Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

first snow jewel really making me think about doing a perma-freeze freezing pulse dude someone please scream at me to not do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

euphronius posted:

My advice is to stick to one corner of the tree for your first 10 characters or so

I've been playing off and on since 1.0 and I still usually start by copying someone else just so I can have at least one character I know will work.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Is just me or does mob melee damage seem a bit overturned?

I'm doing tier 2-3 maps with no damage mods, with 4k life, 2k armor, enfeeble curse and leech cap of 800/second. The bosses still do like 1.5k-2.5k hits almost every second and the leech cant keep up at all, so I have to spam flasks and once they run out I have to tp out. Sometimes the mobs also randomly do 3k-3.5k hits too. I wasn't expecting such tough bosses in the starter maps with no damage mods..

Although every basic mob gets instagibbed at the same time by me, If I jump in to the middle of a pack of mobs and there happens to be a frost aura or something that makes me delayed in attacking, they can easily insta-gib me if all 5-9 mobs swing at the same time.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Is anyone else having trouble buying things? I've messaged half a dozen people or so trying to buy a Tremor Rod, but no one even responds.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
There's a huge delay on PoE Trade right now, so a lot of those items are already sold and the person is tired of telling people that.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Applebee123 posted:

I'm doing tier 2-3 maps with no damage mods, with 4k life, 2k armor, enfeeble curse and leech cap of 800/second. The bosses still do like 1.5k-2.5k hits almost every second and the leech cant keep up at all, so I have to spam flasks and once they run out I have to tp out. Sometimes the mobs also randomly do 3k-3.5k hits too. I wasn't expecting such tough bosses in the starter maps with no damage mods..

Although every basic mob gets instagibbed at the same time by me, If I jump in to the middle of a pack of mobs and there happens to be a frost aura or something that makes me delayed in attacking, they can easily insta-gib me if all 5-9 mobs swing at the same time.

yes I am seeing similar things, I suspect crits are wonky

btw get a decoy totem for bosses

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Yes, I've not got to maps yet but I've been surprised how many story bosses are pretty much trivialised by decoy totem.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yes I am seeing similar things, I suspect crits are wonky

I can kind of understand how the bosses need to do this much damage to have any chance of killing a ranged character (given ranged characters can get similar life as melee characters) during the brief windows of time where they are attacking them. But the only thing you get playing melee is fortify gem for 20% damage reduction which doesn't come anywhere close to making it sustainable. Most of the streamers playing melee characters I see tend to kill the bosses by having overwhelming gear and popping defensive flasks and killing it in 8 seconds, even then their health jumps up and down between 90-30-70-20-80% during the fight.

i'll give the decoy totem a go!

Maybe they could increase fortify to 60% Less damage taken, but reduce the duration to 1 second so only melee chars can reliably use it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Noper Q posted:

Is anyone else having trouble buying things? I've messaged half a dozen people or so trying to buy a Tremor Rod, but no one even responds.

poe.trade dude broke the site and fixed it just a few hours back, with changes taking time to propagate, and there's a problem on the GGG's end too, due to unusually high amount of players.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

queeb posted:

Is trickster the best scorching ray ascendency?

Inquisitor looks good to me (HC-wise at least), skipping the crit stuff. Consecrated ground is a good damage and regen buff, and can be triggered at will with sulfur flask.

ZiggyD made a video of SR/RF Inq, and his build is close to the build that was used to kill Shaper on HC Harb recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r749EjIgzQ.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Can I get an invite to the overflow guild? Name is Birdj. Thanks

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Finished act 10. Really like most of the changes. New bosses were pretty fun, although I didn't really like the act 10 boss. Was really hard to visually parse and kind of unclear what things were going to hurt you and where.
Frost blades has been pretty fun, also.

