Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

What do you people like to go for first in getting skills for your pilots? I'm always saving up to get those high value things like Continuous Action and so on but I'm curious.
Support attack and defense for everyone so I never have to worry if another unit with that ability is in range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Policenaut posted:

What do you people like to go for first in getting skills for your pilots? I'm always saving up to get those high value things like Continuous Action and so on but I'm curious.
I guess "depends on the game is a bit of a cop-out but it does sometimes wildly vary between games.

Any skill considered broken for their game: This includes SP Regen, Attacker and Revenge in OG 1/2 and Continuous Action in Z2 (it's kind of nerfed in OG2nd)

Support Attack: This is a good early candidate, but I do find that it has diminishing returns. It's especially awkward in games with heavy Time Limit Battle Masteries because the Supporter's turn needs to be not used up to use it.

It's mostly useful for killing retreating bosses and to squeeze out a bit more damage in the early game before the damage Spirits show up - once everyone has Valor, the contribution from Support Attack really falls off.

Also V nerfed it with a 50% damage penalty for no reason.

Prevail: For any character with Prevail of 7+, I try to top it off because it's a skill that really increases in effectiveness exponentially.

That's... kinda it for a generic overview. Got to go into specific games to really nail things down.

Random Aside: I want to point out Terrain Usage as a skill (introduced in Z3-2) for being one that looks like it should be good but is surprisingly bad because terrain is so completely underdesigned in said game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Break Will Limit is always nice, especially for pilots whose Will I'm going to be pumping anyway.

e: every game has those pilots who should have Hit&Away ASAP and don't come with it.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 6, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Policenaut posted:

Honestly I lean more towards E/B Save first (though if a good sniper doesn't have Hit and Away, they get that first)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh yeah hit and away for all carriers immediately or else you'll basically never get to attack with them during your turn unless it's a map where they're in a fixed position.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
H&A is pretty popular, but I usually skip it under the reasoning that either I just kill things with counterattacks on Enemy Phase or in the case of most Battleships - I generally don't really want them to see heavy combat anyway. For a lot of the Battleships whose names aren't lucky enough to be Nadesico or Yamato, I usually just grab them Guard and call it a day.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Shinjobi posted:

I am genuinely shocked it is not 5. I mean, I knew there were a ton of games in the franchise, but I figured it was just some reboot in the naming scheme. How about that.

Like all anime, SRW doesn't give a poo poo about naming conventions.

Take this succession of stand-alone GBA/DS games for example: SRW A is meant to stand for Advance, R for Reversal, then D for Destiny, J for Justice, then W for Double, then K because it came after J, then L. In that order.

SRW Compact 2 for the WonderSwan was divided into three games telling one story, but it has no story connection to Compact or Compact 3. :boom:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They called the third Alpha game Alpha 2.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kingdom Hearts 3 is actually the 25th game

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Don't forget the mess that is

OG 1 -> OG 2 -> Reboot into OGs -> OG Gaiden -> 2nd OGs -> OG Moon Dwellers

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

Like all anime, SRW doesn't give a poo poo about naming conventions.

Take this succession of stand-alone GBA/DS games for example: SRW A is meant to stand for Advance, R for Reversal, then D for Destiny, J for Justice, then W for Double, then K because it came after J, then L. In that order.

SRW Compact 2 for the WonderSwan was divided into three games telling one story, but it has no story connection to Compact or Compact 3. :boom:

I thought J was for Judgement?

But yeah, they give no fucks about naming.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My order for skills is usually Hit and Away if necessary, Continuous Action/SP Regen/Attacker depending on the game, Will Limit Break, B Save/E Save and then either S rank a terrain ranking if the pilot can use it or just dump the rest in stats. For support pilots it usually goes whatever the name of the skill that allows resupply after moving then straight SP Regen + SP Up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I hated everytime they have a unit who's mostly long range non-post move moves with no innate hit and run. That was Wing Zero's story for like a decade.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I take a different tact and usually grab a morale skill so I can use the cool moves earlier in the game when the maps are a little skimpy on units. They are cheap enough so I don't care much about PP efficiency.

After that it's pretty much damage/CA and then e-save/b-save if it's relevant. Towards the later half of the game everyone gets the raise will to 170 or whatever.

Toss ignore size, support attack around as necessary. Never bother with support defense.

I hardly ever bother with H&A either. If a unit is like old school Wing Zero just turn on sprint and do the counter attack strategy. No sprint? Bench that poo poo.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 6, 2017

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Schwarzwald posted:

Remember, the V in Combattler V is a V, but the V in Voltes V is a V.

