Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

The only saving grace in the original DQ2 is the bug that lets you swap a falcon sword and sword of destruction so that you hit twice per turn with the attack of the sword and none of its cursed RNG bullshit.

Prism posted:

How do you trigger that bug?

I'd like to know this as well. I've never heard of it and the prince's attack power in DQ2 NES is so bad that he needs all the help that he can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

It has something to do with the endgame castle illusion. I don't recall the exact procedure, but it's something like - equip falcon sword, walk in, equip SoD, cast return.

Although I only recently learned about this by watching real-time speedruns, I do recall of the official strategy guide (you had to write Enix for it and give them a few bucks for shipping, but it was otherwise free) mentioning something about cursed weaponry and Hargon's cursed castle. It was extremely vague and I never figured it out as a kid.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Taking on Empyrea in DQ8.

Is there some way to block Fuddle? Or at least dispel confuse? Really sucks to lose 3/4 of my party to confuse for 4 turns.
At least if they get paralized by it, I can use Tingle.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Also one of the strategies I looked up mentioned something called a monster team. I have a monster team, but I don't know what it does other than the monster arena quest or how it connects to battle strats at all.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Once you've done enough Monster Arena stuff, you can summon your Monster Team in battle. It's only for a few turns but they can shove some serious damage along the way.

Also Rings of Clarity/ Catholicon Rings will resist fuddle.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 6, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Is there some way to block Fuddle? Or at least dispel confuse? Really sucks to lose 3/4 of my party to confuse for 4 turns.

The only resistance to Fuddle comes from equipment. At this point you can craft some accessories that'll help. This is one of the major difficulty spikes of the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What does Peep do? Am I supposed to be using that on every chest for more loot or something?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

What does Peep do? Am I supposed to be using that on every chest for more loot or something?

Peep reveals the contents of a chest before you open it. This is useful if you are paranoid about those enemies that disguise themselves as treasure chests.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prism posted:

How do you trigger that bug?

Not entirely sure. The RPG Limit Break speedrun does it and I think they mentioned the exact steps there but it's probably on GameFAQs or other sites.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Peep reveals the contents of a chest before you open it. This is useful if you are paranoid about those enemies that disguise themselves as treasure chests.

I wonder if that'll even turn into an issue or not. I just finally managed to get the Zenethian sword and I think I killed like 3 metal slimes going through it.

Granted, I had to go back and forth trying to make progress inside it like over a dozen times.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

JustJeff88 posted:

As much as I despise DQ2 on the NES (I thought that the SFC version was pretty good, however) while adoring 3 and having never seriously played 4, I have this unusual fondness for DQ1 despite freely admitting that it's not a very good game. It has minimal content and is virtually all grind, but I love the enemy sprites and always think of it fondly.

That game could use a lot of improvements, but one that I always wish for is that there be a mid-level heal in that game. You get Heal very early on but it becomes outdated after a level levels while Healmore is great up through level 30 but isn't received until level 17. I've always thought that that game would be better with "Healmore" at about level 8-10, with that spell between the two existing spells in terms of potency. Then, have the level 17 spell be called Healmost which is functionally identical to Healmore as it exists. The "Hurt" spells could probably use a similar rebalancing, but Hurtmore as is becomes pointless if you level up into the 20s because your melee attack ends up just as good while costing bugger all.

DQ1 isn't really a bad game, it's just a bit too simplistic when compared to everything that has come after it. However a large part of the content of the game was exploring the world and the dungeons, so without that you do end up grinding a fair bit. Despite that, the game is at least short enough (especially the rebalanced remakes) that it doesn't really outstay its welcome.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

DQ1 isn't really a bad game

[Walks in circles in the mountains for hours in order to grind levels to not die immediately 4 steps over]

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Nemo2342 posted:

DQ1 isn't really a bad game, it's just a bit too simplistic when compared to everything that has come after it. However a large part of the content of the game was exploring the world and the dungeons, so without that you do end up grinding a fair bit. Despite that, the game is at least short enough (especially the rebalanced remakes) that it doesn't really outstay its welcome.

Well said and I agree with this wholeheartedly. Plus, it was the first in series and on media that couldn't hold a large amount of data, so you had to make the game feel substantial somehow.

I started playing the iPad version of DQ1 earlier today and, having gotten so used to the NES version's glacial pace (which is worse in Japan, they say), I was genuinely surprised when I was exploring the second cave - the one south of Galenberg or whatever they call the town in the far NW corner - and hit level 9 before leaving. Talk about a change of pace... quite literally so.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Super Famicom versions of 1-3 were rebalanced to greatly increase EXP yields, and all subsequent rereleases have used that level curve. It seems to be correct.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

If you are playing the 3DS version and have Red in your party. Her dosh toss ability will wreck Empyrea.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

In addition to the chest thing, it also lets you see if an item has any special properties, if selling it is a really bad idea, and who can equip it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Professor of Cats posted:

[Walks in circles in the mountains for hours in order to grind levels to not die immediately 4 steps over]

*: Beware of bridges!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nickoten posted:

Is anyone in here playing Japanese Dragon Quest XI? I'm considering picking it up but I haven't played Dragon Quest VIII so I'm not sure what to expect coming from having played only 1-5 and 9.

Streaming the ps4 version daily, just follow fail_snail on Twitch, and you'll see when it comes up.

Side note, I've unlocked a feature in XI where you can replay any story cut scene from the game. After i've finished the game, i'll probably make an in depth ALL CUT SCENES translation stream or something, for anyone who wants to play the game in Japanese and know what's happening in the story.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If anyone is playing DQ8 on the 3DS, don't forget the daily download feature. You can get most consumable items, including seeds as daily downloads. You can also get some sweet stuff like gold nuggets and devil tails that you normally wouldn't get until much later.

