Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Picard Day posted:

1: Why the gently caress would I ever want to unify Japan? Being Shogun is awesome. Not only do I have no vassal limits, they are all stupid shitheads who constantly fight each other and keep themselves weak. Plus I get to be the ridiculous brutal monarch I always wanted to be in CK2 but instead of tyranny I get monarch points. If they could only import the execution sound fx from CK2 it could be perfect.

2: I was kind of a dipshit when I became Shogun and left the Ashikaga a couple provinces assuming they would become my vassals (this was a silly expectation on my part.) Obviously they immediately became Ming tributaries. Now it's the mid 1530's, they have 1 province occupied by Ikko-Ikki rebels, a distant capital on the other side of the island that has been under siege by noble rebels for 30ish years (not enough to ever progress obviously) and nothing else.

Is there any way I can get these guys without taking on Ming?

3: As Jianzhou and Haixi were immediately wrecked I ended up allying Korchin in order to game the tributary system and invade Korea. Will Korchin deliver the disaster and gently caress with Ming if I get them independent or should I start planning shenanigans to get Yeren in charge?

And last - is Spain or Portugal ever going to show up? I need some loving Christianity. Really glad at this point I didn't take Religious as an early idea group.

1. Your analysis is correct, Johan is bad at game design

2. Nope, enjoy your hellwar. You might as well take the Mandate from them if you can as you won't be able to once you convert to Christian

3. Any independent 300-dev horde that borders Ming will make the disaster start ticking

4. No idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Picard Day posted:

So I recently finished up my first full game
(as Ottomans) and I decided on something a bit different for my next game and took off the training wheels for Kirishitan Japan as Otomo. My first shot started well until around 1490 when I hosed a war up bad and Uesegi utterly destroyed me. My second time around I secured the shogunate faster (around 1475) and I have some questions:

1: Why the gently caress would I ever want to unify Japan? Being Shogun is awesome. Not only do I have no vassal limits, they are all stupid shitheads who constantly fight each other and keep themselves weak. Plus I get to be the ridiculous brutal monarch I always wanted to be in CK2 but instead of tyranny I get monarch points. If they could only import the execution sound fx from CK2 it could be perfect.

2: I was kind of a dipshit when I became Shogun and left the Ashikaga a couple provinces assuming they would become my vassals (this was a silly expectation on my part.) Obviously they immediately became Ming tributaries. Now it's the mid 1530's, they have 1 province occupied by Ikko-Ikki rebels, a distant capital on the other side of the island that has been under siege by noble rebels for 30ish years (not enough to ever progress obviously) and nothing else.

Is there any way I can get these guys without taking on Ming?

3: As Jianzhou and Haixi were immediately wrecked I ended up allying Korchin in order to game the tributary system and invade Korea. Will Korchin deliver the disaster and gently caress with Ming if I get them independent or should I start planning shenanigans to get Yeren in charge?

And last - is Spain or Portugal ever going to show up? I need some loving Christianity. Really glad at this point I didn't take Religious as an early idea group.

1. I asked myself the same thing when I did a Japanese run. It's great watching them kill each other for your amusement, and honestly the most fun part of MoH. Don't forget to cherrypick your generals for free!
(There's a few benefit to unification, like the ability to become Empire rank, and being able actually to integrate vassals, but overall it's still better to stay as a shogunate.)

2. You're probably going to need to tributary yourself to the Ming at some point if you want to expand without just colonizing way the hell away from east asia. It's the most annoying thing about the region.

3. The AI will never get that disaster to fire in a billion years, so you're going to need to find another way to kill Ming. They can't even manage a 300 dev horde in a vacuum, let alone an independent horde next to Ming.

4. They'll grab a few provinces in the spice islands eventually. There's also a Shinto crisis/event chain thing that'll let you convert, but it's pretty random when it fires.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 6, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dance Officer posted:

I suppose you had a string of very good rulers and really high gold income for advisors.
I did, I had a pretty good ruler (total like 13 points) who ruled for a while, then his mediocre heir died when he was ~50 and I got the event to allow a daughter to be heir - she got me the 5/5/5 ruler achievement and ruled for like 50 years, it was amazing. Since then I have had low legitimacy shitheads, but it got me to the Cape before Europeans so :woop: regardless.

Detheros posted:

It looks like Poland went with a local noble and Muscovy went ham on Lithuania, also Bahmanis winning thunderdome kinda early.
Yuuup - I am terrified to see what India looks like once I actually have enough boats to explore.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

England got eaten too it seems, maybe France?
God I hope so, I hate dealing with England.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

In my game AI Chagatai actually managed to get all the way up to like 350 dev, didn't slow Ming's reforms down at all.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
A problem is that even if a horde does get over 300 dev (not by any means guaranteed), the disaster still won't fire unless the horde is independent, and Ming tends to butter up their high dev tributaries to keep their revolt risk low so it's unlikely they will ever revolt.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Update on this bizarre Buganda / Victorian Three game:

William Wallace must have gone ham against England. I do not currently have the exploration range to confirm. Yes, Afganistan is a thing and Tabarestan is going for This Is Persia.

