Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grand Fromage posted:

I am looking for some books to read. I realized my knowledge of food is broad but not deep enough, and want to get into real detail on a few cuisines and learn more. I'm specifically looking for Japanese, Greek, Italian, and Mexican. I don't know where to start with this. I want to learn about regional foods and why things are done rather than just what to do. Like for Japanese food, I make a lot of everyday stuff and am good at it but I want to be able to put together stuff nobody's ever heard of unless they lived there or are giant nerds like me.
A few years ago...probably more like 10 now but w/e, mindphlux recommended Shimbo's The Japanese Kitchen. I bought it off amazon and they immediately started recommending anime buttplugs and gently caress pillows, so I assume it's pretty authentic.

For Italian, the standard reference is The Silver Spoon.

Do we still have a cookbook thread? We used to have a cookbook thread. It seems like we ought to have a cookbook thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It fell to archives, but feel free to make a new one happen!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I just tried to make Chicken Tikka Masala for the first time, and didn't come away very impressed with myself. I based it off of a composite of recipes and followed all of the shared rules of thumb, with some added twists. I marinated chicken thighs for a while in yogurt, lemon juice, salt, turmeric, coriander, cumin, chili powder, etc. Then I sautéed all the aromatics, added all of those same spices (plus some paprika, asafetida, fenugreek leaves) to the pan, let that toast a bit in the pan, then added my tomato sauce, cooked chicken, and cream. What was left was a dish that tasted like it had all of the constituent parts to CTM, but they didn't really cohere. Mainly the tomato sauce stuck out like a sore thumb, and gave the dish an odd sense that this was just tomato sauce with Indian spices added in- it didn't rise to that next-level poo poo you get at even halfway decent Indian restaurants.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get that inherent tomato-ness to blend in a bit more into the background? Is it a matter of picking the right kind of canned tomatoes (I used a 28 ounce can of fake San Marzanos and a raw roma)? It just ended up tasting like some weird Italian dish where someone accidentally spilled some yummy Indian stuff into it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
How much salt should you put in water for boiling potatoes?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Also do boiled potatoes have less flavor or nutrients than steamed because of what's lost in the water?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Potatoes are black holes for seasoning. I treat them like pasta; seawater levels of salt is too much, but not by a whole lot. The water should just noticeably taste of salt. Use just enough water to cover them and cook at a simmer, not a full boil.

Also, add a splash of acid to the cooking water. White vinegar is fine, I use rice wine vinegar.

Losing nutrients to boiling is a thing that doesn't realistically matter at all ever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Also do boiled potatoes have less flavor or nutrients than steamed because of what's lost in the water?
Short answer: no.

As a practical matter the flavour differences are going to be negligible compared to other factors involved in preparation. I don't know anything about the specific dish you're preparing or how sensitive you are to slight flavour variations but this is going to be true in general.

If you're worried about losing things like vitamin C, ascorbic acid, and thiamine (the `fragile' poo poo in potatoes that are most affected by handling) your best approaches are (more or less in order, in terms of impact on the content of the prepared potatoes): eating them as soon as possible (even if your storage conditions are ideal); preparing the potatoes unpeeled instead of with their skins removed; and using a cooking method involving shorter cook times like shallow frying instead of a slower process like either steaming or boiling.

Unless you're relying on potatoes as one of your principle dietary staples this is going to end up being rounding error and you really shouldn't fret over any of it.

How much salt you want to use depends on application.

Tendales posted:

Also, add a splash of acid to the cooking water. White vinegar is fine, I use rice wine vinegar.
If you want, on average, firmer potatoes and aren't concerned about them being firmer near the surface than the interior. If you're parboiling before roasting or something like that it's a great idea. If you're boiling potatoes for gnocchi or mashed potatoes less so.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It depends a lot on how they are cut and whether you leave the skin on or not, more surface area means more water and salt absorbed, the type of potato matters a lot too, waxy potatoes tend to absorb a bit less salt and a lot less water. Luckily you can season afterwards with table salt if they are too bland.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SubG posted:

For Italian, the standard reference is The Silver Spoon.

Is there another good one? No Kindle edition for this and I'm not in the US so can't really do physical books. :smith:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

I just tried to make Chicken Tikka Masala for the first time, and didn't come away very impressed with myself. I based it off of a composite of recipes and followed all of the shared rules of thumb, with some added twists. I marinated chicken thighs for a while in yogurt, lemon juice, salt, turmeric, coriander, cumin, chili powder, etc. Then I sautéed all the aromatics, added all of those same spices (plus some paprika, asafetida, fenugreek leaves) to the pan, let that toast a bit in the pan, then added my tomato sauce, cooked chicken, and cream. What was left was a dish that tasted like it had all of the constituent parts to CTM, but they didn't really cohere. Mainly the tomato sauce stuck out like a sore thumb, and gave the dish an odd sense that this was just tomato sauce with Indian spices added in- it didn't rise to that next-level poo poo you get at even halfway decent Indian restaurants.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get that inherent tomato-ness to blend in a bit more into the background? Is it a matter of picking the right kind of canned tomatoes (I used a 28 ounce can of fake San Marzanos and a raw roma)? It just ended up tasting like some weird Italian dish where someone accidentally spilled some yummy Indian stuff into it.

