Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I HOPE YOU'RE RIGHT

Sorry, caps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Frankston posted:

Yeah this is the biggest issue I find with it. It doesn't deserve the name Sonic 4.

I mean even if it had the name sonic scrubbed from it entirely it still wouldn't be a good platformer

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Dimps games: I don't even want to entertain these here but I will. A focus on speed above all else, at the expense of momentum. Takes a cure from the 3D games and puts the whole things over a giant bottomless pit. Abuses homing attack chains in later entries. Sonic Advance 1 and Pocket Adventure are the only ones that aren't poo poo. Trying to unlock Super Sonic\Amy in Advance 2 is just hosed up and cruel.

The Sonic Rush games (and by association, Colors DS) weren't terrible either but otherwise yeah, I agree (it also pretty much invented the Boost mechanic used in Unleashed onward).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do agree that Sonic Mania wouldn't be a good fit for the Sonic 4 name because it remakes old levels.

But it got me thinking. Things get rebooted all the time and will go with the name of the original. Need For Speed, Devil May Cry, Need For Speed Most Wanted, even Sonic The Hedgehog. Why the hell not do it with a numbered sequel? Let Taxman and crew make a new, real Sonic The Hedgehog 4, pull a PT and remove all traces of the fake Dimps game from all digital storefronts and make it impossible to redownload, and let us move on as a society. Let the healing begin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is starting to get weirdly obsessive about a number. Why not just... make Sonic 5?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I won't be ready for Sonic 5 until the 30s.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic 4 exists and the lessons we learned from it should not be forgotten. Just make Sonic Mania CD.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

MAke Sonic World Adventure 2

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Sonic Mania & Knuckles!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Idea: They discover the underwater island of Demon Island and have to stop Robotnik from gathering the Order Emeralds.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Detective No. 27 posted:

Idea: They discover the underwater island of Demon Island and have to help Kintobor gather the Order Emeralds.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Larryb posted:

The Sonic Rush games (and by association, Colors DS) weren't terrible either but otherwise yeah, I agree (it also pretty much invented the Boost mechanic used in Unleashed onward).

That's because Hideki Naganuma of Jet Set Radio fame did the music and he's like the best video game music guy after Yuzo Koshiro

Detective No. 27 posted:

I do agree that Sonic Mania wouldn't be a good fit for the Sonic 4 name because it remakes old levels.

But it got me thinking. Things get rebooted all the time and will go with the name of the original. Need For Speed, Devil May Cry, Need For Speed Most Wanted, even Sonic The Hedgehog. Why the hell not do it with a numbered sequel? Let Taxman and crew make a new, real Sonic The Hedgehog 4, pull a PT and remove all traces of the fake Dimps game from all digital storefronts and make it impossible to redownload, and let us move on as a society. Let the healing begin.

Yeah just do this please Sega.

It wouldn't even be the first time someone has done it. Square-Enix released Final Fantasy XIV and it was terrible beyond belief, so they cancelled the game and made another game also called Final Fantasy XIV that was actually really good. Nowadays a lot of people don't even realize that first game ever existed and that FFXIV is their third, not second, MMO. They effectively wiped a bad sequel out of existence by making another one with the same name to save face.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

yuzo koshirowns

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Just make the next game Sonic SSD. Gotta load fast.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. What funny is him and a few other people say that Sonic CD is "extremely hideous and ugly" and I can't disagree more. It looks cool as hell.
It's a level by level thing, but Palmtree Panic present is kinda off and anyone who hates the game probably hasn't gotten anywhere. I do agree that several of the levels look cool as hell, I about swooned irl at the use of NMM in Metallic Madness good future. That's like the ultimate 80s big painting sci-fi, and it just looks fantastic.

I'm surprised no one ever made a fangame of just like, CD without the time travel gimmick. Just three acts per zone set up like normal Sonic levels.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

"Sonic CD is ugly"

That's why we don't have anything that's even remotely as aesthetically original as Sonic CD.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love how Sonic CD looks and sounds. It's the gameplay that's meh. Still better than all the 2D games that aren't 1, 2 3&K and probably Mania though.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Andre Banzai posted:

"Sonic CD is ugly"

That's why we don't have anything that's even remotely as aesthetically original as Sonic CD.

