Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

Don't sand. If clay doesn't do it, use a magic eraser.

Don't sand, If clay doesn't do it, use 3000 grit in the form of a magic eraser? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ratbert90 posted:

Don't sand, If clay doesn't do it, use 3000 grit in the form of a magic eraser? :confused:

Magic Eraser has been my go-to for a while. Since it's in the form of a pad, you can modulate the pressure application much better to spread out / focus intensity much easier than direct sandpaper.

Also, the sandpaper suggested was 2000 grit, much more abrasive than magic eraser.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm just going to accept that the spot is turbofucked and will leave it as is.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm just going to accept that the spot is turbofucked and will leave it as is.

I'm surprised clay didn't take care of it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You do get different levels of aggression in clay, so a mild one might not be massively effective without a fair bit of work. I have trouble telling whether that's in the paint or on it. I don't know how coarse a compound you're using, but frankly, I'd probably just go straight in with light wet sanding and then compound it back to a reasonable finish.

Or just put the spoiler back on and ignore it.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I am loving livid right now. Washed and waxed the Maverick for the first real time since it came back from the body shop, and I find this.

I got the car about two and a half weeks or so after the paint was sprayed, and it's sat for about a month in the garage since then just making completely sure everything's cured/etc. Am I crazy, or did that happen in the paint booth? If you scratch two stage paint after it's dry it should chip all to hell shouldn't it? That looks like someone dragged a knife through peanut butter.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like a scratch that someone slopilly touched up... Anyone around the car that may have made a mistake and is conscientious enough to try to fix it?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Spent a full weekend battling rain, wind and bad work conditions to do a full 2 stage polish + putting on Cquartz UK of my dads black V70. Good news is that it now look great, and dirt doesn't stick as easily. Bad news? Never again am I doing this under these circumstances (i.e not having a garage). Oh and I forgot to take pictures.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So this cquartz stuff is a replacement for a sealant? i assume you skip waxing too?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah. Supposed to last 2 years, and already makes a difference. It's nice seeing water just bead up and fly off as you get up to speed. I got some "Reload" with it that's supposed to work as a form of top up to be used once in a while. There's a wash shampoo thing that's called "Reset" as well, that's the preferred wash medium, but won't be bothering with that. All in all it was simple to apply, but the circumstances of polishing outside, having intermittent rain storms all the loving time and having to rush getting things inside just killed me. Been planning to do this for 6 months, so felt I had to do it after having bought all the poo poo. But sometime the only timing possible is bad timing so yeah.

Dads very pleased. Actually called me just to say that the car looked great in the sun when he walked up to it on the parking lot today so I guess it's worth it just for that. :)

Edit: Fixed some stone chips using "Chipex" as well. UK company. Worked pretty well, and the chips are now hard to spot.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Seminal Flu posted:

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like a scratch that someone slopilly touched up... Anyone around the car that may have made a mistake and is conscientious enough to try to fix it?

Nope. I saw my body shop guy at the car show today and he's gonna take care of it though, so everything should work out well. Thanks!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What are people's experiences with protecting a polished aluminium wheel finish? 1k clearcoat, 2k clearcoat, specific wheel sealants, something generic, some kind of specific industrial equivalent of "professional" wheel sealants that costs the same but for 20x as big a bottle?

Who's used what, and how was it for ease of application and longevity?

Seems some people say that cleacoat is a pain in the arse to get good adhesion on polished aluminium with, and a sealant is best. Any reason not to use, say, Gtechniq C5 for this kind of thing? They say "We do not recommend using C5 Wheel Armour on polished, unlacquered rims in countries that salt roads for ice prevention", and I'd imagine most products are similar in hedging their bets on that front?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Trip report:

Mothers trim restorer is very very good.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tell me how its doing in 2-3 weeks, preferably after a few good rain storms. That always seems to be the real test in my mind.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

What are people's experiences with protecting a polished aluminium wheel finish?
No one replied, so I've ordered some Sonus metal sealant, and will try that.

eames
May 9, 2009

What happens if I put Collinite #476 on a daily driver car that's only 98% clean?

