Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
one day wallenstein-sempai will notice me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

He's not speaking for his side - there are those of us on the hard left who believe we are not only politically but morally obligated to hold ourselves to a higher standard than those who came before us, especially when they committed atrocities through action and inaction in the name of communism.

To fit with the thread I should really post something about hardcore communist COs who ended up being shot by Stalin really. Will do when I've finished moving house!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey, I spotted McCullough's book 1776 at a second hand bookstore recently. Worth grabbing?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

one day wallenstein-sempai will notice me

Dragonpike Z

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
*In realpolitik voice*

Well, actually, while it ultimately didn't work out, the holocaust did benefit many Germans and the German state in the short run as they repossessed wealth and means of production from the Jewish people and eliminated competition with Jewish business. Some Jews died.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
Gonna let you all cool your heels a bit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shut the gently caress up with the tankie poo poo and politics and post about drunk soldiers or sperging about tanks for 80 pages or whatever the gently caress happens in here.

Much like the NKVD, I will be watching the thread for people to disappear.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
did the Russians have an infantry antitank weapon in WW2 similar to the Panzerfaust, PIAT, or Bazooka?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

did the Russians have an infantry antitank weapon in WW2 similar to the Panzerfaust, PIAT, or Bazooka?

Nope, it was pretty much all ATRs and Molotovs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nope, it was pretty much all ATRs and Molotovs

Surely you are not underselling the glorious anti tank dog?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Grand Fromage posted:

Shut the gently caress up with the tankie poo poo and politics and post about drunk soldiers or sperging about tanks for 80 pages or whatever the gently caress happens in here.

Much like the NKVD, I will be watching the thread for people to disappear.

War is the continuing of shitposting by other means.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

Surely you are not underselling the glorious anti tank dog?

He asked for similarities! If he wanted to know about something similar to the Goliath tank, however...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

No. They could have, but all the weapons that were developed or obtained otherwise were pitted against anti-tank rifles and were expected to do everything anti-tank rifles could do before they truly replaced them. There were some domestic designs firing 82 mm rockets and rifle grenades. All of these designs had the same drawback: they were ineffective at a range of over 100 meters. The Panzerfaust and Bazooka were also not considered particularly effective, since they had the same weakness.

Then there was this thing, which I guess is not very close to a bazooka, but metal as gently caress.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Were antitank rifles effective against anything tank over 100 meters?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Siivola posted:

Hey, I spotted McCullough's book 1776 at a second hand bookstore recently. Worth grabbing?

Sure. McCullough's very readable, and I'm unaware of any academic objections to his books.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ensign Expendable posted:

No. They could have, but all the weapons that were developed or obtained otherwise were pitted against anti-tank rifles and were expected to do everything anti-tank rifles could do before they truly replaced them. There were some domestic designs firing 82 mm rockets and rifle grenades. All of these designs had the same drawback: they were ineffective at a range of over 100 meters. The Panzerfaust and Bazooka were also not considered particularly effective, since they had the same weakness.

Then there was this thing, which I guess is not very close to a bazooka, but metal as gently caress.

How much use did the Soviets make of captured panzerfausts and panzerschrecks? I imagine to the average soldier in 1944 who just watched some T34s cook that Panzerfaust next to the dead German looks mighty tempting.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Were antitank rifles effective against anything tank over 100 meters?

Against lightly armoured targets, yes. Against PzIIIs and PzIVs with upgraded armour and skirts, not so much.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Hey HEY GAIL, this essay has a really hot take on the Peace of Westphalia.

https://extranewsfeed.com/tolerance-is-not-a-moral-precept-1af7007d6376

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

By '43 Anti-tank rifles were completely obsolete, which is why after the war people are work on recoilless rifles instead

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Kemper Boyd posted:

Hey HEY GAIL, this essay has a really hot take on the Peace of Westphalia.

https://extranewsfeed.com/tolerance-is-not-a-moral-precept-1af7007d6376

My eyes glazed over at "The title of this essay should disturb you."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nebakenezzer posted:

My eyes glazed over at "The title of this essay should disturb you."

Eh, it's a fairly bog-standard 'Tolerance of intolerance is suicide' exploration, with an added look at religion in the context of tolerance.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

VanSandman posted:

Eh, it's a fairly bog-standard 'Tolerance of intolerance is suicide' exploration, with an added look at religion in the context of tolerance.
yeah it actually makes a lot of sense. wish he stressed the exhaustion after the war though. after that long of fighting i don't think germans cared very much about enforcing their beliefs on their neighbors; there's a little scene in wilson where some noble notices that members of a different religion are settling in his lands after the war, and he writes to his overlord what he should do, and the answer is "just let them be." and this:

quote:

It is appropriate, even ethical, to answer force with proportional force, when that force is required to restore a just peace.
is about a thousand years old by now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He asked for similarities! If he wanted to know about something similar to the Goliath tank, however...