I don't see any mention of onions in there?

You probably want onions.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Sorry, that's what I meant by aromatics- I used a yellow onion, one shallot, one minced jalapeno and grated garlic and ginger to start off the sautee

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

feedmegin posted:

I imagine that comes under "all the aromatics"

I'm interested in what people have to say about this because the same thing has happened to me before when making curry, it tastes a bit too much of the tomatoes and not so much like a proper curry sauce you'd find in restaurants. I haven't really tried this out but I suspect that the amount of tomatoes in it should be decreased and the amount of onions sharply increased. Also I dunno if you did this as it wasn't mentioned, but adding ground cashews or almonds is very good

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jewmanji posted:

It sounds like you used way too much tomato, when I use tomato in a curry I generally go with some tomato paste, it gives you a nice tomato flavor without taking over the dish.

Jewmanji posted:

Sorry, that's what I meant by aromatics- I used a yellow onion, one shallot, one minced jalapeno and grated garlic and ginger to start off the sautee

Ok, that is definitely not enough onion, especially in proportion to the 28oz of tomatoes. I would use a small can of tomato paste and 3-4 medium onions, the onions should cook down a lot and basically dissolve into the sauce and act as a thickener.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tikka masala is not the best curry to complain about tasting like tomatoes: it's supposed to. Apocryphally, it was originally devised by someone chucking a tin of tomato soup over chicken tikka, when a Glaswegian requested gravy.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It sounds like you used way too much tomato, when I use tomato in a curry I generally go with some tomato paste, it gives you a nice tomato flavor without taking over the dish.

Ok, that is definitely not enough onion, especially in proportion to the 28oz of tomatoes. I would use a small can of tomato paste and 3-4 medium onions, the onions should cook down a lot and basically dissolve into the sauce and act as a thickener.

Hm ok good to know. So do you offset the absence of the tomato liquid by with a nearly proportional amount of water, and then go heavy on the cream/coconut milk/yogurt?

Scientastic posted:

Tikka masala is not the best curry to complain about tasting like tomatoes: it's supposed to.

I know it sounds a little silly, but just trust me that this doesn't take like it does in a restaurant. For years, as a little kid, I didn't even realize it was a tomato-based sauce because of how much work the onions and spices apparently do to transform it into something otherworldly (I wasn't that bright as a kid, but still).

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 7, 2017

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I'd recommend starting with just one recipe and following it, then working back from there to figure it out. When you make something for the first time I tend to feel this is the best way to get a feel for what you want from the dish vs other people's tastes. With that in mind, have a read of this Guardian article - I can't vouch for the recipe personally as we don't cook tikka masala, but I like this column's style of running through a few trains of thought to arrive at the 'perfect' recipe. You could also explore some other related recipes, like butter chicken, to see if tweaking that yourself gives you the flavour profile you're after.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I've got an incredibly dumb question

What part of a green onion should I be using? Like, I know you cook the bulb like a normal onion, but I don't know where I harvest the green part for maximum flavor? Is the part near the bulb? Or is on the other end of the stalk? Or do I just use the whole thing?

Additionally, if you guys have good suggestions for how to get good fresh green herbs to use, I'd be all ears.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Not sure if you're referring to a proper green onion or what Americans call scallions. If the latter, you can basically consider the natural color gradient a key to where in the cooking process it should be added. Closer to the bulb should avoid being served raw (though it is sometimes, and to great effect). By the time you're at the dark green stem, you should be considering that garnish (though again, this is widely preferential, dark green bits can be folded into whatever you're serving a minute before completion if you want to cook the rawness out a bit).

In short: there's no hard and fast rule or right or wrong, it just depends on how much rawness you're interested in.

Bollock Monkey posted:

I'd recommend starting with just one recipe and following it, then working back from there to figure it out. When you make something for the first time I tend to feel this is the best way to get a feel for what you want from the dish vs other people's tastes. With that in mind, have a read of this Guardian article - I can't vouch for the recipe personally as we don't cook tikka masala, but I like this column's style of running through a few trains of thought to arrive at the 'perfect' recipe. You could also explore some other related recipes, like butter chicken, to see if tweaking that yourself gives you the flavour profile you're after.

