Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

VitalSigns posted:

So we're just going to ignore passing NAFTA for the sake of The Narrative, are we?

George H.W. Bush actually negotiated and passed NAFTA. Clinton did choose to not pull out during the period before it came into force by signing the ratified treaty, though.

NAFTA was negotiated in 1990 and signed in 1992. It came into force in 1994.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Mustached Demon posted:

gently caress up any rule of gun safety you get gun infractions. Too many you lose your gun privileges. Shoot yourself on accident? You get publicly shamed and we take your gun.

Well, only the one you shot yourself if you have more than one, you don't want to take this too far

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Avirosb posted:

MyPillow® is the best pillow and I'll pillow-fight anyone who says otherwise.

Pillow.

I have an old Simmons BeautyRest pillow that is 80 Feather and 20 down (or maybe the opposite) that I have been using for like 7 years. It is amazing (feels kind of like dough, you kind of melt into it. You have to use a smaller pillow underneath of it, though).

It's falling apart and I want to get a new one, but can't find the same pillow anywhere. The tag is all faded and all I can see is "RN 19238" and "80/20"

Is MyPillow a good substitute? Or do you know where I could find a replacement for my old pillow that is identical?

TIA

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

well he didn't call him a fag so there's that

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894528885701971970

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894508048844279809
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894512983384129536
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894514535062790144
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894515865802223616
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894518002795900928
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894521737534197762
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894525428236464128
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894526670836781056
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/894528885701971970

Yup, working really hard in NJ

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

more MORE give me MORE YOU FAT STUPID BITCH

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

awesome-express posted:

But eh, stuff takes time to implement properly. They care about their community but it's always a fine line especially now that they're publicly traded and have investors to report to.

Also big companies are inefficient and inagile.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It also turns out that political speech has an extremely low watermark for passing the Turing test and tons of people love engaging with bots.

probably related to people's love for engaging with fallacious arguments or arguments made in bad faith (and, incidentally, the reward in being a troll who argues for the purpose of creating a rise). I've learned that when it comes to politics, a lot of people just want to be mad at other people; bots, then, are indistinguishable from real people because they can easily fit into a paradigm to appeal to this desire.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

George H.W. Bush actually negotiated and passed NAFTA. Clinton did choose to not pull out during the period before it came into force by signing the ratified treaty, though.

NAFTA was negotiated in 1990 and signed in 1992. It came into force in 1994.

GHW Bush negotiated NAFTA, but it passed both houses of Congress in November 1993.

I assume you know this and this is just your usual gimmick.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

pacerhimself posted:

Yup, working really hard in NJ

It's been said but I wanna say it myself: whoever is the next president is gonna have a cakewalk acting "presidential".

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Always figured the Turing test was just Alan Turing trolling some MBA type. A test that abstruse and meaningless, no way a guy as smart as Turing thought it was worth anything.

Like what does it even mean to write a script that convinces someone it's human without any context for the interaction.

And who are we convincing, a smart person who is looking for ai, a dumb person who isn't

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

crime fighting hog posted:

It's been said but I wanna say it myself: whoever is the next president is gonna have a cakewalk acting "presidential".

You say that now, but just wait!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mustached Demon posted:

First: register to vote like tomorrow or something. Does the county allow that? I dunno I've never lived somewhere where same day registering wasn't allowed.

It's weird because where I'm from it's blood red union central. Racism probably.

Have to sell it right in both cases me thinks. It's all about the DNC being the party of the working man.

I was googling and the process is fairly simple. There's no elections here until spring so I'm good.

Actually race is a big part of it. Any blue collar people I talk to who work with minorities routinely claim that the minority coworkers are the ones who are responsible for all the problems in the workplace and lazy, etc. I've been told outright that unionization is bad because it would benefit lazy coworkers. It's really depressing.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Has there every been any actual data showing mental illness is any real part of the US murder rate? Like beyond a real hurf derf "you'd have to be crazy to kill someone!" nonsense.

I should've phrased it as gun violence, as many gun deaths are related to suicide. Programs to help domestic violence survivors escape their absuers would also help matters. Also, better mental healthcare would reduce the number of mass shooter incidents if we could get school counseling programs more support.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Soros is code for Jew, right?

Yeah basically. The alt-right is hugely steeped in anti-semitism and perpetuation of conspiracy theories related to such. See also "globalism," a term they use as shorthand to assert that both free trade policies and multiculturalism are evil Jewish elitist conspiracies.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Whoa look at those goalposts go!

