Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Thanks, I did. Final specs are i7, 8gb of ram, radeon 580, 2tb fusion drive.

I did potentially open another can of worms because I ordered through the educational website. My wife is faculty at a major university so I hope thats enough to appease them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They did shrink the 1tb Fusion option down to only 24GB of flash though. Don't get that one.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Binary Badger posted:

I stand corrected

Either way if you want to future proof your iMac get the 2 TB+ option

If you want to future proof don't get spinning disks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

FCKGW posted:

They did shrink the 1tb Fusion option down to only 24GB of flash though. Don't get that one.

Because most people who order stock iMacs only get 8 GB of RAM?

24 GB SSDs are cheaper than 128s? Apple's bean counters probably ordered this because of all the money they were losing giving people bigger flash drives.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 1, 2017

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I really wish I could buy a longer USB-C cable for my 15" tbmbp. Granted the battery charges really fast but still I could use a bit more length. Really wanted that Anker braided cord to be legit since I have the lightening version which is great for my iPad Pro but too worried to use it on my 15"

Does anyone have the link to that spreadsheet with tested cables? Were there any longer usb-c cables that were approved? I guess now I have to make sure they can charge up 15" too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Housh posted:

Does anyone have the link to that spreadsheet with tested cables?

This one?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wJwqv3rTNmORXz-XJsQaXK1dl8I91V4-eP_sfNVNzbA/edit?usp=sharing

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Housh posted:

I really wish I could buy a longer USB-C cable for my 15" tbmbp. Granted the battery charges really fast but still I could use a bit more length. Really wanted that Anker braided cord to be legit since I have the lightening version which is great for my iPad Pro but too worried to use it on my 15"

Does anyone have the link to that spreadsheet with tested cables? Were there any longer usb-c cables that were approved? I guess now I have to make sure they can charge up 15" too.

Does the Apple extension cord thing not do it for you? It came with my MBA but they still sell it and I love that thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Does the Apple extension cord thing not do it for you? It came with my MBA but they still sell it and I love that thing.

I have a couple knocking around from when they still included them with old pre-retina unibody models, but you can get an Apple one for $19.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

tuyop posted:

Yeah I am currently using it but I still need length and I prefer to have the brick on the floor and a long cable into my laptop. I guess I can just extend the extension cord but was hoping for a 6m usb-c charge cable I can take to places with my brick that I can detach from the extension.

When did apple stop including the extension cord? I think the one I am using came with my 2006 mb.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I got the extension cord with my 2015 rMBP.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

loving Apple! :argh: I guess I'll have to buy another power extension cord for this dongle life style.

Anyways, I have some work situations that my backpack doesn't seem appropriate. Anyone recommend a light briefcase for a 15" that fits the charge brick and accessories? The Tom Bihn ones don't look professional from the pics on the site.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you don't want to pay the Apple Tax to have it look pretty, it's just a figure-8 power cable.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon-2-Slot-Standard-Power-Figure/dp/B006348FTA

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Housh posted:

Anyways, I have some work situations that my backpack doesn't seem appropriate. Anyone recommend a light briefcase for a 15" that fits the charge brick and accessories? The Tom Bihn ones don't look professional from the pics on the site.

I've used a smaller version of this for several years to tote around my Air. Never had a problem.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pivo posted:

If you don't want to pay the Apple Tax to have it look pretty, it's just a figure-8 power cable.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon-2-Slot-Standard-Power-Figure/dp/B006348FTA
Ha! I looked in my retro gaming junk bin because I knew I had a ton of these cords. Ended up finding another apple power ext cord that must've been from one of my sisters' old MacBooks. Sweet!

Weedle posted:

I've used a smaller version of this for several years to tote around my Air. Never had a problem.

That looks perfect! I wish it wasn't branded though. Maybe I can take it off.

edit: the price is really high in Canada. Anyone have experience with Samsonite laptop bags?

