Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Ragnarok the Red posted:

She'll just give them Dorne, now that the 8 or so people that apparently lived there are dead it'll need new settlers.

This is something that puzzles me. The show has completely nuked most of the houses in Westeros and some can be expected to be nuked by the end of the series.

Arryn jr. will get the Vale (if the show remembers the Vale is it's own thing cause as it stands right now it looks like the Vale got absorbed into the North). Casterly Rock will probably go to Tyrion. Jon (if he survives and doesn't get the 7 kingdoms) or Sansa will get Winterfell. Yara will get the Iron Islands.

Dorne. Highgarden. Storm's End (lol). Riverrun (cause Arya left Edmure to rot in his cell) These all are hosed and none of the remaining named characters have any connection towards them.

Bronn maybe can get Highgarden since he joked about it this episode? And if Jon survives and gets the North, maybe Sansa will get Riverrun?

But then that leaves us with Dorne and Storm's End. Ellaria may survive, but giving her Dorne would be one of the most stupid resolutions possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Ginette Reno posted:

What else do you think she should assume was in the carts?

If this show was consistent with it's last 2 episodes, Cersei and Euron would have predicted Daenerys attacking the carts and they would have been full of farmers and peasants or her captured Unsullied army so that Cersei could be like "Ha ha ha ha I beat you again" but we are at the point where the script mandates that the bad guys start losing for a bit.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The battle scene owns in HD. Horny Dad Davos owns. Bronn laughing at "Dickon" owns.

If the show would just get rid of Jon, Dan, Bran and Littlefinger it would own all over.

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy

lezard_valeth posted:

This is something that puzzles me. The show has completely nuked most of the houses in Westeros and some can be expected to be nuked by the end of the series.

Arryn jr. will get the Vale (if the show remembers the Vale is it's own thing cause as it stands right now it looks like the Vale got absorbed into the North). Casterly Rock will probably go to Tyrion. Jon (if he survives and doesn't get the 7 kingdoms) or Sansa will get Winterfell. Yara will get the Iron Islands.

Dorne. Highgarden. Storm's End (lol). Riverrun (cause Arya left Edmure to rot in his cell) These all are hosed and none of the remaining named characters have any connection towards them.

Bronn maybe can get Highgarden since he joked about it this episode? And if Jon survives and gets the North, maybe Sansa will get Riverrun?

But then that leaves us with Dorne and Storm's End. Ellaria may survive, but giving her Dorne would be one of the most stupid resolutions possible.

Wasn't Edmure sent to Casterly Rock?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What even happened to Storm's End

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
So what happens next episode? Davos meets back up with Gendry and they have that meeting with Jaime in Kings Landing. Brothers without banners make it to The Wall/Winterfell?

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
[quote="bloom" post=""475109561"]
If the show would just get rid of Jon, Dan, Bran and Littlefinger it would own all over.
[/quote]

And Euron Greyjoy.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CDHiggs posted:

And Euron Greyjoy.

Nah Euron is cool. He is the reason why that "get rid of" list is not longer

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The show's already getting rid of Littlefinger in like two episodes, and it should keep Bran because I like him no matter where he is on the spectrum.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Euron is like the incarnation of a severance check for tertiary characters. If you've got a one on one scene with him, you're out.

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

Ragnarok the Red posted:

She'll just give them Dorne, now that the 8 or so people that apparently lived there are dead it'll need new settlers.

Dorne seems the closest to their homeland. We don't know what exactly happened with the Dornish armies, though.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Was Storm's End even shown on the show? Renly held it but the last we saw of him was having Brienne knock Loras into the dirt.

Bloops Crusts posted:

Where does this episode rank on the pantheon of greatest episodes

Top 10 or Top 5
[quote="lezard_valeth" post="475108725"]
Top 5 probably.

5 - Winds of Winter - Cause of plots moving, R+L and sept fireworks
4 - This - Cause dragons
3 - Rains of Castamere - Cause holy poo poo
2 - Hardhome - Cause cool zombie poo poo
1 - Baelor - Cause it was the turning point where people went "holy poo poo, I should go buy the books"

Guess it worked. I bought the books for that very reason.

I really hate some of the characters on the show. It goes to show you how good of an actor/actress they are.
Joffrey was universally hated. Cersei in real life gets called a bitch and takes it as a compliment. The characters you love usually end up dying...

I still hold hope for Lady Stoneheart and some other book-only characters.

