Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Welp, time to add this to "list of drone problems" assuming it's real

https://twitter.com/TripleSixGod/status/893243149417578496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mlmp08 posted:

Welp, time to add this to "list of drone problems" assuming it's real

https://twitter.com/TripleSixGod/status/893243149417578496

I know of no commercially available drone that can carry more than 75lbs.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Guessing either lightweight dummy or just straight up fake video editing.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
This is what manned multis look like right now, and this thing gives me the fear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYECvs06XI&t=193s

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

TTerrible posted:

This is what manned multis look like right now, and this thing gives me the fear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYECvs06XI&t=193s

That's what insane swede manned multis look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At3xcj-pTjg

This one is slightly less insane.

e: The drone in the tweet looks way too small to carry a person, and the person in the hammock does not seem to move at all during the video. I agree that it's likely a dummy.

Anta fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 4, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

DÄNGER ZÖNE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqB6P8xP6pM

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Isn't this basically the GiP position?

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Still more logical than most Brexiters

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

My Grandfather died on the 3rd. He was a pilot in the ANG for 37 years. He flew 5 fighter types, and 9 transport types. The longest he flew a single fighter was 10 years. My dad was a pilot in the same unit, also for 37 years, and he only flew two types, the A-7 and the F-16. It was a different world in the 60s through 80s.

My grandpa's favorite was apparently the F-102, "I loved flying the 102, it was the sports car of the skies." I found this while watching youtube videos about the 102, It's about a U-2 intercept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TODGYsCLB4c

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

CBJamo posted:

My Grandfather died on the 3rd. He was a pilot in the ANG for 37 years. He flew 5 fighter types, and 9 transport types. The longest he flew a single fighter was 10 years. My dad was a pilot in the same unit, also for 37 years, and he only flew two types, the A-7 and the F-16. It was a different world in the 60s through 80s.

My grandpa's favorite was apparently the F-102, "I loved flying the 102, it was the sports car of the skies." I found this while watching youtube videos about the 102, It's about a U-2 intercept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TODGYsCLB4c

I love these videos. It's like hanging out with my dad, except that the stories are actually new for a change

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hauldren Collider posted:

Isn't this basically the GiP position?

Yeah

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CBJamo posted:

The longest he flew a single fighter was 10 years.

Jesus. How many times did he have to tank?

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
So you guys covered Clancy, Dale Brown and Stephen Coonts. How is it you missed Larry Bond and Barrett Tillman? :P

Has anyone actually read any of these books recently? Did you regret it instantly?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I did a big purge on books in general but dad fiction in particular last year when my girlfriend moved in and I needed to shrink my physical book collection. Most of it had been lingering unused since late high school.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

KingPave posted:

So you guys covered Clancy, Dale Brown and Stephen Coonts. How is it you missed Larry Bond and Barrett Tillman? :P

Has anyone actually read any of these books recently? Did you regret it instantly?

I remember enjoying Larry Bond books when I was into techno thrillers a few years ago. They do fall into the trap where a war between South Africa and Cuba, the United States wins. In a war between France+Germany and Poland, the United States wins.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Smiling Jack posted:

Clive is like a reverse Mary Sue, he wrote a character who has an awesome car collection and goes underwater exploring and then he wrote enough bestsellers to become that person. That's loving awesome, can't hate on that.

Edit: he expanded his car collection to the point where he runs it as a museum that's awesome

http://www.cusslermuseum.com/content/autos

Was he on his own jokes of stories (Canada becomes part of the US thanks to a lost and now FOUND treaty signed in 1917)? I read his stories of looking for old shipwrecks and he seemed to have a sense of humour about him.

Becoming his own character seems a good way to live. I can't think of any other writers of fiction who have.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

There's a book where the Soviets and Americans have an infantry battle on the moon. There's a book where the hero intercepts and boards an enemy ship using a paddle wheeler supported by a bunch of civil war era Confederate reenactors. Neo-Nazis use Chinese sonic weapons to influence the price of Florida orange futures and i bet it took you a minute to figure out which of those wasn't actually a book

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That's the fun of Cussler. He never pretended that he was writing anything except pulpy adventures.