By that I mean its as clean as I can get it without claying it, there are some slight fingernail-resistant traces of insects and sap that seem to have burned into the paint over the summer. I'd rather not clay & polish it because it's non-metallic black (never again) and I am confident that my end result would look than it is now. :v: I just want some protection so the car is easier to clean, not looking for a perfect result but don't want to irreparably damage the paint either.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What is the preferred product for tyres? I read something in my owners manual about not using silicone products, can't recall what the reasons were.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

What is the preferred product for tyres? I read something in my owners manual about not using silicone products, can't recall what the reasons were.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...ds=tire+cleaner

Enjoy.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sorry more meant something to make tyres look fresh and new after a wash.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do you mean like a tire shine product? there's tons of them out there, some are glossier than others but all work about the same

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Armor All aerosol tire foam is my usual choice.

As usual, being a detailing thread: No, really.

It's like the only product they make which I'd put on a car. I like the finish (not glossy), minimal effort, cheap, and you can find it almost anywhere.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't remember where but I've heard good things about the Black Magic line of tire products. They're readily available (walmart) and have a number of options for glossiness, application (pressurized, spray bottle), etc.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

InitialDave posted:

As usual, being a detailing thread: No, really.

It's like the only product they make which I'd put on a car. I like the finish (not glossy), minimal effort, cheap, and you can find it almost anywhere.

Seconding this. I'd call the finish "clean" but not "shiny". Easy to put on, no rinse required.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

InitialDave posted:

That’s what I use too. Be careful where you apply it though, it does stay on concrete for ages

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Armor All (including the foam) is too shiny for me. I prefer griots vinyl and rubber dressing, which has much more of a matte finish.

For the poster above asking about what happens when you wax without claying... You don't have the same depth of finish and you wax in some of the grit that hasn't been cleaned. It's not bad per se, you're just not getting as much from the process as you could. It's probably still better than not waxing at all?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just clay/compound/wax. I did it all for the first time 6 weeks ago, A+ would recommend.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
get a synthetic clay and do the whole car in 20 minutes after you wash it thoroughly. so much faster and easier than normal clay.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I've been looking into the synthetic sponge/mitt's, any recommendations? They seem much more efficient than the clay.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I got one of the griots ones that is a puck shaped sponge and I love it. I no longer hate claying and it's far more ergonomic than the normal stuff.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Any of y’all used the Mother’s speed clay pad yet?

I have an old Nanoskin clay pad that is about shot so I thought I might try this out

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If you don't clay/micro skin your car before waxing, you are literally putting your wax on dirt. :psyduck:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

ratbert90 posted:

If you don't clay/micro skin your car before waxing, you are literally putting your wax on dirt. :psyduck:

Pros: you'll really be able to see the depth of color in the dirt if you use a good wax. :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mat_Drinks posted:

Pros: you'll really be able to see the depth of color in the dirt if you use a good wax. :)

And the dirt will look like it's so deep you can reach into it.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Meguiars makes a nice time shine which I can't remember the name of, but it's grape scented.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

Bleche Wite and a plastic scrub brush. Spray it on the tires when they're wet, scrub the hell out of them, rinse it off. Repeat until the foam you work up while vigorously scrubbing stops turning black. They'll look brand new, but not shiny and gross. Make sure you give the wheel/tire and surrounding surfaces a good rinse after.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cached Money posted:

Meguiars makes a nice time shine which I can't remember the name of, but it's grape scented.

If you detail your entire car in just Meg's products, your car will smell like a tropical fruit drink. :3:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

ratbert90 posted:

If you detail your entire car in just Meg's products, your car will smell like a tropical fruit drink. :3:

Isn't that a great way for every bug in the same zip code to land on your car?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Decided to be nice and wash the wife's car yesterday because some loving youth :argh: (get off my lawn) dumped pop on it and it was all sticky. In doing so, the hose slipped out of my hand while rinsing the roof and I scratched up the hood. :doh: I polished most of it out but it was still infuriating since it's a 2015 and keeps having little things like that happen to it and gently caress it up.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

ratbert90 posted:

Counterpoint: the smell of their interior detailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks I actually went with the armorall and it worked pretty well. Can attest to all of their products smelling fruity except for the interior detailed which smells like gas.