9 million more people voted for Republican congressional candidates in 1994 than did in 1990. Only 800K fewer voted for Democrats in the same period. I'm arguing that many more people are driven to vote by hating Democrats and progressive action than by that same progressive action.

You attempted to show that NAFTA drove a lot of people to vote against Democrats; your exact same paper shows that even more people were driven to vote against Democrats because they supported tax increases and greater spending. My goal posts haven't moved.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm not sure you could reasonably argue the 1994 Republican surge was because of NAFTA, NAFTA didn't see widespread opposition on the right until much later. Most of the people who opposed free trade policies at that point were left-wing or OWS style generally anti-establishment, like the people who protested in Seattle in '99(?).

I was under the impression that the '94 Republican sweep was generally regarded as a response to the failed attempt at universal healthcare by Clinton in '93.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

GHW Bush negotiated NAFTA, but it passed both houses of Congress in November 1993.

I assume you know this and this is just your usual gimmick.

It was signed by Bush and the leaders of Canada and Mexico in December of 1992, while Bush was a lame duck and it had not yet been ratified by Congress.

Clinton added two amendments to NAFTA and signed the bill after Congress ratified it in 1993.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Junior G-man posted:

There's an extraordinary longread article in Vanity Fair about the Department of Energy in the Age of Trump.

It's long but please take your time to read it; it shows that the long-term dangers of this administration are (probably) not Russia or some catastrophic event, but the hollowing out of very difficult but hugely necessary public institutions like the DoE that actually keep people safe and the world ticking by and how they need to be carefully handed over from one administration to another. It's not just the EPA, but the DoE under *shudder* Rick Perry. This is the real danger and long-term harm that Trump will leave behind him.

Some quotes:

I could quote the whole drat thing, but as I said, it's an extensive read but well worth it. Might make you lose some sleep.

Sweet monkey Jesus

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

a cat on an apple posted:

probably related to people's love for engaging with fallacious arguments or arguments made in bad faith (and, incidentally, the reward in being a troll who argues for the purpose of creating a rise). I've learned that when it comes to politics, a lot of people just want to be mad at other people; bots, then, are indistinguishable from real people because they can easily fit into a paradigm to appeal to this desire.

This is a different phenomenon, but it reminds me of the reddit gimmick account The Racist Sniffing Dog, who would just post "woof woof woof" at racist comments, and the racists would always defend themselves across multiple dog responses.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/894526884528181248

Everything circles back to TV with him.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Thread needs more Billie

https://twitter.com/billie4congress/status/892036925237993473
https://twitter.com/billie4congress/status/891654923561164800
https://twitter.com/billie4congress/status/892101139717652480
https://twitter.com/billie4congress/status/894318729911304192
https://twitter.com/billie4congress/status/891359870150115330

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't Kelly supposed to be controlling Trump's tweets? Looks like he dropped the ball.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gently caress this guy.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Why yes, that is what a person with learning disabilities might think.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/894540406897213440

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

loving hell that face.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Randbrick posted:

Always figured the Turing test was just Alan Turing trolling some MBA type. A test that abstruse and meaningless, no way a guy as smart as Turing thought it was worth anything.

Like what does it even mean to write a script that convinces someone it's human without any context for the interaction.

And who are we convincing, a smart person who is looking for ai, a dumb person who isn't

I think the goal is to convince someone that is not actively looking for ai. in discourse of good faith, presumably you would not discredit the argument based on the person behind the argument, so an ai good enough at regurgitating talking points in such a way that seems like fluent, believable human speech could efficiently do precisely that.

the real question we should be asking is if being an ai inherently discredits the argument posted by the ai, which in the near future will be a serious consideration as ais will be able to engage in discourse and offer real-time responses to common rejections of arguments and thus will be used to great effect for spreading (dis)information. they already are, but right now we have significant portions of either side screaming that the other is full of shills or bots which only induces paranoia.

if we were trying to convince the former, then it would not work for aforementioned paranoia. "if you smell poo poo everywhere you go, check your shoe" because it's you. you're the ai

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
At least we don't have to worry about Kelly possibly cutting off our supply of insane TrumpTweets. :confuoot:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Edible Hat posted:

Wasn't Kelly supposed to be controlling Trump's tweets? Looks like he dropped the ball.