Just my opinion, but this is way too busy

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zelder posted:

I agree. Also the blues in the background are fairly close to Sonic's pallet.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Andre Banzai posted:

"Sonic CD is ugly"

This is cluttered as hell. And the colors are too harsh.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Okay, on lunch break I was thinking about what the Taxman and Stealth should do after Sonic Mania. I'm gonna pitch a game that would be the Sonic game to end all Sonic games. Here's my pitch:

Remember Sonic Jam for Saturn? Sonic Mega Collection? Well, move over, because it's time for SUPER SONIC JAM

The definitive versions of Sonic 1, 2 and CD are the Taxman's remakes in the retro engine. Unfortunately, 1 and 2 are only for cellphones and Sonic 3 & Knuckles hasn't been done (although the Sonic 3 Complete romhack is the best version of that game.) It's the collection of the best possible versions of all the 16-bit era Sonic games, in wide screen and HD for PC and modern consoles.

So Super Sonic Jam is Sonic 1, 2, 3K and CD all remade in the Retro Engine. Now all of the games share features, so you can be Sonic, Tails and Knuckles in any of the games. You can become Super Sonic in Sonic 1 and CD now. Sonic can use the Spindash, Insta-shield, Super Peelout and Drop Dash in all of the games. Tails can now fly in Sonic 2. You can go into the Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 2.

And when you really want to get nuts, you can use Lock-On Technology (TM) to merge all of the games into one gigantic adventure. The split-screen racing mode is no longer limited to just a few levels from Sonic 2 and the kinda bare bones racing levels from Sonic 3, but you can now race your friends in a bunch more levels.

Now, let's say they have a little more time \ money to spend, you throw in Chaotix, too. As far as I know, Chaotix has never been ported to anything else. And now you can play as Sonic & Tails in Chaotix. And the members of the Chaotix in the rest of the games, too. If you don't like being tethered with a rubber band, you can turn it off. And if we got the Chaotix, you might as well throw in Amy as a playable character, too.

And then if that's still not enough for you, this is the Taxman and Stealth remember, so they love to re-add features that were cut from development. Sonic 2's Wood Zone and Sonic CD's R2 and Final Fever might finally get made.

And if that's still not enough, they could always throw in emulated versions of Sonic 1, 2, Chaos, Triple Trouble and Tails Adventure for Game Gear\Master System or 3D Blast \ Spinball \ SegaSonic Arcade \ whatever as a bonus.

Spiderdrake posted:

Just make the next game Sonic SSD. Gotta load fast.
It's a level by level thing, but Palmtree Panic present is kinda off and anyone who hates the game probably hasn't gotten anywhere. I do agree that several of the levels look cool as hell, I about swooned irl at the use of NMM in Metallic Madness good future. That's like the ultimate 80s big painting sci-fi, and it just looks fantastic.

I'm surprised no one ever made a fangame of just like, CD without the time travel gimmick. Just three acts per zone set up like normal Sonic levels.

Metallic Madness looks so drat cool. Metallic Madness Good Future is cool looking in particular, but it's kind of bad as a final level because it looks, well, pleasant and not menacing.

The Bad Futures are often ugly, but they're also cool, because they're basically what happens if Robotnik takes over and remind me a lot of Robotropolis from SatAM \ the Archie comics. If I were to make a Sonic game, Robotropolis would be like Metropolis Zone where you think it's going to be the last level, but then Eggman is like "haha, surprise, I made a new Death Egg!" and then it starts lifting off like the Launch Base zone and you gotta jump into it and that's the real last level.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Sonic CD is not an ugly game, but it is a garish game. And while that's a hell of an aesthetic, it's an impediment to actually interpreting the environment and playing the game.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I think CD runs into the same problem Chaotix does in that it's so enamored of its technology it just throws up as many colors as it can. It works sometimes and sometimes it's just garish. I kind of hate how every version of Tidal Tempest looks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay, on lunch break I was thinking about what the Taxman and Stealth should do after Sonic Mania. I'm gonna pitch a game that would be the Sonic game to end all Sonic games. Here's my pitch:

Remember Sonic Jam for Saturn? Sonic Mega Collection? Well, move over, because it's time for SUPER SONIC JAM

The definitive versions of Sonic 1, 2 and CD are the Taxman's remakes in the retro engine. Unfortunately, 1 and 2 are only for cellphones and Sonic 3 & Knuckles hasn't been done (although the Sonic 3 Complete romhack is the best version of that game.) It's the collection of the best possible versions of all the 16-bit era Sonic games, in wide screen and HD for PC and modern consoles.

