Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"It's The Avengers done right" - Ike Perlmutter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Legends of Tomorrow is adding a Muslim superhero next season, Adrianna Tomaz, who becomes the superhero...oh...that's not good

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Obama was right to call ISIS as ISIL because Isis was a cool Egyptian god and a cool spy agency on the show Archer and now that's all ruined for a while.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

I think "Gods of Egypt" and "Pompeii" showed that hedging your bets on GoT actors is in fact super dumb, and those guys were way more prominent than Ramsay.

A lot of the advertising also looks like they're trying to make people think it's a similar show to Game of Thrones, and he's playing a character similar to his character in GoT.

Also, it makes more sense just because it's a TV show, while most of the actors on GoT are great, the only ones I think have movie star potential also already have successful movie careers.

zoux posted:

Some early reviews coming out about Inhumans and folks, it's not pretty.

The problem with trying to make a show like Game of Thrones for ABC. Fox could probably do something similar in tone, or maybe NBC (especially if they were mostly dealing with whichever executive greenlit 3 seasons of Hannibal), but this is pretty far out of ABC's wheelhouse.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well anything that's not a family sitcom is out of ABC's wheelhouse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

The problem with trying to make a show like Game of Thrones for ABC. Fox could probably do something similar in tone, or maybe NBC (especially if they were mostly dealing with whichever executive greenlit 3 seasons of Hannibal), but this is pretty far out of ABC's wheelhouse.

Is that what they're going for? Good luck laying out your epic royal politics story in six episodes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isis was already tainted by Smallville.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Isis was already tainted by Smallville.

If we throw out everything tainted by Smallville there's not going to be a lot of DC left.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

X-O posted:

If we throw out everything tainted by Smallville there's not going to be a lot of DC left.

Agreed. I hope that Ted Kord hasn't been permanently tainted.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Ted Kord has apparently been tainted by "you can't use him because maybe one day we might want to maybe". It dates all the way back to the cartoon that never came out

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

At least he was in the Brave and the Bold twice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My favorite thing from the Inhumans reviews is "I liked Iron Fist, but this is Bucks worst work".

I can understand why there may be some people who thought he was good, because I noticed Dexter had a certain cult around it, people worshiped that show. But after Iron Fist, i cannot imagine anyone thinks he's someone that they can rely on delivering a hit. Though I'm sure Inhumans started production before Iron Fist came out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Is that what they're going for? Good luck laying out your epic royal politics story in six episodes.

It's about a secret kingdom with a deposed king, there's plenty of shows about politicking and betrayal that don't need 80 hours to set everything up, the original BBC House of Cards was just 3 90 minute episodes, about the same length Inhumans will likely be.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So the Inhumans panel at TCA could've gone better
https://twitter.com/HitFixUPROXX/status/894340598077022208

I do deeply love that picture though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
it gets better

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/894347375174615040
https://twitter.com/tvoti/status/894310766815268864
https://twitter.com/emmdib/status/894316572579319809
https://twitter.com/jasonlynch/status/894316181187739649
https://twitter.com/carolineframke/status/894315316976558080
https://twitter.com/TheFienPrint/status/894308395460644864
https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/894343167394193408
https://twitter.com/BiancoRobert/status/894312090428612609
https://twitter.com/BastardMachine/status/894299373139501056

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

quote:

“You have to watch the show to find out how it all works out,” Loeb said. “What you do know is that they certainly are aware of what is happening in the continuity of ‘SHIELD.'”

This sounds an awful like the same BS we get with cross referencing the movies and the shows. A simple yes would have sufficed. It makes literally no sense to tease continuity between a show called The Inhumans and another show that has spent the last two seasons being about Inhuman characters. Unless... Unless.... there's no connectivity at all! *gasp*

Misleading audiences always works over well!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ugh, I legitimately do feel bad for Loeb. He's had more hits than misses, really, and it just seems like this was a cruddy venture right from the start.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BrianWilly posted:

Ugh, I legitimately do feel bad for Loeb. He's had more hits than misses, really, and it just seems like this was a cruddy venture right from the start.
I think this is why they are moving the AOS premire right after Inhumans ends/bombs

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm worried we're going to end up like Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem; AoS is sacrificed for Inhumans.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It kind of sucks because I was somewhat interested in the Inhumans movie, but the internal fighting over territory within the Movie and TV divisions led to them jettisoning the movie. Inhumans wasn't ever intended to be a TV show until 7 months ago.

They ended up dumping Perlmutter anyway, so Inhumans died for nothing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vin Diesel was super hyped to be Black Bolt and if there's anyone who could pull off a role based on angry stares alone it's him.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

But then he couldn't talk about his family

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It kind of sucks because I was somewhat interested in the Inhumans movie, but the internal fighting over territory within the Movie and TV divisions led to them jettisoning the movie. Inhumans wasn't ever intended to be a TV show until 7 months ago.

They ended up dumping Perlmutter anyway, so Inhumans died for nothing.

This is pretty much my feeling. I'm one of the few people that really likes the Inhumans royals so I was really excited when they put it on the movie slate. Then Perlmutter decided to play keep away with the property and now it's been hosed over. We'll be lucky if the Inhumans don't go down worse than the Fantastic Four at this point.

At least we'll hopefully get a good trainwreck out of this I guess.