Five! Five! Five! Fivectory!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I can't believe the most important numbers in Super Robot Wars V are 3 and 9.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Caphi posted:

I believe the most important number is 168,000 as that's how many light years between Earth and Iscander. That's 336,000 light years for a round trip...and I remember this because they refuse to shut up about this in the early game.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I always get Resolve first because +10 Will is the most boring skill of all time but unless its prohibitively expensive or skill slots are restricted it gives you such a strong turn 1 boost that unless there's another way of getting morale up (Basara) its a solid pick. Dash is another one for +1 movement which combined with the other fella gets you SR points. If there's something broken like Continuous Action or OG2 SP Regen then that'll be a priority over everything else. After that Break Will Limit, EN Save, maxing Prevails. Support Attack and Defend to taste. I usually get rid of Counter unless there's an Ace related reason not to like Kyosuke in MD and I wish Chain Attack or whatever the attack in a line skill is didnt' exist in 2ndOGs and MD because its worthless with the Twin System.

Caphi posted:

I'd rather not have a V2 just because V already felt like it had a lot of post-plot series (or no plot series).

I'm the same. Multiple dimension nonsense does mean they can technically go forever adding stuff, but we've seen how that goes with the Z series, so I'd rather they didn't. Soji, Chitose and Nine's story is done and its nice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

the most important number in srwv is whatever ange's kill count currently is

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

the most important number in srwv is whatever Sala's kill count currently is

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If they released DLC or something that was just the backstory of the SEED/00/Zambot/etc. world I'd probably buy and play that because it sounded cool.

Otherwise I think V ends on a nice note.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Davzz posted:

Any skill considered broken for their game: This includes SP Regen, Attacker and Revenge in OG 1/2.

SP regen is only "broken" because it allows you to be bad at the game and still complete it.

Anyway, skill choices for OG1/2:
- S ranks in space and ground/air, depending on the robutt
-Hit&Away for sniper characters and robutts that have bad post-movement. Valsion Kai and Giganscudo Duro come to mind.
-Attacker for +20% damage at 130 will.
-SP regen or focus. Regen for beginners, focus for pros.
-Infight or shooting, depending on character. Notably Masaki, who is melee focused, really wants shooting because his most useful and strongest attacks are all shooting-based.
-EN-Save/B-Save for a few characters. Ryuusei and Mai come to mind.

Skills for Z2.1/2.2:
-Continuous action
- +will on deployment thing. An aced unit with this and CA starts at 115will and and can CA on the first turn if it kills a thing.
-Hit&Away for sniper types. (and Baldios)
-Will limit break, delicious, delicious damage.
-B/E- save on various characters. The Macross, votoms and Orguss crowd like B-save, most super robutts like E-save.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SP Regen is extremely powerful because gaining 10 SP back a turn is extremely powerful. It's frequently competitive with or better than Focus on anything but short missions in terms of SP saved. Focus comes out ahead slightly in short missions but it's not until the very late game that the amount of SP saved by Focus actually pays meaningful dividends. It's not at all about beginners vs pros but mission length and pilot SP costs. Even if you're going for absolute minimum turn counts there is a much larger portion of the game where an extra 10 SP is a more meaningful profit in total SP than 20% to SP costs.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 6, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Focus seems terrible in late game mission considering they're always a billion turns long, and you can't freely abuse stuff like Loran casting +30 will at the beginning and then using a Soul+Butterly every other turn.

Partly why I never liked putting Amuro in the Turn A back in Z1.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
SP Regen is so top-tier in OG2 because the OG2 endgame is such a slog. The last few stages all have multiple high-HP regenerating bosses and tough mooks. The White Star mission alone justifies SP Regen on everyone.

In games that don't pull that bullshit it depends.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Focus seems terrible in late game mission considering they're always a billion turns long, and you can't freely abuse stuff like Loran casting +30 will at the beginning and then using a Soul+Butterly every other turn.

Partly why I never liked putting Amuro in the Turn A back in Z1.

If you're abusing mechanics you can often end up making very very late game missions take only 1-2 turns through various mechanics. This is where Focus shines because the saved SP that comes with restoring SP with items/spells pays off a lot more in a single turn.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MarsDragon posted:

SP Regen is so top-tier in OG2 because the OG2 endgame is such a slog. The last few stages all have multiple high-HP regenerating bosses and tough mooks. The White Star mission alone justifies SP Regen on everyone.

Yeah I feel like the only SRW game I abused SP regen was the original GBA OG2. There's been ways to shorten the OG end games to a few turns since everything went PlayStation.

Tbh gba og2 was probably the last srw I spent more than a few minutes of thought on consistently instead of one offs here and there like in z1 or the latest ogs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If you're abusing mechanics you can often end up making very very late game missions take only 1-2 turns through various mechanics. This is where Focus shines because the saved SP that comes with restoring SP with items/spells pays off a lot more in a single turn.

