Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Hal Jordan and before everyone gets out the whackin' sticks, come on now, Kyle's book had gotten extremely dire and Rebirth is why the Green Lanterns are a cornerstone of the DCU who can support multiple titles now that are actually good.

Yeah but Hal Jordan himself became a worse character for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CapnAndy posted:

Hal Jordan and before everyone gets out the whackin' sticks, come on now, Kyle's book had gotten extremely dire and Rebirth is why the Green Lanterns are a cornerstone of the DCU who can support multiple titles now that are actually good.

I was going to say Hal Jordan until Johns ran out of ideas

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

CzarChasm posted:

1) Superman
2)

I mean everyone else I can think of who died was either replaced by someone I like better, or didn't really improve the comic after coming back.

Swamp Thing

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I'm sure at least one of Jean Grey's resurrections improved an X-book somewhere along the line.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ecavalli posted:

I'm sure at least one of Jean Grey's resurrections improved an X-book somewhere along the line.

If we count it, then her first "resurrection" into Phoenix early on in Claremont's run.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Roth posted:

If we count it, then her first "resurrection" into Phoenix early on in Claremont's run.

That's what I was leaning towards, but that resurrection didn't get notably good until she went from Phoenix to Dark Phoenix. On the other hand, any form of Phoenix beats the milquetoast reminder of 1960s-era sexuality that is Marvel Girl, so yeah, it's definitely a step up from the previous status quo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The Punisher died and then became an angel and then was redeemed by Garth Ennis. Does that count?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I still think Angel Punisher wasn't a bad idea, just a badly-written one. Frankencastle was amazing, for example.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lurdiak posted:

I still think Angel Punisher wasn't a bad idea, just a badly-written one. Frankencastle was amazing, for example.

While agreeing with Lurdiak is painful, this is 100% true.

Angel Punisher could have been amazing in the hands of the right creators.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wasn't Mary Jane dead at some point? Spider-Man comics are definitely better with her in them than without.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Angel Punisher could have been amazing in the hands of the right creators.

I'd say that's the case for most general ideas. I say that mostly because there are a bunch of stupid ideas that ended up working out against all odds.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

SonicRulez posted:

Wasn't Mary Jane dead at some point? Spider-Man comics are definitely better with her in them than without.
I mean, kind of technically? There's a really large part of Spider-Man's extended cast and crew who spent pretty long stretches dead, then came back.

Norman Osborn died in 1973 and came back in 1996.
Kraven killed himself in 1987 and came back a few years ago.
Harry Osborn died in 1993 and came back in 2008.
Doctor Octopus was killed by Kaine during the Clone Saga but got resurrected by the Hand a couple of years later.
Aunt May died in 1995 and came back a couple of years later at the end of the Clone Saga.
Mary Jane was "dead" for about a year and a half in 2000-2001, or I guess stalked by a mutant who teleported her off of an airplane right before it blew up and kept her kidnapped?
Both Ben Reilly and Kaine were killed at the end of the Clone Saga but are back now.

Probably most of his other villains/sidekicks were apparently killed at some point (Rhino, Electro, Silver Sable, Kingpin, Kingpin and Carnage several times apiece just in the past decade) I feel like those are more "they're gone.... OR ARE THEY" tropes than full on "we're going to tell stories about their deaths" though I guess Spider-Man got mega-mopey about Sable dying, until he forgot about it.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Is the general consensus that Hellboy (possible spoiler for the end of the Hellboy series) left hell for heaven at the very end of "The Descent" when he walked upstairs into that rundown mansion into the top room with the floating gold geometric shapes, and then the sort of light beam out of the roof, in the last few scenes?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SonicRulez posted:

No, she just fell into a portal created by a device invented by the Spot, but then modified by the Green Goblin. Meanwhile a sentient water clone that was created by Miles Warren out of Hydro Man took her place.

Also Spider-Man couldn't disturb pigeons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

No, she just fell into a portal created by a device invented by the Spot, but then modified by the Green Goblin. Meanwhile a sentient water clone that was created by Miles Warren out of Hydro Man took her place.

Also Spider-Man couldn't disturb pigeons.

Or hit anyone.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Dennis McClaren posted:

Is the general consensus that Hellboy (possible spoiler for the end of the Hellboy series) left hell for heaven at the very end of "The Descent" when he walked upstairs into that rundown mansion into the top room with the floating gold geometric shapes, and then the sort of light beam out of the roof, in the last few scenes?

This whole comment is a spoiler so forgive me for tagging the whole thing:

Seems likely, although the title of the current BPRD arc (The Devil You Know) might hint towards him coming back to life even briefly. BTW, the geometric shapes are from the short story Mignola did with his daughter, The Magician and the Snake.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 6, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
They never did find Mary Jane in the cartoon either. She is still wondering around out there somewhere.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They ended the cartoon with spider going "hey let's find her" which was such a weird endpoint.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

If I remember right the plan was to have her end up in victorian England, where Jack The Ripper was Carnage.