Also, the two books you are referring to are Cyclops and Deep Six.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Gnoman posted:

That's the fun of Cussler. He never pretended that he was writing anything except pulpy adventures.

Also, the two books you are referring to are Cyclops and Deep Six.

I distinctly remember reading one in junior high school where Dirk Pitt drives one of his many classic cars down a ski slope to escape the bad guys which ends when Pitt crashes into a piano bar, where he drops a hat trick comment of a song request / one liner / bon mot to end the chapter.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Smiling Jack posted:

There's a book where the Soviets and Americans have an infantry battle on the moon. There's a book where the hero intercepts and boards an enemy ship using a paddle wheeler supported by a bunch of civil war era Confederate reenactors. Neo-Nazis use Chinese sonic weapons to influence the price of Florida orange futures and i bet it took you a minute to figure out which of those wasn't actually a book

I feel like the third would be a really interesting version of Trading Places

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Smiling Jack posted:

I distinctly remember reading one in junior high school where Dirk Pitt drives one of his many classic cars down a ski slope to escape the bad guys which ends when Pitt crashes into a piano bar, where he drops a hat trick comment of a song request / one liner / bon mot to end the chapter.

That would be Treasure, and the car was a Cord L-29.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Jokes on you, I've read all of his books and hoped real hard I forgot the first one, but alas, that one is the lie :smith:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Phanatic posted:

Jesus. How many times did he have to tank?

You should know that this post was appreciated.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey guys I'm trying to calculate the energy released by a modern air-dropped bomb. Does anyone know in a general way what fillers are commonly used in modern bombs and what fraction of a nominal-mass bomb would be high explosive?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey guys I'm trying to calculate the energy released by a modern air-dropped bomb. Does anyone know in a general way what fillers are commonly used in modern bombs and what fraction of a nominal-mass bomb would be high explosive?

Avatar / post combo of the week.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Arglebargle III posted:

The filler weight tends to hover around half the total mass, and the filler is usually a mix of TNT/RDX and Aluminum powder for US weapons.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Remulak posted:

Avatar / post / name combo of the week.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Gnoman posted:

That would be Treasure, and the car was a Cord L-29.

Undoubtedly Clive spent at least a paragraph talking about the Cord being front wheel drive and how this made for better snow traction, too, I'll wager. :allears:

I love Clive Cussler novels, and the fact that he has become his own character is awesome as hell.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks guys seems like for standard USAF iron bombs a good rule of thumb is 1 MJ per nominal pound of bomb.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That's a lot of Kirsten Dunsts.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

That reminds me, I was watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Fo44a5oOQ (I just search YouTube for "peninsula seniors" now when I want something to watch) which is about the B-2 flight test program. I'm not done yet so can't say it's amazing or anything, and no spoilers please :v: They have a slide in it showing differences since WW2 in how many bombs you had to drop to hit a target. I assume that the major problem in the past that meant you needed 1500 sorties was with accuracy, since CEP is the only thing they call out explicitly, but they also go from 250lb bombs to 500lb in Vietnam to 2000lb in more modern times, and I was wondering what the difference in destructive power is there. Wikipedia says the Mk 82 500lb bomb has 192 pounds of filling and describes various types of filing that have been used, and even has a section where they talk about variants with different filler. How much different were ye olde 250lb bombs from WW2 - was there not only less filling, but was it also less effective? Or has effectiveness of explosives (in MJ/kg or some measure, no idea how you'd measure it) not really changed that much over the last century if you ignore nuclear weapons?

Vague answers are okay here to go with my vague curiosity, not looking for any classified information :v:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Buttcoin purse posted:

How much different were ye olde 250lb bombs from WW2 - was there not only less filling, but was it also less effective? Or has effectiveness of explosives (in MJ/kg or some measure, no idea how you'd measure it) not really changed that much over the last century if you ignore nuclear weapons?

