Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Rikudou is really really good boxing but it's short as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think i read way too much manga because i've read all of these lol

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

This is what ruined solanin for me. Like I saw it coming a mile away and it felt terribly hamhanded. Which is a shame because until that point it was a fantastic series.

I can't think of a series where Trucking has been done well, really. It outright ruined Fuuka, for example. Christ I think that might be up there with usagi drop for "series that makes me the angriest with the direction it took"

What does 'trucking' mean/refer to?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
A character getting hit by a truck I assume, the way of getting rid of a character so over-used it turned into a meme.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Well, there's a term that does what it says on the tin.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just read the chapter with Tenma and Tobio/Atom's meal which effectively explained why Atom was a failure and I'm sad now.

"Yeah i built this ultimate unbeatable murdering robot, it's probably still sleeping"

"yeah I can't imagine it's the one killing all our former most powerful robots. Tea?"

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ooh, ooh! read riki-oh!

oh, wait. don't read riki-oh.

Yeah, cestus is good. Hinomaru Zumou is a pretty awesome sumo series, it might be more of a sports manga though. It definitely has that Eyeshield 21 vibe.

Tough is also a pretty good series in a similar vein as Baki, very good characters (even if some are quite similar to baki)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

How long before the story's beginning was the War in Pluto again?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

How long before the story's beginning was the War in Pluto again?

4-5 years I think

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

For some reason I thought it had been longer but the Sahad stuff made it sound more recent so that makes sense! I've just read the chapter where Abra talks to Hoffman in the bathroom and now Hoffman's guards are turning on him and it looks like Gesicht found Pluto. So hype to finally see what Pluto looks like.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Turin Turambar posted:

That said, it's a bit underwhelming as a series coming from Hiroki Endo, because he showed in his previous works (Hiroki Endo's short stories, Eden) a very good hand for drama.

How does his art hold up for older series? All-Rounder Meguru is his most recent one so I just wanna know if his older stuff is noticeably different in art style. They also list two other series (Meltdown, Hantei Shiai Jōtō!) as not having ended but I don't know if that's maybe just outdated information.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm at chapter 76 of Shut Hell now, and I'm wondering why in the world Sudou (in Shut Hell's body) is hooking up with Veronika. Doesn't he love Suzuki? It just suddenly cut to him sleeping with Veronika after he thought Yurul died, and now he's leaving with the Voice of Jade and kissing her. Is he just taking advantage of a "well I'm not in my real body so it's not cheating!" clause? Like, I understand Veronika's feelings for Sudou, but I don't get where Sudou's coming from here.

edit: Finished Shut Hell. It had a really good ending, in my opinion (though Shut Hell surviving was a bit cheesy, but whatever. I also wish we got to see more of Sudou and Suzuki, since I really liked them together. Veronica had a Really Bad Ending. I guess the moral of her story is that she hosed up by not leaving with Sudou when he offered to take her with him; it basically symbolized her choosing her revenge over building a new life.). Overall it was much better than most manga endings, though, and it seemed to have been the intended ending rather than something caused by an early cancellation or something.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 8, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Willsun posted:

How does his art hold up for older series? All-Rounder Meguru is his most recent one so I just wanna know if his older stuff is noticeably different in art style. They also list two other series (Meltdown, Hantei Shiai Jōtō!) as not having ended but I don't know if that's maybe just outdated information.

The art is exactly the same, I would say.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And that's 20th/21st Century Boys all done.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Rodyle posted:

And that's 20th/21st Century Boys all done.

You've finished all the major Urasawa works now haven't you? What'd you think of Century Boys? What're your thoughts on the Urasawa pantheon having read them all?

I really, really like Monster, but I love Pluto. I have no connection to Astro Boy but for me Pluto is about as close to perfect a seinen manga as I've read.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

51 Ways to save my girlfriend

This can be divided in two halves. The first half is a decent disaster romp after a big Earthquake hits Tokyo. The protagonists help people, see horrible stuff, they escape from problems, live dangerous situations, etc. It feels more or less realistic. The pace is good, it never dwells too long in a place or plot point.
The second half is when things turn ugly. First, the rape angle starts. The first encounter of that nature was ok, I understand the author wanted to show how dangerous people can exploit the chaos of the situation and the lack of law enforcers. But then there is a second attempt. And the climax of the comic is a third attempt, with a very big group of rapists. WTF, it's both creepy and not very realistic that the general populace fall so much in that behavior. It was an earthquake and only a few days have passed, it wasn't freaking WW3 with the nuclear apocalypse coming.
Second, there is a very stupid 'religious sect' plotline that stretches belief. The protagonist is brainwashed in just 48 hours, and the reasons of how it happens feel contrived. Again, it was just a big earthquake, not the Rapture, in a few days I can't believe the sect gained power. It was facepalming and made me want to drop it but I continued because I was near the end.
And third, the ending was very predictable (I so guessed right that the newborn baby would solve the incident). Characters were also predictable, nothing particularly interesting happened with them.

Overall I can't recommend it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hocus Pocus posted:

You've finished all the major Urasawa works now haven't you? What'd you think of Century Boys? What're your thoughts on the Urasawa pantheon having read them all?

I really, really like Monster, but I love Pluto. I have no connection to Astro Boy but for me Pluto is about as close to perfect a seinen manga as I've read.

