Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The best part of Mad Max is Griffa, the mystic who is actually teaching the player as much as he teaches Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:perfect:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Samovar posted:

Playing through Mad Max is pretty great since it really feels like a massive old desert, then you come across bleached coral of a ship anchor and realise the entire place was under the sea.
Yeah, that was pretty cool, it makes everything just a bit off.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I loved how rough and dirty combat felt in Mad Max. It focused more on brutality and struggle than, say, Batman's surgical precision in fights - the combat system itself wasn't that much different, but the feel of it was completely altered by how that violence was presented.

Crying shame it had no combat arena.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

I loved how rough and dirty combat felt in Mad Max. It focused more on brutality and struggle than, say, Batman's surgical precision in fights - the combat system itself wasn't that much different, but the feel of it was completely altered by how that violence was presented.

Yeah this is 100% how I felt about it when I was playing Mad Max and Shadow of Mordor back to back. I can see the argument for SoM being a better game overall, but magic elf sword ballet felt boring and clinical compared to suplexing fools.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

One of the things about the Mad Max game that differentiated it from arkham is Max' comparative lack of mobility; Occasionally when playing Arkham games the game would misinterpret my input slightly and Batman would vault over the guy I wanted to hit and punch a goon I hadnt even seen because they were off screen. Max never does that, he pretty much just hits the guys he can reach, feels much more grounded.

My favourite little things in Mad Max;

When you jump from a ledge that is slightly too high, max limps and favors his bad leg for a time afterwards. I like they remembered he isnt wearing the leg brace for decoration.

And the one that is often brought up but always bears repeating, when you are in a fight clearing an area and you leave the War Crier alive til last, they have a fair amount of pretty funny unique lines.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I like how weird Mad Max is in general. Like the Griffa conversations, or everything about the 'Plains of Silence', or the moment when Max realises he doesn't know how old he is.

Also, one of the 'ancient relics' you can find is a leaflet for a real-world Mad Max Buggy Tour. Max's incredulous reaction is great.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SiKboy posted:

One of the things about the Mad Max game that differentiated it from arkham is Max' comparative lack of mobility; Occasionally when playing Arkham games the game would misinterpret my input slightly and Batman would vault over the guy I wanted to hit and punch a goon I hadnt even seen because they were off screen. Max never does that, he pretty much just hits the guys he can reach, feels much more grounded.

Veib posted:

Yeah this is 100% how I felt about it when I was playing Mad Max and Shadow of Mordor back to back. I can see the argument for SoM being a better game overall, but magic elf sword ballet felt boring and clinical compared to suplexing fools.

Max isn't a super-martial-artist of master swordsman. He isn't even formally trained. He just hits people. So yeah, the animations fit the various characters really well.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I can't help but find it kind of funny playing as Louie in Pikmin 3 knowing that he's a huge rear end in a top hat who has no problem letting the people that saved him starve to death by stealing all their juice.

Also managed to fight some bosses, I don't know if I enjoyed the ones I fought as much as pikmin 3 but the fact that they seem to be in really tight makes them pretty unnerving. And of course the snagret is just as intimidating as it was in 3, maybe even more so that you can't have flying pikmin just punch the poo poo out of its face to death and there doesn't seem to be a "lock-on" thing so sometimes a few pikmin are going to end up right in front of that things mouth as you keep pelting the thing in a panic.

It does kind of suck though that unlike 3, you can't use the bosses bodies to make a ton of pikmin, I mean, you can still watch your pikmin carry their corpses around in triumph but all you'll get is some pocket change for it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

scarycave posted:

I can't help but find it kind of funny playing as Louie in Pikmin 3 knowing that he's a huge rear end in a top hat who has no problem letting the people that saved him starve to death by stealing all their juice.

Louie is the best rear end in a top hat in a series that doesn't really have an antagonist. He is directly responsible for every problem in Pikmin 2. And then when you finally solve the problem he made he gets lost in a hole and gets kidnapped by a bug. Then when you rescue him he doesn't have poo poo to say for himself except now he has a freaky bug cookbook for every animal you've ever met.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Max isn't a super-martial-artist of master swordsman. He isn't even formally trained. He just hits people. So yeah, the animations fit the various characters really well.

Depending on how you think the Mad Max timeline works he was a cop, which would include combat training.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

rydiafan posted:

Depending on how you think the Mad Max timeline works he was a cop, which would include combat training.

