Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

exmarx posted:

Bronn WILL save Tyene, i have faith

Oh I wish it were so, then he'd get a castle and the girl.

And some bad poosay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Still the most ridiculous part of the episode was Missandei not knowing what a bastard is. You'd expect that the queen's senior advisor and translator would spend her copious free time reading up on the culture and history of westeros, not to mention that the concept of marriage and illegitimate children surely exists in Meereen where she spent her entire life and noble families are very much a thing.

And then twenty miliseconds later she's all like "well we're so socially progressive so the very concept doesn't even exist" like the gently caress, you come to this new continent and the first thing you do is poo poo all over their customs?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Like, house Targaryen has such a long and bloody history when it comes to bastards, did Missandei not even bother to catch up during that 15 minute boat ride from Meereen to Dragonstone? When she sat there in Meereen drinking wine and telling knock knock jokes with Tyrion they didn't spent any time talking about the history of the targaryens and westeros?

"And oh yeah then the Targs fought each other for over a century because the king legitimized all of his bastards, no biggie though"

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The show's already getting rid of Littlefinger in like two episodes, and it should keep Bran because I like him no matter where he is on the spectrum.

From this point on I'm referring​ to him as Dr Branhatten.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I finally understood what reaction Sophie Turner was supposed to portray in her scenes with Arya - she is supposed to be afraid of her (or at least look like it). Only that way it makes sense that LF things him planting the letter has any effect.

Very stupid but at least I now understand the plot writers want to tell.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Jon and Dany have a painfully awkward scene in the dragonglass mine that I think was supposed to be romantic but really wasn't. Dany says she believes Jon and will help him, but only if he bends the knee.

Dug back through this thread to find your pose, because D&D confirmed this on the "Inside the Episode" for tonight's episode. Benioff says there's political tension between the two on whose cause is more worth, but "to make it more complicated, they're starting to be attracted to each other...it's not necessarily in the dialog but in seeing the two of them in a small space where we can watch and feel the heat of it".

I mean it's not the first offense, but using the supplementary content to double-down on plot/character development that didn't work on screen is kinda cheese-ing it. Just last episode they played up a trope reversal where Danny and Jon met after seven seasons and it went badly enough that Jon thought he was going to be a political prisoner. The trajectory of their mutual plot is pretty obvious, but's kinda hammy to try to think they could wedge in romantic tension into a scene, or even an episode, where two emotionally-numb characters are just barely even finding common ground.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It's gonna be great when they eventually gently caress and the only emotional impact viewers get out of it is "huh, I guess they like each other now?"

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Jon does know that Dany is his aunt, right?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Zippy the Bummer posted:

if people actually watched the god drat show instead of spending half of it typing away on their phones it might avoid so much bullshit confusion

I just rewatched season 6 and I got to ask... what was the point of that baby scene? There's the scene where Young Ned goes into the tower and meets his sister (?) and she hands him something -- Robert's crown I assume? Then there's this random cut to a baby for a few seconds, and then it cuts to a Jon scene for some reason. Who was that baby? Is the baby going to be turned into a WW? Is the baby part of Bran's vision for some reason??? Is it baby Khaleesi? Is this some artsy symbolic thing that I'm too dumb to understand?

Please help me understand. This is all so confusing.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
The Brienne Arya sparring session was loving poo poo.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Hey I hate spoilers but I accidentally read one in an article comment. :mad:

Please just answer this: is Bronn getting torched next week by Drogon?

Now that I saw it, I have to know. Then I'm going to unfollow and unlike everything TV related in my social media. Yes, I know I'm crazy.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

A mostly bad episode, and this season is easily the worst by a large margin, but its hard to say ill of that battle scene. Its not just the excitement and drama of it, but theres some beautiful shots in there that I wasn't expecting at all.

I also like the symmetry it has with the Battle of the Blackwater.

Gorn Myson fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 7, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This season is terrible but it's way better than 5 and 6.

We still didn't reach Bad Pussy and Twenty Good Men levels of "what the gently caress".

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Yeah if you think this is worse than season 5 then you're not remembering it very well.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

some guy on the bus posted:

Jon does know that Dany is his aunt, right?

No, Bran is still the only one who knows and he doesn't know how to explain anything to anyone anymore. Or he doesn't care to.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Too bad Ramsey is gone. He could've taken the dragon with his good doggies

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

13Pandora13 posted:

I just said it's the best ep of the last couple seasons cool your jets.

it's not. the sept blowing up episode is. did people forget that episode happened or something.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

banned from Starbucks posted:

i like when the 200+ lb amazons swing was parried by the 90 lb girls stick thing then got up 2 sec after getting kicked directly in the chest without so much as getting winded because she swept the assassins guilds floor a lot

this isn't pro wrestling, you don't need to lay on the floor and sell

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Yeah if you think this is worse than season 5 then you're not remembering it very well.
Its way worse because its far more boring. Even the potentially great scenes (the Stark reunions, Jon Snow meeting Dany, Olenna's death) have been pissed away with some incredibly tedious dialogue. At least with season 5 and 6 they are still in that place where you think "okay, it might not be great, it might not make sense, but there will be at least one really good scene in this episode". Now its "uh...I guess maybe there will be one good action scene at some point during this season".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This season is mediocre but it doesn't reach the same depths of terrible 5 & 6 did.

