Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I'm hoping they swerve and do a review of Pixels instead since it was mentioned in the advertisements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Face the music, if you don't go spend fifteen dollars and two and a half hours of your time in this corporate product you're basically a mysoginist.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think the problem is that since he's a fat white drunkard in Wisconsin, Mike doesn't have the vocabulary, or the class consciousness, or the whatever, to properly articulate the criticism. But he's completely right. The fact that there is now an Asian female X-Wing pilot isn't going to be inspiring to the 14 year old Vietnamese girls Disney pays $1.17 an hour to make t-shirts featuring that character. safe, focus-grouped "representation" in hundred million dollar movies makes some people feel good, but it doesn't actually do anything about systemic racial inequalities in America or the world.

Eh, no. I'm sorry but the argument around representation is some super hollow poo poo coming from the fully represented.

I mean, Finn was played by John Boyega, but diversity wasn't even the main reason. He's black because that way when he gets clowned on by rest of the cast in nearly every scene he's in, the majority white audience laughs instead of going "hmm, people sure do like being a dick to Finn."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

vermin posted:

I'm hoping they swerve and do a review of Pixels instead since it was mentioned in the advertisements.

There was also a dvd copy of The Stupids on his desk. :tinfoil:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When is BoTW going to do Fart: The Movie?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Representation (and getting mad at problematic videos) is basically something you can say you are doing for social classes that clears your conscious of having to actually give money to poor people.

Oh these people who have already been failed by the system are going to watch a movie and the inspiration alone is all they need to move up, we don't need to give anyone any more means, raise wages, or spend money.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
I'm fully expecting a swerve because there's not much else to discuss about Ghostbusters 2016 that they haven't already discussed in length in multiple videos.

If they actually did do a Ghostbusters 2016 review, I'm sure it'll be entertaining but at this point it's not terribly necessary unless they come at it from a completely unexpected angle. I'd probably get more entertainment out of a video on Airbender or kicking off a Matrix trilogy of reviews, which is what I've wanted since I watched the Star Wars reviews.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

True their HitB was already almost feature length and really broke it down

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Sure, but did it have creepy skits featuring a kidnapped hooker?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah, I hope the person above was right and that this becomes an exercise in talking about comedy films.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

the good fax machine posted:

Sure, but did it have creepy skits featuring a kidnapped hooker?

Yeah Rich was in the whole thing *slide whistle*

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, I hope the person above was right and that this becomes an exercise in talking about comedy films.

I think it has to be this, I've seen it come up as a theme in their videos over and over again, I think Mike really just wants to rip into lazy comedy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

How do they feel about Ghostbusters 2?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

General Dog posted:

I don't think they've gone into it much.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

General Dog posted:

They did a Re:View of the original and basically refused to talk about 2, so I assume they don't have positive feelings about it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vaguido posted:

They did a Re:View of the original and basically refused to talk about 2, so I assume they don't have positive feelings about it.

I'm thinking that could be the bait and switch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vaguido posted:

I mean, they're people with eyes and ears, so I assume they don't have positive feelings about Ghostbusters 2.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ghostbusters 2 is a bad movie, but Vigo and the goo tanks were cool. I get the feeling you could have retooled the script into an okay movie without having to start over completely.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the statue of liberty and the guy from ally mcbeal, and viggo, and the river of slime, and the hanging judge ghost, and the developing photos that are so evil they set the room on fire.

Lots of good scenes and elements in a vacuum, it just doesn't fit together coherently and isn't particularly funny. I do think it is scarier than the original.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

gently caress movies!

http://i.imgur.com/kZrnaMR.gifv

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

General Dog posted:

https://redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/track/ghostbusters-2-half-in-the-bag-commentary-track

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I like the statue of liberty and the guy from ally mcbeal, and viggo, and the river of slime, and the hanging judge ghost, and the developing photos that are so evil they set the room on fire.