In my headcannon Max is a force of nature. A spirit of the wastes.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

Actually, no. It was the same devs as the Just Cause games.

whoops! i got my 3rd person power fantasy games mixed up again.

in that case the fact that you can't fight while standing on top of moving cars is inexcusable :colbert:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have a post I want to make about Blue Dragon and it's themes and how the characters and world interact with it, but I can't remember if I've made it or not. Don't want to repeat myself again, so let me know if I've already talked about that game and it's themes of Pubescence/Adolescence

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You can click the question mark beneath your red text to see every post you've made in a given thread. I just searched all your posts in this thread for "blue dragon" and it looks like you have not covered it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Thanks for the tip, I found I had covered it back in april.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Talking about a little thing in Blue Dragon that isn't Eternity seems a little odd. :v:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

RyokoTK posted:

Talking about a little thing in Blue Dragon that isn't Eternity seems a little odd. :v:

:black101: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :black101:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641127&userid=178378&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post471300994

I posted it here.

Although to add to it, it is interesting how each side (The Main 5 and Nene) both take their own worlds for granted, and recognise the usefulness/worth of the other. Nene takes for granted that when he restored his version of the world he will rule it, never considering the fact that restoring his world will give everyone magic and make everyone capable of challenging him, he never considers that other people may turn out better than him at magic (admittedly it is unlikely, but it does happen - he get taken out because 5 children turn out to be stronger than he is even powered up by a magic engine). However he sees the people on the surface, notices that they are strong, and tasks them will fulfilling his plans. He considers the surface world to be the means that will lead him to the end - the restoration of what he knew before.

The main characters are the same way - they assume that their version of the world is the default, the way that things should be, and that Nene is some kind of intruder. However the opposite is true - the planet is a giant magic engine that has been falling into disrepair for centuries without the ancients to keep it running.
However, Nene's world is useful as hell to them, from Maromaro's drill to the medicine, to the Mechat airship they are always finding something valuable, whether out of usefulness like the tools, or just because they're cool people to hang with, like the robots.

The primary difference is how they enforce things - Nene dies because he tries to destroy a new world that has value in return for a long dead civilization of which he is the sole surviving member - Shu and friends succeed because when the world that is new to them is revealed, they embrace it. They don't understand it, but they don't cling to nostalgia and try to rebuild their old civilizations - The Devee village is melted by heavy rain, Talta is wrecked by countless landsharks, Devour village is infested with man-eating mobile trees and the capital city is literally sawed in two with the rest of the world, there is no rebuilding any of that poo poo - as soon as the danger is past and Nene is dead, they move right in, and take advantage of tools that are new and exciting to most of them, but old hat by that point to Shu and friends. They accept that Nene's world is the new norm and find a new peace, the way Nene could have if he'd just let of his obsession with his past and found something new to do on the surface.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Aug 7, 2017

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

RyokoTK posted:

Jesus Christ the guy from Deep Purple sang this

Just Offscreen has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Aug 7, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Just Offscreen posted:

Jesus Christ the guy from Deep Purple sang this

One day, Barkley 2 will come out. One day.
Probably won't have those soundtrack notes though.

Honestly my favourite experience of playing Barkley 1 was doing the silly sidequest of writing a love poem, and you have to fill in the blank lines, and it does the normal quiz thing of having one right answer, two "eh maybe" answers, and one really dumb obviously wrong answer for each choice. And I got up to the last question, picking the right answers, until I went "Hang on. This isn't that kind of game."

I reloaded my save, picked all the dumb answers, and both successfully completed the quest and walked out with the bonus reward of Balthios' ultimate weapon, one third into the the game.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

CzarChasm posted:

Hadn't seen in mentioned here, but for anyone who played the original, there was an HD remake of Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Curse released on Steam (and consoles I think) back in early summer.

[snip]

But, if you are a fan of the original low res and chiptune version you can swap at any point between updated and classic graphics and music, and while I don't think this is the first game to offer this option it is the first one that I have played. For that rush of nostalgia where I can literally push a button and be brought back to a point and time where I was like 6 is really amazing.

I don't know if you knew this already, but try pressing the graphics toggle repeatedly for a while. Like, try to keep the transition line between modern and retro graphics on screen as long as you can. There's an Easter egg involved.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Speaking of graphic/musical swaps and updates- I really don't know why the people who ported Cave Story to consoles even bothered. Like I know they had to do something other than a straight port but my favorite little thing about Cave Story is it nothing in the original game had to be "fixed".

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Just Offscreen posted:

Speaking of graphic/musical swaps and updates- I really don't know why the people who ported Cave Story to consoles even bothered. Like I know they had to do something other than a straight port but my favorite little thing about Cave Story is it nothing in the original game had to be "fixed".

still not as bad as Cave Story 3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKea6P6ub_o

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

BioEnchanted posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641127&userid=178378&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post471300994

I posted it here.

Although to add to it, it is interesting how each side (The Main 5 and Nene) both take their own worlds for granted, and recognise the usefulness/worth of the other. Nene takes for granted that when he restored his version of the world he will rule it, never considering the fact that restoring his world will give everyone magic and make everyone capable of challenging him, he never considers that other people may turn out better than him at magic (admittedly it is unlikely, but it does happen - he get taken out because 5 children turn out to be stronger than he is even powered up by a magic engine). However he sees the people on the surface, notices that they are strong, and tasks them will fulfilling his plans. He considers the surface world to be the means that will lead him to the end - the restoration of what he knew before.