Did they make the Lab's easier? I tackled they first 3 nearly as soon as I unlocked them and the Izaro fights didn't seem as hard.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

First two labyrinths were trivialised. Third labyrinth was made somewhat easier too.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Just as well, considering the standard tactic was to just ignore a lab until you could steamroll it anyway.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Anyone know of any HC viable build for marauders that wanna dual wield? Total poe newb need some guidance. Looking at the build guides on the forums make my head spin.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I want to make a build that utilizes devouring totem. Hm

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Anyway, can't be bothered starting mapping yet but I did at least finish the acts with self-cast Dark Pact Juggernaut and can give my thoughts on it. First off, plainly not worth it to level with at the very least. The damage is nothing special at all, doesn't compare to good leveling skills like Sunder or the like, and it's really bad on bosses. I was running Echo/CD/Iron Will because those were the colors I happened to get a 4L in, checking in on PoB every now and then nothing else (Void Manip, Added Chaos, whatever) was a notable damage improvement on any of them anyway, only Conc Effect which I left out for obvious reasons except on some bosses. It did do one specific thing well, however, which was covering a huge area. I assume it's due to the +radius stuff they've added to a bunch now in 3.0, but where most others seem to get that gradually as the gem levels, DP starts with +4, which does make it really fun and fast to clear out generic mobs with once you do get some decent damage going.

Still absolutely nothing that makes it worth the life cost, especially since Echo felt nearly mandatory to get anything near acceptable damage on bosses and rares as it was by far my largest increase in damage of any gem. And it also kills you super fast. Kitava part 2 was still an absolute, ridiculous slog and most other bosses were slow as poo poo to kill as well. In theory the Juggernaut should have been a good defensive option - I had 4.5k hp, 6 Endurance charges that gave me Juggernaut bonuses, overcapped on all Element resists and three Life flasks including Seething Divine. Wasn't even close to making up for the ridiculous amount of self-damage DP does. I dunno how VP Dark Pact goes in leveling but certainly the amount of regen reasonably available isn't workable.

Still, even ignoring my regen woes, should you manage a build that leeches all the self-damage instantly and survives fine...it's got great aoe but bleh damage for leveling. On to maps!

As a side-note, does Wither's effect not calculate properly in PoB? I had assumed it would be a pretty strong damage increase but however I fiddled with the calculations I could only get a 4L Wither totem (faster cast/inc duration) to give me like +7 - 10% dps at most. Which seems rather more poo poo than it should be.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Insurrectionist posted:

As a side-note, does Wither's effect not calculate properly in PoB? I had assumed it would be a pretty strong damage increase but however I fiddled with the calculations I could only get a 4L Wither totem (faster cast/inc duration) to give me like +7 - 10% dps at most. Which seems rather more poo poo than it should be.

By default it only calculates damage with one stack of wither, select wither as your main skill, change it to 20 stacks, and then switch back to DP

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I'm pretty sure I've built myself too squishy and stabby. Just beat innocence and it was a brute force deal where he 1 shot me a bunch.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

new phone who dis posted:

I'm pretty sure I've built myself too squishy and stabby. Just beat innocence and it was a brute force deal where he 1 shot me a bunch.

Just wait until you hit the next act boss.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

terrified of my bathroom posted:

By default it only calculates damage with one stack of wither, select wither as your main skill, change it to 20 stacks, and then switch back to DP

That makes sense. Or rather, it doesn't make too much sense as default behavior, but it does explain it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

new phone who dis posted:

Welcome to path of exile and (good) arpgs in general. It's possible to make mistakes here, part of why learning these games is "fun". I'd make sure you've got some life on your gear before you call it quits with the game or that character.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

NecroMonster posted:

Welcome to path of exile and (good) arpgs in general. It's possible to make mistakes here, part of why learning these games is "fun". I'd make sure you've got some life on your gear before you call it quits with the game or that character.

I had 3 different orange 2 handers drop along with an orange belt that gives resists and life with strength while i was leveling this dude. One of the 2 handers was Kaon's axe at like level 50 something, too. I think the next guy is gonna be a 2h warrior.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Applebee123 posted:

2k armour is effectively nothing due to how armour works, particularly if you're in maps. Like, a Granite potion is going to give you 3000 with no mods, 6000 with a good roll on the flask, plus whatever bonus it's getting from your armour increases on the tree.

If your build is based around armour, ideally you'd be in the 10k+ armour range at least. If it isn't based around armour, you should be looking into granite & basalt potions or endurance charges. If you're jumping into the middle of packs, you could also consider Stibnite flasks for the aoe blind, though you're probably not benefiting from the evasion.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AegisP posted:

2k armour is effectively nothing due to how armour works, particularly if you're in maps. Like, a Granite potion is going to give you 3000 with no mods, 6000 with a good roll on the flask, plus whatever bonus it's getting from your armour increases on the tree.

