Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Spiderdrake posted:

Also if you don't like joke posts about the absurdity of the Sonic fandom and its corresponding youtube videos

gee, so funny. grumpy incoherent garbage ranting is the funniest thing ever. these "jokes" are the best posting :geno:

I've found myself looking at playthroughs of some Sonic romhacks and fangames, after not paying them any mind for YEARS. And apparently two of the 'better' fangames are Before the Sequel and After the Sequel? They look fairly nice and they have some really good music, but holy moly the gameplay is pretty bad. Levels going on for way too long and are mostly devoid of any challenge. Or any fun level design. Or anything really interesting in general.

Are there any other fangames or romhacks that might be worth looking into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sonic Man, IIIIIIAAAA!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

XavierGenisi posted:

The ones that use that engine made by Taxman basically, Sonic XG, Retro Sonic and Sonic Nexus.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Last time I googled the Taxman games (after the bunnyhop video) I couldn't find any of those projects in what felt like a conclusive state. A lot of dead fansites, etc. What would you actually recommend for those in terms of actual links?

XavierGenisi posted:

gee, so funny. grumpy incoherent garbage ranting is the funniest thing ever. these "jokes" are the best posting :geno:

I've found myself looking at playthroughs of some Sonic romhacks and fangames, after not paying them any mind for YEARS. And apparently two of the 'better' fangames are Before the Sequel and After the Sequel? They look fairly nice and they have some really good music, but holy moly the gameplay is pretty bad. Levels going on for way too long and are mostly devoid of any challenge. Or any fun level design. Or anything really interesting in general.
AtS kinda highlights how hard it is to hit the sweet spot of difficulty and object density to make a fun Sonic game. You probably need a lot of playtesting and revisions and a one man team probably didn't have the resources to do his own ideas justice. There were definitely some good ideas in there, and I think some of the levels worked well in parts. But I guess he at least put them out in a finished state.

And yeah I'll cut the being grumpy about where Sega is probably going to take this. I'm coping with mania not being here yet, man. And coping with that feeling of the Sonic cycle looming over us.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Sega aren't going to gently caress with Sonic Mania, and if we get future 2D installments they're just going to run alongside the 3D ones. One isn't replacing the other.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Sonic Man, IIIIIIAAAA!

this is me irl

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Spiderdrake posted:

Last time I googled the Taxman games (after the bunnyhop video) I couldn't find any of those projects in what felt like a conclusive state. A lot of dead fansites, etc. What would you actually recommend for those in terms of actual links?

pretty sure you can find them all on sonicretro my man

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

Play Time Twisted. Do it.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I'm glad that Freedom Planet is no longer considered the best 2D Sonic game we are ever going to get this century.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Stink Terios posted:

Play Spark the Electric Jester. Do it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ronnie posted:

I'm glad that Freedom Planet is no longer considered the best 2D Sonic game we are ever going to get this century.

I am excited for Freedom Planet 2 as well.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Agreed, but it has the same problems as BTS and ATS.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

omg guys Sonic Mania comes out in like a week and two days

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Anyone else read this masterpiece of literature back in the early 90s

Sonic gets turned into a toaster and weird british humor happens

e: poo poo there were apparently a lot of these

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 6, 2017

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SONIC

MANIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

SONIC

MANIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

et in dementia sonic est

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

i hedge, therefore i hog

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Cartheggo dolenda est

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Beasteh posted:

This one was my favourite:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I've been away for a week and oh my lord so much good info on Mania has dropped, can't wait to play the game sign me on the Super Sonic Hype Train.

The special stages in the early copies might have placeholder items tho, Super Emeralds pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase Sega

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I read all of those books. :c00lbert: I remember reading Silicon Warriors the most but enjoying it the least, while Castle Robotnik involved a fortress themed on horror films, or something? There was definitely a team of robot filmmakers, and a Pinhead parody.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I'll never get tired of this cover wherein Sonic is now just eyes and Knuckles is just realizing his wallet isn't in his pocket:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sonic hypomania

Sonic full blown dissociative episode

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Beasteh posted:

Sanic Mernia!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Zelder posted:

Sonic full blown dissociative episode

So the Saturn era?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

S O N I C

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

quote:

Arms too short to box with sonic

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

So, I did end up deciding to boot Sonic 4 Episode II back up for another whirl. I got as far as Sky Fortress before I put it down. While it does seem to be an improvement over Episode I (which I played years ago) it still suffers from some of the same bullshit that hurt that first episode. The levels are still full of "gotcha" instakill moments, especially at the end, and the physics just don't feel great. I've played through Freedom Planet and the FP2 demo and those have completely spoiled me in regards to how well a game can handle.

So, how is Spark; The Electric Jester?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Beasteh posted:

I read all of these when I was an idiot kid and they were great. I think the author showed up in Cybershell's LP thread years ago.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Is this one a horror book about him trying to prevent Sonic 4 from happening?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Tamayachi posted:

Is this one a horror book about him trying to prevent Sonic 4 from happening?

Sonic has like 5 games he'd rather prevent before sonic 4 even comes up. And if we're throwing in general Sega decisions, he'll be busy for a while

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Young Shinjobi must have read this book at least 50 times:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Man, USA really had all the bad comics and books didn't they.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sonic is good, friend. Namaste.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URiYlhYCeAg

I know this

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Beep wasn't kidding, sonic music is incredible for jogging

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I take sonic and running very seriously.

I've been killing it lately and just this past Friday I passed the most yearly mileage I've ever done & with 5 months left to go. Life is good :toot:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lately my mind runs wild imagining what limits will be unlocked once the 'Mania OST drops.........oh, my...to even contemplate such power.........

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

These mortal bonds will be broken,

and unshackled by my earthly tether I will reach sonic mania and become wind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNB4Cy4mftI