Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Various people who are right posted:

We respectfully disagree, ya dingus

Well, poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

BlazeEmblem posted:

Look back at CptWedgie's posts in this thread, and re-think your statement.

You do realize this sort of "never letting things go" thing is exactly what I got probated for then, right? Admittedly in higher density, but still.

I mean, yes, I know I have no authority here so I can't actually threaten you with anything (or at least I can't enforce it, and everyone knows it). Just figure I should point it out before someone who DOES have that authority gets sick of it.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Honestly, they'd probably get sick of your posting before they look at others.

I don't think I've ever used Caeldori. It's strange since I do like Subaki.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

:eyepop:

Screw you haters, got a chuckle out of me.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

You do realize this sort of "never letting things go" thing is exactly what I got probated for then, right? Admittedly in higher density, but still.

I mean, yes, I know I have no authority here so I can't actually threaten you with anything (or at least I can't enforce it, and everyone knows it). Just figure I should point it out before someone who DOES have that authority gets sick of it.

You are a giant baby.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Aren't all boys your age afraid of one thing or another?

I'm like 90% sure Nyx was chosen because of hair color.

At least this is the last Hoshidan kid. Maybe maps will start to get interesting since Conquest kids go by Conquest rules.

Well, only fair since Hayato was part of Subaki's kid mission.

I didn't even know that any part of the Deeprealms looked so...ominous.
It wasn't this creepy the last time I visited Rhajat. Something terrible has happened.
We'd better investigate then.
Hmm. Yes, let's hurry in.

Oh look, actual consequence of leaving a kid alone for like 20 years.

Faceless, everywhere! They seem to be surrounding that house. Maybe even...coming from it?
What? But that's where Rhajat lives. It can mean only one thing... She actually did it.
Did what?
Hmm. There's something I haven't told you about my daughter.

Nyx, what did you do

Last time I came here, Rhajat was amusing herself with summoning spells. But she couldn't get them to work.
Hmm, I just can't believe that your daughter could possibly...

....Ooooh. Rhajat.

I get it.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. She's got your knack for magic. It seems Rhajat has succeeded beyond her wildest dreams.
More like her weirdest nightmares. We have to get in there and clean up this mess!
Come to me, my children! Come to Rhajat, your loving mother!
Seriously? That girl...she's dabbled herself into a very dark place.

Nothing but Faceless again, this time in swamp which is still tedious to get through. And worse yet, it's unlimited spawning of them until you either use a Dragon Vein to plug up a swamp spawn, or talk to Rhajat.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I... wait.

I don't see a green unit on that map.

Is she an enemy unit?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

BlazetheInferno posted:

I... wait.

I don't see a green unit on that map.

Is she an enemy unit?

Hey, Fire Emblem has made a recruitable character the level boss plenty of times.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fair enough. I suppose I'm not really surprised by it. I was just half expecting them to be trying to maul her for being dumb enough to summon the drat things.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Tae posted:

I'm like 90% sure Nyx was chosen because of hair color.

Also access to the Dark Mage line, that's just as important!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well now it makes sense why everyone was so keen to make Nyx the mother!

Also love that Hayato knew his daughter was getting into dark magic (in a world where dark magic is a real thing that exists, with observable and typically disastrous consequences) and just went "Eh, this'll probably work itself out." Then left Rhajat to her own devices for the next 5 or 6 years. The way Fates presents the Deeprealm makes the entire 1st generation less likeable by turning them all into comically terrible parents.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Also love that Hayato knew his daughter was getting into dark magic (in a world where dark magic is a real thing that exists, with observable and typically disastrous consequences) and just went "Eh, this'll probably work itself out." Then left Rhajat to her own devices for the next 5 or 6 years. The way Fates presents the Deeprealm makes the entire 1st generation less likeable by turning them all into comically terrible parents.

Well, except for Odin and Laslow, they were just incompetent parents.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rangpur posted:

A reminder: Tharja didn't let her daughter get into dark magic for fear of what it would do to her.

Tharja.

Fates parents are the worst.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

A reminder: Tharja didn't let her daughter get into dark magic for fear of what it would do to her.

Tharja.