These are pretty benign and not really in his style. The ellipsis leading to a second part is a recent innovation for him and probably a new staffer/home nurse, isn't it?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Writing a "Is this the Trump pivot???" article or op-ed should result in immediate black listing from all media jobs.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

business hammocks posted:

These are pretty benign and not really in his style. The ellipsis leading to a second part is a recent innovation for him and probably a new staffer/home nurse, isn't it?

Nah, he's been doing multi-part tweets for a while now

You can tell it's him because he takes 5-10 minutes to type out each one

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Radish posted:

Writing a "Is this the Trump pivot???" article or op-ed should result in immediate black listing from all media jobs.

The only pivot is when he drops more cruise missiles to no real effect. That's how you Become A President.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

9 million more people voted for Republican congressional candidates in 1994 than did in 1990. Only 800K fewer voted for Democrats in the same period. I'm arguing that many more people are driven to vote by hating Democrats and progressive action than by that same progressive action.

You attempted to show that NAFTA drove a lot of people to vote against Democrats; your exact same paper shows that even more people were driven to vote against Democrats because they supported tax increases and greater spending. My goal posts haven't moved.

You claimed NAFTA had zero effect; it's not true and it complicates your narrative that the 1994 midterms were a "rejection of taxes and civil rights and healthcare".

NAFTA was conservative Republican legislation that betrayed a key Democratic constituency, and the crime bill was another conservative law and a betrayal of poor minority voters and had a similar-sized effect electorally.

The 1993 budget was to the left of Ronald Reagan, sure, but very conservative even by establishment Democrat standards. 39% is hardly soaking the rich, it's drastically lower than anything even the most conservative Democrat would have tolerated the last time they held the presidency, much of the revenue went to conservative goals like deficit reduction instead of helping people, and the spending increases on social welfare were good but firmly within the range of liberal orthodoxy. I'm not familiar with the details of polling on that, so opposition to it could have been a rejection of taxing the rich and spending increases, or it could have just been the tax increases were enough to make the people affected by them mad but the spending increases were too tepid to bring in enough support to counterbalance that. Neither of those can be asserted without data.

You can't really call 1994 a rejection of health care, because the Democrats were unable to agree on a plan despite majority control of the chamber, which made them look incompetent and allowed Republicans to run on a platform of Democrats can't govern, look they can't even get anything done. Republicans also pioneered their tactic of sabotaging the government by filibustering everything to frustrate voters and then running as the anti-government party, and like under Obama that worked well as people blamed the people in charge rather than the people loving things up.

Civil rights and gay rights, yeah a rejection of that played a part most likely, especially in the South. For a long time the Democratic party was able to push civil rights federally while running local candidates in conservative areas who would bring home pork and money to the district. But that change had been coming for a while as conservative Democrats switched parties, or retired and Democrats lost that institutional advantage of a longtime incumbent on powerful committees. The Republican strategy in 1994 worked very well in breaking up the last holdouts, by sabotaging and gridlocking government they got people mad at insiders and career politicians, and were able to turn that access to pork into somewhat of a liability in many races as they made the election about "outsiders" vs "corrupt insiders".

It's a lot more complicated than "Clinton was to the left of Reagan and lost the midterms, must have been too left and we need to move right", many of your claims have no evidence to back them up and much of the evidence gathered in the wake of the midterms directly contradicts your theory.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 7, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was wondering why Trump was going after Blumenthal again (he did this months ago), and sure enough, he was on TV.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Kelly will totally get Trump under control :downsbravo:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Junior G-man posted:

The only pivot is when he drops more cruise missiles to no real effect. That's how you Become A President.

Also reading a speech someone wrote for you without making GBS threads yourself is also how you become Real.

Remember despite the hang wringing op-eds written by 50+ years olds in the New York Times and WaPo, it's not the millennials that give out feel good participation trophies, it's the boomers. They are just doing the same for their President.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has anyone put forth the idea that Trump's twitter is a bot?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trump is actually a million Russian bots in a fat suit.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

Trump is actually a million Russian bots in a fat suit.

Somebody shop a .gif of Oogie Boogie from The Nightmare Before Christmas into this pls tia

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Radish posted:

Since "next six months" is now referred to as a Friedman Unit, from his horrible analysis of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, we should refer to these articles as "Zakari-ing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i am actually very upset to find out that Kid Rock is a father

• Locked thread