Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Philman posted:

This game is pretty intense but it feels like every death is bullshit and i get the sense that other people feel the same way.

I rarely get the sense that i did something wrong when I get killed, just that the game decided his bullets will hit and mine wont.

this is a natural step in the journey of growing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
I've been getting a lot of connection issues this patch. If I didn't know any better I would assume that it's because their servers can't handle peak hours. Anyways, I'm sort of mixed with FPP and TPP. I like both, but the way everything is out of proportion makes it a bit surreal. Also, people with suppressors in FPP have a pretty big advantage in as it's a bit harder to pinpoint where they are because all your audio cues are a bit muffled. Personally, I've been using flash hider in FPP as it makes a huge difference in engagements.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
First person chicken dinners is like winning for the first time. So much more tense. Gotta keep chasing that high man.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I loaded in without buildings in duos fpp and I used it to walk between walls with an auto shotgun and avenge my fallen friend and then drive a car through buildings am I gonna be banned now? :ohdear:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

First person chicken dinners is like winning for the first time. So much more tense. Gotta keep chasing that high man.

Totally. A friend and I won a wild duo this morning, what a rush.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

happyhippy posted:

You US or EU?

Am in EU and it looks the EU side has a worse lag/latency than the US does.
So US streamers can ain and get one shot headshots, while we aim for the head from 3cm away and still miss.

i'm on us and checked my ping/jitter/packet loss after my games last night and i'm in the clear on everything. it's frustrating as hell because i don't play video games much but this one has me hooked.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ethanol posted:

I loaded in without buildings in duos fpp and I used it to walk between walls with an auto shotgun and avenge my fallen friend and then drive a car through buildings am I gonna be banned now? :ohdear:

I once landed with the houses not loaded in and only some trees.
I laid down beside a tree to wait for it to fill in, but was spotted and someone came to kill me.
I moved what I thought was behind a rock nearby, but then I warped a few dozen yards away once he started to open fire.

Things just then loaded in and the lag stabilized, and I was inside a garage for some reason, the guy was looking around the rock still.
He must have thought I was a speed hacker or such.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The game didn't let me report NateHiggers because someone else killed me. Report system still sucks

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I literally just had a situation where I thought two planes might hit. I'm only talking to one and I'm climbing him and giving him 90 degree turns and poo poo. My heart rate probably didn't go much higher than normal and my voice wouldn't have changed much. Hit the top 5 in this dumb game and my heart is racing I'm talking faster and higher than normal and I might be shaking a little bit after.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There's never going to be a practice mode is there? Dropping at the base or school and deathmatching is cool and all but I'm getting tired of spending 2 minutes loading for every minute of game time.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

nachos posted:

There's never going to be a practice mode is there? Dropping at the base or school and deathmatching is cool and all but I'm getting tired of spending 2 minutes loading for every minute of game time.

Never is a lil' too strong a word when the game hasn't even been released yet. They seem to have a gunrange for internal use based on footage, so I suspect we'll see something like it somewhere down the line

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Philman posted:

This game is pretty intense but it feels like every death is bullshit and i get the sense that other people feel the same way.

I rarely get the sense that i did something wrong when I get killed, just that the game decided his bullets will hit and mine wont.

No, you're right, it happens to me literally every single time. NEVER MY FAULT. I promise.

So does a double-barrel to the chest, lvl3 armor, instantly down everyone? Because I know goddamn well that there are games where I've had to hit them twice with the double barrel and they had less armor than me. I mean, I had 75% health, but I still feel like this is bogus af. And you don't need to comment on my crosshair being too low, I know. Edit; looks like a head shot, my helmet gets destroyed, but it didn't say that he head-shotted me. Level 3 vest is untouched. Amazing.

https://clips.twitch.tv/InexpensiveMotionlessWrenchYouWHY

Also, if you just want to skip to the end I've got some footage I think goons will enjoy. Sick fucks.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 6, 2017

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I can't wait for virtual reality to really take hold because this game will give me ptsd

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What is the fastest way to reach a given point on the map from the plane? Jump early and try to fly horizontally towards it? Jump as late as possible and fly straight down? Something in the middle?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Bold Robot posted:

What is the fastest way to reach a given point on the map from the plane? Jump early and try to fly horizontally towards it? Jump as late as possible and fly straight down? Something in the middle?

With a few edge cases, dropping as close as possible will yield best results

Closest you want to drop is 300 meters out if you're landing on the ground, 200-250 meters depending on the height of the building if you're landing on the roof

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Bold Robot posted:

If you're talking "plane goes from Georgeopol to Power Plant and I want to loot Severny", you're going to want to go as straight down as you can, hit the high-vehicle locations(or find one as you parachute the last bit), and drive there.

Other option is doing the max glide with the parachute where you open as soon as possible and coast in, but this is not as recommended? :shrug: Topography plays a big part in whether or not it's actually more effective, but that's a lot of nerd research for a video game, personally.

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
I won a solo last night, I landed at hospital alone, and looted a silenced Kar with loops and a 4x and a m16.
All the zones landed near me, and I only had to run for the last 2 cirkles.

The last guy was hiding behind a rock, but the top of his lvl 1 helmet was visible, so I shot him in the face.

It feels great but I do like duo/squad wins more, cause the I can yell at Goons.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

fknlo posted:

I literally just had a situation where I thought two planes might hit. I'm only talking to one and I'm climbing him and giving him 90 degree turns and poo poo. My heart rate probably didn't go much higher than normal and my voice wouldn't have changed much. Hit the top 5 in this dumb game and my heart is racing I'm talking faster and higher than normal and I might be shaking a little bit after.

Are you feeling okay? Do you smell toast? blink twice if you're okay.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

Philman posted:

Grimmmz, I didn't know you were a goon!!!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Are you feeling okay? Do you smell toast? blink twice if you're okay.