I went Economic => Exploration => Expansion so I am hunkering down in my third of Africa while I fill out my borders. I have seeded each of the institutions in a province bordering Lake Victoria for proper ~~immersion~~.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Every time I think of playing a start in Africa outside of the Ethiopian bit I look at all of the amazing 15-20 dev total states and just sigh wistfully because I can't bring myself to roll around in that poo poo pile, especially if you start as a tribal government (even more so if you're a ducal tribal government with a mighty cap of 5 states)

Just out of curiosity what's your highest dev regions? I know the Cape isn't too bad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

Every time I think of playing a start in Africa outside of the Ethiopian bit I look at all of the amazing 15-20 dev total states and just sigh wistfully because I can't bring myself to roll around in that poo poo pile, especially if you start as a tribal government (even more so if you're a ducal tribal government with a mighty cap of 5 states)

Just out of curiosity what's your highest dev regions? I know the Cape isn't too bad.
As mentioned, I've developed the poo poo out of the lake Victoria region because lol. Outside of that the highest dev areas are land I have taken from Kilwa. Kongo's land is meh, the Zembezi (Mutapa + Maravi) lands are mediocre, Cape is above average for the area. That is about it.

I was a little intimidated by the start but once I got rolling it wasnt really that bad. Yes, I did get lucky with quality rulers, but I feel that all that did was allow me to be a little reckless with no CB wardecs on Malindi and Butua once I had secured the Great Lakes region. Those no CB wardecs got me vassals where I could not core the land and you can core land off of vassal's land. I didnt have boats but I recruited a conquistador and marched down to the cape and could colonize it once I had a coastal core. I really cannot believe it all worked out so well (so far) when I went into it with no plan and not having played in the region much even and definitely not recently.

I think if you are willing to work with your Estates, disinherit bad heirs, and either take a ballsy risk or wait for your opportunity (I waited - I am bad at being ballsy but am getting more frisky with time and experience) you can turn any start into something manageable, and that is what I did here.

edit: I also mainly took land that I had fabricated claims on - only taking land I had claims on plus maybe 1 or 2 provinces that I didnt have claims on per war. Thus keeping rebels small, coring costs down, and Unjustified Demands costs down, which saved me MP for seeding institutions. I kept Institution Embracement cost down by only stating land away from the Great Lakes region very slowly/rarely and only seeding when I had all possible discounts firing - I took Economic first and filled it out as quickly as possible. I also mixed taking land directly and taking vassals, which helped with Manpower and balancing MP costs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 7, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I wish you could just generate a random world without having to create a custom nation and loading a game. Also that the flags were improved, otherwise its perfect.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:allears:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

A problem is that even if a horde does get over 300 dev (not by any means guaranteed), the disaster still won't fire unless the horde is independent, and Ming tends to butter up their high dev tributaries to keep their revolt risk low so it's unlikely they will ever revolt.

Even when you dismantle Ming, the tributaries stay. In the Russia game I reduced them to like 150ish dev and they still kept all their tributaries in south east asia. Ming had no manpower, not that much money left, high devastation, tons of rebels and I forced them to release some nations. Tributaries still didn't do anything.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

William Wallace must have gone ham against England. I do not currently have the exploration range to confirm. Yes, Afganistan is a thing and Tabarestan is going for This Is Persia.

Tabarestan growing big and strong has not been unusual for a few patches now. Also, tabarestan forming Persia is called Shahanshah. I will be seriously impressed if AI Persia ever manages to beat Ottomans, though.

Also I'm assuming England got eaten by Scotland and/or France, which is always pretty amusing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dance Officer posted:

Tabarestan growing big and strong has not been unusual for a few patches now. Also, tabarestan forming Persia is called Shahanshah. I will be seriously impressed if AI Persia ever manages to beat Ottomans, though.

Also I'm assuming England got eaten by Scotland and/or France, which is always pretty amusing.
This is true - I have noticed it happening a few times in recent games. Maybe I need to try a Shahanshah run - thank you for the correction.

I managed to explore the waters around England before my explorer croaked - it looks like Scotland has 80% of England and France has the southern 20%. England is now a Brazilian power and I think I will feast upon them.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

This is true - I have noticed it happening a few times in recent games. Maybe I need to try a Shahanshah run - thank you for the correction.

I managed to explore the waters around England before my explorer croaked - it looks like Scotland has 80% of England and France has the southern 20%. England is now a Brazilian power and I think I will feast upon them.

