Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That and JW doesn't have twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haven't listened to it yet, but I'm disappointed they decided to go with the third book in the series instead of the first, because I've actually read the first one.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rumble in the bunghole posted:

That and JW doesn't have twitter.

He still runs the IDEOTV Twitter I think

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

He still runs the IDEOTV Twitter I think

Both him and Chris do as needed

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This episode was awesome. Maybe my favorite since Level 26: Dark Origins. Just a non-stop roller coaster of stupid, stupid laughs.

Spoiler to avoid ruining the funniest thing in the episode: "Potcig" may have been Chris's favorite portmanteau, but what took the cake for me was "plastray" at the end. You know it's the future because a tray is made of plastic.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Awesome. Between this and the Rush Revere episode, it's looking like they've finally figured out that laughing at lovely books is more fun and worthwhile than getting bent out of shape over politics.

That's kind of a relief. They ruined the Scruples and Valley of the Dolls episodes with that poo poo. "The OTHER F-word," how bloody coy. Think we used to smug that exact line back and forth in freshman year of college before we re-realized that unsavory nomenclature in older books isn't always meant as a slur. See also: Huckleberry Finn.

I am in no way advocating the use of hurtful language.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Think we used to smug that exact line back and forth in freshman year of college before we re-realized that unsavory nomenclature in older books isn't always meant as a slur. See also: Huckleberry Finn.

Except that the "unsavory nomenclature" in Huckleberry Finn was a slur. I mean yeah yeah context and everything but when a novel set in the 1800s American South uses that word it's definitely a slur. That's not smugness, it's acknowledging history.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
A slur is a slur, but I think Fleta meant that Twain wasn't using it hatefully. It was part of the characters' dialect.

Regarding Scruples and Valley of the Dolls, it's fairly clear from the sympathetic potrayals of the gay characters (which the hosts consistently manage to be surprised by) that the term in question is used as vulgar slang, rather than as a denigrating slur. That this use has (deservedly) fallen from grace now obviously cannot inform texts written in the '60s and '70s.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 8, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A slur is a slur, but I think Fleta meant that Twain wasn't using it hatefully. It was part of the characters' dialect.

Yeah but not everyone is going to be comfortable using it on their podcast.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah but not everyone is going to be comfortable using it on their podcast.
Oh, definitely. I couldn't care less that I don't hear every slur they read, and I'm not sure why someone would complain about that instead of, say, all the bullshit hand-wringing in The Alchemist's episode.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 8, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Honestly it depends on which character was saying it. Some were using it hatefully, some because it was the ordinary word used to describe black people because the Antebellum South was just that racist.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Whoever was saying it, Twain wasn't using it hatefully.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
What bugged me most was the whole "lock your doors, hide your children, cover your ears, we're gonna say a bad word!" song and dance right before, and then they bleeped it anyway. Maybe it's just because I have memories of that word being thrown around a lot more casually, but I would think either just skipping it or saying it with a "yeah it's not cool" disclaimer would be more than enough. Doing what they did gives it way too much power.

Especially since J goes on later in the same ep to say the n word casually when saying the name of a song. :eng99:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Whoever was saying it, Twain wasn't using it hatefully.

THANK YOU. Jesus. That's literally all I meant.

And you can avoid saying certain words while not simultaneously scream-giggling over how offensive they are. That's performative and unnecessary. Which was my other point!

I don't use racial slurs, you honky crackers, but I've had to reference specific lines of a work while teaching in a classroom and managed to effectively do so without going "OOoooOOOohhh the N-WOOOOORD URRRRR IT'S BAD *snortgiggle*"

A Pinball Wizard posted:

What bugged me most was the whole "lock your doors, hide your children, cover your ears, we're gonna say a bad word!" song and dance right before, and then they bleeped it anyway. Maybe it's just because I have memories of that word being thrown around a lot more casually, but I would think either just skipping it or saying it with a "yeah it's not cool" disclaimer would be more than enough. Doing what they did gives it way too much power.

Especially since J goes on later in the same ep to say the n word casually when saying the name of a song. :eng99:

yeah this!

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 8, 2017

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
from the facebook group:

J Williams Friedman posted:

Just wanted to post a little teaser: our next episode is going to be a book from the series of novels that have dominated our requests since the day I started this show. We're sort of breaking one of our cardinal rules to do it, but it's not one of the "big ones", and I think it will be worth it cuz a lot of you are gonna be very excited when you see the episode title in a couple weeks.

No hints cuz I can't think of any that won't give everything away. Just be prepared. This will probably be a big'un.

J Williams Friedman posted:

okay, here's some anti-hints:

1) it has nothing to do with donald trump
2) it is not a young adult book marketed at girls
3) it does not involve anything politically objectionable or upsetting
4) it is not by stephen king
5) it is under 200 pages

that's all you get and i'm not dong any more "yes" and "nos" cuz i'll just give it away if i keep it up

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This is clearly going to be a YA novel for boys, but Eragon is longer than 200 pages, so I'm stumped.

Edit: Narnia? :sigh:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 10, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

From what I remember The Last Battle is pretty bad. But if they were going to do CS Lewis, the space trilogy is the better choice.

I think the "not a YA novel for girls" line is just to say it's not Twilight though. It could be a YA novel for boys, but I don't think he was hinting at that.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tiggum posted:

From what I remember The Last Battle is pretty bad. But if they were going to do CS Lewis, the space trilogy is the better choice.
I really, really wouldn't mind an episode on That Hideous Strength.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 31, 2018

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's probably gonna be a self-pubbed book or something, but with a big enough audience that it's not one of the big rules.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I'm gonna say Left Behind.

e. They already did Left Behind :saddowns:

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 10, 2017

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Maybe it's a repeat of an author

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Did they do Twisted yet?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm betting it's a Choose Your Own Adventure book, those are all very short.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Oh, that's a solid bet.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm betting it's a Choose Your Own Adventure book, those are all very short.

That would be so fun!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

neongrey posted:

It's probably gonna be a self-pubbed book or something, but with a big enough audience that it's not one of the big rules.

That's my guess, self-published or maybe fan-fiction.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

That's my guess, self-published or maybe fan-fiction.

So like that dino-sex lady or the pounded in the butt guy?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I really want them to do Star Wars with dragons Eragon soon.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Goosebumps

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

DontMockMySmock posted:

I really want them to do Star Wars with dragons Eragon soon.
I want them to skip straight to one of the sequels.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Drunkboxer posted:

So like that dino-sex lady or the pounded in the butt guy?

Oooh, hope it's a bunch of Chuck Tingle.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Imagine that I have a big pennant that says "TWISTED!" on it, because goddamn I love that pile of trash.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Drizz't Do'Urden or whatevs hopefully.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

omnibobb posted:

Drizz't Do'Urden or whatevs hopefully.

That wouldn't be breaking any rules of the podcast though

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Is Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality shorter than 200 pages?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

fatherboxx posted:

It's apparently 2007 pages long so don't count on them ever bothering with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

:roflolmao:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I really want it to be Animorphs but J specifically said it's not 'a big one'

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Animorphs fuckin rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I want them to skip straight to one of the sequels.

I hope they do the one with the wrist slitting duel, ninja dwarves, Doctor loving Who as the hero of one of the in-story legends, and the absurdly over-described fight scene where Eragon's "ordinary human" brother kills nearly 200 soldiers singlehandly.