Thanks! And yeah, depending on the dish sometimes I do a bit of a survey of recipes when I know the end result can vary quite a bit (as in CTM or Pad Thai).

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 7, 2017

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I would argue the white/bulb part is the best part. I mostly use it for garnishing stirfries and noodle soups

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
For sure, I think it's just a preference thing. And if you are gonna garnish with white parts, it's a good idea to use a vegetable peeler, or cut on a bias very very thinly.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jewmanji posted:

I know it sounds a little silly, but just trust me that this doesn't take like it does in a restaurant. For years, as a little kid, I didn't even realize it was a tomato-based sauce because of how much work the onions and spices apparently do to transform it into something otherworldly (I wasn't that bright as a kid, but still).

I know how tikka masala tastes, thanks, I am British! And I make it fairly regularly. It definitely is tomatoey, maybe I'm exaggerating how much, but it's definitely more tomatoey than a madras.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Anyone got any good ideas/recipes for bison? Just treat like lean beef?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Jay Carney posted:

Anyone got any good ideas/recipes for bison? Just treat like lean beef?

I had bison tartare served with quail egg once. Do that.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

not sure if this is the right thread

This stuff. This stuff right here. I can't get enough of the stuff, it's delicious. Only problem is, I can't find out how or where to get a proper sausage of this stuff instead of it being presliced. Googling Wiejska just comes up with a wiki article saying it's a farmhouse-style kielbasa, but there's like a million types of kielbasa and every butcher's I've gone to say they don't deal with polish stuff. So if I want this in a traditional polish style, what can I do to get hold of some (other than flying to Poland)? I'm in the UK and I don't know how to find out what neighbourhoods in my city are Polish, Google doesn't turn up anything.

---------------

if I can't buy it already at a butcher's, how difficult would it be to make something like this fresh, at home? I imagine I'd have to buy a sausage-making machine, so it seems kinda unrealistic that I'd be able to do this at home. nevermind it needs to be smoked, I can't do that, drat.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 7, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

Hm ok good to know. So do you offset the absence of the tomato liquid by with a nearly proportional amount of water, and then go heavy on the cream/coconut milk/yogurt?

I generally go heavy on the coconut milk, I would only add water/chicken broth or stock if I thought the sauce was too thick, remember, onions contain a lot of water on their own, so you might not need to add much extra liquid at all. Another thing I recommend is adding your peppers during the last 10-15 minutes of simmering, it makes them much brighter and the flavor pops a lot more.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Q8ee posted:

Googling Wiejska just comes up with a wiki article saying it's a farmhouse-style kielbasa

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_n_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A340834031%2Ck%3Awiejska&keywords=wiejska&ie=UTF8&qid=1502142870&rnid=1642204031
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/default.aspx?id=264773694

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Q8ee posted:

not sure if this is the right thread

This stuff. This stuff right here. I can't get enough of the stuff, it's delicious. Only problem is, I can't find out how or where to get a proper sausage of this stuff instead of it being presliced. Googling Wiejska just comes up with a wiki article saying it's a farmhouse-style kielbasa, but there's like a million types of kielbasa and every butcher's I've gone to say they don't deal with polish stuff. So if I want this in a traditional polish style, what can I do to get hold of some (other than flying to Poland)? I'm in the UK and I don't know how to find out what neighbourhoods in my city are Polish, Google doesn't turn up anything.

---------------

if I can't buy it already at a butcher's, how difficult would it be to make something like this fresh, at home? I imagine I'd have to buy a sausage-making machine, so it seems kinda unrealistic that I'd be able to do this at home. nevermind it needs to be smoked, I can't do that, drat.

Find a polish deli near you. they should carry it. When I used to frequent brookhaven national lab in long island there was this amazing polish deli in riverhead. Such an amazing selection. Domowa is another great kielbasa with heavy smoking. Fresh kaszanka is also great, if you're down with blood.

Here's a shot of the amazing selection they had, but I imagine other eastern european delis have comparable.

There's a local german deli near here that has a fairly amazing selection as well.

ETA shots of the german place near me:

tl;dr go find local specialty delis they loving own.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 7, 2017

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would argue the white/bulb part is the best part. I mostly use it for garnishing stirfries and noodle soups
Yeah, the bulbs of green onions/scallions are the most flavourful part.

When I'm using the greens I usually just bunch them together, one cut to take off the very end of the green part (which is what usually gets limp/wilty first), another cut to above the fork (most but not all green onions split somewhere above the white part, and with them in a bunch just cut them so you get the most green you can get out of all of them with one cut), and then mince/chiffonade/bias cut/whatever what's left.

The main advantage to scallion greens is that you can throw them in raw and they won't be overpowering, so they an easy way to garnish with something vibrantly green, which can really help the other colours in the dish pop.