Some advice: The moment Persia forms--declare war. It takes a while for them to build a decent army and if you're quick (like finish the war in less than a year, stomp their tiny army to buy you a little time) you can steal a few provinces and potentially strangle it in the cradle. In my Third Way attempts, I was pretty reliably able to seize the whole territory that Hormuz is in with only like 12k troops.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Mr. Fowl posted:

Some advice: The moment Persia forms--declare war. It takes a while for them to build a decent army and if you're quick (like finish the war in less than a year, stomp their tiny army to buy you a little time) you can steal a few provinces and potentially strangle it in the cradle. In my Third Way attempts, I was pretty reliably able to seize the whole territory that Hormuz is in with only like 12k troops.

AI Persia is completely nonthreatening. It usually spends the game getting bullied by Ottomans and Russia.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Dance Officer posted:

AI Persia is completely nonthreatening. It usually spends the game getting bullied by Ottomans and Russia.

If you're Tabarestan and they form in 1450 with almost all of their provinces and immediately build up to a 25-30 regiment army they can be kind of a pain in the rear end.

Pro tip if you want to do a Persia game but some rear end in a top hat rebels beat you to it: you can directly annex all of the provinces you actually need to form Persia yourself, then feed the rest of their provinces to vassals in order to remove Persia from the map so you can take the decision. You'll now have cores on most / all of the provinces your vassals have so you can diplo annex them almost for free. Though this may obviously cause issues as that's a lot of territory to give to vassals in the early game.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

So I decided to finally give a serious try for Brandenburg and dealing with the HRE nonsense. At some point I became emperor and added in a ton of my Teutonic and Polish conquests to the HRE, then after Austria got it back, I guess the Livonian Order decided that being in the HRE was a cool thing, and they went after Novgorod as usual capturing Neva.

Fast forward two hundred years, Neva is an imperial territory, the Livonian Order has been eaten by Lithuania and Muscovy, then Muscovy decides to finally become Russia, and then decides that their capital should be St Petersburg. The most boring and possibly smallest league war that I ever experienced just finished, I become the Protestant Emperor and now this giant rear end loving Orthodox country decides that it belongs in the HRE. The nice thing was that it maxed out my Imperial Authority though. So...do I just hellwar Russia and try to liberate Russian Minors and turn them protestant?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

What are we supposed to be looking at here?

e: oh is it Polotsk?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

so if you change unit types it sets their morale to .5

if you do this continuously in the middle of a battle you'll have infinite morale

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

oddium posted:

so if you change unit types it sets their morale to .5

if you do this continuously in the middle of a battle you'll have infinite morale

Wait what? Won't you get routed or stackwiped immediately? Lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Wait what? Won't you get routed or stackwiped immediately? Lol

Slow it down, watch the combat tick by tick until your morale is under 0.5, change troop types, hey presto free morale! Yeah it's a lovely amount of morale, but it's better than 0, and you can do it every tick until the enemy, presumably terrified out of their wits by your shapeshifting, soullessly grinning soldiers advancing robotically over their own heaps of slain, turns tail.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Grinning Goblin posted:

So I decided to finally give a serious try for Brandenburg and dealing with the HRE nonsense. At some point I became emperor and added in a ton of my Teutonic and Polish conquests to the HRE, then after Austria got it back, I guess the Livonian Order decided that being in the HRE was a cool thing, and they went after Novgorod as usual capturing Neva.

Fast forward two hundred years, Neva is an imperial territory, the Livonian Order has been eaten by Lithuania and Muscovy, then Muscovy decides to finally become Russia, and then decides that their capital should be St Petersburg. The most boring and possibly smallest league war that I ever experienced just finished, I become the Protestant Emperor and now this giant rear end loving Orthodox country decides that it belongs in the HRE. The nice thing was that it maxed out my Imperial Authority though. So...do I just hellwar Russia and try to liberate Russian Minors and turn them protestant?

Lmfao. That's so good.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
so hyped for rum sultanate, hopefully they get some decent ni's, also ayyubid reconquest :getin:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

tqilamknbrd posted:

so hyped for rum sultanate, hopefully they get some decent ni's, also ayyubid reconquest :getin:
Who the what now?

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

Who the what now?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/developer-diary-8th-of-august-2017.1038756/

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Lmfao. That's so good.
And easily fixable by making soldier type change apply at the monthly tick, or assigning a cooldown if you're a jerk dev.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Holy loving poo poo they're finally fixing the Iraq-Iran part of the map so that it's not just 2 loving huge blobs there. I can't wait for next week.

Ironically this probably makes QQ stronger in 1444 from adding vassals and having fewer rebellious provinces under their direct control. I would guess that the same will be true of the Timurids.

