Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/andyneuenschwander/it-turns-out-that-princess-leia-had-a-phd-and-peop?bftw&utm_term=.ipRDYL6D#.wiWLM5NL

lol wtf. it would be interesting if it had been something done in new canon, instead its a off hand quote from lucas from over 10 years ago on dvd interview track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crane Fist posted:

What the gently caress is non-binary, sounds like some nerd poo poo

It's the term for people whose thoughts and feelings are so unique that they have to be an entirely new genre of human.

It is a very serious real thing, and not at all the modern equivalent of wearing a t-shirt that says "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

it's not, it's just people who don't feel if the strict gender roles of male or female align with their identity. it says a lot more about the people who get mad about it than the people who feel that way when people make posts like this.

Remember when people freaked out about Garfield being non-binary? (This is canon btw)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Remember when people freaked out about Garfield being non-binary? (This is canon btw)

Jim Davis confirmed that Garfield is male, and he's the final word on Garfield canon

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's the term for people whose thoughts and feelings are so unique that they have to be an entirely new genre of human.

It is a very serious real thing, and not at all the modern equivalent of wearing a t-shirt that says "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

Actually it is a real thing, and this post says way more about you than about non-binary people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nermal's a softboy

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Is "I reject the constraints of socially constructed gender norms and expectations" the same as "a medical doctor is literally wrong about me"?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

unpopular opinion here:
i have my own opinions on non-binary people but they don't really matter because you should be able to do whatever the hell you want as long as it doesn't hurt other people

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

unpopular opinion here:
i have my own opinions on non-binary people but they don't really matter because you should be able to do whatever the hell you want as long as it doesn't hurt other people

That should really be the beginning and end of discussion on things related to LGBT rights really.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

unpopular opinion here:

same.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I'm non binary and I've gotta say, it's extremely good to make cisssies mad just by existing

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

whomupclicklike posted:

I'm non binary and I've gotta say, it's extremely good to make cisssies mad just by existing

good on you.

rock on with your badself.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

unpopular opinion here:

Every nonbinary person I've met IRL has been a walking red flag so ymmv.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

the trump tutelage posted:

is this post "people that i think are weird shouldn't be able to live how they want to" because that's how it sounds

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
nah do what you want

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

the trump tutelage posted:

One thing I like to do is ask white males if they are between the ages of 15 and 24, so I know to be extra careful as they are statistically the most likely to commit a violent crime.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Zeris posted:

One thing I like to do is ask white males if they are between the ages of 15 and 24, so I know to be extra careful as they are statistically the most likely to commit a violent crime.

Show me on the doll where the white male hurt you

Poppyseed Poundcake has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Aug 7, 2017

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Tards

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
gas

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

whomupclicklike posted:

existential trolling, nice

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Here's a great article about YA book drama that y'all can get good and mad about

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Twitter is cancer.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

actually the problem is capitalism, which has convinced people that the only way they have power is as consumers, but good try.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
capitalism is good

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

capitalism is good

:wrong:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so are they mad at the whole "replace minorities with ____ aliens/mutants/class/robots" or some poo poo.

http://b00kstorebabe.blogspot.com/2017/03/review-black-witch-by-laurie-forest.html

oh the angry reviewer is a angry 20 something white chick with colorful hair. what a shock.
https://twitter.com/Bookishwithtea/status/844422595797831681

https://twitter.com/annelisemonte/status/845672552382918656

when will this poo poo loving die. its a loving tween book. gently caress off.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reading a book makes you racist, i guess we'll just have to start burning them

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

capitalism is good

capitalism is awesome

much like god's wrath when he tore asunder the walls of jericho and allowed its people to be slaughtered like cattle

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

reading a book makes you racist, i guess we'll just have to start burning them

see thats where i hate the whole "well we dont want to censor anything, we are just critics" no you do want to, your just slightly smarter then the moral majority and jack thompson and others. you hide behind critcal theory/gender studies/first semester humanities and use it to bludgeion poo poo you dont like. for every good culture critic, there seems to be 5 lovely ones. instead of something like, "this has some issues and problamatic ellements" its "this was made by evil racists/sexists and should be destoryed and if you like it, your racist/sexist/encouraging toxic masculinty".