So Super Sonic Jam is Sonic 1, 2, 3K and CD all remade in the Retro Engine. Now all of the games share features, so you can be Sonic, Tails and Knuckles in any of the games. You can become Super Sonic in Sonic 1 and CD now. Sonic can use the Spindash, Insta-shield, Super Peelout and Drop Dash in all of the games. Tails can now fly in Sonic 2. You can go into the Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 2.

And when you really want to get nuts, you can use Lock-On Technology (TM) to merge all of the games into one gigantic adventure. The split-screen racing mode is no longer limited to just a few levels from Sonic 2 and the kinda bare bones racing levels from Sonic 3, but you can now race your friends in a bunch more levels.

Now, let's say they have a little more time \ money to spend, you throw in Chaotix, too. As far as I know, Chaotix has never been ported to anything else. And now you can play as Sonic & Tails in Chaotix. And the members of the Chaotix in the rest of the games, too. If you don't like being tethered with a rubber band, you can turn it off. And if we got the Chaotix, you might as well throw in Amy as a playable character, too.

And then if that's still not enough for you, this is the Taxman and Stealth remember, so they love to re-add features that were cut from development. Sonic 2's Wood Zone and Sonic CD's R2 and Final Fever might finally get made.

And if that's still not enough, they could always throw in emulated versions of Sonic 1, 2, Chaos, Triple Trouble and Tails Adventure for Game Gear\Master System or 3D Blast \ Spinball \ SegaSonic Arcade \ whatever as a bonus.

Now I'm gonna be sad that this probably won't happen.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Hey, I had the idea of doing a stream the night before Sonic Mania comes out of various Sonic things throughout the years. Just a collection of different stuff that's related to Sonic both official and unofficial. The OVA, episodes of the various cartoons, trailers, maybe some fan things like Docfuture's Sonic 1 Easy Mode video. Would you guys be interested in that, and if so, do you have any content suggestions?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

definitely sonic 1 easy mode, that should be played right at the end so we can drift off to sleep and wake up to play mania

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mikedawson posted:

Hey, I had the idea of doing a stream the night before Sonic Mania comes out of various Sonic things throughout the years. Just a collection of different stuff that's related to Sonic both official and unofficial. The OVA, episodes of the various cartoons, trailers, maybe some fan things like Docfuture's Sonic 1 Easy Mode video. Would you guys be interested in that, and if so, do you have any content suggestions?

A celebration dedicated to Sonic's favorite food.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shinjobi posted:

Young Shinjobi must have read this book at least 50 times:

i didn't have this book as a kid but my mom borrowed it for me from the library

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Beasteh posted:

definitely sonic 1 easy mode, that should be played right at the end so we can drift off to sleep and wake up to play mania

Lol...drifting off to sleep that day. Like that's possible.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Now I'm gonna be sad that this probably won't happen.

It probably won't, even though the work is already like 50% done on it as Sonic 1, 2 and CD have already been made in the Retro Engine. Sonic 3 & Knuckles isn't but the Taxman wanted to. It probably won't though due to license issues with the music.

The Sonic & Knuckles collection for PC changed the songs to Carnival Night \ Ice Cap \ Launch Base for this reason, probably. It sucks because those songs were cool, along with the Sonic 3 Act 1 Miniboss, but if they have to change the music for legal reasons, it's better than never getting it at all.

I just kind of threw Chaotix out there but it really doesn't have to be done and would just be a bonus. Getting 1/2/CD/3K is the important part.

Schwarzwald posted:

Sonic CD is not an ugly game, but it is a garish game. And while that's a hell of an aesthetic, it's an impediment to actually interpreting the environment and playing the game.

It's garish for sure, as is Chaotix. But for me, this works because remember, this was the 90s and it completely captures that garish late 80's \ early 90's aesthetic. It's basically vaporwave artwork in video game form before hipsters trying to be ironic ever invented vaporwave

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I am going to be so edgy I'll turn into Shadow the Hedgehog waiting for amazon to drop off my CE. I'm legitimately thinking about buying a digital copy just to guarantee I can play it that day. Does anyone have experience with preorders actually showing up on time in the GTA? Amazon is usually very good here but aaaaah aaaaaahh mania.