The main characters are the same way - they assume that their version of the world is the default, the way that things should be, and that Nene is some kind of intruder. However the opposite is true - the planet is a giant magic engine that has been falling into disrepair for centuries without the ancients to keep it running.
However, Nene's world is useful as hell to them, from Maromaro's drill to the medicine, to the Mechat airship they are always finding something valuable, whether out of usefulness like the tools, or just because they're cool people to hang with, like the robots.

The primary difference is how they enforce things - Nene dies because he tries to destroy a new world that has value in return for a long dead civilization of which he is the sole surviving member - Shu and friends succeed because when the world that is new to them is revealed, they embrace it. They don't understand it, but they don't cling to nostalgia and try to rebuild their old civilizations - The Devee village is melted by heavy rain, Talta is wrecked by countless landsharks, Devour village is infested with man-eating mobile trees and the capital city is literally sawed in two with the rest of the world, there is no rebuilding any of that poo poo - as soon as the danger is past and Nene is dead, they move right in, and take advantage of tools that are new and exciting to most of them, but old hat by that point to Shu and friends. They accept that Nene's world is the new norm and find a new peace, the way Nene could have if he'd just let of his obsession with his past and found something new to do on the surface.

I won't read your spoiler, buy drat i wish I could play that game. Never got around to it after playing lost odyssey

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's not actually a particularly good (or bad) game.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008
My favorite little thing in the Mad Max game was finding historical relics. Usually it was just a photograph with maybe some text on the back and then sometimes Max would comment on the item. But every time there was always a pattern of Depressing->More Depressing->Most Depressing to the interaction.

It would go like this:
Max finds a photograph of people next to a snowman.
The text indicates that somebody planted an IED in the head of the snowman and some of the people died.
Max says, "I wish we still lived in a time where we had the luxury to build snowmen."

It's just always this lonely nostalgia followed by a depressing scenario but then Max has to one-up it by telling us how much worse things are now.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I only remember one of those.

Picture: Person standing next to cute dog.
Writing on back: "Soooo cute!!! I could just eat him up!"
Max: "People didn't eat dogs then..."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ilmucche posted:

I won't read your spoiler, buy drat i wish I could play that game. Never got around to it after playing lost odyssey

I really wish Lost Odyssey would get a steam port or something because I don't have a 360 anymore. It was a cool game that did some interesting stuff. I liked that half the roster were immortals and gameplay-wise would auto-revive after a while and unlike normal people they could learn skills by equipping poo poo for a certain amount of battles. It was neat.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nuebot posted:

I really wish Lost Odyssey would get a steam port or something because I don't have a 360 anymore. It was a cool game that did some interesting stuff. I liked that half the roster were immortals and gameplay-wise would auto-revive after a while and unlike normal people they could learn skills by equipping poo poo for a certain amount of battles. It was neat.

Since Microsoft gave it away for free to Xbox owners awhile back, I don't think its going to happen. They probably figured they made all the money they could from the game.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

gently caress

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
Arkham Knight was 15 dollars and I heard they finally fixed the PC version, so I got it.

The first time I parked the Batmobile at the police station, when I came out 3 or 4 cops were standing around it talking about how cool it is before they notice Batman and get embarrased. "Oops, he's back!"

I also got into a fight where Catwoman was helping me and you can do some sick combo moves when you have a helper.

Pretty fun game so far.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

samu3lk posted:

Arkham Knight was 15 dollars and I heard they finally fixed the PC version, so I got it.

The first time I parked the Batmobile at the police station, when I came out 3 or 4 cops were standing around it talking about how cool it is before they notice Batman and get embarrased. "Oops, he's back!"

I also got into a fight where Catwoman was helping me and you can do some sick combo moves when you have a helper.

Pretty fun game so far.
Hope you like the Batmobile as much as they did!

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hope you like the Batmobile as much as they did!

It really is the star of the game. I don't even know why they bothered letting you get out of it, seeing how often they want you in it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

samu3lk posted:

Yeah I caught them taking selfies with it one time.

Also the Batmobile stuff really isn't that bad, I don't know why everyone has to whine about it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's one really terrible boss fight, other than that yeah it's not bad and huge parts of it are sidequests anyway.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Most of the bad stuff with the Batmobile is in sidequests, so if you don't bother with that stuff it's okay.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Nuebot posted:

If you have an XBone, it's available on their store. I think it's $25, but I don't remember exactly.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I remember all the build-up to the first time you get the Batmobile and how dramatic and cool it is and then I got to drive and I immediately drove into a building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Remember, they've only been rendered unconscious by the electrified bumper, they will suffer no lasting damage from the 80mph impact.