Short answer: Not much, unless you count thermobarics.

Long answer: TNT and RDX were the principal explosives used throughout WW2. Tritonal and Amatol, common TNT mixtures for filling weapons in WW2, had an RE of 1.05-1.10. RDX has an RE, relative effectiveness, of 1.6, which is the equivalent amount of TNT you would need to match a bomb of a given size; one kilo of RDX is 1.6 of TNT. Modern US bombs still mostly use RDX and TNT plus aluminum powder, as said above. Mark 82s use Composition H6 which has an RE of 1.35, making it a bit better than Amatol, but still comparable to war-time mixtures like Composition B or Torpex, both of which are around 1.3. HMX is used in some places, and has an RE of 1.7, which is less than 10% better than RDX. Newer explosives, like hepta- or octanitrocubane and HNIW, have REs around 2 but aren't manufactured in any appreciable quantities. Octaazacubane, just 8 nitrogens in a cube, has a predicted RE of over 5, which would put it on the order of thermobarics, but I don't think anyone has even really attempted to make it.

Thermobarics use the oxygen from the air mixed with a fuel to create the explosion. With thermobarics, you don't have to carry around oxidizer, so you get a lot more boom per pound. The upside of that is you can get a lot of energy for not nearly as much explosive; the Russian FOAB had an RE of over 6. It also produces a more uniform blast over a larger area. The downside is that you get much lower detonation velocities, so you can't use it for, say, cutting charges.

Also, looking at it, bombs had MORE filling in WW2; the 500lb class AN-M64 used by the US had 262 pounds of filling, compared to the Mark 82's 192, so like a third again as much.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 7, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's kinda wacky that the whole reason you made the bomb for only accounts for 40% of the bomb's mass.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The scale of bombing in WWII is what really is striking. They would use 30-50 airfields to get a single raid up in the air in a reasonable time. People on the ground would watch the bombers stream over head for 2-3 hours.

Remember that this is just to have a good chance for striking a single target!

Think about the logistics trail that kind of effort needed in terms of fuel, parts and personnel and that there would be multiple raids launched every day from multiple locations around the globe.

From an 'engineering a war' sort of viewpoint modern precision systems are so much more efficient it's almost impossible to compare the two. A squadron of B-1Bs (with tankers) and jdams could probably service the entire WWII strategic Pacific and European target lists in a small fraction of the time and be far more effective.

I.e. The financial burden of modern war is actually decreasing rapidly despite the huge costs to develop the weapons systems. Economic theory indicates that this is likely to increase the frequency of conflicts.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Also, bombers didn't really carry that much in the way of bombs. A B-17 on a typical sortie could have twice as much weight in fuel and .50 ammo as it did bombs. And a B-17 at overload has almost the same weight of bombs as an F-4 Phantom.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

aphid_licker posted:

It's kinda wacky that the whole reason you made the bomb for only accounts for 40% of the bomb's mass.

A bomb that was all HE and no casing wouldn't be able to penetrate a hardened target and would have a much smaller effective radius. Point of the steel casing is that it gets turned into a bunch of flying lawnmower blades by the blast and that kills more people over a wider area than if you were relying on HE alone for lethality.

SDB has an even smaller charge for its size, 38lb of HE in a 250lb bomb, with an eye towards minimizing collateral damage.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

The explosion doesn't do most of the killing. Framents of the casing do that. The explosive is largely there to shatter the case. Against haerder targets, the casing helps the bomb penetrate and release the blast in the right place.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Unreal_One posted:

Also, bombers didn't really carry that much in the way of bombs. A B-17 on a typical sortie could have twice as much weight in fuel and .50 ammo as it did bombs. And a B-17 at overload has almost the same weight of bombs as an F-4 Phantom.

Yeah B-17 bomb bays are really, really small if you've ever been in one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

For reference, the Alpha Jet (trainer/light attack) carries more bomb by mass than a long-range B-17 configuration, at least according to Wikipedia

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 7, 2017