The Glumslinger posted:

Additionally, if you guys have good suggestions for how to get good fresh green herbs to use, I'd be all ears.
An awful lot of culinary herbs can be grown (in sufficient quantities to be regularly harvested for use) in a very small space. Many---rosemary and most kinds of basil, for example---are basically weeds that I end up having to routinely hack back because there's no way to consume enough to keep them under control.

SubG fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 7, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what kind of sauce to put on goat cheese and sun dried tomato tortellini?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Find a polish deli near you. they should carry it. When I used to frequent brookhaven national lab in long island there was this amazing polish deli in riverhead. Such an amazing selection. Domowa is another great kielbasa with heavy smoking. Fresh kaszanka is also great, if you're down with blood.

Here's a shot of the amazing selection they had, but I imagine other eastern european delis have comparable.

There's a local german deli near here that has a fairly amazing selection as well.

ETA shots of the german place near me:

tl;dr go find local specialty delis they loving own.

Fuuuuuuuck. That looks soooooo god. I used to frequent the German deli in Reno until it came out that the owners are Holocaust deniers. :(

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
How the hell do you make rice in a pan without burning it?

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Late to the potato party, but when I do boiled (new) potatoes, I toss in a bag of Zataran's extra spicy crab boil.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what kind of sauce to put on goat cheese and sun dried tomato tortellini?
Super traditional? Chicken broth.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Less heat, a thicker pan, and experimentation. My specific method depends on the rice that I'm cooking, but for basmati (my go-to) I rinse the rice until water runs clear, soak it for half an hour, drain it, bring 1.5x as much salted water or stock as I used rice (dry, by volume) to a boil, add the rice, lower the heat to 1.5 (on my stove of course; yours will probably differ), seal the lid, crimp foil around the edges to make a near-perfect seal, let it cook for 15 minutes, move the pot to a cold burner or a trivet and let it sit 5-10 minutes longer. Fluff it, dress it with whatever you like (tarka, lemon juice, whatever) and you're done.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I wonder if one of those instant pot pressure cookers would make this a lot easier. Even with one of these purpose-built rice cookers I have the rice on the bottom of the pot still manages to get crispy and burnt

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I wonder if one of those instant pot pressure cookers would make this a lot easier. Even with one of these purpose-built rice cookers I have the rice on the bottom of the pot still manages to get crispy and burnt

Are you rinsing the rice thoroughly?

And yes, pressure cooker rice is wonderful. It doesn't save any time, but it gives you an amazing texture. It's not really worth pulling out the pressure cooker most of the time, though, and it's often being used elsewhere anyway.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I use an Aroma brand rice cooker, I never rinse rice because i love the starch and I love my short/medium grain rice sticking together and I never get burnt bottoms

I should note that Koreans generally eat higher starch short/medium grains and the rice browning and crisping on the bottom that you want to avoid is something old-school Koreans actually looked forward to cracking off the bottom of their pots and eating like crackers

Out of curiosity... are rice cookers in Korea no longer toasting the bottoms anymore? I haven't seen it in a long time and I wonder if the toasted rice crust on the bottom of the pot is becoming extinct

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Uncle w Benefits posted:

It seems like most rice-staple cuisines have a dish or dishes based on the crunchy rice at the bottom of the pot - Persian tahdig, Korean nurungji, Vietnamese com chay, Spanish socarrat. Other dishes take steamed rice and intentionally dry out and caramelize it, like dol sot. So it seems like the layer of more-browned rice on the bottom has been with us since the beginning, and different people/cultures regard it as anything from a delicacy to a nuisance.

I bought a zojirushi like a decade ago so I've never dealt with it though.

So, uh, buy a rice cooker, deal with it, or learn to like it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The issue of Cooks' Illustrated that came out literally today has a whole section on basic rice, different kinds, different methods, different amounts of water, you name it. Definitely recommend it if you're having rice issues.

The crispy bottom is the best part though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Looking for a good savory marinade/dipping sauce for beef. I don't want anything sweet, and abhor tomato-based things (maybe I had a traumatic experience with a tomato as a child) so Heinz 57/A1 or teriyaki are right out, and BBQ sauce doubly so.

For a starting point, my current go-to marinade is a mix of soy and/or Worchestershire sauce, Cholula hot sauce, lime juice, and whisky (proportions: just whatever looks good, I don't measure), plus a liberal sprinkling of salt/pepper/garlic before and after soaking, then making an au jus (or thicker gravy, depending on the dish) with the drippings. Or make steak fingers by marinating in that, dredging in flour, and deep-frying -- it's almost like chicken-fried, but with the marinade instead of the mikegg, so super-flavorful.

Edit: tangentially, my doctor says I have low potassium levels and high-ish blood pressure. Anybody tried the various salt substitutes? Do they taste THAT bad?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 8, 2017