Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I like how the screengrab is just him taking a picture of his tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

cliffy posted:

The Audrey scene is this episode's dougie rape scene.

Dougie was raped by a sleepy midget

edit: *little sleepy person

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

The Walrus posted:

'mother' is sarah palmer's doppelganger calling it

nah it's just a Danzig reference

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

nah it's just a Danzig reference

But booper does want mother's children (bob) to walk his way!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I'm pretty sure it's deliberate, but this does feel more like FWWM than the original show and I don't know if that's a good or bad thing

I expected that the moment I saw it was Lynch directing every episode with total freedom.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I am excited for more Twin Peaks

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phi230 posted:

I am excited for more Twin Peaks

Nice troll.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this episode is gonna be hype. im so certain.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/hG9Gixo.gifv

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Someone who is 5'4 isn't even THAT short. Definitely not little person territory. It's just his arms loving up people's perceptions.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't think about the dumb thread theories at all when I'm watching the show

to be fair this isn't just a theory from this dumb thread, it's been like everywhere in every discussion of this show online and in real life.

when kawuro suggested that booper saying "the cow jumped over the moon" was a lord of the rings reference i definitely didnt think about that when i watch the show, but stuff that i see all over facebook and hear from my friends, yeah occasionally that stuff will pop into my head, especially with how heated the poo poo got with like a month of "its absolutely certain Bbooper raped her and if you don't think the rapist did more raping you're literally retarded" and "surprise, goons/logposters/lynch fans/men full stop/etc have rape fantasies :rolleye:"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I don't think he raped her. I just think he was the weird dopple coop we see and vanished on her. Also her character wasn't that much different to me. She was already abrasive and manipulative 25 years ago. She just couldn't curse like she can now. Of course I could be naive and should just take everything at face value and think she's really been though it after all this time. Lynch's stuff usually punishes me for thinking too hard.

RBX fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 6, 2017

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Come on, we got distracted with debate about pejoratives and Danzig, we get back up to gold rating, and you gotta dredge up the Audrey :tvtropes: thing. WE WERE DOING SO WELL

Also, I have nothing else to talk about except for having to wait 24 hours for the next scene that sparks contention for days.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
id like to talk more about the last golfball hit by oj simpson before he went to jail in Nevada if that's ok

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Well... It wasn't that I was saying it was a Lord of the Rings reference per se, it was more that it reminded me of that more than anything else, which reminded me that LotR is about an evil ring that causes people to vanish when using it and seems to be perpetually associated with misfortune of one kind or another. I was more just riffing and trying to point out the universality of the "magic/powerful/evil ring" concept, and how mythic it is. Going back to Wagner and Der Ring des Nibelungen and in turn the Norse myths he based that off of. I'm not saying Lynch was sitting there and used the line intentionally; it's probably just a nonsense line from a nonsense song that he liked, with as much meaning as "the conversation around the dinner table is lively". I was talking about what the line made me think about, and how *I* reacted to it, Lynch's intentions entirely aside.

On another note... Alternate theory for why Evil Coop was in the ICU that day: He was trying to retrieve the ring from Annie/the nurse who took it from Annie. Or he just wanted to see how she was? Presumably (?) Annie would have also been in the same place as Audrey and probably the same team of nurses would be working on both of them. We know a nurse took The Ring from Annie from the end of FWWM/Missing Pieces, and that next time we see it Dougie is wearing it in place of where his Wedding Band (the one that turns up in Briggs' stomach) should be - left ring finger. Given that it seems logical Dougie was "manufactured for a purpose" by Evil Coop, we can only assume that he retrieved the ring himself from the last place we saw it.

edit: Oh and it actually is really nice to see that I have some vocal supporters out there, thanks guys!! :o: It feels v good to know that there are folks out there who actually read through and enjoy my posts, so yeah :)

kaworu fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 6, 2017

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

He should've shot the kid too tbh

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I tried to catch up after watching the entire series in a week or so but the early pages were pretty useless so I skipped here?

To be fair these episodes have really given people poo poo to talk about. This is the first one to really do that even if it's cheating because it's blatantly about stuff we cannot know yet.

This has even less of a plot than most of his stuff. Its nice to watch and not think too hard about it because the answer won't get explained or will be so out there you can't predict. The direction, music, and everything is top notch though.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I have a lot fun talking about Lynch's work. Even if I don't really find some of his stuff effective or sometimes pretty lacking, I do enjoy the big themes/emotions he paints and his interest in topics that somehow aggregate into neat concepts. I watched Lost Highway last night. I didn't find it particularly great, but some of the details in that movie have me asking for more.

Also he's just a flat-out weird dude. I look forward to whoever is the next generation of Cronenbergs and Lynchs (maybe they exist and I don't know about em yet). I hope Denis Villeneuve does more stuff like Enemy again one day.

Edit: I forgot Nicolas Winding Refn, but Neon Demon was just terrible on so many levels. I hope he pushes out something great soon.

Zmej fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 6, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ben Wheatley maybe

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

another entry in the ancient tradition of syncing poo poo up to pink floyd songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y7RE5Fq5fk

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
Why is Audrey married to a little kid

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

skasion posted:

Ben Wheatley maybe

Ben Wheatley is definitely someone who scratches the Lynch itch. I think Jonathan Glazer could possibly have the chops for it too, depending on what he does next.