I'm fine. It's just funny that this dumb rear end game elicits way more of a physical response than a couple of GA airplanes unexpectedly pointing at each other.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

ethanol posted:

My friend got this last night also. I died early and was able to spectate him while he just drove a buggy through school and Rozhok. High point was him running a guy over while blasting through buildings. Then all his stuff loaded. He hits a wall, stops, and his game crashes.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0w1gpIlEPg

Soarer fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 6, 2017

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

RizieN posted:

No, you're right, it happens to me literally every single time. NEVER MY FAULT. I promise.

So does a double-barrel to the chest, lvl3 armor, instantly down everyone? Because I know goddamn well that there are games where I've had to hit them twice with the double barrel and they had less armor than me. I mean, I had 75% health, but I still feel like this is bogus af. And you don't need to comment on my crosshair being too low, I know. Edit; looks like a head shot, my helmet gets destroyed, but it didn't say that he head-shotted me. Level 3 vest is untouched. Amazing.

https://clips.twitch.tv/InexpensiveMotionlessWrenchYouWHY

Also, if you just want to skip to the end I've got some footage I think goons will enjoy. Sick fucks.

That wasn't even the double barrel it was the pump. Your helmet was level 2, you got nicked in the head and then you died when your teammate got knocked.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Lladre posted:

That wasn't even the double barrel it was the pump. Your helmet was level 2, you got nicked in the head and then you died when your teammate got knocked.

Just don't know why I went down instantly. Seems bogus to me. When I shoot someone with a pump shotty like that I die.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

I'm fine. It's just funny that this dumb rear end game elicits way more of a physical response than a couple of GA airplanes unexpectedly pointing at each other.

Didn't realize you were a traffic controller at first so it sounded like you were talking to and climbing around on the PUBG planes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pigbuster posted:

Didn't realize you were a traffic controller at first so it sounded like you were talking to and climbing around on the PUBG planes.
Yeah that post went from manic gibberish to interesting thought with one line of explanation.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah that post went from manic gibberish to interesting thought with one line of explanation.

Yeah, my fault for not mentioning that.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

RizieN posted:

Just don't know why I went down instantly. Seems bogus to me. When I shoot someone with a pump shotty like that I die.

Shouldn't have crouched to engage, you put your head into your center mass vs a shotgun, gg.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol like any gamer games on wifi.

You'd be amazed at how many people get defensive about their WiFi-connected gaming PC / console being just fine and there's nothing wrong with wireless.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

wolrah posted:

there's nothing wrong with wireless.

there are actually lots of things wrong with it

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

wolrah posted:

You'd be amazed at how many people get defensive about their WiFi-connected gaming PC / console being just fine and there's nothing wrong with wireless.

Someone will tell you have a mental illness if you point out their objectively worse gaming set up decisions. Though, I give wifi people a pass, because sometimes it's not geographically possible to use a cable unless they run it down their hallway, which is tacky as hell if you are a normie.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

There's 0-1ms of difference in ping with cable and wifi. What is so bad when using wifi? I get the same download speeds with cable on my pc and wifi on my phone even.. so if there is no difference in bandwidth and ping, what is it? Can the wifi's nature of half-duplex somehow affect gaming performance?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
putting aside the fact i do not believe that for a second unless you are using an insanely expensive wifi source and an insanely lovely wired one, many wifi adapters aren't rated for the speeds a modern internet connection can provide. also, wifi is subject to things like interference and stability issues and your absolutely-not-wired speeds will possibly be affected if other people are utilizing your wifi.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Packet loss is horrible over wifi, and that's far worse than simple ping issues. It causes all sorts of rubberbanding and choppy rollback, regardless of game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ihmemies posted:

There's 0-1ms of difference in ping with cable and wifi. What is so bad when using wifi? I get the same download speeds with cable on my pc and wifi on my phone even.. so if there is no difference in bandwidth and ping, what is it? Can the wifi's nature of half-duplex somehow affect gaming performance?

interference and lost packets me boy.

i feel like the first circle needs to do more damage. it's kinda lame people can loot forever in it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

cosmicjim posted:

Someone will tell you have a mental illness if you point out their objectively worse gaming set up decisions. Though, I give wifi people a pass, because sometimes it's not geographically possible to use a cable unless they run it down their hallway, which is tacky as hell if you are a normie.

There's always cable-running contractors, and running a single network cable wouldn't be that expensive unless your routing would go through concrete or something.

Ihmemies posted:

Mostly interference, so far as I'm aware. The old story is when someone starts using the microwave and your connection suddenly drops.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I use these to get my internet from downstairs where the modem is to my office upstairs.

https://www.amazon.com/Pass-Thru-Et...98WJKCZBPEPFXYM

Just don't actually use anything to plug into them, I just got these models because of the 2 internet ports.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere where no one uses wifi or anything that interferes with the 2.4ghz band then you will have terrible interference that changes all the time and causes really bad packet loss. Fine for browsing and video watching but not for a stable low-ping connection.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ihmemies posted:

Overwatch advises to use wired and not wireless.

As it causes players on consoles to drop from games, and you can get suspended from season play if that happens too many times.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you think they'll rescale player characters for first person? it's kinda weird they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Ran into our first probable hacker cause I don't see how anybody could reliably pull off 3 round bunny hopping bursts:
https://streamable.com/l6us0

Also we finally had some semi-interesting circles; this one came around the crashed plane: https://streamable.com/2b5a7

Groovelord Neato posted:

you think they'll rescale player characters for first person? it's kinda weird they didn't.

Player characters aren't so much the problem as the first person camera seems to be located in your chest, not your head. Siege had the same problem for a while.

• Locked thread