I think having revisited Monster it's better than I remembered it being but it's still easily the worst of the bunch (still good though!). Pluto is probably the best of them, if for no other reason than how perfectly compact it is. Boys is excellent, but has a lot of fat to it that could probably stand to be trimmed, and ultimately I think a lot of what it does gets polished up and done better in Billy Bat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't even think of a manga or anime that has handled the concept of rape in an appropriate manner. Hell, molestation is often played off as a gag, sometimes inexplicably simultaneously while being portrayed as the genuinely bad thing molestation is (My Love Story has this but I forgive it because the rest of the series is so good)

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Dungeon Meshi https://bato.to/reader#6779d78211413cdf_1

Reacting to this chapter:

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Really hope Dungeon Meshi gets a animated adaption someday

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Really hope Dungeon Meshi gets a animated adaption someday

The manga seems like it would be fairly direct to adapt. There are a lot of sight gags that would translate really really well.

Also wow paying attention to Senshi in the current chapter is great.

Too bad next chapter will drop mid October.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dungeon Meshi needs a top tier animation studio putting heavy effort into it, so I would hope Bones or a similar level of studio would do the adaptation.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!

Captain Invictus posted:

Dungeon Meshi needs a top tier animation studio putting heavy effort into it, so I would hope Bones or a similar level of studio would do the adaptation.

It's going to be done by the same studio that's animating Berkserk.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I will hurt you

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Captain Invictus posted:

Madhouse

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm getting to the end of Pluto and the translations have started to get ropey unless Gejihit is supposed to be a different name to Gesicht but I suspect not. Atom just woke up and Epsilon was killed :saddowns: Really surprised Bora is a totally separate thing to Pluto!

e: I'm more surprised Gesicht died but I guess it's based on an Atom story so it makes sense he's the protagonist in the end I guess. Still sucks, Inspector Gesicht owned

e2: Tenma and Brau oh hell yes

e3: Give Brau a talkshow because people can't get enough of him

e4: Is the most pure and best boy

e5: "my hatred is much greater" noooooo that's not the best boy attitude

e6: Both of these good boys are princes :saddowns:

Goddamn that was supreme I cannot wait for the animation

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 12, 2017

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I can't even think of a manga or anime that has handled the concept of rape in an appropriate manner. Hell, molestation is often played off as a gag, sometimes inexplicably simultaneously while being portrayed as the genuinely bad thing molestation is (My Love Story has this but I forgive it because the rest of the series is so good)

What about punpun

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I'd seen Grand Blue pop up in the Convince Someone To Read a Manga in One Image, and decided to give it a shot this weekend. Holy poo poo you guys its real good. Its genuinely laugh out loud funny at points, the art is phenomenal (the faces are just amazing), and I like pretty much all the characters. It was refreshing to see that, from pretty much from the first chapter, the main character wasn't going to be your typical timid outsider who takes volumes to open up and warm to the gang.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Grand Blue is hilarious and good. It's more of a drinking manga than a diving or college manga, which isn't totally inaccurate for college. I definitely like that the main character isn't played as the straight man joining up with a club of wacky misfits, instead jumping right into the antics on day 1.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's an idiot who was introduced to a new kind of idiocy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm reading Alien 9 right now.

WTF
T
F

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Alien 9 is legitimately one of the most hosed up mangas I've read. That it dresses it all up with seemingly cute art makes it all the much worse/better.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
hosed-up for the purposes of telling a good story though or hosed-up because the author has issues/fetishes he puts on the page? I'm curious about A9 since it's by the Made in Abyss guy I think?

edit: Oh it isn't the comic I was thinking of I guess. This is pretty weird though.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 13, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remember way back when when on demand type stuff on TV was in its infancy and there wasn't much there.

The anime section had like 4 things in it. An episode of evangelion, pokemon, some anime about a mecha space moby dick, and alien nine. I wasn't too familiar with much anime at the time. Boyyyyy howdy was alien nine an...abrupt experience with what anime can be. What's that anime people always talk about that's all cutesy and pokemonesque or whatever but is absolutely horrific outside of the misleading intro? Alien nine is kinda like that

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

51 Ways to save my girlfriend

You know, even ignoring the weird rape stuff, I find that there's a sort of subset of drama manga (and other Japanese/Asian media, like live action dramas) that are super melodramatic to the point that it ends up becoming darkly comical rather than sad. Like the point in this manga where they find the nice guitarist guy and then you find out he's been carrying around the corpse of his dead girlfriend. Like, it seems sort of like a dishonest way to make the audience sad, if that makes sense.

edit: Another example is when in a drama (in whatever medium) a character dies and then it shows you all these flash backs of them smiling and what have you. It's like it's just screaming "THIS IS SAD, BE SAD ABOUT THIS" at the audience. Sorta like the tragedy version of jump scares.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 14, 2017

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Captain Invictus posted:

What's that anime people always talk about that's all cutesy and pokemonesque or whatever but is absolutely horrific outside of the misleading intro? Alien nine is kinda like that

Shadow Star/Narutaru.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm reading Alien 9 right now.

WTF
T
F

yeah it owns

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I never got through all of narutaru but Bokurano was great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pierson posted:

I never got through all of narutaru but Bokurano was great.

i've never read either of these and idk why so i think i will

them all going into a cave on the beach made me think of this though

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/what-lies-beneath-mossdale-caving-disaster-794268.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I feel like the obvious comparison is to Evangelion ('piloting a giant robot for the sake of humanity would gently caress you up immensely') but it also seems like an unfair one because that was just one facet of Eva but it feels like 90% of Bokurano's. The bigger cast and the way control of the robot is set up also allows for a lot more character-stories and a lot more different types of kid and how it affects them. I really enjoyed it.

Narutaru I've been led to believe was much more scattershot as it went on and didn't manage to stick an ending, which makes sense if it was an earlier work and he was still honing a style/message.