No idea how they'd do that when Carnage wasn't allowed to kill or even actually injure anyone. Ah, 90s cartoons.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"MARY JAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE! YOOOOOOUUUU CAN'T ESCAPE MEEEEEE! I'LL FOLLOWYOUTOTHE ENDS OF THE EAAAAAAAAAARTH!"

(But seriously, Christopher Daniel Barnes is the definitive voice of Spider-Man.)

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Brofessor Slayton posted:

If I remember right the plan was to have her end up in victorian England, where Jack The Ripper was Carnage.

No idea how they'd do that when Carnage wasn't allowed to kill or even actually injure anyone. Ah, 90s cartoons.

I hope the plan was to have Carnage's voice actor attempt an English accent.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Were there plans for another season outside of the british time traveling plot

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Were there plans for another season outside of the british time traveling plot

You know they could easily turn that into 8 episodes.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wheat Loaf posted:

"MARY JAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE! YOOOOOOUUUU CAN'T ESCAPE MEEEEEE! I'LL FOLLOWYOUTOTHE ENDS OF THE EAAAAAAAAAARTH!"

(But seriously, Christopher Daniel Barnes is the definitive voice of Spider-Man.)

It's weird because it doesn't even feel like he has competition even though I know I've heard a whole bunch of different guys voice Spider-Man.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Josh Keaton is always who I hear in my head when reading Spider-Man.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

It depends on the artist, but I still usually hear him when I read Spidey.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Personally, it's Paul Soles. Of course I grew up watching reruns of the 60s Spidey. CDB's good too but I think he was kind of doing a tribute to Soles anyway

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I remember Spidey's voice from the Electric Company. :spidey:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If you just imagine Spider-Man speaking instead of dramatically reading all of his dialogue out loud yourself, I'm not sure you really "get" the Everyman Hero.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Lightning Lord posted:

This whole comment is a spoiler so forgive me for tagging the whole thing:

Seems likely, although the title of the current BPRD arc (The Devil You Know) might hint towards him coming back to life even briefly. BTW, the geometric shapes are from the short story Mignola did with his daughter, The Magician and the Snake.

This is really cool. I forgot where those shapes came from, you're right! I think maybe my theory is true. Anyway..

I didn't know they had a new BPRD coming out! And so recently that I can go pick it up. That's kind of surprising to me because Basically the whole earth minus Liz was obliterated at the end of the Hell on Earth saga. I mean not entirely, but most of the whole B.P.R.D. cast has been lost. I would find it shocking they keep trying to force more throwback agents at us that we're not familiar with..

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

prefect posted:

I remember Spidey's voice from the Electric Company. :spidey:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Battle Chasers actually a good comic?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It might have been? I remember liking it when it was coming out, but I haven't read it since and that was like over ten years ago?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Fox cartoon had a lot of problems, but you can't fault its voice cast. It has the definitive voices for a lot of the characters, including Kingpin, Spider-man and Hobgoblin(discount Joker, hooray!).

The definitive Green Goblin and Jonah Jameson voices are obviously from the Sam Raimi films.

Lightning Lord posted:

Personally, it's Paul Soles. Of course I grew up watching reruns of the 60s Spidey. CDB's good too but I think he was kind of doing a tribute to Soles anyway

Paul Soles is good but he's a little too deep-voiced for Spider-man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Schneider Heim posted:

Is Battle Chasers actually a good comic?

It's very pretty but the story never goes anywhere and it ends abruptly with no closure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

The definitive Green Goblin and Jonah Jameson voices are obviously from the Sam Raimi films.

I remember when I saw the first Raimi movie, I thought Simmons was basically doing Ed Asner from the cartoon.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Rhyno posted:

It's very pretty but the story never goes anywhere and it ends abruptly with no closure.

Eh, I'll probably pass, then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The only thing I know about Battle Chasers besides the FF7 anecdote is that a lovely youtube guy was "relieved the creators aren't pandering to non-fans" by making the girls' costumes less revealing in he kickstarter for the video game.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember when I saw the first Raimi movie, I thought Simmons was basically doing Ed Asner from the cartoon.

They're similar takes on the voice but I don't know how else a cigar-smoking grumpus could sound. Simmons is the best Jameson we've ever had or ever will have.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 7, 2017

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Battlechasers is best left in the 90s

Source: bought it a year or two ago on sale

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Jameson still mayor of NYC? I hope Marvel's big summer crossover event in 2020 is Jameson running for president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is Jameson still mayor of NYC? I hope Marvel's big summer crossover event in 2020 is Jameson running for president.

Nope he had to resign because of blackmail material Dr. Spider-octopus released of him. Or something. Like most of Slott's stories I barely remember it. But his political career is over.