If you don't like the item you receive, before pressing the button to accept it you can press your 3DS' power button and then home button to back out of the game and try again. You also get the weekly unique item which has included a lot of unique gear that would be really fun to use on a new playthrough.

Of course as of right now all this stuff has been one and done and if you miss it too bad, but who knows what will actually happen once they go through the full cycle. If it's like DQ7, I think they eventually just let you download whatever DLC map you wanted instead of picking from the 3 they released every week, but I haven't checked.

The benefit of this is that you can make a second save right at the beginning of the game (just get to the chuch to save, you can do it in under 10 minutes) and that file will get the daily download items too. What sucks is the game has only two save slots.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

The Super Famicom versions of 1-3 were rebalanced to greatly increase EXP yields, and all subsequent rereleases have used that level curve. It seems to be correct.

In 1, yeah they significantly altered the xp curve. In 3, maybe a little bit, but nothing major like 1.

2 - almost no changes at all. I think a few monsters were tweaked a tiny bit, but on the whole they drop the same amounts. If they changed anything in 2, it's the xp requirements for levels, but I'm not sure about that. When I played through, it felt the same as the NES version.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They should have redone the level gains for DQ2.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I thought that 2 was very well balanced on the SFC. The prince and, to a lesser degree, the princess had much better equipment choices and the prince was much more useful in melee. Plug, being able to get two of those hats that reduce MP made the casters significantly more formidable. Also, the monsters in the final valley don't cast Kill-You-All nearly as much and, when they do, it rarely works. Still a dick move, but much less awful.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Also Firebane received a huge buff.

You should always StopSpell the Gold Batboons or whatever they're called in the remake. Even without it, they only use Sacrifice at 25% HP. That might have been a remake change. It's the Blizzards and their Defeat spell that are still a problem, IMO. Not sure if StopSpell works on them. Bullwongs can (and should) be put to sleep.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What are the chances of that ps4 DQ3 remake getting localized? Zero? I remember loving the poo poo out of the gameboy color one and I'd love to play it again.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The PS4 DQ3 remake that was just made as an internal demo to test the DQXI engine and has never been seen by outside eyes? Surprisingly high!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wendell posted:

The PS4 DQ3 remake that was just made as an internal demo to test the DQXI engine and has never been seen by outside eyes? Surprisingly high!

No, probably the port they announced yesterday alongside I and II.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
Does anyone know the name of the adorable ghost things that you see in the intro to DQ XI, and you can see them wandering around in the PS4 version?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

SlimeSanction posted:

Does anyone know the name of the adorable ghost things that you see in the intro to DQ XI, and you can see them wandering around in the PS4 version?
ヨッチ族

"Yocchi Tribe"

Wendell
May 11, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, probably the port they announced yesterday alongside I and II.

Haha, you might just be on to something.

Sorry for the razzing, Meat!

Wendell fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 8, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
All good, it's probably still got similar chances of being brought over I'm guessing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Lately DQ has had a really good track record for localizations. Considering they wouldn't have to do any actual... localization for DQ1 through 3 if they just use the mobile scripts, I'd say it wouldn't kill them to give it a shot.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm holding out hope. How does 3 hold up compared to the rest of the series? I've only played (other than 3) a bit of 7 and builders so I'm not too familiar with it overall.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tweet my meat posted:

I'm holding out hope. How does 3 hold up compared to the rest of the series? I've only played (other than 3) a bit of 7 and builders so I'm not too familiar with it overall.
It's got a proto 7 style job system and a plot that is mostly uneventful but with a really good and memorable twist. It's one of my favorites even though it doesn't have party chat (party is all custom characters) and the job system isn't that complex.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

3 is the best game in the series.

(In fairness, 4, 5, and 8 are also the best games in the series.)

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

tweet my meat posted:

It is absolutely fantastic. Few games have made an adventure feel so genuinely my own as that game has.

BabyRyoga posted:

Streaming the ps4 version daily, just follow fail_snail on Twitch, and you'll see when it comes up.

Side note, I've unlocked a feature in XI where you can replay any story cut scene from the game. After i've finished the game, i'll probably make an in depth ALL CUT SCENES translation stream or something, for anyone who wants to play the game in Japanese and know what's happening in the story.

What do you think so far?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

tweet my meat posted:

I've only played the mobile version of 3, but it's easily the best of the original trilogy, by virtue of the fact that it's not physically painful to play, but also because it's pretty good on its own merits.

Bongo Bill posted:

3 is the best game in the series.

(In fairness, 4, 5, and 8 are also the best games in the series.)

I would still put 8 and 4 above it, but I would put it on equal ground with 5.

All this DQ chat reminded me that I totally forgot I was playing DQ6, I guess that goes to show how engaging of a game it is.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

tweet my meat posted:

I just finished the mobile version last week. A tad more grindy near the end than most modern games but it holds up great. I'm moving on to the mobile DQ4 now.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nickoten posted:

What do you think so far?

It feels very similar to DQ8, but bigger and better. The story seems more in-depth and detailed than any DQ game thus far, even the individual scenarios that you face in each region have definitely "leveled up". Production values are great, and the game looks amazing even with it's rather simple graphics. As i've said before, I strongly prefer the PS4 version of the 3DS version.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yo, playing DQ 5 DS, any monsters I should be on the lookout for? I finally got a Slime Knight and just got the Great Sabercat again. I'm expecting that monsters fall off after you've got the full family together though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm also playing dq5 and I've had one of the apple guys in my party for a long time, he's great. High stats + useful spells.