They managed to avoid the whole "all of these minors powers are supposed to be QQ and / or Timurid vassals" issues by just making most of them independent, which now that I think of it is actually a fairly pleasing and sensible way of dealing with it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

Holy loving poo poo they're finally fixing the Iraq-Iran part of the map so that it's not just 2 loving huge blobs there. I can't wait for next week.

Ironically this probably makes QQ stronger in 1444 from adding vassals and having fewer rebellious provinces under their direct control. I would guess that the same will be true of the Timurids.
Yeah I'm pretty pumped. I'm wondering what kind of expansion will come with it? Mid-East content pack, and they will charge for events and content for all the newly upgraded stuff? Some new minor mechanics

RabidWeasel posted:

They managed to avoid the whole "all of these minors powers are supposed to be QQ and / or Timurid vassals" issues by just making most of them independent, which now that I think of it is actually a fairly pleasing and sensible way of dealing with it.
And whats cool is that since they are Hordes they can have tributaries, which means that those smaller states will probably fall under one of the larger powers just to try to stay alive, which in the end will simulate the historical aspect of them oscillating between the TImurids and QQ or AQ.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That area is my favourite area to play so I'm super hyped.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eej posted:

That area is my favourite area to play so I'm super hyped.
I just did Third Way and I'm not sure if I am happy or sad that the area is changing so drastically. Though I guess I still have Jihad and a bunch of achievements based in the Horn of Africa still on my plate once I finish that silly Buganda game that I have been posting about. Oh and they will undoubtedly add more achievements.

I wonder if any existing achievements will be easier or harder with all these changes.

I also wonder if they will fix the whole religious situation in Persia (it should start out Sunni except for Ardalan).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure that Tabarestan should also be Shia but yeah I'm curious to see if fixing the religious situation is going to be involved in whatever rework they're doing.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Poil posted:

And easily fixable by making soldier type change apply at the monthly tick, or assigning a cooldown if you're a jerk dev.

I was talking about AI Russia taking St Petersburg decision and putting themselves into the HRE from a series of unfortunate events.

But yeah, that switching bug could be fixed easily.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

so since the mandate of heaven expansion if i'm playing a horde in central asia or the mamluks i usually become a ming tributary until i feel safe, but i never realised muslims as far away as granada can become ming tribs (as long as you're quick about it)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

tqilamknbrd posted:

so since the mandate of heaven expansion if i'm playing a horde in central asia or the mamluks i usually become a ming tributary until i feel safe, but i never realised muslims as far away as granada can become ming tribs (as long as you're quick about it)

The fact that the Ming tributary problem still hasn't been addressed has killed the interest I had in this game.

I realize I can disable Mandate of Heaven.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's extremely rude they tied the bad mandate stuff to the okay ages stuff and the insanely good diplo menu

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Node posted:

The fact that the Ming tributary problem still hasn't been addressed has killed the interest I had in this game.

I realize I can disable Mandate of Heaven.

oddium posted:

it's extremely rude they tied the bad mandate stuff to the okay ages stuff and the insanely good diplo menu

:same:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Okay, I've complained about it twice now but literally every attempt I have at a Horde game ends in bankruptcy by 1500. Interest is too drat high. You don't make enough money off of war and razing to actually pay for the cost of waging war. Someone play a Timurid or Great Horde game and tell me how you make your economy work or how you afford an army.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Okay, I've complained about it twice now but literally every attempt I have at a Horde game ends in bankruptcy by 1500. Interest is too drat high. You don't make enough money off of war and razing to actually pay for the cost of waging war. Someone play a Timurid or Great Horde game and tell me how you make your economy work or how you afford an army.

As Timurids: kill all your forts, kill all your boats, hire an unrest reduction adviser (you will save money in the long run by fewer revolts = fewer losses = fewer reinforcements), don't bother trying to convert because it increases revolt risks and takes years, and immediately and aggressively threaten or attack Indian minors to secure the provinces you need to form Mughals. You can easily overwhelm Multan and Delhi, the only tricky bit is Jaunpur who can actually put up a fight if you give them time to ally with anyone, so you want to be very quick about thrashing the first two and proactively building spy network in Jaunpur so you can claim anything you may need to form Mughals. If you're still a horde by 1500, you're probably in deep poo poo so you want to form Mughals by then. There's no admin tech requirement to form Mughals, it's just get the required north Indian provinces and have 600 dev and then form Mughals. You will probably need a war against QQ or Uzbek something to get over the 600 mark so you can form Mughals. Once you form Mughals all your problems will melt away. What I'm saying here is FORM MUGHALS

As to Great Horde I have no fuckin' idea honestly, seems like a real lovely start. I hear Kazan is easier

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
If he's trying to get Horde related achievements, forming the Mughals (which is a really powerful decision) will turn you from a Horde tech group to Muslim tech group (aka, a monarchy,) and make you ineligible for Horde achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I wanted to get Great Khan but I'm gonna give up on it.

• Locked thread