Really enjoyed this episode. Tyrion seemed kind of split when the Dothraki guy said to him his people sucked.

Valar Morghulis fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 7, 2017

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Top 5 probably.

5 - Winds of Winter - Cause of plots moving, R+L and sept fireworks
4 - This - Cause dragons
3 - Rains of Castamere - Cause holy poo poo
2 - Hardhome - Cause cool zombie poo poo
1 - Baelor - Cause it was the turning point where people went "holy poo poo, I should go buy the books"

Solid list imo. Blackwater and the Purple Wedding episode are the other two I'd consider for my top five.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

lezard_valeth posted:

Nah Euron is cool. He is the reason why that "get rid of" list is not longer

He's a terrible character, and he's a chunker. Yay, he killed the Sand Snakes.... *Bronx Cheer*

If you told me right now that I could choose to have Ed Sheeran or Euron Greyjoy singled out for a horrific five minute death scene, featuring a Mountain/Night King sandwich, on next week's episode, I'd choose Ed Sheeran. The fact that I would actually have to stop and think about it is testament to how bad Euron really is.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Okay I'm halfway through, does anyone mention Rickon at any point

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

After Stan murdered Rennie all those guys split up between the crown and Stan. The only ones left joined the Lancasters years ago.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Smiling Jack posted:

Okay I'm halfway through, does anyone mention Rickon at any point

His name is Dickon.

There are no Rickons in this show.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Man this loving show. I watched this on my 4k monitor and once that battle started I was basically in a state of pure ecstasy for 20 minutes or however long. Soooo cool. Kudos to the director.

The cave painting scene was mildly dumb but everything else was pretty good to me (including the Jon/Dany scenes surrounding the cave scene). I don't even think their chemistry was bad in the scene, I just thought the paintings looked stupid.

Also, and this is usually true, but how god drat GORGEOUS have the backdrops been this season? Wherever they're filming dragonstone is awesome.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

an skeleton posted:

I just thought the paintings looked stupid.

The WW drawings even had a :mad: face so that you can know they are :moreevil:

That's the attention to detail I'm looking for in my shows

Wallet Inspector posted:

Solid list imo. Blackwater and the Purple Wedding episode are the other two I'd consider for my top five.

Blackwater is in my top 10 but not too high on my list.

Purple Wedding is probably a 6.

Watchers on the Wall was really cool episode but didn't make it to top 5 cause of offscreen Grenn vs Giant and the start of Ollinator. Probably a 7 or 8.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 7, 2017

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It's not mentioned in the spoilers, so I assume it's not happening, but Bronn hanging around King's Landing is a missed opportunity. With the Sand Snake poison taking anything from hours to days to kick in, I'd have liked Bronn to have mounted a jailbreak for the girl so they could ride off and have adventures together. Bronn could have married her, and claimed Dorne as his own at this point.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

CDHiggs posted:

He's a terrible character, and he's a chunker. Yay, he killed the Sand Snakes.... *Bronx Cheer*

It's simple, just let Euron stick around so long as there's characters worse than him to kill. Next episode opens with Littlefinger creeping on Sansa on the walls of Winterfell when out of nowhere a boarding ramp crushes him. Brann talking about rapes and model trains in the Godswood? Boom now there's an ironborn ship in that little pond they've got and he's getting a flaming catapult shot in the face. Drogon the Dragon not so tough after fleet of ships fall on him and Danny in midair.

After it's all done The Hound walks up to Euron, calls him a oval office and stabs him.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

They do the Saving Private Ryan "follow one guy as he bumbles around the chaos and confusion of a battle" pretty good.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I love how the height of King's Landing engineering nearly got Bronn killed, gave Drogon a boo-boo, and got destroyed about five seconds later. Good job, Pycelle.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

drunken officeparty posted:

They do the Saving Private Ryan "follow one guy as he bumbles around the chaos and confusion of a battle" pretty good.

Yeah. This battle managed to capture the in-battle POV that made their rendition of the Battle of the Bastards so special. We don't just see a flashy battle, we get right down in the middle of it and have to scramble to stay alive.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

bloom posted:

It's simple, just let Euron stick around so long as there's characters worse than him to kill. Next episode opens with Littlefinger creeping on Sansa on the walls of Winterfell when out of nowhere a boarding ramp crushes him. Brann talking about rapes and model trains in the Godswood? Boom now there's an ironborn ship in that little pond they've got and he's getting a flaming catapult shot in the face. Drogon the Dragon not so tough after fleet of ships fall on him and Danny in midair.