Apparently it would make them into Tharja

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Tharja.

well, unlike Hayato, Tharja was raised practicing dark magic and hexes. She has first hand knowledge that it's a horrible practice. And she makes it known in a lot of her supports. Hayato on the other hand in an egotistical, childish, prodigy. He thinks he knows what he's talking about is true, he thinks dark magic is just like the spirit magic he uses. If the mothers mattered in the kids stories, Nyx would have either stopped or guided her daughter in how to use it, instead of leaving her alone to go omnicidal maniac.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cdyoung posted:

well, unlike Hayato, Tharja was raised practicing dark magic and hexes. She has first hand knowledge that it's a horrible practice. And she makes it known in a lot of her supports. Hayato on the other hand in an egotistical, childish, prodigy. He thinks he knows what he's talking about is true, he thinks dark magic is just like the spirit magic he uses. If the mothers mattered in the kids stories, Nyx would have either stopped or guided her daughter in how to use it, instead of leaving her alone to go omnicidal maniac.

This is not-Tharja, I think. She was never going to turn out a sane or well-adjusted person.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 6, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Cythereal posted:

This is not-Tharja, I think. She was never going to turn out a sane or well-adjusted person.

I don't think you have to spoil that when her name has already been said.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The sad thing is that the ability to summon an army of the dead would be incredibly useful for our heroes, which is why I'm sure Rhajat loses it as soon as she joins your team.

Really the whole Awakening reincarnation thing is incredibly stupid.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Really the whole Awakening reincarnation thing is incredibly stupid.

All the Awakening stuff in this game is incredibly stupid. Par for the course when everything else is, too.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So does being bad enough to produce Tharja-but-even-moreso make Hyato the worst of the parents?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Geostomp posted:

So does being bad enough to produce Tharja-but-even-moreso make Hyato the worst of the parents?

iirc
hes not (mostly) to blame. Blame the disembodied spirit of creepy stalker Tharja literally stalking the avatar/player.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, at times this game just feels desperately like Awakening fan fiction.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rahjat is actually not a terribly written character in japanese but unfortunately the translators decided to take a not terribly written character and make her terribly written

in japanese her basic shtick is that she actually really likes people and her 'basically tharja' shtick is just her pushing people away because she's self-conscious about her field of magic and worried she'll accidentally curse them or get clingy or w/e. it's not shakespeare or anything but it's at least a bit of depth and it makes her the only one of the dumb reincarnation kids to actually play around with expectations set by her reincarnation thing. unfortunately this is more complex than a tweet so the localizers decided to dumb her down into tharja but moreso, and also replace her fairly sweet lesbian support with wacky gay stalker.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 7, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Setsuna is too overpowered. A sentence I never thought would come to fruition.

So technically you can go across the entire, swampy map and activate Dragon Veins. This'll plug up the swamps and prevent the infinite Faceless. They respawn every three turns, so I guess this is a good map to grind on...except this is only available on Birthright and Revelation. You know, the routes with grinding available.

PSkill: Vendetta-When user triggers the battle, if they’ve already fought the enemy in the same map, damage +4

There's another way to prevent the Faceless horde and that's defeating or talking to Rhajat with Hayato.

Vendetta is awful for basically being a super conditional +4 damage when everything but endgame bosses die in two attacks.

Still better than Dywer's.

Aren't you proud of me? I've mastered the art of summoning! The Faceless just keep on coming. It's so beautiful!
What? This is horrifying! If you summon any more of them, we won't be able to cut them all down!
Huh? But I've only just begun. They're a part of our family, Father!
Listen, you need to stop this. Now! Please, Father knows best.
What? How can you say that? You know NOTHING about summoning!
Rhajat, you know that's not what I mean! Now, help us clean up this mess.
Fine, Father.

Easy enough. Defeating her here doesn't change anything, you still get her no matter what. By far the least strenuous kid to recruit when they don't start under your control.

I'm having Rhajat be an Onmyoji since she's already got Rend Heaven from Hayato.

Level Up Update

Hana-HP/STR/SPD/LCK

Dwywer-STR/DEF/RES

Keaton-HP/STR/SKL/SPD/DEF

Caeldori-STR/LCK

Selkie-HP/STR/SKL/LCK/DEF/RES

Shiro-HP/STR/MAG/SKL/SPD/RES

Saizo can't get a single level for crap.

