Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

I've heard this mentioned a couple times, how was it found out?

I had the misfortune of getting into an argument with her about self-driving cars, I think a Google test car murdered her family or something.

people helldumping/ poo poo talking about slashie in the past and TB says that she's been here the whole time and never did any of that crazy stuff.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678222&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12

So I guess her line is that that was just totally a joke but I guess you shouldn't admit to being a person if you don't want people to think you're that person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/893861309401497600

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

people really gotta stop doing the clap emoji between every word. it's not funny and it makes your message harder to read. also i've never heard anyone irl clap between every single word that they say, although i may be hanging around the wrong people

ugh its Troika posted:

lollin hard at Marvel's sales taking a nose dive after they changed a bunch of their comics to appeal to wokes

turns out the kind of person who whines about mansplaining on twitter doesn't buy comic books
i thought it was cool when marvel made Marvel Girl a South Asian Muslim living in nj, but i guess they got high off their own supply and got haughty about it. there's something about getting universal critical praise that makes people think they're invincible. see also: lena dunham and amy schumer

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uh uh it's actually good for multi million dollar organizations to vastly overshadow the voice and needs of the people by dumping giant wheelbarrows of money on political candidates. when Silicon Valley was rallying behind Hillary only to immediately jump in Trump's arms, this was a feature of how perfect our democracy is, not a terrifying flaw

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

loving liberals

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
if joy loves corps so much she should marry one

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

if joy loves corps so much she should marry one

remember when MSNBC got rid of all their black people

except joy

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

she's in good company
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/12/bank-reform-barney-frank-wall-street-213412
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/barney-frank-takes-on-bernie-sanders-and-the-too-big-to-fail-argument/
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/interrogation/2016/03/barney_frank_is_not_impressed_by_bernie_sanders.html

barney frank in slate article posted:

Chotiner: Do you think she should release her Wall Street speeches?

Frank: Yeah, but I don’t think anybody is really against her because she won’t. By the way, I think Sanders has been outrageously McCarthyite on that.

Chotiner: McCarthyite?

Frank: Yes, I saw one commercial that said the big companies weren’t punished. Why? Well, maybe it’s because Hillary is getting speaking fees. So the secretary of state should have been indicting people? I mean, yes, McCarthyite in the sense that it’s guilt by association. He complains about what she did with regards to all this money stuff. Where’s the beef of that?

Chotiner: OK—

Frank: What Sanders basically says is, “They’re trying to bribe you.” Well what do they get for money? He shows nothing.

There have been a couple of cases of Republican senators trying to weaken the Dodd-Frank Act. Elizabeth Warren has been a much more successful defender of that bill than Sen. Sanders has been.

There was this complaint, “Oh she had contributions from Wall Street.” So did Barack Obama. So does almost every Democrat because you can’t unilaterally disarm.

comedyblissoption has issued a correction as of 15:40 on Aug 6, 2017

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

barney frank posted:

But I’m very troubled by an approach to this question gaining currency among my liberal friends. You could call it a three-pronged purity test, and the goal is to prevent anyone who seems even remotely tainted by the financial industry from gaining influence over public policy.
The three prongs are pretty straightforward. Has a candidate accepted campaign contributions from banks, securities firms, insurance companies or investment houses? Has he or she worked for any of these entities before taking a government position? And even after retirement, has he or she accepted speaking fees from such firms—or, worse, gone to work for one? If so, such candidates are considered suspect at best, and frequently face what the law calls an unrebuttable presumption that they cannot be trusted to protect the public interest from the industry’s excesses.
On the electoral side, the fact that Barack Obama received an unusually large percentage of financial-industry donations for a Democratic candidate in 2008 didn’t keep him from doing more to increase regulation in this sector than any president since FDR. One of my biggest allies in the effort to secure a CFTC majority for regulating overseas derivative activity was Chris Dodd, who received more money from banks than I did.
The last strand of this argument is the devastating effect that will result if candidates for elective office are punished by the left for accepting contributions from people in the financial sector—or, since, the logic is the same, from any industry we want Congress to regulate. Even more than the other two I have cited, this prong of the purity test amounts to a self-fulfilling prophecy. Given our unhappiness at the disproportionate amount of campaign money that heavily favors the right, why would we insist on making it worse? By demonizing finance-industry contributions, we’re effectively insisting that instead of 80 percent of the industry’s contributions going to opponents of regulation, it should be 95 percent or more. Is this money corrupting? In my own experience, it’s more reasonable to see it as a form of political self-defense unlikely to dilute their support for reform. For liberals to demonize those who do so is a needless self-inflicted wound for their cause. And as I will argue in my next column, it also has another, more subtle and important effect: It contributes to the alienation which in turn depresses the voter turnout we need if we are to succeed.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Barney Frank is unironically arguing that democrats need to take wall street cash, because otherwise it will depress voter turnout.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
https://twitter.com/liberalism_txt/status/869034820072071168

The total raised by both POTUS candidates in 2016 was ~$2.35 billion. I'm not telling Zuck how to spend his money but he could really change paradigms and improve his "of the people" image by doing things differently.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Mark Zuckerberg is a lizard person and ineligible for the presidency.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/amjoyshow/status/893860488781508608

These people are just wanting to get their asses kicked in 2018 and 2020 do they not?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"the Dems are still the Dems" aka a borderline fringe party?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

FuzzySkinner posted:

These people are just wanting to get their asses kicked in 2018 and 2020 do they not?

Howard Dean endorsed the lib dems over labour

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

HIJK posted:

Mark Zuckerberg is a lizard person and ineligible for the presidency.