(The GTA is where I live, for those who do not know what a GTA is in this context)

Gammatron 64 posted:

And when you really want to get nuts, you can use Lock-On Technology (TM) to merge all of the games into one gigantic adventure.
This is basically what I want, except I also want "random mode" where finishing a zone just spits you into another zone from any of the three games.

I hope Mania is successful enough to encourage them to fix whatever is keeping them from releasing the mobile remakes on PC. I'm sure Tee Lopes is more than capable of giving us as good replacement songs.

Although I still don't understand why we're allowed to hear the original music in Sonic 3 in the mega drive hub if this is the problem. (And if you don't have the hub, Gamma, just get it. It's great. The sonic titles are less than a deluxe.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If they remake S3K, they have to relicense the music. If they just reissue the mastered ROM via emulation, then things get hairy.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Macka jaxn

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Macka jaxn

I need egg rock 2 tips

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Although I still don't understand why we're allowed to hear the original music in Sonic 3 in the mega drive hub if this is the problem. (And if you don't have the hub, Gamma, just get it. It's great. The sonic titles are less than a deluxe.)

Is that that steam thing? I downloaded a few and they don't seem to work so well but keep in mind my computer sucks butt. I like the little room with the TV and all the genesis games on a shelf, but it seems to slow everything down.

Plus in my room I have a real Genesis with a flash cart with almost every Genesis \ Mega Drive game ever so I usually just play retro games on the real hardware on an old CRT. It's cool being able to play Sonic romhacks on my actual Genesis.

It's also cool that since I have a Genesis\CD\32X\Master System + an Everdrive, a Dreamcast and a means to burn CD-Rs, I have just about every game made for a Sega system ever at my fingertips. I haven't bothered setting up pseudo Saturn because I use my Saturn action replay for save files, but I would if I ever got another one. I have plenty of legit Saturn games even though half of them are Japanese and therefore cheaper

DoctorWhat posted:

If they remake S3K, they have to relicense the music. If they just reissue the mastered ROM via emulation, then things get hairy.

I know. If they made Super Sonic Jam, I would happily pay a full $60 for it. Have them throw in a bunch of no-effort emulated Game Gear \ Master System ROMs as a bonus so people think they're getting their money's worth. Maybe even say "aw gently caress it" and throw in Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic R and Sonic the Fighters too even though I'm sure nobody cares about those

(Although Sonic R is a guilty pleasure of mine)

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Zelder posted:

No question, it is incredibly busy. But in refining too much, games have lost this "adventurous", "free art" feeling that we used to have before. I like the way that it looked, and looks to this day, experimental, exaggerated, but also like a brute force of creativity and beauty. I like that it is a bit kaleidoscopic at first glance and that you need to focus in order to make sense of it. The artists behind Sonic CD created one hell of a chaotic, different world.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
3d blast genesis has one of the tightest soundtracks in the series

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If you can say nothing else for Tidal Tempest, it has the chillest loving BGM, both the Japanese and US versions.

I prefer the US version for the vocals and, well, it's the version I knew when I was a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYTedTVAdeY

Pshew... phsew...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Andre Banzai posted:

No question, it is incredibly busy. But in refining too much, games have lost this "adventurous", "free art" feeling that we used to have before. I like the way that it looked, and looks to this day, experimental, exaggerated, but also like a brute force of creativity and beauty. I like that it is a bit kaleidoscopic at first glance and that you need to focus in order to make sense of it. The artists behind Sonic CD created one hell of a chaotic, different world.

You ask me, this game is gorgeous as gently caress:

Ultimately what people find aesthetically pleasing is subjective. You and I think that Sonic CD looks cool as gently caress but if someone thinks it's ugly, there's nothing that will convince them.

It's kinda like, either you like particular kinds of music, or you don't. (Both of Sonic CD's soundtracks are really good btw, but I prefer the Japanese\European one even though I grew up with the American version)

That said, if you don't like the music to Sonic CD, Sonic Rush, Streets of Rage and Jet Set Radio you are an inhuman monster

Or rather, a sucker that should be worked to death

WORK DAT SUCKA TO DEATH, COME ON NOW, WORK DAT SUCKA TO DEATH

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I know dusty diamond and both panic puppets are the usual suspects when talking 3d blast gen but tell me this isnt great stuff
https://youtu.be/Le9dTWyXc1E

Shoutouts to the volcano zone too. Also we all know panic puppet 1 is the best song right