Now, Daughter, I've never discouraged you from dabbling in the dark arts... But do you have to pursue the worst possible spells?!

You KNEW about this??

I have been working on a spell that makes a person taller and less baby faced.
What? Are you really?
No, of course not!

You know, at least in Awakening it's optional to have a kid as a parent back in Awakening. Here, it's mandatory...and you can't use time travel as an excuse for being suddenly thrusted into being a younger substitute....

Very funny.

Huh? No way! My next spell is going to be a hundredfold more effective!
Seriously?! What possesses you to do such things? In that case, I've got no choice. You're coming with us.
What? But this is my sanctum!
If you're going to keep at these studies, then I've got to keep an eye on you. In fact, I'm going to take charge of your magical education.

Oh, NOW you take control. Where was that the last 15+ years?

All right, as long as you give me interesting challenges, Father.
How about you start on that spell to make a person taller? That seems respectable!
Hmpf.
Pardon the intrusion, but I've got some great ideas for research. How about a spell that makes a person less afraid of the dark? Or a cure for crying every time someone botches his battle moves?
Who would need that—you?!

Is this the first non-parent/Corrine interaction between a Deeprealm kid and someone else?

I think he should focus more on being braver, not taller.
Subaki, I'm braver than you are!
Hee hee hee! I'll get to working on those spells right away. After seeing you in action here, Father, I can see how I can really help.

Well uh...at least she doesn't resent her parent???

*A moment later*

I won't miss it too much. It's just a home. The real darkness is inside me.

Wow. Really?

Gurrr...
Huh? One of my children lived?
GUUURRR!
N-n-no! I'm your mother!
Stop, abomination! Get away from her!

*Corrine slays the Faceless*

That was a close one. Are you all right, Rhajat?
*urgh*
You are hurt, aren't you?!
You...what's your name?
Who, me? I'm Corrine.

Where is this going

Er, yes?
Thank you for rescuing me, Corrine. I owe you my life. No one's ever been willing to sacrifice themselves for me before.

Uh...wait a second, where's your retainers? Don't these kids usually have retainers left behind?

Huh? That's, uh, not necessary.
You've got my full attention. I'll watch you like a hawk on a mouse. Forever and ever—until one of us is no more. And maybe then some.

This isn't exactly subtle, is it

*Rhajat leaves*

What a strange young woman. I guess that's just her way of saying thanks? Of course, she could have just said "thanks." Odd one, that Rhajat.

Ack!
I'm here for you, should you need me. My dark arts are at your disposal. I will be close as your shadow. Actually...I will BE your shadow.

It's like what happens when somebody just hears a meme about Tharja and missed the whole point of her.

If Corrine is the mother

Mother, I'm so glad you're safe! That summoning spell got a little out of hand. I'm sorry...
No, don't be. You escaped the mayhem unharmed. That's all I care about.
You're...you're not furious with me?
You really are the best mother in the world. So very...kind.
You know I'm not that fond of people. They all seem so...dull. Or maybe it's that I hoard all of my love for you, Mother!
Oh, Rhajat! Who'd ever guess that you're just a softie at heart.
Well, Mother, don't let that get around. People might get the wrong idea. I don't squander my affections on anyone but you. Not just because you're my mother.
Because you're...special.
Well, everyone's special in one way or another, Rhajat.
Nowhere NEAR as special as you, Mother. That's why I really don't mind leaving my home here—I can be with you! I'll watch over you too, like a hawk on a mouse. *leaves*
Hmm? I guess our conversation is over. She does go a bit overboard sometimes, but she really is good at heart.
And who couldn't love someone so truly unique in all the worlds? That Rhajat...
You summoned me, Mother?
Ack!
I'm here for you, should you need me. I'll be as close as your shadow. Actually...I will BE your shadow!

Unit Joined

Rhajat

Class sets: Starts as Diviner, Dark Mage, Oni Savage
PSkill: Vendetta-When user triggers the battle, if they’ve already fought the enemy in the same map, damage +4

Growth Rates
HP: 35
STR: 10
MAG: 75
SKL: 32.5
SPD: 65
LCK: 25
DEF: 20
RES: 47.5

Rhajat is slightly better than Nyx, with benefits of having Rend Heaven in stock. That's...about it. She's otherwise just a Nyx clone. She does have class options into other classes that massively improve her HP, but anyone benefits from that so it's not exactly a positive.

