Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Guardian is extremely cool, and strong, and my friend

(solaris lorica of shame)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks to whoever told me to grab some Zombros while I level an SRS build. I am steamrolling everything. I find it difficult to see what gear is a direct upgrade though. I understand the gems and linking and stuff, but what stats do I want since I'm not the one doing damage?

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
What's the ideal 4l setup for scorching ray while leveling?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I'm finding the new content pretty good, but the boss fights are almost uncomfortably intense. I like the mechanics of them, but there are a lot of instances of bullshit burst damage, almost every few seconds. If I'm not hammering my potion key I loving die. It's never in one hit, but one hit usually gets me down to numbers where a second hit will kill me. I should reiterate that I'm only talking about the god boss fights.

Laser spider is a good example. She has that grid of lasers that basically make you run directly at her, but she also has a shotgun laser attack that can kill you in about 3-4 hits. If the timing works out such that she's doing a shotgun attack when laser grid herds you towards her, you're just hosed.

That seven minutes in heaven with Brine King though, that was something completely different. I was so tense by the end of that fight. Brine King just wants a hug. :(

One thing that bothers me about the new difficulty set up is that I won't be able to farm these boss fights when I hit end game. :( The mechanics are super good and could work at any difficulty I imagine. I'd at least like to see some sort of way to revisit these boss fights at increased difficulty. (If there is one, someone correct me.)

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 6, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sounds like you're severely lacking in damage. Brine King is maybe a two minute fight.

Anarkii posted:

What's the ideal 4l setup for scorching ray while leveling?

What's the plan, RF + SR, Firestorm + SR, or something else?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sounds like you're severely lacking in damage. Brine King is maybe a two minute fight.

Seven minutes in heaven is an expression for kids that lock themselves in a closet. It was about a two minute fight. (It felt longer though, holy poo poo.)

Edit: vvvvv I definitely agree. Like I said I do enjoy them. Brine King is probably one of my favorite boss fights in any action RPG ever. (I just started Act 8 though, so something better might happen.)

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 6, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arsonide posted:

Seven minutes in heaven is an expression for kids that lock themselves in a closet. It was about a two minute fight. (It felt longer though, holy poo poo.)
It felt fairly claustrophobic to me, but I was genuinely impressed with the fight. 2nd fight I'd remember answering "favourite Fall of Oriath boss fights so far".

E: Also yeah that idiom went over my head.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 6, 2017

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Arsonide posted:

One thing that bothers me about the new difficulty set up is that I won't be able to farm these boss fights when I hit end game. :( The mechanics are super good and could work at any difficulty I imagine. I'd at least like to see some sort of way to revisit these boss fights at increased difficulty. (If there is one, someone correct me.)

Based on GGG's previous design choices, I would guess that next time they update the atlas, they will add the new bosses to the top tier maps. They've said a number of times that their biggest thing is clever re-use of content, so it seems kind of inevitable. I heard a rumor that they're updating the atlas in 3.1, so that would be about 3 months from now.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Unlucky7 posted:

I am still farting along Act 1 and I think I am near the end of it. Dumb story questions: Did I miss any dialogs with the town crew about who Piety actually is around the time she shows up? It is weird to see them act like she was always a known quantity in the dialogs that I did catch, which makes me think I missed a midquest one. Then again, no one is talking about the traveling priest that may or may not be going insane or the half dead seer, so v:v:v...

Also, Bestel is my homeboy.

You haven't missed anything. The prison is the first time you meet her, but she's one of the Empire's lackeys, and most of the NPCs know her from Oriath. Piety's backstory comes out in Act 3, when one of the NPCs there opens up to you. They've added and changed some of the early acts' dialogue in 3.0, and it creates some situations where you're like "Am I supposed to know this person?"

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Katasi posted:

Based on GGG's previous design choices, I would guess that next time they update the atlas, they will add the new bosses to the top tier maps. They've said a number of times that their biggest thing is clever re-use of content, so it seems kind of inevitable. I heard a rumor that they're updating the atlas in 3.1, so that would be about 3 months from now.

I'm looking forward to tier 16+ Emperor Avarius fight.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can I get a link on the go to summoner build for new leagues please.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Invite Mudklip to any of the guilds please.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Oh man I'm already two days late to the party :v: Totally forgot five new acts were coming! What is the hot new starter build of this game?

Gotta get to the guild then (if there's anymore space) and get on grinding

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ihmemies posted:

Oh man I'm already two days late to the party :v: Totally forgot five new acts were coming! What is the hot new starter build of this game?

Gotta get to the guild then (if there's anymore space) and get on grinding

SRS or Sunder, and there's not in the main guild but there's an overflow one

(p.s. invite to same_ehit_different_day please)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How long does it usually take people to get into a "grass is greener" mindset and think about what other builds you could roll up next?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

For me it was usually by about level 70-75 depending on how well I was doing at endgame. Dunno how far I'd get nowadays.

Still planning to come back and start playing again but I'm presently addicted to FFXIV, gotta wean myself off that first :(

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How long does it usually take people to get into a "grass is greener" mindset and think about what other builds you could roll up next?