I thought that was a main requirement.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

just a reminder that the centrist dems have been getting wiped out over the past 8 years and just lost to a cheeto clown reality tv sex predator when they had a 2:1 spend advantage and overwhelming media bias in their favor

to claim that everyone needs to get on board and continue this failed strategy is insane

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

super sweet best pal posted:

I thought that was a main requirement.

the reptilians regard holding actual government office as a distraction from their true goals and methods, that's why they employ the likes of Clinton and Trump. zucc's new preoccupation is an anomaly

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

comedyblissoption posted:

to claim that everyone needs to get on board and continue this failed strategy is insane

And yet that is exactly what's going to continue happening.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Howard Dean endorsed the lib dems over labour

Howard dean endorsed an unelectable third party out of ideological purity "beyond ideology"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i've been saying to myself for the past couple months that today's DNC dems would throw the New Deal under the bus. now that Schumer has proposed basically a carbon copy of it, we'll get to find out for sure

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

i've been saying to myself for the past couple months that today's DNC dems would throw the New Deal under the bus. now that Schumer has proposed basically a carbon copy of it, we'll get to find out for sure

"IT'S A PURITY TEST!"

"CREATING THE FDIC WON'T HELP WOMEN OR P.O.C.!"

"TYPICAL ROOSEVELT BROS!"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i mean, say what you will about Schumer, the New Deal, and the Better Deal that he's more or less copying wholesale for 21st century application (and i do), but at least he's come up with something. the DNC will just look at it, ignore it, and keep doing their own thing

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean, say what you will about Schumer, the New Deal, and the Better Deal that he's more or less copying wholesale for 21st century application (and i do), but at least he's come up with something. the DNC will just look at it, ignore it, and keep doing their own thing

i mean id take the new deal 2.0 with some more leftism and minus the racism. the CCC is awesome thing and should be brought back.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

"have you seen the other guys hahahaha am i right"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean id take the new deal 2.0 with some more leftism and minus the racism. the CCC is awesome thing and should be brought back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Bill_of_Rights

There ya go. That's the new DNC platform. Something they kinda abandoned back in the day...

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Bill_of_Rights

There ya go. That's the new DNC platform. Something they kinda abandoned back in the day...

but would that solve racism!!????! :thunk:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

but would that solve racism!!????! :thunk:

THAT WON'T HELP WHEN MY KID IS SHOT BY SOME RACIST!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Aug 7, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Aug 7, 2017

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I'm...pretty sure the tweets fake

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/chelseahandler/status/894384283229364224

I agree Chelsea. That's why I think it's time you stop using a hispanic-american actor with dwarfism as comic relief.

hypocritical piece of poo poo.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/chelseahandler/status/894384283229364224

I agree Chelsea. That's why I think it's time you stop using a hispanic-american actor with dwarfism as comic relief.

hypocritical piece of poo poo.

That doesn't seem like a very good equivocation to be honest

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I, a person who has any kind of left leaning politics, definitely think the us federal government should be able to put more people in jail for what the government thinks is racism. I see no way this bites anyone in the rear end...except racists!!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

That doesn't seem like a very good equivocation to be honest

Yeah, it just does feel creepy though.

I'm amazed at how much of a nose dive much of comedy has taken since Trump's election and the sort of opinions we're seeing now. I guess John Oliver on his show tonight said something like this:

"He's [Trump] gone [on vacation] but your life is still a torture chamber of fear and panic."

John...you've not been effected in the least bit by Trump's election, and more than likely? The same can be said of your audience. You make 2 million dollars per year and have a net worth of 5 million dollars. You have complete freedom to criticize the leader of your country to your heart's content. . You're not someone being deported, you're not an lgbt youth, you're not someone who's poor and struggling to make ends meet Please get off the cross.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah, it just does feel creepy though.

I'm amazed at how much of a nose dive much of comedy has taken since Trump's election and the sort of opinions we're seeing now. I guess John Oliver on his show tonight said something like this:

"He's [Trump] gone [on vacation] but your life is still a torture chamber of fear and panic."

John...you've not been effected in the least bit by Trump's election, and more than likely? The same can be said of your audience. You make 2 million dollars per year and have a net worth of 5 million dollars. You have complete freedom to criticize the leader of your country to your heart's content. . You're not someone being deported, you're not an lgbt youth, you're not someone who's poor and struggling to make ends meet Please get off the cross.

true. but i like out of all the dipshits, i still like Oliver. he makes some good points on real issues and its not just "look how many jokes i can steal" or "look at me make lovely hot takes" like bee or handler.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true. but i like out of all the dipshits, i still like Oliver. he makes some good points on real issues and its not just "look how many jokes i can steal" or "look at me make lovely hot takes" like bee or handler.

He was really good prior to the election. Hell I even liked Bee's take downs of Ted Cruz and the evangelical right.

But the primary and the election of Trump broke that entire genre really.

also, pro click. holy hell.

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/894626202761273349

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Twitter can't go away fast enough.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
This is what I mean when I say that I'm worried the next gen is going to go alt right when their first exposure to leftist are these online dipshits taking over places for talking about kids hobbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

This is what I mean when I say that I'm worried the next gen is going to go alt right when their first exposure to leftist are these online dipshits taking over places for talking about kids hobbies.

my crazy theory is that this is why there are a lot of self identified republicans out there.

it's not that you couldn't sell them on various concepts like single payer and such. It's that the fact of the left right now is a class of people who are in the bourgeious or aristocracy passing judgement on others. Whether it's irrelevant woke poo poo related to entertainment or shaming people who have no money/no power in the face of climate change? No wonder our side of the aisle is completely irrelevant.

• Locked thread