It's just so frustrating to watch fuckboys try and play who's got the biggest dick with some of this poo poo. It just leads to weird continuity gaps and dilutes the whole brand.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

RevKrule posted:

This is pretty much my feeling. I'm one of the few people that really likes the Inhumans royals so I was really excited when they put it on the movie slate. Then Perlmutter decided to play keep away with the property and now it's been hosed over.

I think it's the other way around. Marvel was pushing Inhumans so hard because they don't have the movie rights to X-Men. I think it's more likely that Marvel Entertainment was pushing for Marvel Studios to do an Inhuman movie and that's why it was stuck on at the end. Remember that The Inhumans movie was never a part of Phase Three, rather it was the beginning of Phase Four. Feige probably never had any interest in doing an Inhumans movie and that's why its a TV series.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011

RevKrule posted:

This is pretty much my feeling. I'm one of the few people that really likes the Inhumans royals so I was really excited when they put it on the movie slate. Then Perlmutter decided to play keep away with the property and now it's been hosed over. We'll be lucky if the Inhumans don't go down worse than the Fantastic Four at this point.

At least we'll hopefully get a good trainwreck out of this I guess.

It's just so frustrating to watch fuckboys try and play who's got the biggest dick with some of this poo poo. It just leads to weird continuity gaps and dilutes the whole brand.

:smith: Same here. Right now the only way I know I'll be entertained is that I'll be watching the show with two dogs, who both freak out when anything dog-shaped(or horse-shaped, or elephant-shaped, etc...) appears on screen. Especially when it's very sudden.

...:getin:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix bought the rights to Millarworld, not sure if that encompasses all of Millar's non big-2 work.

How many IPs has Millar had adapted so far? Wanted, Kingsmen, and Kick rear end I can think of off the top of my head.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It depresses me to think how much money that guy must have compared to all the comic book greats who died penniless. Not that it's his fault or anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Netflix bought the rights to Millarworld, not sure if that encompasses all of Millar's non big-2 work.

How many IPs has Millar had adapted so far? Wanted, Kingsmen, and Kick rear end I can think of off the top of my head.

Those plus Wikipedia credits him for writing Ultimate Fantastic Four, Civil War and Old Man Logan but all 3 are loose adaptations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Those plus Wikipedia credits him for writing Ultimate Fantastic Four, Civil War and Old Man Logan but all 3 are loose adaptations.

Even his Millarworld movies are basically loose adaptations honestly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

RevKrule posted:

Even his Millarworld movies are basically loose adaptations honestly.

Main difference is he got a paycheck for the Millarworld movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Right, but Netflix won't be making those movies or shows for obvious reasons.

I will never forgive Hollywood for not casting Eminem in Wanted and also not doing the original canon ending.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Right, but Netflix won't be making those movies or shows for obvious reasons.

I will never forgive Hollywood for not casting Eminem in Wanted and also not doing the original canon ending.

That movie was much better for being .5% related to the original work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

Reading Mark Millar's post it doesn't sound like Netflix bought the rights to Millarworld, they bought Millarworld.

quote:

Warner Bros bought DC Comics in 1968. Disney bought Marvel in 2009. Today Netflix purchased Millarworld and I’m still blinking. This is only the third time in history a comic-book company purchase on this scale has ever happened.
Wonder how that works when it's all creator owned stuff?
Edit: Rather, I wonder what the advantage is if you're not getting a giant IP stable. Warner Brothers and Disney didn't buy DC and Marvel because they wanted to be in the comic book publishing business.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 7, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Main difference is he got a paycheck for the Millarworld movies.

And a credit.

He got a Special Thanks on Civil War, nothing from Fox.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That movie was much better for being .5% related to the original work.

I actually don't hate that movie, the loom poo poo and all the mythology behind it is crap but it has fun action scenes even if bullet bending is impossible.

Skwirl posted:

Reading Mark Millar's post it doesn't sound like Netflix bought the rights to Millarworld, they bought Millarworld.

Wonder how that works when it's all creator owned stuff?
Edit: Rather, I wonder what the advantage is if you're not getting a giant IP stable. Warner Brothers and Disney didn't buy DC and Marvel because they wanted to be in the comic book publishing business.

We'll find out. I wonder if that means they'll be free to make stuff related to the three movie properties, especially since one of them is mid-franchise.

Incidentally, here's all the stuff listed by his site as "Millarworld". I've mostly read Millar's big 2 stuff, I think Wanted is the only indy stuff of his I've read.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Skwirl posted:

This is correct. This is Netflix's first ever acquisition iirc (or at least entertainment acquisition).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

I actually don't hate that movie, the loom poo poo and all the mythology behind it is crap but it has fun action scenes even if bullet bending is impossible.

That movie absolutely knows how stupid its premise it and has a lot of fun with it. It rules.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

We'll find out. I wonder if that means they'll be free to make stuff related to the three movie properties, especially since one of them is mid-franchise.

Unless whatever movie rights agreement had already been agreed to is expired, I highly doubt it, it's not like Disney can start making X-Men movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Looking more into it, I can't figure out what piece, if anything, the artists own of the various Millarworld books. He's quoted as saying whenever he licenses a property he gives half the money to the artist (so theoretically JRJR made as much money off the Kick-rear end movies as Millar) but it's phrased in such away that it sounds like he doesn't have to. Also just clicking around at various links on Mark Millar's wikipedia page it sounds like he's already sold the movie rights to half the poo poo on their, like there's a lot of stuff already in development by other companies.

I think Mark Millar just retired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Only Matthew Vaughn should be allowed to shoot Millar's work.