Not in Z1. A ton of those missions are just like 2-3 hour fests, like the one mission that basically requires you to pre-aim an AoE at a spawn point of Titans. Or that one map where you have to kill like 7 series bosses across a huge map.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SP Regen hasn't been a must-buy since OGs but it's also only been a purchaseable skill in like 2 games since then.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I just use SP Regen in V mostly to get additional Fortune commands. Gotta get dem muns, man, my robuts need to be shinier!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I've found that in this dark and blighted modern era where continuous movement is easily accessed by the player, the vast, vast, vast majority of stages are over in a very short amount of actual turns, which in turn minimizes how effective bonus-per-turn skills like SP Regen actually are.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tae posted:

Not in Z1. A ton of those missions are just like 2-3 hour fests, like the one mission that basically requires you to pre-aim an AoE at a spawn point of Titans. Or that one map where you have to kill like 7 series bosses across a huge map.

Of course, Z1 didn't have buyable SP Regen.

On the other hand, Z1 had so many SP battery squadmates by endgame I didn't need it.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
FMW gives sp regen to a single unit and makes her awful and not worth the cost of bringing her along at all. It also puts a limit on how many turns it can activate but that will only come up a couple maps after you get her anyway.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Kanos posted:

I've found that in this dark and blighted modern era where continuous movement is easily accessed by the player, the vast, vast, vast majority of stages are over in a very short amount of actual turns, which in turn minimizes how effective bonus-per-turn skills like SP Regen actually are.

This is how I feel. SP regen is still good, but the primary reason it isn't mandatory anymore is because it's now way easier to just take fewer turns. V in particular is absurd because +ExC boosts can allow for a single character to take theoretically infinite actions in a single turn without even using Zeal or any pilot skills whatsoever.

SRW V of course throws things even further into a blender by giving pilots unlimited skill slots. Everybody gets Continuous Action! Everybody gets Attacker! Everybody gets Limit Break! Everybody gets Prevail!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

SP Regen is extremely powerful because gaining 10 SP back a turn is extremely powerful. It's frequently competitive with or better than Focus on anything but short missions in terms of SP saved. Focus comes out ahead slightly in short missions but it's not until the very late game that the amount of SP saved by Focus actually pays meaningful dividends. It's not at all about beginners vs pros but mission length and pilot SP costs. Even if you're going for absolute minimum turn counts there is a much larger portion of the game where an extra 10 SP is a more meaningful profit in total SP than 20% to SP costs.

MarsDragon posted:

Rascyc posted:

Yeah I feel like the only SRW game I abused SP regen was the original GBA OG2. There's been ways to shorten the OG end games to a few turns since everything went PlayStation.

Tbh gba og2 was probably the last srw I spent more than a few minutes of thought on consistently instead of one offs here and there like in z1 or the latest ogs.

Like I said, SP regen is only good if you don't know how to play OG1/2. Focus is what allows you to spam the hell out of HTB cannon. And what gives your support batteries more shots of Hope/Rouse/Renew/Enable. Having a decent SP setup like this is what allows you to trivialize the end game, even on EX hard mode.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Eh, you have to be spending 50 SP a turn for focus to come out ahead... Both abilities are "win more" skills. OG2 just has infamously bogged down stages that make winning more kind of mandatory to keep from losing interest.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

HitTheTargets posted:

Eh, you have to be spending 50 SP a turn for focus to come out ahead... Both abilities are "win more" skills. OG2 just has infamously bogged down stages that make winning more kind of mandatory to keep from losing interest.

You usually burn through your SP in 1-3 bursts per map, from about halfway through the game on, aside from random Focus or Accel casts. The SP setup for bosskilling (Strike/Valor/Alert/Guard/etc) usually costs 50sp or more, and if you're bosskilling, you're bosskilling till the end of the chapter. There's only 3 exceptions off the top of my head.

Also, again, Focus is a central part in oneturning bosses. Regen can't compete in that regard.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
OG2 has some fairly strong grunts like the Bioroids with their S Ranks which generally means that some Spirits are going to be cast consistently over a handful of turns like Strike / Focus.

I don't deny that "Burst" SPers like Support Spirit bank characters and the SRX doing Zeal shenanigans probably benefit from SP Focus better, but I think that assumes you basically spend no SP up until the point where you burst though because it seems to me that SP Regen will regenerate more SP over time if e.g you need to cast Focus/Strike to keep up.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It depends on unit and game and other available mechanics. SP Regen in V isn't super useful because everything is over by turn 2 most of the time, which in turn makes the Great Ace bonus really good.

SP Regen is good for many reasons and has a role for some units that aren't the bossmurder ones. Focus is better for spending lots all in one go, SP Regen is better for spending a small amount over a longer time. SP Up is sometimes more efficient than either point for point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SP Regen is way more valuable during midgame, when maps can take 5+ turns and you don't have Zeal, Enable, Rouse or Hope to 1 or 2 turn maps. It's also way more flexible in that you can do things like drop a Valor on turn 1 against a Barrelion or something and regen all or most of that back by the time you have to take on a boss. There are also characters with 10 SP Focus that can cast it for free to make grunt killing easier and more reliable.

• Locked thread