After it's all done The Hound walks up to Euron, calls him a oval office and stabs him.

:lol:

https://twitter.com/eversncenyc/status/893543530811072512

Propaganda Machine posted:

I love how the height of King's Landing engineering nearly got Bronn killed, gave Drogon a boo-boo, and got destroyed about five seconds later. Good job, Pycelle.

You got your Maesters mixed up. You are never getting inside of Winterfell with that attitude

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I bet they had Neds statue look that way because they couldn't use Sean Beans likeness anymore or something

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

bloom posted:

I'll take it!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

drunken officeparty posted:

I bet they had Neds statue look that way because they couldn't use Sean Beans likeness anymore or something

Nah, LF had the statue made.

"Make his nose bigger.

Also make him shorter and make him cross eyed.

Who has the last laugh now, Ned?"

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I love how the height of King's Landing engineering nearly got Bronn killed, gave Drogon a boo-boo, and got destroyed about five seconds later.

Its only purpose, story-wise, is to establish for the audience that the dragons are kill-able so that they can kill one later through other means.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CDHiggs posted:

And Euron Greyjoy.

Eurons the best character

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

lezard_valeth posted:

You got your Maesters mixed up. You are never getting inside of Winterfell with that attitude

Pycelle, Qyburn, whatever. They both have Y's.

The hell's a Lommy?

ashpanash posted:

Its only purpose, story-wise, is to establish for the audience that the dragons are kill-able so that they can kill one later through other means.

Like magic from north of the wall? Got it. :allears:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

grack posted:

The Dothraki did, in fact, have a bunch of horse archers.

Having a few guys using a bow before crashing into a formation is not the same as having a horse archer army, that relies on speed, baiting and range. The Romans themselves had more horse archer auxiliaries with their legions than this "horse army".
Also, dear Dany, if you fly along the pike line or even behind it instead of frontal it's a thousand times more effective (but looks less cool admittedly).

I found the fight choreography between Arya and Brienne really, really bad. It was a cool moment, but so badly done.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The original outline for the episode had the dothraki primarily using bows and firing three arrows at a time, I guess it was too cheesy once on actual film so they just made them mostly generic light cavalry doing Cossack tricks

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

More screentime for mook 1 and mook 2 at the gates of Winterfell

Robot Bran is still stupid

Ser Horny Davos is the best

Poor Theon, he just can't catch a break

I guess LF is going to try and use the lingering distrust Sansa is still feeling towards Arya to pit them against each other, or something? I was able to gather this from the frowning Sophie Turner did

The whole fighting part was awesome but how the hell did the army didn't panic the moment they saw Drogon swoop in?

And why did Danny have her focus on destroying supplies? Oh well, I guess.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 7, 2017

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

When i watched Jaime charge Dany at the end all i could think about was King Robert's war story, "He came running at me, the dumb high-born lad, thinking he could end the rebellion with a single swing of his sword."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

i like when the 200+ lb amazons swing was parried by the 90 lb girls stick thing then got up 2 sec after getting kicked directly in the chest without so much as getting winded because she swept the assassins guilds floor a lot

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

I definitely think they've done enough that if there were like 10 of them at King's Landing they could kill a dragon with them and it not seem silly.

Comedy Cersei-is-clever option, Dany flies over the city and a load of slum rooftops fall away to reveal the weapons. Around each one is chained like 10 kids. Dany fries them anyway because she really wants the throne guys.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The scorpions as a countermeasure for the dragons was a loving stupid idea. Sure, you might take the first one down, but once the others realise whats happening they will learn to fly out of reach, and attack directly from above you where the scorpion cannot aim towards or be very easy to dodge. You'd need to have like 20 of them to cover each one's blindspot and at that point you run the risk of friendly fire.

Granted, it was the only idea so the intention still counts. Dragons are just complete game changers and Kelly C has 3 of them. Only through her sheer stupidity and incompetence does she have a very real chance to lose.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 7, 2017

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Davos you loving horndog

kater
Nov 16, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

i like when the 200+ lb amazons swing was parried by the 90 lb girls stick thing then got up 2 sec after getting kicked directly in the chest without so much as getting winded because she swept the assassins guilds floor a lot

Excuse me, did you not see that sword flourish? If she is attacked mid-animation the parry triggers automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Bronn WILL save Tyene, i have faith

• Locked thread