Lots of good scenes and elements in a vacuum, it just doesn't fit together coherently and isn't particularly funny. I do think it is scarier than the original.

Yeah there were a lot of really good parts in the movie but the thing as a whole sucked.

This scene used to scare me as a kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb6tz6ohprw

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Do you guys not know they did a commentary track for Ghostbusters 2?

efb

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The scene where Murray was taunting the painting as he took pictures of it had a lot of tension. I was like "gently caress, this painting is gonna loving kill him"

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Neat, the RLM guys are posting their next Plinkett review on my anniversary. Maybe I should make some pizza rolls for dinner...

General Dog posted:

Pontypool is dope

There's another one that slipped my mind, doing more with less, and convincing me to sit through another not-zombie zombie movie.

Also it features something truly scary to many Canadians being forced to talk en français

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Ghostbusters 2 is as good as the first one.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I like Ghostbusters 2 because it's still better than 99.99% of comedies.

It's just not anywhere near as good as Ghostbusters, which frankly is the perfect comedy, so it catches poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
No Small Parts (a neat video series about smaller/character actors and their roles on youtube) had an interesting one on Norbert Grupe, the guy who played Viggo in Ghostbusters 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi0tAryAbLE

Spoiler: He's a huge racist rear end in a top hat

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ghostbusters 2 is not that bad.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Ghostbusters 2 is not that bad.

Every couple of years I forget why I dislike Ghostbusters 2. And then I watch it and remember all the really bad stuff.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I always wondered what it would be like to float down that river of slime...

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I actually like almost everything about GB2 except the ending.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I didn't know nerds didn't like GB2

GRANTED, I haven't seen it since I was a kid but I remember liking it

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Yeah I didn't know nerds didn't like GB2

GRANTED, I haven't seen it since I was a kid but I remember liking it

If you watch both movies back to back you'll see why GB2 is bad, but as a kid I saw the second one before the first one so I have big nostalgia for it.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Didn't see it posted already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqg6ByCwmLk

Rich and Jack correctly identify that Player Unknown's Battlegrounds is, in fact, bad. The comments go berserk

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I rewatched star war: the force awakens last night with the family.... And besides my daughter constantly trying to figure out which characters were connected to people in the star wars cartoon she watches, I noticed something: the movie moves way too fast and also the camera is always whipping all over the place. It's like a fuckin Micheal Bay movie or something. Also the storm trooper guy is pathetically useless. And it was even more obvious this time around how much they're telegraphing the dark Vader Jr's turn to the good side in the third movie...

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have no idea what that game is but I think that means the game is good and I should play it.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

a star war betamax posted:

I rewatched star war: the force awakens last night with the family.... And besides my daughter constantly trying to figure out which characters were connected to people in the star wars cartoon she watches, I noticed something: the movie moves way too fast and also the camera is always whipping all over the place. It's like a fuckin Micheal Bay movie or something. Also the storm trooper guy is pathetically useless. And it was even more obvious this time around how much they're telegraphing the dark Vader Jr's turn to the good side in the third movie...

Everybody in the world already knows so much about Star Wars that they really don't have to bother developing anything in the new movies, or anything else Star Wars related. It's the easiest thing in the world to work with, and because of that it's probably impossible for most people in Hollywood to avoid being lazy. They know they don't have to bother working on the setting and backstory, and I doubt they can switch that laziness off when it comes to anything else. That laziness was really obvious in Rogue One, where it was clear the only time they put any effort in the dialog was when they needed lines for the trailer.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Berious posted:

Didn't see it posted already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqg6ByCwmLk

Rich and Jack correctly identify that Player Unknown's Battlegrounds is, in fact, bad. The comments go berserk

It is a simple brawling game for teenagers. I can't escape the feeling that their main complaint stems from them being absolutely terrible in the game. Just imagine Jack playing that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I have no idea what that game is but I think that means the game is good and I should play it.

Yeah I am definitely going to have to try it out now

• Locked thread