Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I wish more bookstores stocked Vann

By more I mean any, at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
come to spain, vann was the new fad here late last year

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Burning Rain posted:

come to spain, vann was the new fad here late last year

He's actually pretty popular in Europe, has won more awards from the European industry than domestic

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
lol @bookstores

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not aquarium?

gently caress you

Why do you keep recommending people read a fairly mediocre book?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Your mediocre pal

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Your mediocre pal

Don't sign your posts

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

gently caress

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Your mediocre pal

is that a new neapolitan trilogy spinoff

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Cloks posted:

Don't sign your posts

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Cloks posted:

Don't sign your posts

rekt

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Cloks posted:

Don't sign your posts

nice

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Im not owned ok

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Just started Larry Kramer's [bThe American People[/b]. First 20 pages are extremely my poo poo.

Good/bad opinion? I'll hang up and take my answer offline.

CelestialCookie
Oct 23, 2012

I See Dead People
Department of Speculation by Jenny Offil is p good.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Im not owned ok

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

reading the red-haired woman by orhan pamuk rn and it's aight, fam

SoCoRoBo
Mar 2, 2013
Reading Sabbath's Theatre by Philip Roth at the moment. Highly recommend, though it's very different from American Pastoral or The Human Stain (just assuming most people would be familiar with these as they're the most popular). Both of those are about essentially noble characters laid low by forces they can't control or understand. Pastoral is almost humorous in a King of the Hill kind of way, seeing this straight-laced Mr. America be subjected to the most ridiculous, vile treatment possible. There's a scene where he discovers his daughter living in absolute squalour after years of separation and proceeds to vomit in her face after getting a whiff of how bad she smells. But you ultimately feel a strong sympathy for them, there's a real sense that something good has been broken by the end.

Sabbath's Theatre is about the sexual exploits of an old, fat, arthritic, goatish pupeteer who has devoted his entire life to sex. He's a complete predatory degenerate with basically no redeeming qualities. He is genuinely disgusting to read about, to spend time in his mind is to feel tainted afterwards. And it's just amazing that Roth was able to pivot away from the essential nobility of the characters in Stain and Pastoral and inhabit this guy who has complete disdain for the idea of nobility or good or morality. I suppose it's not that surprising if you consider that there's a strong theme of trangressiveness and the brutal stupidity of human nature in Stain and Pastoral but it's so fully deployed here. He takes this character of Mickey Sabbath and just delights in his depravity, never shies away from it to morally condemn him.

Representative quote: “Yes, yes, yes, he felt uncontrollable tenderness for his own poo poo-filled life. And a laughable hunger for more. More defeat! More disappointment! More deceit! More loneliness! More arthritis! More missionaries! God willing, more oval office! More disastrous entanglement in everything. For a pure sense of being tumultuously alive, you can't beat the nasty side of existence.”

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
That sounds bad

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

SoCoRoBo posted:

Sabbath's Theatre is about the sexual exploits of an old, fat, arthritic, goatish pupeteer who has devoted his entire life to sex.

nah im good thanks

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm reading the Canterbury Tales for the first time since I was ine school at like 12. It's much better than I thought it was then, through a combination of being stupid, reading some kind of terrible translation and the fact we didn't do the tales where students revenge gently caress people's wives

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SoCoRoBo posted:

Sabbath's Theatre is about the sexual exploits of an old, fat, arthritic, goatish pupeteer who has devoted his entire life to sex. He's a complete predatory degenerate with basically no redeeming qualities.

think we should file this one under self help, too

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

People would enjoy poetry a lot more if they were taught the poems where people are explicitly very horny, rather than leading with the ones where their extreme horniness is implied.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

People would enjoy poetry a lot more if they were taught the poems where people are explicitly very horny, rather than leading with the ones where their extreme horniness is implied.

this pedagogical puritanism is the only reason i can think of why schoolchildren still read robert frost, who is my enemy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SoCoRoBo posted:

Sabbath's Theatre is about the sexual exploits of an old, fat, arthritic, goatish pupeteer who has devoted his entire life to sex. He's a complete predatory degenerate with basically no redeeming qualities.

So it's his autobiography

CestMoi posted:

Imagine if more people were introduced to classic literature with Chaucer and Boccaccio

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Philip Roth ambiguates me thoroughly. Some of his work is very good, some of it is very bad, and some of it is distinctly uninteresting. Even within the same novel.

I hesitate to read anything more from him because it feels a lot like shooting craps and a novel's worth of crapshooting usually means I have lost my money and am drunk.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Philip Roth and Ian McEwan are where the stereotype that Real Big Boy Lit is about horny English professors trying to gently caress their students comes from IMO

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

CestMoi posted:

He'll yea

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CestMoi posted:

I honestly don't understand why I initially hated you because now I see the light; you are a god of tbb

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

CestMoi posted:

I'm all for teaching Rimbaud in school

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mdemone posted:

Philip Roth ambiguates me thoroughly.

Nice sentence

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
actually; he' s good

SoCoRoBo
Mar 2, 2013

mdemone posted:

Philip Roth ambiguates me thoroughly. Some of his work is very good, some of it is very bad, and some of it is distinctly uninteresting. Even within the same novel.

I hesitate to read anything more from him because it feels a lot like shooting craps and a novel's worth of crapshooting usually means I have lost my money and am drunk.

I'd definitely recommend American Pastoral if you get the chance. It's nominally about the possibility of American sincerity/rationalism/exceptionalism and how flimsy those ideals really are. Obviously not the most novel theme in the world but what I think elevates it is that that's extended to a more abstract level, about the conflict between reason and unreason, the idea that your life can be organised along rational, predictable principles. If you want to relate it to the dominant conflict of the internet age: sincerity versus irony.

Burning Rain posted:

actually; he' s good

He is!

Lightning Lord posted:

Philip Roth and Ian McEwan are where the stereotype that Real Big Boy Lit is about horny English professors trying to gently caress their students comes from IMO

That doesn't describe any of his best work tbf. He definitely has his preoccupations but when he's on form he's genuinely great.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
For whom the bell tolls is pretty meh so far

is Hemmingway one of those writers everyone loves because he's so mediocre and everyman, or what?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I don't know why people may or may not like Hemingway derp. What I do know is that the Hemingway bits in recognitions, which I am reading right now, are very good.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
A friend told me that Kenzaburo Oe was the anti-Murakami. Can anyone familiar with his work tell me which of his books to read first?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

derp posted:

For whom the bell tolls is pretty meh so far

is Hemmingway one of those writers everyone loves because he's so mediocre and everyman, or what?

I generally enjoy him, but I found For Whom the Bell Tolls way overlong for his style.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

anyone know if there's a translation of the Avellaneda sequel to don Quixote?

e: nevermind

VileLL fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cloks posted:

A friend told me that Kenzaburo Oe was the anti-Murakami. Can anyone familiar with his work tell me which of his books to read first?

Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids or A Personal Matter

A Personal Matter is his masterpiece but I hate the ending.

Don't read Somersault