Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Go then, there are other threads than these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

ZorajitZorajit posted:

It was better than Valerian.

Ouch.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Go then, there are other threads than these.

An the 2020 election is closer.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
They should've saved McConaughey for the Tick-Tock Man.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Someone told me this is "too campy", which is negative to them but a huge plus for me, is that accurate? The trailers looked pretty boring, but Elba reciting the code is pulling my interest . .

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

McConnaughey has some nice campy moments but not enough of them. Most of the movie is just exposition.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Roland has become the nicest person in the world apparently. Also, my friends and I can't think of how it got an R rating. Did they say "gently caress" or something?

edit:
wait, it is pg-13. I guess our theater had it mislabeled last night.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Black Bones posted:

Someone told me this is "too campy", which is negative to them but a huge plus for me, is that accurate? The trailers looked pretty boring, but Elba reciting the code is pulling my interest . .

McConaughey hams it up but not to the point where I'd call it campy. poo poo, if it was campy I'd have liked it. At least then there would have been an attempt at achieving anything with this

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

"Alright, Jake, let's teach you how to shoot"

"Never mind :downs:"

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

alright i'll pledge some money to your group

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 11, 2017

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Best part of the movie is the man in black's main kill move being to psychically command people to destroy themselves. "Stop breathing." "Kill...........each other." At one point he walks by a little girl and her mom in New York and says "hate." The little girl then stops smiling and her eyes go gray

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

readingatwork posted:

That's convenient, because TDT books where already my favorite "How would I fix it" subject.

For example, I wouldn't spend several books building up the big bad only to have him die of food poisoning having accomplished nothing.

You and me both, my dude. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Mordred should have been introduced in Song Of Susannah. Build him up to make him something to be feared. And then when you reach that point, then have him merc on of the major Kingverse characters.

gently caress man, build him up as a "false spoke" on the wheel of ka.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fart City posted:

You and me both, my dude. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Mordred should have been introduced in Song Of Susannah. Build him up to make him something to be feared. And then when you reach that point, then have him merc on of the major Kingverse characters.

gently caress man, build him up as a "false spoke" on the wheel of ka.

See, I like this. But at the same time I hate it because I hated Song of Susannah. I should really reread it though. It's the only book I read once and never touched again. If I can hammer my way through Wolves three times, I can get through Susannah twice.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Woke up angry this morning over how much the movie sucked

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SO I think I pin pointed what I hated about the movie most. And that was the stupid soda tax I had to pay for my Cherry Coke. loving IL. Hope I don't win the lottery here, because I'll never see dime one.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

I should really reread it though.

Mordred a hongry, come-commalla thankee sai! Chassit and the nineteen ninety nine.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Of all the ways to use the book's iconic opener, having it whispered over a black screen was probably the best this visual medium could have done.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Of all the ways to use the book's iconic opener, having it whispered over a black screen was probably the best this visual medium could have done.

Who's voice was it?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Who's voice was it?

Some random lady.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Some random lady.

They probably paid Kate Blanchett like $50,000 to come in for an hour and record it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I always figured that's how it was going to be done. But by Sean Connery ala Highlander.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

So is the movie good?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's not, no.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Saw it yesterday, Sweet The Man Jesus...

I think the thing that pissed me off after leaving the theater is realizing this movie doesn't know what it really wants to be. From the book reader's side it crams some of the more interesting bits from the 7/8 novels but without really embracing the weirdness. I get that it's supposed to be an iteration/sequel than a straight adaptation, but The Horn of Eld is never shown or mentioned. Also had my friend with me who hadn't read the books yet, so she missed out on several things that are referenced but aren't explained or given any details, most notably Maerlin's Rainbow, specifically The Grapefruit and Black 13 making an appearance and being used, but no one saying "Oh poo poo it's Black 13" or anything.

The only scenes I really liked were Roland gunslinging as Gunslingers do. For book readers though, aside from being able to play the game of spot the references, stick to the novels and comics, unless you want to see the entire series soullesly harvested for parts to cram into the body of a 95 minute action flick. For new comers, be prepared for a middle of the road action flick and to miss out on a bunch of poo poo.

Also seriously, Jake doesn't even get sacrificed or get to deliver one of his biggest lines of the series: "Go then, there are other worlds than these." What the hell!?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You can actually see the Horn on Roland's bag. They just never make a point of showing it or bringing any attention to it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The horn is in Roland's pack. You can see it sticking out most of the time. Never mentioned though.

