Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Commence the plan. NC3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Nc3, horseplay, yadda yadda

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Voting Nc3. I think that's eight votes: how many do we need for a majority nowadays?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Nc3 wins the vote!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3

Black has 24 hours to decide on a move.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5

You have 24 hours to decide on a move!

Also, as a housekeeping thing: I'm going to disregard players who haven't voted for the last 3 moves from the total needed from the current amount of moves needed, to ensure that the game can keep going as quickly as possible. If any of you busybodies feel like doing my beancounting for me, that would be greatly appreciated! (Those players are not expelled from the team or anything, and they'll be reintroduced to the count as soon as they cast their next vote!) :)

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Pawn to g5 would have made more sense to me, so that might be what they are going for next. But that is a lot of turns without a solid move on their part.

We can dare them to trade knights by moving ours to e4, blocking the pawn to g5 move. Pawn to b4 might be a good reinforcement of our central forces.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Lichess board URL.

habituallyred posted:

Pawn to g5 would have made more sense to me, so that might be what they are going for next.

If they moved their g-pawn our queen could take their knight easily, and then take a rook the next turn.

This h-pawn seems like blatant queen-bait, and with their rook (and knight!) just sitting there, so that's an obvious no-go. Shouldn't threaten it with g4 either (g4 hxg4, Qxg4+ Nxg4).

On the other hand our options are looking pretty slim, too. My initial thought is a simple b3, for that nice powerful diagonal line of pawns, but be wary that it's no defence against their remaining bishop.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Can we just dxe5 and commence the bloodshed? Without going too far into it I think we're going to come out on top. If they go for the Rook trade it's to our advantage and leaves their King more exposed. If they Qxe5 then we can Qxc6+ and they start looking very vulnerable. Their other options are retreating the Knight to a useless position or abandoning it to a pawn. Ng4 is probably the only remotely worthwhile option for the Knight but then we can Bf4 to back up our pawn and/or threaten the Queen.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

sebzilla posted:

Can we just dxe5 and commence the bloodshed? Without going too far into it I think we're going to come out on top. If they go for the Rook trade it's to our advantage and leaves their King more exposed. If they Qxe5 then we can Qxc6+ and they start looking very vulnerable. Their other options are retreating the Knight to a useless position or abandoning it to a pawn. Ng4 is probably the only remotely worthwhile option for the Knight but then we can Bf4 to back up our pawn and/or threaten the Queen.

Hmm. dxe5 Rxd1+, Rxd1 Qxe5, Qxc6+ Kb8, Rd8# and game. No guarantee that Black would go for that pawn, though.

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 3, 2017

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Cloud Potato posted:

Hmm. dxe5 Rxd1+, Rxd1 Qxe5, Qxc6+ Kb8, Rd8# and game. No guarantee that Black would go for that pawn, though.

I'm running the Lichess thing myself to actually contribute to a vote for once, instead of following blindly. If we go for this, they could instead of Kb8 go Qc7, and force us to either trade Queens or back off, like so:

White to move.

And that's if they go for the pawn, like you already questioned. If not, then we've only captured a Pawn and a Rook, and traded a Rook of our own for it. What if we instead look for even more bloodshed with d5?

Black to move.

This puts it on them to start a forever-war over D5, which I feel we would come out ahead in looking like this:

Where it doesn't matter what order they throw in their Pawn, Knight, and Rook, as long as our order of counter-attack is Pawn, Knight, Queen. Black to move.

The main problem I see is that our left side ends up collapsed, and their Queen could be free to roam the board, but it does take out their remaining Knight and one of their Rooks. Of course, that assumes they'll commit to it, but if they don't, then we've got a Pawn (or stronger, if they break off in the middle of the battle for the space) further up the board than before, without letting their Rook into our backfield.

I'm no master strategist, so please tell me everything horrible about this plan that I'm not seeing right now. But for now, in case I miss coming back to the thread before deadline and so I don't fall off the active roster, I'm putting in my vote for d5.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Well, that strikes me as a stinker of a move, frankly.

I've not played this all out yet, but provisionally voting for dxe5. We win all of those exchanges pretty well, and honestly I hunger for blood.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
d5

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

oath2order posted:

Well, that strikes me as a stinker of a move, frankly.

I've not played this all out yet, but provisionally voting for dxe5. We win all of those exchanges pretty well, and honestly I hunger for blood.

I think they were trying to prime their Rook? Which yeah, not sure what the heck they were going for there. If it was an intentional bait for our Queen (though to be honest, I doubt it, since it's way too obvious) it fails horribly at that.

Yeah, even if we suffer losses, I'm thinking it'll definitely be worth it on our end. Commence the bloodshed! dxe5! :black101:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ok, so their plan seem to be to move their knight to g4 and threaten our h pawn with their queen? We can either play h3 or g3 to prevent it.

Anyway, for now I guess dxe5 works and we came up a pawn ahead after trading rooks. If the queen takes our pawn them we can take theirs with our own queen and check.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

dxe5

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Forgot to bold my own suggestion ao here goes...

dxe5

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Voting b3. We should hold off the slaughter until we've no other options. Plus, this pawn move they've done feels like a cry of desperation, that they know they're running out of sensible moves. If we keep the pressure up, they'll have no choice but to do a silly move, wich is when we capitalise.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
d5 gets my vote. It gives a great bait for setting off a chain of capturing and if not we pressure their queen.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Is it time to kick rear end and chew bubble gum?