H-hey...! Come back here! Am I really...y-younger?

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Tae posted:

H-hey...! Come back here! Am I really...y-younger?

Rangpur posted:

^^^^^^^^

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
The variant where the Avatar is Rhajat's mother makes her about ten times creepier, I'd say. And Tharja creeps me out already.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You're so cute when you pretend to be terrified of me. Heh, heh...

Well, if you picked Birthright because you wanted to marry girl x girl...uh, here you go?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

So here we get to the worst thing the translation did.

In the JP version, the gay supports (Rahjat/F!Corrin and Niles/M!Corrin) had their own dialogues. In both cases they actually discuss homosexuality a bit - IIRC Corrin just straightup asks if Niles is into men and Niles says yes, and in the case of the Rahjat support Rahjat actually feels very awkward about hitting on another woman and wonders if Corrin would prefer a man, which Corrin responds to by saying she prefers women. The stalking stuff is also very downplayed - Corrin is never made uncomfortable by Rahjat, is mostly just confused by her, and the two bond over Rahjat's insecurities.

For whatever reason - laziness, 'having unique dialogue is homophobic!,' an honest mistake of some kind, these supports were completely removed in the translation. The gay supports are exactly the same as the straight supports.

It's funny that people complain about the lack of facepetting or elise's 'technically an adult' thing as proof this game's tl is censored garbage when it pulls horror show poo poo like that and nobody seems to care. It's also funny that they bothered to do that but didn't change the fact that gay marriage means you don't get any kids. So you miss out on Kanna, plus Ophelia if you're a guy marrying Niles. Priorities.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 7, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Endorph posted:

So here we get to the worst thing the translation did.

In the JP version, the gay supports (Rahjat/F!Corrin and Niles/M!Corrin) had their own dialogues. In both cases they actually discuss homosexuality a bit - IIRC Corrin just straightup asks if Niles is into men and Niles says yes, and in the case of the Rahjat support Rahjat actually feels very awkward about hitting on another woman and wonders if Corrin would prefer a man, which Corrin responds to by saying she prefers women. The stalking stuff is also very downplayed - Corrin is never made uncomfortable by Rahjat, is mostly just confused by her, and the two bond over Rahjat's insecurities.

For whatever reason - laziness, 'having unique dialogue is homophobic!,' an honest mistake of some kind, these supports were completely removed in the translation. The gay supports are exactly the same as the straight supports.

It's funny that people complain about the lack of facepetting or elise's 'technically an adult' thing as proof this game's tl is censored garbage when it pulls horror show poo poo like that and nobody seems to care. It's also funny that they bothered to do that but didn't change the fact that gay marriage means you don't get any kids. So you miss out on Kanna, plus Ophelia if you're a guy marrying Niles. Priorities.

Nina, not Ophelia. Ophelia is Odin's kid. But seriously, what the hell with the changes?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I suspect a large part of it has to do with how homosexuality is increasingly accepted and treated nonchalantly in the West. You're queer, they're queer, no need to make a big deal about it. Whereas as I understand it, Japan is far less open and accepting about it so it's worth addressing.

Not saying I think they handled it gracefully - the writing's as awful as most of this game - but I if that was their reasoning I can understand why they'd do it that way.

Personally, I dislike Rahjat/Tharja quite a bit regardless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, maybe it's just where I grew up but I definitely needed to have the Gay Conversation with more than one potential partner. not to mention the fact that fire emblem takes place in a medieval fantasy world and Rahjat is even fantasy Japanese. I think people would understand two characters discussing their sexuality.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Now it's time for Nohrian kids. Xander's up.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Hinoka

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Charlotte needs to succeed at her dreams

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 7, 2017

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I could've sworn she was taken already.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

Charlotte needs to succeed at her dreams

Agreed, Charlotte.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Hinoka. I like their A support.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Charlotte seems as good a wife as any.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Charlotte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Shame polygamy isn't kosher here. Mozu should bring both countries together by bagging Xander too and ruling as their queen.

• Locked thread