Edit:
drat you!

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

You can actually see the Horn on Roland's bag. They just never make a point of showing it or bringing any attention to it.

Well I'll be, Thankee Sai, though you'd think that something that was part of their marketing campaign on Twitter would've earned atleast a "hey what's that?"

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007
I kept waiting for the Horn to be used to counter Walter's magic, it seemed like an obvious choice.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not an anime guy at all, but I feel like a gritty, ultraviolent rendition in the style would be the only way to do DT right visually. Imagine The Wasteland done that way. :allears:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

So I stayed until the very end and all I got was Walter's little whistle. I thought the movie was OK (myself), but I can't imagine anyone liking it at all if they never read the books. I like that he has the horn this time, but we're never gonna see another movie because this one was just not good.

So my fiancee and I just got back from seeing this. I'm a super nerd with a freaking Dark Tower tattoo and he's someone who has never even picked up the books. He knows a bit about them because I never shut up though.

He actually liked the movie more than I did. He was super engrossed and was talking about it expert on the way home. I thought it was decent, but nothing great.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Why is no one talking about the fact they replaced oy with a literal car insurance commercial. Because that was the only clever part of the entire adaptation.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

So how long do you think it will take before they remake this with a better cast and director?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think I figured out what was annoying about this movie. It’s a TV show. This could have been the pilot for an elaborate new HBO series. The pacing seemed rushed. Like during Jake’s first dream, when the Man in Black steps out of the shadows. It was a 3 second scene that lost all dramatic impact with a quick cut. Which is something you usually see on a TV show that has a hard stop.

Why did they make it a 90 minute movie? It’s not often you see a movie that’s bad because they didn’t film enough of it. Usually it’s the other way around.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The stories that will come out about the behind-the-scenes stuff on this movie will be fascinating.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

It's probably just the same old executive meddling story that's ruined so many promising productions.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Soysaucebeast posted:

So my fiancee and I just got back from seeing this. I'm a super nerd with a freaking Dark Tower tattoo and he's someone who has never even picked up the books. He knows a bit about them because I never shut up though.

He actually liked the movie more than I did. He was super engrossed and was talking about it expert on the way home. I thought it was decent, but nothing great.

I'm going to echo similar sentiments. Of the people I went with, one read the first two books, one read none of them and screamed in terror at the IT preview, and the fourth had never read them but knows a lot of the plot and the previous few days had asked me for all the hilarious details on the bad bits. I read the whole series because I like Stephen King's stuff and hate myself. The two of us most familiar with the books came out not liking it as much but the two who weren't so familiar with the books loved it and really, really want there to be more. Those same two also loved King Arthur.

What really surprised me was that it was only PG-13. A lot of people brought kids to see it and a lot of people had kids crying after that IT trailer. I'm pretty excited to see IT.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

RedSpider posted:

So how long do you think it will take before they remake this with a better cast and director?

Probably a very long time because this movie is going to bomb hard

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

It is rare to see the edges of something smoothed so glaringly, turning an acid western into a YA fantasy. It is not even that bad of an approach (blasphemous to the books, sure), it could've been done right - if any artistic touch was allowed instead of running a checklist of Things Every Franchise Movie Has.

Jesus loving christ, as if SKY LASERS weren't already a sign of a lovely movie, featured in every single superhero film.

Dark Weasel posted:

Best part of the movie is the man in black's main kill move being to psychically command people to destroy themselves. "Stop breathing." "Kill...........each other." At one point he walks by a little girl and her mom in New York and says "hate." The little girl then stops smiling and her eyes go gray

Someone really wanted to make a Preacher movie instead of this one

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 6, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I went to the Movie Spoilers page and read the spoiler for TDT. I am so glad I decided to skip this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

It is rare to see the edges of something smoothed so glaringly, turning an acid western into a YA fantasy. It is not even that bad of an approach (blasphemous to the books, sure), it could've been done right - if any artistic touch was allowed instead of running a checklist of Things Every Franchise Movie Has.

Jesus loving christ, as if SKY LASERS weren't already a sign of a lovely movie, featured in every single superhero film.

Someone really wanted to make a Preacher movie instead of this one

I guess MiB’s word power dies with him. I thought I saw the little hate girl hugging her mom in the aftermath of the earthquake. Pity for all the people who got the ‘stop breathing’ command though.

• Locked thread