It was about lvl 60 for me :v:

I went into Act 8 with my Sunder Slayer, was unsatisfied with it and was dying a lot, feel like the game hate melee builds

Switched to a Spectral Throw Raider, I'm having a lot more fun and not dying as much

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Level 90 or bust.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm nearly 50 with searing ray and its fun but I feel like my gear must be awful

except I don't really know a good way to regear, a lot of what I picked is becaus of the gem links

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm already thinking I should have rolled something else by the time I get to Hillock.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

eonwe posted:

I'm nearly 50 with searing ray and its fun but I feel like my gear must be awful

except I don't really know a good way to regear, a lot of what I picked is becaus of the gem links

At least two of my current (L64) gear pieces were made with an orb of binding and "it's basically impossible for the new item to get worse mods than the one I already have"

But my boots are still some magic thing I found in like act 2.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 6, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Qwertycoatl posted:

At least two of my current (L64) gear pieces were made with an orb of binding and "it's basically impossible for the new item to get worse mods than the one I already have"

I'll take a look and see what I have. I've collected all the fragments and orbs and stuff since I started levelling and threw them in my stash

NO BEN
Jul 27, 2007
Can I get a guild invite on Whahappon please?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

eonwe posted:

SR just took down Shaper deathless, you're gonna be good heh

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Could you make a decent build by speccing for block chance and using reckoning or is that a stupid idea?

The idea of killing with automatic counter attacks amuses me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
okay I just figured out what I was missing

Curse on Hit + Flammability + Orb of Storms + Elemental Equilubrium

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
love my weak auras. Icon by itself is arcane surge buff

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm really worried about when this melee difficulty I've heard about kicks in, because right now (act 6) my cyclone build is tearing through almost everything and I'm practically on autopilot. All my gear is two acts out of date and it doesn't even matter because outside of a few nasty bossfights I'm unkillable and everything dies in seconds.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Peewi posted:

Could you make a decent build by speccing for block chance and using reckoning or is that a stupid idea?

The idea of killing with automatic counter attacks amuses me.

Block maxes out at 75% (78% with The Anvil) and Reckoning has a 400ms cooldown.

It's a pretty stupid idea.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
I just attempted to sell a helmet with 87 life, 41 cold res, and 36 light res, poe.trade showed multiple for 1c, so I listed it there, even though that seemed a little low. The messages started coming in after about 10 minutes, and I took the item down almost immediately, but I proceeded to get messages for that item every 10 seconds at least for the next ten minutes until I got annoyed and exited the game. Something is wonky with trade right now, I'm not sure it can handle the load.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Deformed Church posted:

I'm really worried about when this melee difficulty I've heard about kicks in, because right now (act 6) my cyclone build is tearing through almost everything and I'm practically on autopilot. All my gear is two acts out of date and it doesn't even matter because outside of a few nasty bossfights I'm unkillable and everything dies in seconds.

Act 8 hit my sunder build like a loving brick wall.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Katasi posted:

I just attempted to sell a helmet with 87 life, 41 cold res, and 36 light res, poe.trade showed multiple for 1c, so I listed it there, even though that seemed a little low. The messages started coming in after about 10 minutes, and I took the item down almost immediately, but I proceeded to get messages for that item every 10 seconds at least for the next ten minutes until I got annoyed and exited the game. Something is wonky with trade right now, I'm not sure it can handle the load.

I sold a frozen trail like three hours ago now and I've had to be on /dnd for most of the time since.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

whypick1 posted:

Block maxes out at 75% (78% with The Anvil) and Reckoning has a 400ms cooldown.

It's a pretty stupid idea.

Oh well. Someone tell me what sort of build to do.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Wow Act 8's final boss fight was rad as hell, incredible

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I liked most of the new bossfights a lot, except the A9 boss which overstayed its welcome. Did we REALLY need another fight? Also, A10 boss is the biggest visual mess in the game to date. Given it's the deadliest and longest of the act bosses as well, not great.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

love my weak auras. Icon by itself is arcane surge buff

MercuryTrade reading from the chatlog for buff notifications?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

This is one hell of a game for a newbie, everything is confusing as gently caress.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pastry Mistakes posted:

This is one hell of a game for a newbie, everything is confusing as gently caress.

My advice is to stick to one corner of the tree for your first 10 characters or so

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Is trickster the best scorching ray ascendency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm running Storm Burst CwC Ball Lightning and I love the storm burst part but hate ball lightning in the build, it really struggles with single targets and bosses take forever. Ball Lightning is a really terrible spell and all these new bosses are so mobile that it only hits them for like one tick each before they dash out of the way. There don't seem to be any good single-target lighting spells, does anyone have a suggestion for what I can swap Ball Lightning for? Storm Burst is good enough for melting packs on its own. I'd do Frostbolt but it would have the same problem Ball Lightning does.

I've never had to build for single target damage in this game so I don't know what spells are good for it. I'm sick of every act boss feeling like Shaper.

edit: Overall Storm Burst is bad for CwC because you have to stop casting it to do most of its damage, and ramp-up for CwC to start casting is longer than its cast speed when you continue casting. I'm having fun with the build because I've wanted a lightning channeled spell for so long but would not recommend it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 6, 2017