Housh fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 2, 2017

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Housh posted:

That looks perfect! I wish it wasn't branded though. Maybe I can take it off.

edit: the price is really high in Canada. Anyone have experience with Samsonite laptop bags?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DUGZFWY

Is this any more reasonably priced for you? Seems pretty similar in style and construction. The Amazon logo is just a little stitched-on rubber badge so you could probably remove it easily with a seam ripper.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have used lots of anker usb-c cables with my MacBook. all have worked fine.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
With all of the SSD talk, I've been wondering can you still run normal SMART tests on it like a regular platter to watch for degradation and slowly failing tell tales, or does it just die one day without any notice?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I had an OWC that died completely, my mbp failed to even recognize it as a drive. No warning given, just failed to boot one day.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

rdb posted:

I had an OWC that died completely, my mbp failed to even recognize it as a drive. No warning given, just failed to boot one day.

Yeah, but what I'm asking is - Was that your fault for not regularly checking drive health/integrity and seeing the red flags popping up - or is that just not a thing? Basically does S.M.A.R.T. work normally on solid state drives?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

eightysixed posted:

Basically does S.M.A.R.T. work normally on solid state drives?
You're assuming SMART "working normally" is valuable on HDDs, which it often isn't. Have good backup practices and run your storage until it needs upgrading or exhibits weird behavior, which can include (but doesn't necessitate) SMART warnings.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
From my understanding the controller in the SSD randomly died, it wasn't something that would have triggered a smart warning.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eightysixed posted:

With all of the SSD talk, I've been wondering can you still run normal SMART tests on it like a regular platter to watch for degradation and slowly failing tell tales, or does it just die one day without any notice?

SSDs still implement SMART. What is there depends on the manufacturer. Look for fields like program fail count, erase fail count, and uncorrectable error count.

E: and, what SWSP said. For SMART, working normally involves false negatives.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Fair enough :cheers:

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
What are the reliable vendors of replacement mac batteries? I'm looking to swap the battery on a 2010 Unibody MacBook A1342

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Boiled Water posted:

If you want to future proof don't get spinning disks.

This is what I was going to say, too. Especially in something like an iMac where getting to the disk is going to be an ordeal I'd go SSD only internal and keep whatever spinning disks in externals.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

fivehead posted:

What are the reliable vendors of replacement mac batteries? I'm looking to swap the battery on a 2010 Unibody MacBook A1342

Newer Technology or Anker.

https://www.amazon.com/NewerTech-NuPower-Watt-Hour-2009-Mid-Polycarbonate/dp/B0136RQH6O/

$92 bucks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This is what I was going to say, too. Especially in something like an iMac where getting to the disk is going to be an ordeal I'd go SSD only internal and keep whatever spinning disks in externals.

The hard drive died in my old eMac. I booted via Firewire for a little while, but eventually it went to a landfill. Because screw trying to open that thing up.

The iMac is easier to access (and safer) but still no one opens those for fun.

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011
I am looking at a late 2012 iMac (21") with 8gb of RAM on craigslist for $500. Is it worth buying at that price to do development work on? It's purely front end development in JavaScript, with a bit of working on web servers and the like.

I don't think it'd be under powered for the task, but is it worth that price? It's in nearly flawless condition with mouse and keyboard.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Utopian Mind posted:

I am looking at a late 2012 iMac (21") with 8gb of RAM on craigslist for $500. Is it worth buying at that price to do development work on? It's purely front end development in JavaScript, with a bit of working on web servers and the like.

I don't think it'd be under powered for the task, but is it worth that price? It's in nearly flawless condition with mouse and keyboard.

Yes. It'll easily fulfil those tasks.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

rdb posted:

Thanks, I did. Final specs are i7, 8gb of ram, radeon 580, 2tb fusion drive.

I did potentially open another can of worms because I ordered through the educational website. My wife is faculty at a major university so I hope thats enough to appease them.

I have almost the same machine but I kept the i5 (3.8GHz quad core) and went with the 512 SSD (with an external Sandisk USB3 500 GB SSD). It's been really great.