An anti tank dog is basically the precursor to the javelin missile except from the other direction.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

An anti tank dog is basically the precursor to the javelin missile except from the other direction.

Moles would be more accurate!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

KomradeX posted:

By '43 Anti-tank rifles were completely obsolete, which is why after the war people are work on recoilless rifles instead

In their original intended role yes. Anti materiel rifles exist to this day though for lighter stuff.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

https://youtu.be/V-lJZPF_fJQ

So it woild seem I'm not the only one going "Heeyyy.. wait a minute.." on the idea of bolt-actions in lighter cartridges in the WW2 era.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

What's a good book about tanks in WW2? Less the battles, more the the general research and design, how each side reacted to the others developments, etc.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Xerxes17 posted:

https://youtu.be/V-lJZPF_fJQ

So it woild seem I'm not the only one going "Heeyyy.. wait a minute.." on the idea of bolt-actions in lighter cartridges in the WW2 era.

Interestingly, he goes on to shoot it against a beat-to-poo poo Mauser. The two weapons perform pretty much the same - strongly suggesting that the lighter cartridge doesn't give that much advantage in a bolt gun.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

team overhead smash posted:

What's a good book about tanks in WW2? Less the battles, more the the general research and design, how each side reacted to the others developments, etc.

Armoured Champion, if you're looking for tanks in general and not a specific tank.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Interestingly, he goes on to shoot it against a beat-to-poo poo Mauser. The two weapons perform pretty much the same - strongly suggesting that the lighter cartridge doesn't give that much advantage in a bolt gun.

Well, to be fair Ian almost always loses to Karl, and they acknowledge that.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

True enough.

It isn't exactly a scientific study anyway, I just found it amusing that there was almost no difference in the results for a test that should play to the weaker cartridge's greatest strengths. If this proved typical, that would greatly diminish the value, as you're giving up capability (however seldom used) without gaining a corresponding advantage.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

dublish posted:

Sure. McCullough's very readable, and I'm unaware of any academic objections to his books.
Might have to swing past the store then. I've been playing AssCreed 3 and I sure need something to wash away the lameness. Thanks!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Armoured Champion, if you're looking for tanks in general and not a specific tank.

But it says the Panther tank is... good? :confused:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Xerxes17 posted:

Well, to be fair Ian almost always loses to Karl, and they acknowledge that.

When has he won?

It's especially lopsided with Ian shooting lefty against Karl on bolt actions.

However it doesn't seem like the lighter round makes a huge difference. On the other hand it's a light and handy gun that seems to work well when running and moving around, which is good.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Gnoman posted:

True enough.

It isn't exactly a scientific study anyway, I just found it amusing that there was almost no difference in the results for a test that should play to the weaker cartridge's greatest strengths. If this proved typical, that would greatly diminish the value, as you're giving up capability (however seldom used) without gaining a corresponding advantage.

Wouldn't the advantage be more ammunition produced/carried?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gnoman posted:

I'd be more inclined to suggest that might be because Ian isn't a very good shot, at least not compared to the other guy, and he struggles left handed. Really you'd want them to swap guns.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Wouldn't the advantage be more ammunition produced/carried?

Yes, but this is really a much smaller consideration with bolt action rifles than with full auto battle rifles / assault rifles. Plus, again, no one is talking about putting something like 7.62x39 in a WW2 bolt action, they're talking about the 6mm half-way house cartridges that are almost (but not quite) as large as a full sized rifle round. You're not going to see as much extra ammo carried in that case.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The big advantage of a lighter caliber round is that you can make the gun smaller (not only making it handier to move around, but also reducing the amount of weight a soldier would have to carry), and don't have as much recoil. This seems quite attractive, and seems to be completely free since most rounds that are fired for effect are fired at very close targets - meaning that the multi-kilometer range of 8mm Mauser or .30-06 is completely unnecessary. While the lighter gun is an undeniable advantage, if it doesn't actually prove to be more useful at closer ranges then you lose most of the advantage - potentially meaning that it isn't worth losing the extreme range capability in the event that a soldier might actually need to take a long-range shot, or at a target that is behind medium cover that you need the heavier round to penetrate.

The lighter recoil is absolutely a huge advantage in full auto, and a lesser one in semi-auto, but in a bolt-action it is less clear.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Checked out the Kindle sample. Seems more like a "which tank is best"/"who would win in a fight" type book. I'm more looking for something on the research race as the sides continually up-armoured/up-gunned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That reminds me. Years ago, I read a somewhat "novelized" account of the Me-163 project (it read very similar to Tracy Kidder's The Soul Of The New Machine), but have forgotten the title completely. Does anybody know what that might have been?