few (likely autistic) coworkers who are especially bad about this.

:j: *walking quickly, carrying something for a customer*
:downs: Wow you're all over the place today
:j: Haha yep! Lots of work to do
:downs: Well did you know it's National Turkey day, and the store down the street has a sale going on turkeys
:j: cool, ok, bye!
:downs: *jogging next to me to keep up* Yeah and it's funny because last week was National Ice Cream Sunday day, so they had a special where you could get a sunday for only a dollar and-
:j: ???I'm helping a customer right now but we can talk later okay???
:downs: *literally circling around me and blocking my path* -but you can only get that special if you're signed up for the mailing list, so if you go to the website and sign up-

Like... if someone is actively trying to get away from you, and you have to literally CHASE them to be within conversational range, MAYBE STOP TALKING??

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Thin Privilege posted:

Or just a simple, "That was Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd." Yes everyone knows it's loving Comfortably Numb.

I actually hate the reverse of this more, when they don't do IDs of "obvious" songs in ID blocks. Not everything is obvious to everyone! If you're doing an ID block anyway, don't just say "and then the Pixies" and assume I recognize it. Provide information!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Antivehicular posted:

I actually hate the reverse of this more, when they don't do IDs of "obvious" songs in ID blocks. Not everything is obvious to everyone! If you're doing an ID block anyway, don't just say "and then the Pixies" and assume I recognize it. Provide information!

If you don't know the Pixies library you deserve to get beat up in my opinion. Hell I'll do it right now!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
My pet peeve is people who assume I have encyclopedic knowledge of their favorite bands and musicians. Also people who think that you have to have encyclopedic knowledge of certain bands and musicians in order to earn the right to enjoy their music.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

heh, I bet you don't even know the first time someone did that. you can't really call yourself annoyed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Antivehicular posted:

"Man on the Silver Mountain" has been my favorite song since like 1995. I didn't know who it was by for like two years because my radio station at the time never did ID blocks on it, you can be sure that I ran out to Tower Records the instant they did an ID block on it. I'm cool with not having an ID block on everything, but once in a while it sure is nice. Then again no one listens to the radio anymore.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who have no common courtesy. If I make sure to be quiet when you're napping or sleeping because it's polite, why in the gently caress is it okay in your head to be obnoxiously loud when I'm trying to sleep? It's just loving rude.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I find it terribly annoying when people leave random out of their posts. If you're going to spend the time to something out on your phone, spend the extra 10 seconds to it before you send it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah that's true, I just meant the SUPER SUPER obvious ones, Rolling Stones is in this category too. Like, if you listen to classic rock and can't recognize Mick Jaggers' voice then I don't know what to tell you.

E: on the note of voices, I was shocked to discover that Dream On was by Aerosmith because it sounds nothing like Steven Tyler.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Thin Privilege posted:

Yeah that's true, I just meant the SUPER SUPER obvious ones, Rolling Stones is in this category too. Like, if you listen to classic rock and can't recognize Mick Jaggers' voice then I don't know what to tell you.

E: on the note of voices, I was shocked to discover that Dream On was by Aerosmith because it sounds nothing like Steven Tyler.

I never explicitly listened to classic rock so I have no idea which bands did which songs. Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Van Halen, Bon Jovi and probably others have all just kind of merged in my head into some supergroup or something.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

A lot of people make that mistake because that was before Tyler got into heavy drugs

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Acid Reflux posted:

I find it terribly annoying when people leave random out of their posts. If you're going to spend the time to something out on your phone, spend the extra 10 seconds to it before you send it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Thin Privilege posted:

There are new people growing up all the time who want to know this poo poo too you insular numpty.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Thin Privilege posted:

Who the gently caress can't recognize the lead singer of one of the most well known rock bands of all time?

E. this one time, I couldn't recognize the lead singer of one of the most well known rock bands of all time.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
When someone says "Thanks for the meal! It was delicious!" am I supposed to say 'you're welcome' to the thanks or 'thanks' for the compliment

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"Thank you! It was my pleasure!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

May Contain Nuts posted:

Who the gently caress can't recognize the lead singer of one of the most well known rock bands of all time?

E. this one time, I couldn't recognize the lead singer of one of the most well known rock bands of all time.

I cannot recognize Mick Jagger's voice or pick him out of a lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

When someone says "Thanks for the meal! It was delicious!" am I supposed to say 'you're welcome' to the thanks or 'thanks' for the compliment

Hide under the bed until they leave so you don't have to deal with the horrible ordeal of conversing with another person organically