Also, if you're not familiar with Macon Blair (he does a lot with Jeremy Saulnier, who did Blue Ruin and Green Room), his first film "I Can't Feel At Home In This World Anymore" is an excellent Coen-esque crime thriller black comedy. It's definitely more Fargo than Lynch, but Blair has been in some weird poo poo too, and he occasionally brushes up against Lynch's knack for comedy juxtaposed with uncomfortable tension. It's not an exact fit, but I feel like Lynch fans have some good overlap with Blair/Saulnier fans.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

The Walrus posted:

this episode is gonna be hype. im so certain.

the entire episode is going to be shot reverse shot of charlie and audrey not leaving the room and getting more and more upset with each other.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Your Parents posted:

the entire episode is going to be shot reverse shot of charlie and audrey not leaving the room and getting more and more upset with each other.

At this point, I'd honestly dig it if one episode was just a single continuous take, basically reducing the episode to a one-act play. One take, one set, a limited number of actors. At the end, the band walks on stage and starts playing, and the credits start rolling. It seems like the most logical progression from last week's episode.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I go into every new TP episode like a newborn babe, looking up at his mother's face for the first time :allears:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

kaworu posted:

I go into every new TP episode like a newborn babe, looking up at his mother's face for the first time :allears:

And then she barfs evil orbs all over you?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

kaworu posted:

Well... It wasn't that I was saying it was a Lord of the Rings reference per se, it was more that it reminded me of that more than anything else, which reminded me that LotR is about an evil ring that causes people to vanish when using it and seems to be perpetually associated with misfortune of one kind or another. I was more just riffing and trying to point out the universality of the "magic/powerful/evil ring" concept, and how mythic it is. Going back to Wagner and Der Ring des Nibelungen and in turn the Norse myths he based that off of. I'm not saying Lynch was sitting there and used the line intentionally; it's probably just a nonsense line from a nonsense song that he liked, with as much meaning as "the conversation around the dinner table is lively". I was talking about what the line made me think about, and how *I* reacted to it, Lynch's intentions entirely aside.

On another note... Alternate theory for why Evil Coop was in the ICU that day: He was trying to retrieve the ring from Annie/the nurse who took it from Annie. Or he just wanted to see how she was? Presumably (?) Annie would have also been in the same place as Audrey and probably the same team of nurses would be working on both of them. We know a nurse took The Ring from Annie from the end of FWWM/Missing Pieces, and that next time we see it Dougie is wearing it in place of where his Wedding Band (the one that turns up in Briggs' stomach) should be - left ring finger. Given that it seems logical Dougie was "manufactured for a purpose" by Evil Coop, we can only assume that he retrieved the ring himself from the last place we saw it.

edit: Oh and it actually is really nice to see that I have some vocal supporters out there, thanks guys!! :o: It feels v good to know that there are folks out there who actually read through and enjoy my posts, so yeah :)

the annie theory is good, but something's up with annie, heather graham was up for coming back but isnt on the cast list, so unless they really do have a ton of a surprises up their hand she isnt back which is super weird and even weirder is secret history goes to great lengths to not mention her at all even when discussing norma's backstory and even doc hayward does not automatically assume he went to see annie considering he said thats a day he would never forget.

but then hawk and frank and the diary are the only one to have mentioned her since season 2/fwwm/missingpieces. so what gives? is it possible that she was manufactured like dougie by bob/another black lodge spirit for the sole purpose of luring cooper into the black lodge, because just following earle in wouldnt be enough? we know badcoop only had 25 years to do whatever it was he was doing. does not explain why she would appear to laura and tell her that stuff tho, unless that is the giant doing his poo poo.

i wonder if bob can only possess doppelgangers tho, maybe leland entered the black lodge back when he was 13 it was doppelleland+bob who came back out. but then that's probably not right because the ring stops bob from possess people if FWWM is to be believed.

i think about this alot.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
No, you see Leland's doppelganger in the lodge in the twin peaks finale. he's real shifty looking and keeps insisting that he doesn't remember doing anything wrong

the thing I find crazy and that so far has been totally unexplained is that even the Man from Another Place (brain-tree edition) has a doppelganger, and that it shouts "nonexistence!" i have no clue what to make of that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just a reminder that this is moving up an hour starting tonight. It airs at 8pm Eastern/7pm Central now, which is how it’ll be for the next few weeks.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Trying not to compete with GoT, I assume?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

El Jeffe posted:

yeah but its funny because tonight's got ep leaked like a week early

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Almost certainly.

Mad Wack posted:

yeah but its funny because tonight's got ep leaked like a week early

Twin Peaks or GOT?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

Almost certainly.

Twin Peaks or GOT?

GoT

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

El Jeffe posted:

That plus Ray Donovan is starting up and taking that slot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheMaestroso posted:

That plus Ray Donovan is starting up and taking that slot.

Showtime (at least) must not have much faith in it to stick it there.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The move to 8pm on August 6th was announced before Twin Peaks even premiered.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I sort of find it amazing that time-slots even matter anymore. They used to be so enormously huge and important, but the number of "cord-cutters" is only going to increase more and more.

Also I bet there are still tons of people who barely know the GOT episode got leaked and/or don't care to watch a 400MB version of an hour-long episode, like me

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Here's a question that has been bugging me for some time.

I also believe that Bob can, and has, possessed others in the past. Leland Palmer would be the most recent, before Danzig. Why didn't Bob ever try world domination, or whatever the hell he's doing now, before he had a doppelganger of Dale Cooper?

The notion that time has no meaning in the lodges brings to my mind the idea that Dale has always been in the lodge and always will be. He is just as much a permanent denizen of the lodge as any other entity. He simply doesn't have the fury of his own momentum that would allow him to come and go as he pleases.

But still... Why wait for Dale? Bob could have secured his fortunes with Leland, or countless others before him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He seems to have much more complete control over Dale's doppelganger than he did over Leland. He also seems to have access to Dale's intelligence and knowledge, which makes him more powerful.