I agree it's lame that they're just checking off plot points but they've been doing that for a while now and at least now they've lost the pretense of giving a poo poo, which has been an improvement.

More importantly this season discards the boring elements that went nowhere, which was really what bogged down seasons 5 & 6.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Stop loving watching it then.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not. the sept blowing up episode is. did people forget that episode happened or something.

That was so badass and it had such great cinematography, yet I can't feel good about it cause plot wise it felt completely flat.

Way to make Cersei kill every interesting character in one fell swoop and suffer no consequences for it, show.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
She doesn't even give a poo poo that it drive Tommen to suicide. That's a seriously crazy Cersei plot point--her children are the only thing she cares about earlier in the series--and only Jaime even tries to give a poo poo about it.

I'd say she gives more attention to Myrcella in that one dungeon scene than she's given Tommen in the full time since he died, but at this point I think that was just an excuse to torture people.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

three posted:

Both Bronn and Jamie dodged a dragon's flames that were apparently big/wide enough to turn a group of >8 people huddled together into ashes. They are ninjas.

Since these "dragons" are wyverns maybe they get sick iframes for belly flopping.

On another note, I'm very relieved Bronn didn't become dumb. Every scene with him was gold.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Propaganda Machine posted:

She doesn't even give a poo poo that it drive Tommen to suicide. That's a seriously crazy Cersei plot point--her children are the only thing she cares about earlier in the series--and only Jaime even tries to give a poo poo about it.

I'd say she gives more attention to Myrcella in that one dungeon scene than she's given Tommen in the full time since he died, but at this point I think that was just an excuse to torture people.

Well, Joff and Myrcella were both murdered and have never rejected Cersei, Tommen's suicide was pretty much a big 'gently caress you mom!".

It would have been nice if the show explored this for a bit because it kind of makes sense and explains Cersei's motivations in a way that is consistent with her defining traits, and really she always considered Tommen to be the weakest and least worthy of the bunch.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Did I miss it, or in all the Sansa meets Bran, Sansa meets Arya, Arya meets Bran reunions no one mention Rickon whatsoever? Poor Rickon.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

canepazzo posted:

Did I miss it, or in all the Sansa meets Bran, Sansa meets Arya, Arya meets Bran reunions no one mention Rickon whatsoever? Poor Rickon.

Rickon's loving dead because he couldn't run serpentine. No one wants to talk about the Stark failson.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well I think they all assumed each other were dead. It's kind of implied to them if you're not here you're toast.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

canepazzo posted:

Kid died.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Bran already knows everything anyways so he has no reason to ask, I imagine Sansa told Arya or Arya found out through the grapevine. Not like Rickon ever got to talk, couldn't even run serpentine.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Yes I understand they would have mentioned it at some point offscreen but as it is the big Stark family reunion, not to mention Bran was thought to have been killed and burned by Theon alongside Rickon up until now, you'd think they would have a line about Rickon.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This season is mediocre but it doesn't reach the same depths of terrible 5 & 6 did.

I agree it's lame that they're just checking off plot points but they've been doing that for a while now and at least now they've lost the pretense of giving a poo poo, which has been an improvement.

More importantly this season discards the boring elements that went nowhere, which was really what bogged down seasons 5 & 6.

It also discards Ramsay, which legitimately improves everything by like half a grade for every episode.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bloom posted:

The battle scene owns in HD. Horny Dad Davos owns. Bronn laughing at "Dickon" owns.

If the show would just get rid of Jon, Dan, Bran and Littlefinger it would own all over.

I at least agree with you about Littlefinger. He is no longer interesting to me. I use to like him a lot when he owned his brothel.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Don't kill the dragons please :(

Kill everyone else I don't care

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
so I've seen some people annoyed that the presumably shallow river Jaime ride along and fell into was actually super deep. that's silly though because the show goes out of its way to note the big sandstone buttes and whatever and presumably the river is the top of a flooded slot canyon since that's the same geological type of thing

now as to why it's flooded in winter instead of spring, two suns maybe?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

banned from Starbucks posted:

i like when the 200+ lb amazons swing was parried by the 90 lb girls stick thing then got up 2 sec after getting kicked directly in the chest without so much as getting winded because she swept the assassins guilds floor a lot

Hey that's not fair. The waif also beat the poo poo out of her with a stick for a while :v:

am0kgonzo posted:

:agreed:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The original plot outline had Jaime charging Dany on a bridge.

The water was really simply as deep as the plot requires, any further analysis will literally be putting more thought into it than anyone did once it was decided that the scene can't take place on a bridge for whatever reason.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

am0kgonzo posted:

So loving wrong.

It's about the characters, not the choreography. This is why the Obi-Wan/Vader fight in A New Hope is more exciting than anything from the prequels.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really liked the direction in that battle, so I looked up who the director was, and apparently before GOT he's mainly famous for directing like 50 episodes of that action-heavy show It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
There's so many goons who don't understand the concept of sparring or character motivations that aren't written on the screen in giant flashing letters.

• Locked thread