Are we out of gum?

dxe5!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5

Black has 24 hours to decide on a move.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Let's begin the war of d5. Cry havok and let slip the pawns of war!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

My initial thought for this eventuality was Bf4 but actually Bg5 might be interesting too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

It seems to me that the moment for Kg4 was before we placed our pawn in the path of their queen towards h2, but whatever. Defending our pawn with Bf4 doesn't look like a horrible idea.

We could trade our bishop for 2 pawns in order to leave their king undefended, but I'm not sure how good that move is (15. Bxa6 Qxa6 16 Qxc6+)

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Bishop to a7 means losing the rook game at best. I think moving the bishop to g5 will also result in losing the rook game, and leave us threatening an empty space on their side.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

It seems to me that the moment for Kg4 was before we placed our pawn in the path of their queen towards h2, but whatever. Defending our pawn with Bf4 doesn't look like a horrible idea.

We could trade our bishop for 2 pawns in order to leave their king undefended, but I'm not sure how good that move is (15. Bxa6 Qxa6 16 Qxc6+)

We could theoretically get them to lose resources trying to protect the king, but neither of us have much to work with. What's our Knight at c3 doing?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

What's our Knight at c3 doing?
Not much while that c6 pawn is there, unless we want to spend two turns moving it to the right side of the board.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

current board

Yeah, I don't know about this one. It's not very powerful, just kind of obnoxious

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I don't think Bg5 is a good idea, as it lets Black take our e5 pawn without consequence, as well as threaten our queen on f3. On the other hand, it's possible that Bf4 won't stop them from taking our pawn, then we take their knight, they take our bishop with their queen, leaving us with:

(White to move)

Given all that, I still think Bf4 is our best option for the moment.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yeah, Bf4 is solid.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Not much while that c6 pawn is there, unless we want to spend two turns moving it to the right side of the board.

Hmm. On the other hand, if we can get that c6 pawn out of the way we can bomb our Queen into the a8 corner and I think we've won. Nb5 as bait? If they don't go for it they've got to move their queen which will probably weaken their defense around the King anyway... I haven't followed through the possibilities on where they could move it to yet.

e: Actually, poo poo, I think we've got it regardless of what they do.

e2: That might be over-selling it, I've not gone through all the potential moves. None of the Queen moves look great for them though if we follow up with Nxa7+. I think they're losing their Queen at least and probably losing unless they play ideally. I've not found a way out for them yet, anyway.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 6, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

I don't think Bg5 is a good idea, as it lets Black take our e5 pawn without consequence, as well as threaten our queen on f3. On the other hand, it's possible that Bf4 won't stop them from taking our pawn, then we take their knight, they take our bishop with their queen, leaving us with:

(White to move)

Given all that, I still think Bf4 is our best option for the moment.

sebzilla posted:

Hmm. On the other hand, if we can get that c6 pawn out of the way we can bomb our Queen into the a8 corner and I think we've won. Nb5 as bait? If they don't go for it they've got to move their queen which will probably weaken their defense around the King anyway... I haven't followed through the possibilities on where they could move it to yet.

e: Actually, poo poo, I think we've got it regardless of what they do.

You know what, you're drat right!

From Cloud Potato's post (but it works as long as the general structure is similar), to clarify:

Qxc6+ Qc7 (if they play Kb8 is checkmate after Rxd8)
Qa8+ Qb8
Rd8+ Kxd8

And they lose the queen.

Qxb8+

If they don't take the bait after 15. Nb5 we can Nxa7 next turn, and the only way out I see is by taking our Knight with their queen, which lets us play Qxc6+ and go into plan sebzilla.

Ok, what's the best way to get our Queen either to c6 (after they move their queen away) or a8?

EDIT: Yeah, should refresh before posting, sebzilla has already said this.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 6, 2017

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Nb5 is our path to victory, comrades.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Qf5+ for they are open let us force their hand.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Nb5

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Agreed

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

sebzilla posted:

OK, let me see if I follow your reasoning: Nb5 cxb5, Qa8+ Qb8, Rxd8+ Kxd8, Qxb8+ and that's where I lose the thread.

(Black to move, in check)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

You know what, you're drat right!

From Cloud Potato's post (but it works as long as the general structure is similar), to clarify:

Qxc6+ Qc7 (if they play Kb8 is checkmate after Rxd8)
Qa8+ Qb8
Rd8+ Kxd8

And they lose the queen.

Qxb8+

If they don't take the bait after 15. Nb5 we can Nxa7 next turn, and the only way out I see is by taking our Knight with their queen, which lets us play Qxc6+ and go into plan sebzilla.

Ok, what's the best way to get our Queen either to c6 (after they move their queen away) or a8?

EDIT: Yeah, should refresh before posting, sebzilla has already said this.

Yeah, Bf4 is absolutely the correct move. I don't know if they will take the bait or not, but the worst case scenario is that it fucks up their fork plan. Second worst case scenario is they trade the knight for the pawn. Once they capture with the queen, they have no legal moves outside of the ones presented here. It's real good.

• Locked thread