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Aug 7, 2017

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

There's a difference between criticising the content of a book and calling out everyone who reads it (which includes you, the critic who read the book in order to condemn it) as a bad person. Like, most critics worth their salt don't actually want to censor anything and it's totally fine to come out hard against a piece of media or entertainment you find execrable and reactionary and actively discourage folk from reading it because it's toxic or whatever, the dumb play here isn't having an opinion about a book but the active demonisation of folk who've bought it or read it.

edit: yeah pretty much what you said lol ^^^^^^^^^

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what until these rascals discover that pieces of media from books to movies can be open to multiple readings and interpretations, two people can even read the exact same book and have vastly different interpretations of it

you could write a whole mountain of text on the ideal of trusting what media you consume and your opinions about them to random people you don't know on social media, and applying some value of injustice on the simple act of reading a loving book. calling it "entertainment at the expense of a marginalized group's suffering" is really fuckin' rich, since twitter especially is a dopamine rush of gamified emotional manipulation. it's absolutely toxic and hosed up and has created a seemingly infinite number of angry mobs seeking to harass and humiliate for the satisfaction of their own superiority over another. it's like some planets of the apes poo poo, really.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaEoVnVxvGs

not exactly woke media, but i feel like this will start a fun poo poo train from last year up again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

what until these rascals discover that pieces of media from books to movies can be open to multiple readings and interpretations, two people can even read the exact same book and have vastly different interpretations of it

you could write a whole mountain of text on the ideal of trusting what media you consume and your opinions about them to random people you don't know on social media, and applying some value of injustice on the simple act of reading a loving book. calling it "entertainment at the expense of a marginalized group's suffering" is really fuckin' rich, since twitter especially is a dopamine rush of gamified emotional manipulation. it's absolutely toxic and hosed up and has created a seemingly infinite number of angry mobs seeking to harass and humiliate for the satisfaction of their own superiority over another. it's like some planets of the apes poo poo, really.

i had a amazing literature professor who was annoyed that people couldn't see that spectacle could also be art or have powerful themes/ideas, even if it wasnt the deepest thing or properly handled, everything has a positive value in one way or another. alot of the "critics' believe everything has to be done a certain way for it to be acceptable.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

reading a book and then saying nobody else can read it because it causes dangerous ideas is basically catholicism

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of middle-class suburban white girls never read Fahrenheit 451 and now here we are

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

reading a book and then saying nobody else can read it because it causes dangerous ideas is basically catholicism

more like a cthulhu cult imo

i mean catholicism isn't about words or esoteric knowledge, it's more atavistic and pagan than that

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so are they mad at the whole "replace minorities with ____ aliens/mutants/class/robots" or some poo poo.

http://b00kstorebabe.blogspot.com/2017/03/review-black-witch-by-laurie-forest.html

oh the angry reviewer is a angry 20 something white chick with colorful hair. what a shock.
https://twitter.com/Bookishwithtea/status/844422595797831681

https://twitter.com/annelisemonte/status/845672552382918656

when will this poo poo loving die. its a loving tween book. gently caress off.

this reminds me of christians who boycotted the last temptation of jesus christ without seeing it

"someone said this did a bad so i'm not going to check and see if it did that or what it's actually saying, i'm just going to demand that it be condemned"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

this reminds me of christians who boycotted the last temptation of jesus christ without seeing it

"someone said this did a bad so i'm not going to check and see if it did that or what it's actually saying, i'm just going to demand that it be condemned"

yeah well its the libs turn to be like that now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah well its the libs turn to be like that now :(

in this case, you can tell that these people are actually just white people reveling in the exercise of power using diversity as an dogma they actually fundamentally don't get

i guess they have that in common with fundamentalists too, and in the process they're actually doing exactly what they accuse others of: using the oppression of others for self-agrandizment