Just finished a 4 minute video project in FCPX and even with multiple Safari tabs and iTunes running, 8GB of RAM was just fine.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
So if Apple were to actually care about the Mini and announce an updated version of it, is there anything coming up that might be a venue for such an announcement? The September event is usually mobile-oriented so I guess next May?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's going to be an "one more thing" piggybacking on the new Mac Pro reveal.

the Mini is dead

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

With the Mini I can totally see them just issuing a smarmy press release about updating it to Skylake and slapping in the obligatory Intel low end integrated processor and making absolutely no other changes.

Maybe about the only other changes that might happen is that they do put in USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 because it would be too expensive to get a vendor to crank out the older TB2 chips.

It's sad that people still buy minis because it's the cheapest 'ground floor' entry to the Mac world..

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

It's sad that people still buy minis because it's the cheapest 'ground floor' entry to the Mac world..
The Mini is appealing to me because I already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse setup that I like. Therefore, the Mini would have been a good drop-in solution to get access to OSX in a desktop setup.

That said, the Mini is basically dead, so my only alternative is the $3000 Mac Pro that's over-specced for the stuff I'd be using it for. What, then, are my options? I could go the hackintosh route but that requires a degree of fiddling and faith that I just don't want to deal with anymore. The iMac is more affordable relative to the Mini but I don't need the monitor part of it. It feels like Apple is actively ignoring people like me and it's pretty frustrating.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

IAmKale posted:

The Mini is appealing to me because I already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse setup that I like. Therefore, the Mini would have been a good drop-in solution to get access to OSX in a desktop setup.

That said, the Mini is basically dead, so my only alternative is the $3000 Mac Pro that's over-specced for the stuff I'd be using it for. What, then, are my options? I could go the hackintosh route but that requires a degree of fiddling and faith that I just don't want to deal with anymore. The iMac is more affordable relative to the Mini but I don't need the monitor part of it. It feels like Apple is actively ignoring people like me and it's pretty frustrating.

You could always ditch the monitor you have and go with the iMac, the monitors on the iMacs are really nice.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GutBomb posted:

You could always ditch the monitor you have and go with the iMac, the monitors on the iMacs are really nice.

You can run a video signal from a Windows box into an iMac like it's just a monitor?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

You can run a video signal from a Windows box into an iMac like it's just a monitor?

Only for another Mac. Won't work with windows.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

Only for another Mac. Won't work with windows.

also they removed this feature in the 5k generation :discourse:

GutBomb posted:

this is a perfectly legitimate decision; you're going to get years of use out of the thing plus the screen in the iMac is absolutely loving best in class and will remain so for the forseeable future. the only things that are really going to outclass it are newer imacs and ridiculously high end professional grade monitors. it's not as if you're going to wake up one day and find that you can buy a £300 chromebook with a comparable screen; i think most windows laptops you can buy still ship with 1366x768 tn panels. the lack of target display mode is a bummer but considering how the rate of processor advancement is slowing down i reckon you could see a convergence between the lifespan of the average computer and the lifespan of the average monitor.

plus it's a mac so if you fancy an upgrade you can always sell it five years on for 75% of the price you paid for it to some loving lunatic on ebay

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 6, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Microsoft makes a desktop with a giant touch screen that can be adjusted to almost sit flat on the desk. It's not selling well but it's the type of thing that artists would like I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

i think most windows laptops you can buy still ship with 1366x768 tn panels

this is not true. unless you are buying some $300 budget af laptop, 1080p is the minimum and 4K touch screens are surprisingly an option on quite a lot of them

Mu Zeta posted:

Microsoft makes a desktop with a giant touch screen that can be adjusted to almost sit flat on the desk. It's not selling well but it's the type of thing that artists would like I imagine.

the Surface Studio is absolutely gorgeous; unfortunately it is very underpowered and completely non upgradeable for the extreme cost. i'm talking trashcan Mac Pro levels of cost + worse un-upgradeability. it targets a very niche market. and it doesn't adjust to sit flat, it does go down to a fairly shallow angle like a drafting table. since you are paying so much for that display and hinge, and it can't be paired with more powerful hardware, it's a bit of an issue. i do recommend playing with one though, the hinge and display is incredible.