If your build is based around armour, ideally you'd be in the 10k+ armour range at least. If it isn't based around armour, you should be looking into granite & basalt potions or endurance charges. If you're jumping into the middle of packs, you could also consider Stibnite flasks for the aoe blind, though you're probably not benefiting from the evasion.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
lol all the hype around act 10 kitava's difficulty really helped me out, just killed him unspoiled in hc and even while insanely overgeared, came close to dying a few times since the fights such a mess

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

megalodong posted:

MercuryTrade reading from the chatlog for buff notifications?

nah reads key presses, so its a bit janky cause you can trigger it even if you dont have flask charges to use but hit the buttons. still really nice though

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Obviously I'm way behind since it's day 2 of the league and I'm only level 50, but the new acts are surprisingly very good. Act 5 definitely seems harder than Act 6, but the "same, but different" approach is actually pretty compelling. The minimap improvements help the flow a LOT, and help to minimize backtracking. And thank god for the Act 3 changes.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Are some people manipulating the trade market by listing items at low prices to get other people to list at that price then snatch up the items and list them for more? I've had some surprisingly quick responses to listing items.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Grammaton posted:

Are some people manipulating the trade market by listing items at low prices to get other people to list at that price then snatch up the items and list them for more? I've had some surprisingly quick responses to listing items.

YEP!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-mover_advantage

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I played this game last time a new thing came out and was a witch or something that did an aoe then a contagious thing.

What is a good build for this time?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dumb question but how do you even start doing maps? I searched for device in the patch notes and didn't find it.

I went to Solaris Temple in A3 and the Temple in A8 and there was nothing I could do. A3 just had a Lore item to interact with.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do all your SSF characters share a stash, or only have their own to access? If they share, can the stash as a whole be withdrawn to non-SSF?

Someone suggested to me I might like self-enforced SSF up to 60/65 as a balance between desire for working builds and desire not to deal with poe.trade, and I don't know why he said self-enforced.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Dumb question but how do you even start doing maps? I searched for device in the patch notes and didn't find it.

I went to Solaris Temple in A3 and the Temple in A8 and there was nothing I could do. A3 just had a Lore item to interact with.

You complete A10 and it takes you to Zana. You can't do maps until then.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ciaphas posted:

Do all your SSF characters share a stash, or only have their own to access? If they share, can the stash as a whole be withdrawn to non-SSF?

Someone suggested to me I might like self-enforced SSF up to 60/65 as a balance between desire for working builds and desire not to deal with poe.trade, and I don't know why he said self-enforced.

Yes to both.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pollyzoid posted:

Inquisitor looks good to me (HC-wise at least), skipping the crit stuff. Consecrated ground is a good damage and regen buff, and can be triggered at will with sulfur flask.

ZiggyD made a video of SR/RF Inq, and his build is close to the build that was used to kill Shaper on HC Harb recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r749EjIgzQ.

Was SR changed at all in 3.0? This video is one of the builds I never quite got around to last time I played.

Speaking of 3.0, is there a good cliff notes of what changed in the expansion besides the full patch notes? Beyond the obvious extra acts and difficulty changes, I mean. I'm especially curious about what they did about ES, poison and ignite basically ruling the roost.

(e)
Addon to that then, can a character be withdrawn WITHOUT taking the stash along, or does it have to go?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Vasudus posted:

You complete A10 and it takes you to Zana. You can't do maps until then.

:negative:

I literally got the last boss to like 10% HP then when I died I accidentally clicked Revive in Town. Why the hell is the nearest Waypoint two loving zones away :argh:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ciaphas posted:

Addon to that then, can a character be withdrawn WITHOUT taking the stash along, or does it have to go?

There's an option for both. You can either withdraw a specific character, or you can withdraw all characters, stash, atlas progression, etc. You can't withdraw non-character specific stuff like the stash without withdrawing all your characters, though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

terrified of my bathroom posted:

There's an option for both. You can either withdraw a specific character, or you can withdraw all characters, stash, atlas progression, etc. You can't withdraw non-character specific stuff like the stash without withdrawing all your characters, though

That's cool, I didn't expect it to be quite so fine-grained as all that, just wanted to make sure I understood. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

NecroMonster posted:

first snow jewel really making me think about doing a perma-freeze freezing pulse dude someone please scream at me to not do that

I really wanna do this too